• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
April 23 [Nature]

April 23

I woke up right away because I was already eager to go trotting with a bunch of people in the run. I poked Aric with my hoof to wake him up and then I remembered I was supposed to tell him about Meghan and my ears dropped 'cause I really didn't want to. He might be mad and then I would spend all day being grouchy because he'd yelled at me or told me I couldn't come over any more and I decided it would take too long anyway and I didn't have a whole lot of time this morning before I had to get to the nature center to race.

Plus he had woken up and had one hand on my rump and that was pretty distracting.

I let him have his fun for a little bit and then when he started to roll towards me, I pushed his shoulder back down with my hoof and straddled his chest and teased him with my tail then stretched out on his chest and let him put his arms around my back.

He usually didn't last as long when I took charge but that was okay. I tried to stretch it out as long as I could, both for him and for me.

Aric knew right where the nature center was so he took me there after we had breakfast. He'd bought some oats because I liked them and he also had some cans of anchovies for me. I liked those even more since Aric made funny faces when I ate them.

It didn't take us too long to find Peggy, and she had already entered me in the race and had a number I was supposed to wear. She had fastened hers to her shirt right over her stomach but it wasn't so easy to figure out where to put it on me.

Aric said I ought to wear it on my tail, and that turned out to be the best idea we could come up with. Peggy went to her car and got a couple of hair ties and looped one around my tail just below my dock and pinned the number to that. It felt weird, but it would work.

Then we went up to the starting area and there were lots of people waiting around for the race to start. Peggy said that they were staggering the starting times so that not everyone would go at once because otherwise it would be too crowded.

There were three groups that went before us, and then it was our turn.

The whole race was a lot of fun. We went from the main building where the exhibits were right out into the wood and ran along there for a little while before we came out on the top of a ridge which the trail followed.

I definitely could have done better on my own, even without flying. But it would have been rude to leave Peggy behind, so I kept her pace. It was still a bit frustrating seeing people who I knew I could outrun passing us by.

She ran a little faster after we passed the last kilometer marker. I think it was her competitive spirit kicking in, encouraged by the fact that some people who hadn't paced themselves that well were tiring out. Then we got to pass some of the people who had passed by us earlier.

Still, we didn't win—not by a long shot. Right at the end we were passed by a man who had started in the group after us, and I really didn't need to look at times to know that we hadn't done all that well.

There was a table at the end of the race which had bottles of water for the runners and Peggy took one and splashed it on her face and head and then drank the rest. She told me that she used to like running more but then she got boobs and it wasn't as fun after that.

When the last runner had finished they presented awards and then had a free picnic but we had to listen to a speech from a woman who told us about what the nature center was about and how we could become members. I didn't mind; it was a nice cool-down from the race.

After we'd eaten, Aric and Peggy and I decided that since we were here we might as well walk some more of the trails. So we started out on one that looped to the north and went through the woods for a while and then turned and went right next to the railroad tracks.

When we got back to the lodge Aric looked at the trail map to see which one we could go to next and I said that I had to go to the bathroom and Peggy said she was going to come with me.

As soon as the bathroom door had swung shut behind us Peggy asked how Aric had felt and I said that I hadn't told him yet. Peggy swatted my head and told me that I was a bad pony that I had promised I would tell him and I said that I was going to and she made me swear that I would tonight before we went to bed.

I asked her if she was mad at me and she said that she wasn't mad, but she didn't think that I knew how much of a big deal this kind of thing could be for people and the longer I dragged it on the worse it could get when it all came out—and she said that it would, sooner or later.

Well that made me kind of mad because she had been the one who had told me I was supposed to keep it secret and maybe I would have told Aric about Meghan or Meghan about Aric but I wasn't supposed to tell anyone and Peggy said that that wasn't meant to be permission to sleep with whoever I wanted to.

And then I felt kind of dumb because I probably should have asked what human relationships were like sooner and it wasn't Peggy's fault and I said that I was afraid I was going to screw up and lose all my friends and she said that my real friends would stay with me and gave me a tight hug and I cried into her shoulder a little bit.

The three of us spent the rest of the afternoon at the nature center looking at the exhibits and walking around another trail and then Peggy said that she was going to get back to campus because she had some important work to do and that she'd be at her desk all night long and all day tomorrow too, and then she headed off to Cobalt.

Aric said that she'd been in a kind of weird mood all afternoon and wondered if I'd noticed as well. I said that I wanted to walk on the hawk trail so we went out that way and when we got to the top there was a little deck where you could see around the whole valley.

I told him that I needed to tell him something, and he sat down and I hopped onto the bench next to him and there really wasn't a good way to start so I told him everything and said that I hadn't meant to hurt him but that I didn't know that it was wrong to do that and then I started crying again because he hadn't said anything yet and I thought for sure he was going to tell me that he never wanted to see me again but he leaned over and hugged me and said that it was okay and he wasn't mad.

Then he asked if it was the Meghan from bell choir and I told him it was and he thought that was really funny and asked if there were any other girls in bell choir that I was sleeping with and I slapped him with my wing. But it did lighten the mood a little bit.

He said that he wasn't going to be the one to tell me that my friendship with Meghan was wrong, and he wasn't going to try and force humanity's morals on me.

Then he leaned over and kissed me and told me that he was hungry and we ought to get something to eat.

We went to Jimmy John's and got some subs and we stopped at the beer store and got some beer and he asked me how I felt about spending the night out in the woods and looking up at the stars and I thought that was a great idea even though it might be a bit chilly. So we stopped at his house long enough for him to load blankets and a mattress which he called a thermorest into the back of Winston and then drove out the same way we had before and turned into the little clearing.

We sat on the tailboard and drank beer and talked and looked up at the moon and stars and he pointed out the constellations he knew and after we'd run out of beer we curled up together under the blankets.

PreviousChapters Next