• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,359 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,359

PreviousChapters Next
March 4 [up north]

March 4

I thought about skipping out on my morning exercise, but then I'd be all antsy through class and I'd probably wind up hurting myself when I went snowboarding because I hadn't exercised enough. So I trotted around the neighborhood to limber up and then repeated pretty much the same route in the air. Then before I took my shower, I met with Gates.

He gave me a small duffel bag full of equipment. There was his GoPro in there, still attached to the helmet (and now the ear-holes were bigger and they had a cloth tape around the edges to protect my ears) along with extra batteries, a battery charger, and a bunch of little postage-stamp sized memory cards. He explained how to use them all, and said that I'd probably need Peggy's help to change out the equipment, but that was okay.

He told me that if I wasn't sure of whether I ought to be recording something or not, to just record it. He'd go through the movies later and edit them. Gates said that there were enough batteries and memory cards there that I could record from the moment we left campus until the moment we got back and we wouldn't run out.

I thanked him and nuzzled his cheek, then hurried back to the dorm to set aside his gear and take a shower.

I had expected to just turn in our maps, but the professor wanted each of us to go over them and tell the class why we'd come up with the answers we had.

He'd ask specific questions about how we'd come up with our answers for a specific town on the map. When it got to me, he asked about Ilium—and I thought he might. I had a much lower snowfall total for Ilium than anybody else in the class.

The professor reminded me that Ilium was at the eastern end of a long freshwater lake, and I agreed that it was, and the fetch of the wind would be the entire lake, but when it made landfall, the snow wouldn't start coming down right away; it would be a bit inland before it really started snowing. Maybe the very eastern edge of Ilium would get the beginnings of the storm.

I admitted that the major variable would be when ice started forming on the lake. It would naturally want to pile up on the eastern shore, which would have the effect of moving 'land' lakeward, and would increase the amount of snowfall, but I'd estimated that the ice cover would have to be a few kilometers into the lake before that had a significant effect on the snowfall.

He nodded and said that I had made a very reasonable conclusion with the information he had provided.

When I sat back down and the professor's attention was on a different student, Crystal Dawn leaned over and whispered into my ear, asking me how I'd known that. I told her how important the water budget was, and how we worked with natural features rather than against them. I said that if she wanted, I could meet with her after class on Monday and show her how to calculate that if she wanted to.

The professor must have overheard us, because all of a sudden he called my name and then asked what we'd been talking about that was more important than the weather in Bayport, and so I told him what I'd told Crystal Dawn.

He got a thoughtful look on his face and then said that for an extra credit assignment, he was going to let anyone who wanted to come up with a plan for managing the weather in any one place on their map, and that I could help students and then grade the assignments.

I wasn't sure if he was praising me or punishing me, so I just said that I'd do it.

That was a lot of work I hadn't intended, and right before I was going to leave for the weekend, too. I had to make a lot of estimations—I figured that the easiest way to express it was how many millimeters of rain over how much of an area one pegasus could be expected to add or subtract. The numbers weren't exact, but they were close enough.

I didn't have time before philosophy to translate my scribbled notes into something readable, so I decided that I would write the professor a computer letter later, and he could just send copies to all the students.

Sartre said that humans had no purpose before they were born, and the teacher likened it to a paper cutter, which had no specific purpose. I didn't think that was a good example: a paper cutter is meant to cut paper. Maybe that's not what it gets used for; maybe the person who buys the paper cutter never cuts a single sheet of paper with it, but that doesn't change the purpose of the thing. A craftsperson would make a paper cutter for cutting paper, even if they haven't got control of how it gets used once they sell it.

But I did agree that we ponies weren't pre-destined to be anything; we had to go out and find our special talents before we got our cutie marks. If we'd been pre-destined to be what we were, we would have been born with cutie marks. That much was obvious to me.

Humans don't even have cutie marks, but some of them put on tattoos of things that are important to them.

I ate a quick lunch and stopped at the mail hut. I'd gotten another letter from Aquamarine, but I didn't have time to read it: I went back to my dorm room to send my notes to the climate science professor, then I went to Equestrian class.

I told Meghan and Lisa and Becky that I was going snowboarding at a resort for the weekend, which would be my second road trip and they said to have fun, and Meghan warned me to not hurt myself. I said that I would be careful, and I would tell Peggy to be careful, too.

When class was over, I hurried back to our dorm room. Peggy wanted to leave as soon as she got out of class, and I wasn't going to be the one to hold her up. Aside from the bag of cameras, everything was already packed in the car.

I checked real quick to see if I had any new computer messages, and I did; one was from my climate professor thanking me for the calculations, and then there was another message from him which he'd sent to everyone in the class which was just the numbers I'd told him. There was also an offer for discounted Viagra, but I didn't open that one because I didn't know who'd sent it and it was important not to open computer letters if you don't know where they came from.

When Peggy came in, I'd turned on my Facebook and updated my status to 'going snowboarding' and I couldn’t decide if I should add anything else to that.

We both used the bathroom which is important before you leave on a trip, and then got in Cobalt and left town.

After about an hour of driving, we got to a big city called Grand Rapids, and Peggy asked me where I wanted to eat for dinner. I said that I liked Taco Bell. She said that was okay, but if I started farting, I was going to be putting on my magnetic hoof boots and riding on the trunk the rest of the way to the resort.

I thought that was worth the risk, so we went in the little drive-through lane, and then got back on the road with our food. I hadn’t noticed when I was on the trip with Meghan and Lisa and Becky, but the little packages of sauce have inspirational messages on them.

There was a big curve on a bridge over a river, which Peggy said scared her every time she drove over it and there were a lot of accidents on it, and she said that she'd heard it used to be worse, but it had been fixed about fifteen years ago.

The farther north we got, the less and less there was around the road, but I didn't mind. I looked out the windows at the farms and woodlots that we passed. Pretty soon there was just forest on both sides of the road, interrupted by the occasional small town. Peggy pointed out a forest of pine trees that were all in straight rows. She said that people had planted these forests, but she wasn’t sure why, and there were a lot of them like that in the northern lower peninsula.

Not long after dark we stopped at a rest area, then we got back on the highway, which stopped being a highway once we got a little ways past Cadillac—which is both the name of a town and the name of a car.

We finally got to the ski resort. It was a bit of a problem to check into our room; the person at the counter had trouble figuring out how my card worked or something and then he wanted to see some other identification, so I had to show him first my student ID and then my passport but after that he was pretty efficient and gave us little cards for our room and even had a man help us bring all our luggage up.

Our room was about the same size as the dorm room, although it felt a bit smaller because the beds were bigger. There was a bathroom with a toilet and shower, and there was also a small hot tub that sat next to the bathroom but looked over the rest of the room. Then on one wall there was a small icebox and a microwave and a television, and there were a couple of chairs by a desk.

Peggy told me that I could have whichever bed I wanted, so I chose the one closest to the window. She went into the bathroom and came out in her lounging clothes, then she opened a plastic box she'd brought called a cooler and took a beer out for each of us, and we sat on my bed and drank beer and talked about what we were going to do tomorrow. There was a folder that listed all the fun things that we could do at the resort, which was a lot. There was an outdoor pool that sounded like it might be fun and they even had a spa.

Once we'd made our plans for tomorrow, we each had another beer to celebrate and then we both went to bed so that we could get up early and go snowboarding.

PreviousChapters Next