• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
August 1 [Flight to Indiana]

August 1

Monday morning wasn't as relaxing as Sunday morning had been. Meghan's alarm woke us both up, and we could only snuggle until it went off the second time, and then she had to get up so that she would have enough time to take a shower and get ready for work.

But we had our morning routine pretty well established, and so I got breakfast set out and then brushed her hair and didn't help her dress because that would have slowed her down (I helped a little by getting out underwear that I liked). And after breakfast we'd been working together so well that we had a little time to snuggle before her friend came, but I had to be careful not to mess up her hair or her clothes.

I flew low back to my apartment and then got all my gear together. If things went well, this was going to be the longest flight I'd ever accomplished on Earth. I was pretty sure I could do it, as long as I didn't do anything dumb.

I got all my gear ready, and I thought about taking some food along, although it would be really difficult to get to it in flight. That was something I would have to think about when the time came to fly to Chicago; I couldn't count on there being a cloud where I could land and have a snack, and I really didn't want to land on a boat if I could help it.

So then I thought that the smartest idea would be to take some food in case I needed it, but to hopefully not eat any of it, and if I could do that, I knew that I could make Chicago.

I had to take my airplane radio, but I left the other behind, and I thought about leaving the GoPro, too, but it really didn't weigh all that much and it wasn't really in the way when I flew.

I called the airplane directors and said what I was going to do, and they gave me permission to fly. Dori said that it would be okay to fly southwest to the 131 Highway, climbing over town, as long as I looked out for other airplanes and could get there in less than a half hour. I said that I would—if I got over the 131 Highway where it crossed the 94 Highway, I could do that in less than a half hour, even climbing all the way, without pushing myself too much for so early in the trip.

She said that would put me in their control zone for my climbout, and she could keep other airplanes away from me.

I thanked her and she wished me good luck on my flight, and then I took off from the balcony, went under the tree and the power wires, then started climbing. I couldn't see the highway yet but I was familiar enough with this part of Kalamazoo that I knew where it was even when I couldn't see it.

I did a real slow, gentle climb, to save energy, and when I got over Western Michigan University, I changed my course a little bit to take advantage of the weak thermal over their parking lots. It was too early to get much of anything off it, because the sun hadn't really had a chance to warm it up, but I'd take whatever free energy I could get.

By the time I'd gotten to the little curve of lakes and woods near the intersection, I was at four thousand feet, and I called Dori and told her where I was and how high I was flying, and then I crossed over the highways and kept climbing. I only had to change course a little bit to stay alongside the 131 Highway, because it turned right near that intersection.

I topped out at about five thousand feet, because I didn't think it was worth it to gain much more altitude. The winds were a little bit from the west but not too much—if they'd been stronger, I would have tried to fly over or under them to get more favorable conditions.

I let Dori know when I'd passed by the pair of lakes off to the east of the 131 Highway, because that was about where the airport's air control area ended. And then I kept going.

I knew Schoolcraft kinda well, since I'd flown over it before, but after that the land got a little bit unfamiliar. It was lots more fields, mostly, with rows of trees along the boundaries of them, and sometimes also patches of forest that stretched across a lot of fields.

There was a set of railroad tracks that ran kind of parallel to the highway, and another set that crossed them on the south side of Schoolcraft, and it was kind of nice to be following them along with the highway. I was pretty sure that this was the same tracks that ran alongside the river trail where me and Meghan had been walking yesterday, and as I flew my mind kind of wandered and I thought that maybe if she should have followed the tracks instead of the trail. Trails didn't always go anywhere interesting, but railroad tracks usually did, because it was a lot more work to build them.

The highway made a couple of jogs, but the railroad tracks stayed straight until I could see Three Rivers ahead of me, and then they curved off and I lost them in town, because they were going southeast and I was going southwest.

South of town the highway turned again, to avoid a big boggy area around some curves in a river, and then it turned again to go around the next town, which was called Constantine.

I followed it around the edge of town, even though I could have taken a shortcut. I didn't want to, because when I was flying over Lake Michigan, there weren't going to be any shortcuts.

I paid attention to the curves of the road and what buildings on the ground were easy to see from the air. And I also looked behind me every now and then to get a sense of what things would look like when I went the other way, because sometimes what seemed like an obvious landmark when you were flying one way wasn't so obvious when you were going back the other way.

I passed by another town that was on my east which I knew was called White Pigeon, and that was right near the border of Indiana, and the 80 90 Highway wasn't too far beyond that. I could see a big road that I thought was probably it ahead of me, but I couldn't be sure until I got closer.

The tracks crossed the highway south of White Pigeon and raced off to the southwest, and I didn't think I'd be seeing them again once I'd crossed over them. They were going through fields and not around a river or anything, which meant that their next destination wasn't along the 131 Highway.

And then the 131 Highway made another big curve to the west, and before it straightened all the way back out again, it crossed the 80 90 Highway, so I made a big turn and then started going north again.

I had assumed that the border between Michigan and Indiana would have been pretty obvious, but I couldn't see anything that looked like it was a border. The boundaries of fields weren't in a constant straight line except for where a road ran alongside a couple of fields, but none of the roads went far enough to be roads at the border. But I was sure I'd crossed it; there hadn't been any other big highways on the map. And it felt like I'd flown far enough to be there.

I circled again while I tried to decide if it was worth dropping down far enough to clearly read the signs on the highway, but I decided not to. I was sure that this was it; I could account for all the towns I should have passed on my way.

So when my circle pointed me back north, I flew off along the 131 Highway again.

The highway was such an easy path to follow, I think I could have not bothered looking at landmarks on my way down.

Like I had when I flew to Grand Rapids, I followed some cars with my eyes for as long as I could. There was a big boxy ambulance with its lights flashing that passed under me just after I got to Constantine, and I could see it all the way until it got off the highway in Three Rivers.

And after that, a train came along the tracks from behind me, and it wasn't going all that fast. A little bit faster than me, and it was long enough that I could barely see the front of it, but then it slowed down and stopped, and before I'd gotten back to the front of it, I saw another train crossing in front of it, through Schoolcraft.

I wonder how trains decide who gets to go first? They have signal lights like for cars, but I don't think that train signals go through a cycle like car signals do.

I could see Kalamazoo ahead of me, and I was glad for that, because I was starting to get a little bit tired. I still had a ways to go, too.

Once I was past Schoolcraft, I called Dori and told here where I was and how high I was flying, and she said that I could keep on my course, and that I should give her a call again when I got over the 131 and 94 Highway crossing, and she'd see if she could give me a vector straight in.

And she asked how I was feeling, and I said that I was tired, but I was feeling pretty proud of myself for having flown all that distance.

I was out of water in my camelback, and I was starting to get thirsty, and it was kind of tempting to try and rush for home, but I'd just wind up exhausting myself quicker if I did.

When I got over the crossing, I called her again and she said I could make a descending straight-in approach to my apartment, and that was good news because that meant I could glide some of the remaining distance. Of course the wind had shifted a little bit and now it was almost in my face, robbing me of speed.

There was a trick to use headwinds to your advantage, and I knew some of the mares on my team had known how to do it, but I'd never figured out how to do it right, and now wasn't the time to try and learn a new trick, so I just kept flying, over the little winding neighborhoods and then over Western Michigan's campus, angling towards the bright green tennis courts at the edge, which almost line me up with my apartment.

My landing back on my balcony wasn't especially graceful, but that was okay. I called Dori one last time and told her that I'd landed, and then I went inside and stripped off my gear and went right to the shower. I was covered in lather and my wings didn't want to pull all the way in, and my throat was completely dry so I stepped right into the bathtub and held my head up and caught the water in my mouth and drank a little bit, then let the water run over me. I think that I was steaming a little bit, I was so hot, and I knew I'd be sore tomorrow. Even so, I was really happy because I'd gone about a hundred miles, and I hadn't stopped once, which meant that I could make it to Chicago.

I was going to have to call Mister Salvatore and tell him.

I thought about when I wanted to go while I was rinsing off. Not before I went to Stratford, that was for sure. I could take it easy tomorrow, do some light wing exercise and legwork, and then another long flight on Wednesday to make sure I was ready, then I'd have a long weekend to relax, and I could fly over the lake on Monday or Tuesday, depending on when we got back and what the weather was like.

When I got out of the shower, I put my towel over my back and went into the unused bedroom to snack on some hay, then I laid on my back on the futon and stretched out my wings. It took a bit of shifting around to find a comfortable position, and no matter what I did, they'd get sore if I left them in one position too long, so I kept having to adjust myself a little bit.

I got up after about an hour and had another snack and drink of water, then I tried to decide if it was worth it to go to the store to get more food for dinner, or just eat what I had and buy some fresh food at the farmer's market tomorrow.

The second idea was more appealing to me, so I opened the balcony door to let more breeze in and set the papasan right next to it and got a book of Kipling's poems and read through it, letting my imagination wander.

I wonder what he would have thought about flying along over a highway? I think he would have liked it.

By the time I'd finished the poems in the book, I was hungry for dinner, so I went and made a plate of vegetables and put more hay on them and ate that in the papasan chair, then I sent a telephone telegram to Meghan letting her know that I'd had a really good flight today and asking if she'd made us a spa appointment, and she said that she had, and that it was this Wednesday.

That was good, 'cause I'd be well-groomed for our visit to Gusty.

I made sure that it was late enough that I could do a long flight and then I thought that I ought to tell Mister Salvatore that I was ready to fly to Chicago next week, but I decided that I could just as easily tell him tomorrow, and I was getting kind of sleepy, so I closed the balcony door because I didn't want to wake up with a bird nesting in my mane, and curled up on my futon.

PreviousChapters Next