• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,367 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,367

PreviousChapters Next
February 27 [snowboarding]

February 27

For as much as she likes to sleep in during the week, when there's something fun planned Peggy can get up early. She was getting dressed when I woke up, and I'm usually up well before she is.

I got out of bed as she was pulling on her UCCS sweatshirt, and she told me that she'd already started Cobalt so it could warm up and melt the snow off.

It didn't take me nearly as long to get ready as it took Peggy, plus she added a bunch more clothes to take with her to put on when she got there. I got out my scarf and hat—which I haven't worn yet this year—in case it was really cold up there.

She said that we could get breakfast on the way if I didn't mind fast food. I didn't mind; I was eager to get going.

We made one stop at a restaurant called Tim Horton's. I had a blueberry muffin and a B.E.L.T. without the bacon, so I guess that makes it an E.L.T. And they had really good coffee: I'm not normally a coffee drinker, but Peggy insisted that I try some. It was rich and buttery, and went very well with my food.

The ski resort wasn't as far as I thought it was, and we got there just as the sun was coming up. I'd expected a big mountain, but it wasn't much more than a tall hill. Peggy said that that's all there was in Michigan, unfortunately. This one was called Bittersweet and Peggy said that it was one of the best that was close to campus. She told me that if we had fun here, we could go to one that was better but further away next weekend.

She got the rest of the way dressed behind Cobalt, and took our snowboards out of the car. Hers had little binders that her boots hooked into; since I didn't have any of the special boots, I was going to ride it barehoof. Peggy thought that would work; she said it would be just like surfing, and then said that if it did work we could call it snowsurfboarding.

The man at the ticket window was really confused about why I wanted a ticket, and I said that I was going snowboarding with Peggy. She'd modified one of her boards so that I could use it, and I was really looking forward to trying it out.

He was dubious, but finally accepted Peggy's money and gave us each a waiver to sign that (Peggy said) meant if we got hurt, it was our fault not theirs.

She thought that we ought to start off with something simple to make sure that I could ride the board. There were several lifts that carried people up to the top of the hill, which seemed easy enough for people to use but a bit more complicated for me. We decided that she could ride the lift up with our snowboards and I would just fly alongside.

That got a lot of attention, more than I would have liked. I guess nobody here had ever seen a pegasus flying next to a chair lift.

When we got to the top, Peggy walked out of the way and to the start of the route, strapped on her snowboard and set mine down next to her—not so close that we would crash into each other.

She gave me a quick run-through of how the snowboard worked, and reminded me that if things were going out of control I could just fly to safety and we'd get the board back later. She also told me that she'd probably wind up doing things that I couldn't, because the board was fastened to her feet, but mine wouldn't be attached to my hooves.

I was super-excited to try it, so I got going like Peggy told me to and pretty soon I was rushing down the hill, tilting side to side experimentally to steer the board. Broad turns were okay, but when I tried to turn farther, I felt myself slipping off the board and had to hold out my wings to help me follow the same line the board wanted to take.

I made it partway down before the snowboard's bow got caught in snow and skidded me off its front. Luckily, my wings were out, so there was no harm done: I just skimmed above the snowpack for a few meters before I thought to stop.

Peggy came up right next to me to make sure I was okay, and I retrieved my stuck board and finished my trip down the hill, only falling off four more times.

We made a dozen or so more trips down that hill until I'd figured out more or less how the snowboard ought to work with me on it. The trickiest challenge was keeping it underhoof: whenever I did anything too abrupt, the snowboard would want to go one way even if I wanted to go a different way.

When we were both sure I had a good idea of the basics and how to avoid a bad crash, Peggy asked me if I wanted to move on to something a little more challenging. I knew that I was holding her back, so I said that I did. I thought I was ready to handle any trail.

This time, Peggy took a different chair lift, and since I'd figured out how to steer the board, we took a curvier trail down. I only lost the board once on a turn.

I could tell that Peggy was having a lot of fun and so was I. It was nice to be outside instead of cooped up inside the buildings on campus.

We stayed on that hill until it was lunchtime. Their main building which is called a lodge had a restaurant inside of it, which was about the same as the Quad Stop had been. There wasn't a whole lot that Peggy said I could or should eat, so I had a basket of fries and a fish sandwich which I didn't finish because it was disgusting. Whatever kind of fish that was ought to be ashamed.

We also had hot chocolate, and that was really good. At least they know how to make proper hot chocolate.

Throughout the afternoon we moved on to more challenging trails. I'd gotten good enough that I almost always made it to the bottom without falling off my snowboard. Peggy started to leave me on my own a little bit, letting me get a head start down the trail and then catching up about midway down.

It was getting crowded and I had to be more careful not to run into anybody. Peggy and I had started to get a bit of a following; other skiers and snowboarders were clustering around us on the trail. There were a couple of men who were showing off in front of Peggy, trying to get her attention, like when a stallion puffs himself up and does acrobatics so that you'll notice him. Some of them were doing it to me, too, cutting really close and once one of them made me almost crash.

I'd started to get a bit tired from all the balancing I was doing, and had been riding the chair up with Peggy (it actually wasn't that difficult if I flew into it) and she thought that we could mess with them a little bit. She said that there was a little hummock about halfway down and I could bury the nose of my snowboard in it and then fly off the rest of the way down the hill. She said she'd stay behind and pick up the board.

That sounded like it would be fun, so I did it like she said. A bunch of the men were still trailing behind me (they liked to pass me just beyond that little hump) and when I was almost there, I shifted my weight forward to drop the bow of the board and spread my wings.

It worked just like Peggy had hoped. The board dug itself into the snow and I gave one pump as I felt my hooves skid, then I was soaring above the trail. I heard a couple of them gasping in surprise.

I was feeling a bit showoff-y, and I dropped down and followed the path as if I were still on the snowboard, but of course I didn't have to worry about keeping it underhoof. The open air is nice because you can fly wherever you want to, but sometimes it's really fun to follow a path down a mountainside and dodge around trees and rocks and stuff. Obstacle courses in the sky aren't quite as thrilling because there's no penalty for getting it wrong.

One of them did manage to keep up with me and I considered pulling up sharply but that wouldn't have been sporting. We raced together to the bottom of the hill, and when we broke into the flat area at the end I tilted my body back and braked, while he spun his board sideways and dug it into the snow.

He lifted his goggles up so he could see me better and I flew right up to him, and we just stayed there studying each other for a moment, then he held out his fist and told me that I had good moves.

I bumped him lightly with my hoof and said that he did as well.

Peggy arrived and made a little half-circle around him, all while holding on to my snowboard. She kinda studied him and looked down at the tags hanging from his jacket, then tilted her head towards the chairlift.

While we were riding back up she said that if I didn't mind, she was going to try a few quick runs down the hill. I could follow if I wanted to, or I could hang out at the top and watch.

I asked her if I could follow along in the air, and she said that would be okay, but wasn't sure where I could leave the snowboard because if I left it on the hill, someone would steal it.

I had the perfect solution to that; I stashed it up in a tree, making sure that it was firmly wedged in the branches. Nobody could get to it up there, I was sure.

Peggy said that I was like a leopard dragging home my kill. I stuck my tongue out at her.

I had been right that I was holding her back. She zipped down the hill in no time at all, effortlessly darting across the trail and around slower people. She was as graceful as any pegasus in flight, leaning and twisting her body and using the snowboard like it was part of her own body. She was easily one of the best snowboarders I'd seen all day.

Her little troop of followers tried to emulate her, but most of them weren't good enough. The guy I'd met at the bottom of the hill kept up, and a couple of others did, but most of them were left far behind.

We met up down at the bottom and she rode the lift up to try again. I noticed that she was waiting until the little group that had been following us was at the top and in position before she headed down the hill. That worked out well for me; it gave me time to get up in the air so I could follow her course.

After a half-dozen runs, she said that we ought to have some dinner, and then she was going to play on the black diamond trail for a little bit. I got my snowboard back out of the tree and we both went down the trail together.

We got our food (I just had fries) and sat down at a table, and I noticed a couple of the boys who had been showing off around us sat at the next table. They stayed there, just watching us and talking quietly among themselves. I thought one of them was going to come over, but he was just getting a new drink and our table was between him and the pop machine.

It was getting dark when we went back outside, but just like the roads in town, the trails were lighted and it was easy to see.

Peggy and I took different trails for a while: the black diamond trail that she wanted to go down was probably too advanced for me. I thought I could probably do it, but I didn't want to hold her up rescuing me or my snowboard, so I stuck with the easier course that I knew and let her have her fun on the complicated one. Each time we'd meet up at the bottom and go take the chairlift back up again.

We stayed until the resort closed for the night. I was exhausted, and I think Peggy was, too. She stripped off her over-pants and coat and put them and the snowboards back in the trunk, and we drove home.

Back in the dorm, we each had a beer to celebrate a good Saturday, and I said that if we stayed up much later we'd be toasting a good Sunday.

Neither of us had the energy to shower. Peggy said that she was going to do laundry tomorrow anyway, and changed into her sleeping clothes. I thought that was a pretty good excuse, and so I said I would do my laundry tomorrow as well.

PreviousChapters Next