• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,359 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,359

PreviousChapters Next
June 2 [Apartment Hunting]

June 2

While we were cuddling in bed, I told Aric that he needed more seeds for the feeder, 'cause they were running out and soon the birds would be hungry.

He said that if I wasn't raiding it every time I came over, there'd be more for the birds, and I told him that I wasn't because the 'no pegasus' sign kept me away from it.

And then I told him that I would make sure to fill it whenever I had a chance when he was away, because I didn't want the birds to forget it was here. So he said that there was some seed in the garage and he could get enough to last through the summer, but if he did, the mice or squirrels would find it and eat it all.

I told him that maybe if he put it in the truck he was leaving behind they wouldn't be able to get to it, 'cause it was like a big metal box and he laughed and said that even if there weren't rust holes big enough to throw a cat through, the mice would get in somehow.

He promised that we'd fill it up before I left, then he put on pants and we went downstairs and had breakfast in the kitchen. It was only oats—he still hadn't put more food in his icebox—but I was about to have a sunflower seed snack.

Aric went out to the backyard bare footed, and opened the garage door to get at the seeds. I hadn't ever seen the inside of it or any garage for that matter. It was dark and smelled like car. There was a dusty blue car that was all smashed in the front and I asked him why he had it, and he said that he needed the engine for his other truck. He said he'd gotten it at auction for a hundred dollars, and he was pretty sure that the engine worked, because how else would it have gotten damaged.

I said a truck might have hit it, and he said that wasn't possible; there wasn't any explosion damage. Then he grabbed the bag of seeds out and asked if I wanted to put the seeds in the feeder for practice.

Well, he could have easily—it was low enough that he could reach it with his hands—but said I would and I took the bag and flew up to it. He opened the top and I poured in the seeds, only spilling a little bit on the ground (and the squirrels would eat those, if birds didn't find them first), then instead of giving the bag back, I flew up to the garage roof and stuck my muzzle in the bag and ate a bunch of sunflower seeds before flying it back down and giving it to him.

He told me again that I could just buy them, but where was the fun in that?

We went back into the house and I told him that I would be going out in the afternoon to look at apartments with Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn. He said that if he'd known that I was going to be looking for a place, he could have sublet his room to me.

I would have liked that; it would have been nice to be in a familiar place, but at the same time the house wouldn't be the same without him in it. It would be like the palace without Princess Celestia.

Since I was thinking about the summer, I asked him if we could go on a road trip up north this summer, like he'd done with David and Angela, and he got all enthusiastic and said that we could—he had a week off before he had to start in Lafayette, and he'd had some plans about what he was going to do but he could cancel them.

I asked if he was sure, and he said that he was. It wasn't anything important that he was doing, and he'd rather spend the time with me.

So he got out a map and pointed to all the places where he'd gone, and he started pointing to things that he thought I'd like to see. There was a lot; Michigan is a very big state.

Since he had the map out, I wanted him to show me where Lafayette was. It wasn't on the same map; it was in Indiana, kind of towards the middle west of the state. I asked how far it was, and he said he didn't know but it was about a three-and-a-half hour drive, which meant it was about an hour further away than Chicago.

We decided that we'd leave right after graduation—which was the twelfth—and just take our time driving around and seeing whatever we wanted to. So that gave me something to look forward to right at the start of the summer.

I kissed him goodbye and took off to get my morning flight in. It was clear and cloud-free today, so there would be nothing to bring back to school, even if Sean had managed to find a rope.

I just did a bunch of exercises at low altitude: the grumpy man was directing airplanes today. But I got a good workout, 'cause instead of riding thermals, I did everything by wingwork and was pretty lathered up by the time I got back to my dorm.

After a quick shower, I went to lunch, and for once Leon and Cedric weren't bragging about themselves. Both of them were quieter than usual, and when I asked why Cedric admitted that he was a little worried about the exams coming up next week. He had one first thing Monday morning, which he said was the worst possible time, even though I thought that it would be better to get it over more quickly.

Leon said that I didn't understand college; it was a place where you could put stuff off until the very last minute and then cram like crazy.

Then Trevor said that real life was like that, too. And I kind of agreed. There were slow days, and there were days when everything seemed to rush at you, and the best you could do was deal with it as it came. And sometimes on really nice days we slacked off and went to the beach instead of patrolling like we were supposed to. The weather coordinator didn't mind, as long as we were all ready to work if we were needed.

Leon said he had this vision of a big cluster of colorful ponies standing in a cloud-office gossiping by the watercooler, and I said sometimes it was kind of like that, and I'd once overheard a couple of tourists who were in the tavern saying that the weather team just lazed around, but they hadn't been there when everypony was fighting off a gale for two days and we'd drop down to the tavern every now and then for long enough to melt the ice off our wings and drink a bowl of hot soup to warm up our insides and then we'd be back in the air again.

Cedric said that he'd played football in the snow before but he'd never considered what it would be like to fly in it.

Conrad had us meet outside again, and said that we were going to end the year by reading poems which he didn't think fit in any other lesson plan. The first one was from a man named Kit Smart (which everyone thought was a great name), and it was called For I Will Consider My Cat Jeoffry. Everyone had something to say about it, whether they liked cats or not, but we all agreed that the poem described them very well.

My favorite line was that cats are a mixture of gravity and waggery, because they are. And after I said that, Trevor leaned over and said that I was, too, and so I licked my pastern and rubbed it across my cheek and then looked at him innocently and said that I didn't know what he was talking about.

He had us read one next that was called When the Economy Was Booming by Mindy Nettifee, and that was a bit confusing for me because I didn't know what some of the things in it were, like Radiohead and Santa Anna dogs, but I think I still got the idea of the poem. And it made Melissa blush, probably 'cause some of it was about masturbating and a lot of people don't like talking about that at all.

Then he said that before he finished the class, we were all going to sit and write a poem for ourselves, and that it could be whatever we wanted, and we wouldn't have to turn it in or read it out loud or show it to anybody unless we wanted to. It would be ours for as long as we needed to keep it.

I have flown over the ocean
I have seen ships from distant lands

I have visited a world
not my own

I am a traveler, forever bound
to the sky, cursed
(some say)
to wander forever

Never putting down roots

I am one with the wind,
Drifting along like dandelion fluff

Here I am, belly on the grass
And the shadow of an elder tree on my back

Tomorrow I will carry my song
Elsewhere.

To distant shores
To distant ears

As people finished writing, they put their pencils and pens down and just sat quietly until finally Conrad said that some of us would be graduating soon, and all of us would be leaving for the summer, and he was sure that every one of us would make our mark on the world in our own way. Then he read a poem called The Man in the Glass.

I think that poem resonated with everyone in class, because when he finished nobody spoke. I think everyone was thinking about it and things that they had done that they wished they hadn't—I know I was. But I think that in the end a lot of those things had been because I didn't know any better, and there was a difference between doing something out of ignorance and doing it out of greed. And I think that if you don't love yourself, all the wealth in the world is nothing at all.

I blinked my eyes and noticed that Conrad was gone, but the class stayed there for a little while, talking about poems, and a couple of us shared what we'd written and then we kind of drifted apart—some people had to get to another class, and others wanted to go back to their rooms to study, and I had to go look at apartments.

I'd been a little worried that Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn would be mad that I was late, but they weren't. He said that if they were any old people, the landlords would probably leave us hanging like they had when he was in college, but his shiny government badge opened a lot of doors.

We spent the whole afternoon looking at different rooms. Some of them were pretty close to campus, and others were further away, and some of them were in houses and others were in special buildings called apartment houses that was a big house for apartments that were in turn houses for people.

The one I liked the most was a yellowish house on Grove Street, which was very near Aric's house. It was kind of old and the paint was peeling a little bit but I liked it because it had a balcony and the windows looked out at mature trees and it wasn't so big that I'd feel lost inside of it. Plus it had a bathtub which some of the apartments didn't, and it felt kind of cozy.

When I told them that that was my favorite, Miss Cherilyn frowned and said that I had a very different view than she did, and if it were up to her that would be the very last choice because it was old and not very nice. She asked if I'd noticed that one of the windowpanes was broken, and I said that I didn't mind; there was nothing wrong with having some fresh air.

We went to dinner together at Bilbo's Pizza, and we talked about it more but my heart was set on the apartment on Grove Street. Some of the others were nicer and newer and I guess there were things like laundry rooms and exercise rooms in the bigger apartment houses, but I didn't need either. And I liked being close to campus and to Aric's house (even if he wasn't going to be there), so she finally said that it was my choice, and Mister Salvatore took out his telephone and when he was done talking he said that the apartment was mine, and that next week they would come to help me move out of my dorm room and over there.

Then we talked about some of the big trips for the summer—like going to Stratford to see Gusty, and maybe visiting Cayenne some time, and I still wanted to go to see an airplane factory, and also visit Peggy over the summer. We didn't set dates for any of it yet, but I was happy that they were figuring it out.

We talked longer than I'd meant to, and I was surprised by how late it was when we finally got back to campus. They let me out in the parking lot, and reminded me to tell them what time I needed to move, then they waved goodbye and drove away.

I went right over to Meghan's room, and told her about my new apartment and how nice it was, and she was happy because it wasn't all that far from hers—she was living in the neighborhood by the cemetery—and she told me that I had to have a housewarming party because that was tradition.

She had to go into the bathroom to change into sleeping clothes, 'cause Amy was home, and when she was done we got in bed and snuggled up together.

Author's Note:

For I Will Consider My Cat Jeoffry

When the Economy was Booming

The Man in the Glass

For I Will Consider My Cat, Jeoffry was suggested by Cynewulf.

The Man in the Glass was also a suggestion, but I can't remember who made it.

PreviousChapters Next