• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,352 Views, 22,609 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,609
 14,352

PreviousChapters Next
March 24-25 [Kansas to Chicago]

March 24

It would have been nice if the train had windows that could be opened. I could have leaned out of a window and waved at Peggy for longer.

The train ran alongside a highway for a while, then the highway turned off and we went by a big lake and crossed over an arm of it on a causeway, and it looked really pretty in the last light of the day.

Mister Barrow said that we were almost out of Colorado, then we'd be in Kansas and that we'd go through Kansas at night, because nobody wanted to see it. He said that its only feature was wheat, and in the first part of spring there wasn't even that to enjoy. Miss Parker said that was unfair, that Kansas had a lot going for it, and he asked if she could name one thing. She said that they made airplanes in Kansas and Amelia Earhart had come from Kansas, and that was two things.

I didn't know who Amelia Earhart was. Miss Parker told me that she was the first woman ever to get a pilot's license, and that she was also the first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic Ocean, and she tried to fly all the way around the world but she disappeared and nobody knew where she went.

I thought that made Kansas pretty special, and I wanted to see an airplane being made.

Miss Parker said she thought that would be fun for me, and that over summer break, I could take the train to visit Peggy in Colorado and stop in Kansas and see the Cessna factory. She said that she'd tell Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn and that they could arrange it.

So I hugged her, and then we went down to our room.

It was going to be our last night on the train together, which was kind of sad. So Cayenne got another bottle out of her trunk and we just sat on our beds and talked about how much fun we'd had and talked about what we might do over summer break. Cayenne said that she was probably going to go out to a research lab somewhere and do physics work. She said that there was a lot of research into horn magic, and so far the humans hadn't made a lot of progress, because they'd had to spend all sorts of time just figuring out how to measure it and then design experiments from that.

I said that they were novices at stuff like that; there was a lot they knew about weather but a lot they didn't, too, because we'd been working with it for thousands of years and they had hardly scratched the surface there.

But we both agreed that they had a lot of better measuring tools than ponies did.

Aquamarine was going to stay at Michigan State. A couple of her professors had already set up experiments with her, and the only way to make sure that things worked right was to spend an entire growing season working with those plants.

Gusty was going to try and get a part in a movie. She said that she didn't care if it was a bad part in a bad movie, it would still be better than nothing. Her human helpers were already working on arrangements for her. She was also going to take some time and visit New York City, because that's where all the important theatre happened.

Well, that made me feel like maybe I wasn't taking things too seriously, because I didn't have any great plans like that. I didn't really have any plans.

Gusty said that was okay; everypony knew that pegasuses just flew around and didn't take stuff too seriously and it was just in our nature. I couldn't tell if that was supposed to be an insult or if she was really bad at cheering ponies up.

And it is kinda true, I guess.

Aquamarine flattened her ears and said that just because pegasus ponies didn't keep a lot of stuff and were always moving to where the weather was needed didn't mean that we didn't take things seriously. She reminded them that if all of us built houses and none of us were migratory, then there wouldn't be enough ponies to bring winter or wrap it up.

Cayenne reminded her that unicorns could do it just fine in Canterlot, and Aquamarine said that was just one city, and didn't really count. Nopony grew any food in Canterlot besides some public flower gardens and a few kailyards and that was it.

Gusty said she hadn't meant it like that. She got up and sat between me and Cayenne and nuzzled me on the cheek and that kinda broke the tension between all of us.

I asked Gusty where she'd gotten all her clothes, and she said that one of her friends in theatre had introduced her to a friend that was a seamstress and clothing designer for the theatre, and who made costumes for a bunch of the theatre groups in Madison, like the Madison Shakespeare Company and the Madison Theatre Guild.

She said that we ought to try some of them on; they were really quite comfortable when we got used to them, and her seamstress would love to make more clothes for ponies, because she enjoyed the challenge.

They weren't really cut right for a pegasus, but I tried them on anyway.

I didn't really like the underwear; it made me too hot and the little loop for my tail felt just a bit too tight. I didn't think it was; it wasn't chafing or anything, but just knowing it was there was uncomfortable.

And of course her tops didn't have wing slits, so that made it overly confining. At least it was loose on me; I was skinnier than Gusty.

Just the same, it was pretty nice. The material felt good and hung well on me, unlike my flight vest that wasn't cut for a pony at all. It was something that I could wear to a gala and feel alright in, although I'd go without the underwear.

I think that underwear was better suited to unicorns anyway. Their auras made getting dressed and undressed a lot easier for them, and I told Gusty that. I said that I wouldn't want to have to wear something all the time that I couldn't put on and take off by myself. It's okay for special occasions, but not for everyday.

Gusty said that I ought to try being undressed by a lover and see what I thought about it then. And Cayenne added that you could do a lot of fun stuff through clothes, which made Gusty's face get really red.

Aquamarine and I helped each other get undressed again and then Gusty folded up all her clothes and put them back in her bag. She gave each of us a telephone number for her friend, and said that if we wanted any clothes made than she was the perfect person for the job.

When we finally went to bed for the night, it took me a little while to fall asleep. I was still thinking about what they'd said about me not having any summer plans, and I thought maybe I was being a bad pony for not doing something scholarly over the summer. But there was so much to do, how could I just settle on doing one thing all summer long? I might not have had any for sure plans like going to California and being in a movie or doing botany experiments, but I was going to be doing stuff with my friends.

I snuggled up to Aquamarine—she was already asleep—and decided that Gusty was probably right; it wasn't in our nature. And I guess I couldn't help who I was.

March 25

We were still in Kansas when I woke up, but we didn't stay there for too long.

Aquamarine and I had just gotten out of the shower when the train slowed down for Kansas City, which isn't actually in Kansas. The train was going to be there for almost twenty minutes, which gave us plenty of time to walk the platform before breakfast.

Cayenne brushed her mane into shape real quick and Gusty didn't want to go at all because she was still in her nightclothes, but we insisted that she should, so she put on underwear and then got off the train with the rest of us, and I could tell that she was a little bit uncomfortable being out without proper clothes on, which made me a little bit sad.

But she loosened up after we'd been out there for a few minutes. A family that was on the platform saw us and their kids came running over to see us and they were really excited to find out that we were going to be on the same train together until Chicago.

The little girl thought that Gusty's gauzy shift was a princess robe, and that made Gusty blush. It was really cute.

We got back on the train and after the unicorns took a shower and Gusty got dressed, went to breakfast. The family we'd met wasn't eating in the dining car; I guess maybe they had gotten food before they got on the train.

I was feeling pretty spoiled with breakfasts—I'd had an omelet every day on the train, just because I could. But there weren't really a lot of other options.

The terrain was mostly the same as it had been in Kansas, but we were out of Missouri a lot quicker. Then we went to Iowa, but just for a little bit, and then we crossed the Mississippi River, which is the second-longest river in America. We'd crossed it in Minnesota before, but it wasn't as big there. Mister Barrow told us we'd also crossed the Missouri River, which was the longest river. It ran through Kansas City, and it wasn't as wide as the Mississippi.

After we'd eaten lunch, instead of sitting in the lounge car we decided to walk up and down the train together. We found the family we'd met on the platform in one of the coach cars—those were the train cars that didn't have beds for people—and they were really happy to see us again.

The little girl that thought Gusty was a princess hugged her, and Gusty got kinda embarrassed again.

We talked for a little while; they were from Blue Island which was a town that was just south of Chicago. Cayenne said that it was part of the Chicago metropolitan area, and then explained that some big cities kept going into other cities, and they kind of counted as the same place for people who didn't actually live there. She said that Northwestern University wasn't in Chicago; it was in Evanston, although there was a branch of it that was actually in Chicago, but that wasn't where she attended class.

That was kind of confusing to me, but I guess that sometimes as cities grew they wound up running into other smaller towns that were close. Manehattan probably would if it kept getting bigger, and I suppose they'd keep calling it Manehattan.

We passed through a little town called Sandwich, and then we got to Aurora, and from that point on it became more and more city, until it was all city for the last part of our trip. We went past street after street of houses and buildings and it was just kind of overwhelming.

We excused ourselves when the train left Naperville, because we had to pack up our things. Well, I didn't really, but it wouldn't be nice to leave everypony else to do it while I stayed upstairs.

It was kind of a relief and kind of a disappointment to finally get off the train in Chicago.

We had a whole day to go sightseeing: Gusty's train would leave at two pm tomorrow, and Aquamarine and I were on a train that left at four. Gusty was kind of mad that we hadn't spent another day in California, but Mister Barrow told her that was because we couldn't rely on Amtrak to get us where we were supposed to be without any delays.

Since it was a nice day out, Cayenne said that our first stop ought to be the Willis Tower, which everyone called the Sears Tower. Gusty wanted to know if it was like the Space Needle, and Cayenne assured her that it was a nice big solid building.

When we got there, there was a really long line waiting to get to the skydeck, but Mister Barrow showed his wallet to a man who was keeping things orderly and pretty soon a blonde woman in a nice suit came down and shook his hand and leaned over and shook our hooves and then we got to go in front of the whole line and up into the tower.

On three sides, the city stretched out as far as the eye could see, and on the other side was the big blue expanse of Lake Michigan. I could faintly see the shore on the other side, which was Michigan. Chicago was a lot bigger than Seattle had been; it was amazing to think how many humans it must have taken to build it all, and how long they must have worked.

They had little glass boxes that hung off the side of the building; Gusty wouldn't even entertain the idea of going in them. She also didn't like getting too close to the windows, either, so she missed out on some of the view.

Cayenne sat down in the box and said that she hoped that there were people on the ground looking up at her. I stepped into the box next to her and told her that it was hard to tell because they were so far down, but there were probably some of them who were looking up through the glass floor.

When we'd had our fill of the view we went back down to the ground, and walked to Navy Pier. I saw that they had a sailing ship that you could ride on and begged and pleaded for a chance to sail on it, so we got tickets for that and while we waited for the sailing time had dinner and looked at some of the stained glass they had on display there. I thought the museum in Seattle had better pieces, but this was really pretty as well.

When it was time, we got on the sailing ship and headed out into the harbor. That was a lot of fun, although they weren't really using the sails properly. There wasn't enough wind for them, so they used a motor to propel the boat instead.

I flew up into the rigging and watched from the crow's nest, which was a great view but against the rules as I found out when I landed again. They made me promise not to fly up there a second time, and I said that I wouldn't.

Mister Barrow and Miss Parker called a taxi-van, which looked a lot like the van I'd ridden in in East Lansing, except that it was yellow. That took us to our hotel, where our luggage was already waiting for us in our room. I wasn't sure how they'd arranged that; they'd been with us all along.

Cayenne wanted to go out to a nightclub again, but we were all tired from the long train trip and there was a hot tub in our hotel room, so she ordered a couple of bottles of wine from the room service and we soaked in the tub and drank wine. It was the first time I'd seen Gusty without clothes—I was expecting her to have some sort of swimming clothes like all the people did.

When we were finally done, we had to telephone room service and get more towels, too. Even though humans are bigger than ponies, they don't need as many towels to dry off, I guess.

PreviousChapters Next