• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,366 Views, 22,611 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,611
 14,366

PreviousChapters Next
January 29 [The Cloud]

January 29

As soon as I got up, I looked out the window, and I could see small puffy white clouds through the branches of the trees, just like I thought I would.

I got dressed in my flight outfit really quick, and asked for permission to go flying. The person on the radio this morning was more chipper than the one I'd talked to before, and asked me if I was going up for dawn patrol, which is what they call an early-morning flight. I said I was, and she told me to be careful.

I zipped up to altitude, climbing in a nice diagonal path which put me right at the cloud I wanted. It was a smallish cumulus cloud, which meant I could easily fly around it and contain it. The winds at altitude were nearly nonexistent; that also made it easier. It’s hard to wrangle a cloud when it’s whisking across the sky, and then when you do get it it acts like a sail and you have to fight against the wind to get it back where you want.

I started by touching its edge. When you're up-close to a feral cloud, it's really hard to tell where the clear sky ends and the cloud begins; what looks like a sharp boundary from the ground really isn't.

That gave me a good feel for it. I got an idea of how much moisture was in it, and how it was going to react to me.

I circled around the whole thing, then started to push my way in. As it was, the cloud was too big and too unwieldy to pull down to ground. I needed to condense it, but I needed to do it carefully; if I pushed in too quick, I'd just cause all the moisture to fall out of the sky, and I'd be left with nothing.

It was a delicate operation, and I worked slowly and cautiously, squeezing and holding until I'd finally pushed it down to a manageable size. Basically, I was doing the reverse of what a weatherpony does—and this is why we usually just break up feral clouds. It's a lot of effort to corral them!

To check and make sure it was going to hold together, I flew to its top and very gingerly set myself down on it. Too much, and I'd upset the balance and make it drop all its moisture.

It held me just fine, so I lifted off and found a flat spot on its tail and began pushing.

The cloud really didn't want to cooperate, and it was quite a struggle to get it all the way to the ground. By the time I'd finally managed, there were a bunch of students standing on the quad and looking up at me and my cloud. I thought some of them were going to laugh as I struggled to get it around tree branches (any weatherpony who had that much trouble with a factory cloud would be the laughingstock of her team), but they didn't.

When I got my hooves back on the ground and turned off my blinking light, a bunch of them came up to me and asked what I was going to do with the cloud. I told them I’d brought it for class. Then they wanted to know if they could touch it, and I said that they could; that was the whole point of bringing it down in the first place. You had to be careful with clouds, though, 'cause a lot of times they had a charge from the atmosphere and they'd zap you, but this one was safe. I hadn't felt any sparks off my hooves when I'd landed.

So everybody did, and a bunch of them took pictures with their telephones, and I would have been late to class except that I heard the campus clock chiming.

Of course, there was no way that the cloud was going to fit into the classroom. I should have thought of that before I caught it. Luckily, Crystal Dawn was among the students who were playing with the cloud, and she said that she would go get the professor and make him come out here. I didn't want to interrupt the lesson, but I was sure he wouldn't mind delaying it a little bit so that he could see the cloud.

I stayed by the cloud—it was taking a lot of effort to keep it from falling apart in front of me, especially with all the students touching it—and kept an eye on the door.

When he came out, the look of shock on his face was unbelievable. He just stopped right there in the doorway and then he dropped the notebook he was holding. His face went really pale, and then he locked his eyes on me (I was still wearing my flight vest, so I wasn't very hard to see). For a second, I thought he was going to faint.

Luckily, he didn’t. Instead, he scrambled over to the cloud and reached out his hand and touched it.

Once he was done fondling the cloud, he turned to me and started asking me all sorts of questions, mostly about how I did it, and so I started explaining to him about how our inherent magic works, When I’d gotten done explaining that, he started asking some really specific questions.

So I told him how I could work around the fact that the cloud was now supersaturated, and of course much heavier than air, and I explained how it was a lot more difficult here on Earth because there wasn't any rising magical potential from grounded ponies, so I was actually putting a whole lot of effort into the cloud, more than I ever would have back in Equestria.

Then he had Crystal Dawn bring down the rest of the class (which wasn't many; most of them were already outside looking at the cloud) and he had me repeat what I'd said to the class before. Since there were so many of them, I flew up to the top of the cloud and sat there—it wasn't all that good a perch, since I was using a lot of energy to keep the cloud aloft, but at the same time it was a little easier to feel what the cloud was trying to do when I had my hooves on it, and I could keep it under control with just a little effort, rather than waiting until it started changing on me and using a lot of magic to push it back.

I was getting really tired, and so after I'd gotten done talking, I told him that I needed to get the cloud back up into the air so I could dissipate it. He wanted to know what would happen if I just let it go on the ground, and I told him that I was worried about the amount of water it would drop as it broke up.

He said to do it anyway, so I told everybody who didn't want to get wet to move back, and that I was going to very slowly let it free. And I warned everybody to not touch the cloud, because if they did, their hand would get covered in ice almost instantly.

Just as I'd expected, as soon as I started to let it free, the overabundance of water in the cloud started leaking out, quickly forming an icy spot on the snow.

Everybody watched the cloud dissipate in front of their eyes as the water fell out of it. Pretty soon there was nothing more than a cloud of vapor like an exhale on a cold day, and then that was gone too.

The whole project wound up taking up most of the class period, and I hadn't really meant it to. I probably should have tried with a smaller cloud, or maybe waited for some fog (I could have manipulated fog right on the ground where the other students could see what I was doing). The professor didn't seem upset by that, though; he really had a look of wonderment the whole time.

We all went up to class afterwards, and he said that there wasn't any point in rushing through the lecture he'd prepared, but instead that if I was willing, I could answer some more questions.

Well of course I was willing, so I sat in my spot between Crystal Dawn and Luke and told them about how our weather patrol teams worked until the very end of class, and I also told them why the things the professor was teaching were important, because if we didn't work with nature, we'd have to put a lot more effort into the weather because the whole system is so big and we're just a little part of it.

I was completely exhausted by the end of class, and my voice was a little hoarse from talking so much, especially right after all that exercise up in the sky and then not having breakfast at all. The rest of the day pretty much went by in a daze. But I managed to stay awake through all my classes, and I got to talk to Meghan and Lisa and Becky some more in Equestrian class.

I also took the time—even though I was pretty tired—to go over to Stetson Chapel and talk to a woman who knew about God. Her name is Liz, and she's very nice. She said that what I was asking would take a really long time to explain, unless I wanted the most simple version.

The simple version was appealing, but if they built a whole building just for God, He's probably really important. I thought about how my climate science professor hadn't really understood about how we managed the weather until he'd had time to talk with me about it for a while, and thought that it would be best if I got the full version.

So she said that she would love to take me out to lunch tomorrow and we could talk about it then, and she would even give me a Bible as well, which is God's biography.

PreviousChapters Next