• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,357 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,357

PreviousChapters Next
March 23-24 [Southwest Chief]

March 23-24

Miss Parker stopped at a little stand at the front part of the train station because she said that she wanted to get some aspirin. She said that being out in the sun all day sometimes gave her headaches, and she didn't think that there was any in her bag and she didn't know if she could buy it on the train.

I guarded our luggage, what little there was. She had her duffel bag and that was all, and I had my saddlebags. I knew that she had more luggage than that, because she'd had her own bag yesterday when we went to the van. I suppose Mister Barrow was going to bring it for her.

There were all sorts of candies and magazines and newspapers arranged around the stand, I suppose to interest me in buying something I might not have thought of otherwise. I saw that they had USA Today which is the same newspaper that they have in the Kalamazoo College dining hall, and I thought that was pretty amazing.

It had a big headline that said 'Terrorist Attacks in Brussels Send Shock Waves Around World.' I didn't really know what to think about that, so when Miss Parker was done buying her aspirin I asked her what it meant.

She tensed up and picked up her duffel bag and my saddlebags and said that we couldn't dally because we might miss the train, and I was pretty sure that she was just going to pretend I didn't ask the question.

I thought about how Peggy had reacted to the man in Kalamazoo who was shooting strangers, and I was afraid that I'd said something I should have kept to myself.

Miss Parker asked me what I knew about religion, and I admitted that it wasn't much. I knew that the Bible said that God had created everything, and then He'd made humans in His own image and given them some rules to follow, and that they weren't very good at following His rules, but I hadn't gotten much farther in the Bible than that. I knew from what Liz had told me that those people were Jewish, and later on God had sent Jesus to make a new covenant and those people were called Christians, but I didn't know much more than that because I hadn't read all that far in the Bible yet.

She said that there were other religions as well, and sometimes people did terrible things because they thought that their religion was right and the others were wrong. She told me that a terrorist group called ISIL had done it.

I wanted to know why, and she said that I wasn't the only one who wanted to know. She said that the simple version was that they believed anybody who didn't think like them—which she said was basically anybody who wasn't a member of their group—was an infidel, or an unclean person and that in their eyes that justified anything that they did.

That really didn't seem like much of an answer to me, and Miss Parker said that it wasn't much of an answer and if I wanted to, I could talk with her and Mister Barrow more about it on the train, or with Mister Salvatore and Miss Cherilyn in Kalamazoo.

When we got into the lobby, everybody else was there: Aquamarine and Cayenne and Gusty, and Mister Barrow and Peter and Maggie.

Gusty opened up her saddlebags and proudly floated out a picture of a dark-haired man posing with her who she said was Tim Stern, a well-known actor who had been in a whole lot of movies. So I smiled and said how wonderful that was, and she asked if I'd had a fun day as well, and I told her that I'd gone to the beach and gone surfing.

Then it was time to get on our train, and we all hugged Peter and Maggie and then went to the platform and got aboard the train.

Our room was familiar; the names of the trains might all be different but the cars were all the same inside.

As soon as we were settled, Gusty wanted to go to the Viewliner car so that she wouldn't miss a bit of California, but I could tell that she also wanted to tell everypony about her day in Hollywood.

I didn't want to let her down, so we all went to the Viewliner together, and she'd just started telling us about her day when the train pulled out of the station and she immediately got distracted by all the buildings.

I think that Los Angeles is bigger than Chicago was. We spent the first hour on the train still in it, and even after the sun went down there was plenty to see with all the lights. But after San Bernardino, we suddenly went up into mountainous terrain, and then there weren't as many lights.

We stayed up in the Viewliner until the train left Barstow, and then Cayenne finally managed to convince her that she wouldn't see any more from there than she would in our room, and she reluctantly agreed.

Gusty stretched out on the bed where she could see out the window, and the three of us talked about our days, getting interrupted every now and then when Gusty saw something interesting.

I told them about my day at the beach, and Aquamarine said that she'd gone to the Los Angeles Botanic Gardens. Cayenne had spent the day at UCLA, visiting their physics lab. That didn't sound all that exciting to me; I'd thought that part of the point of being on vacation was doing things that were fun and not schoolwork. And of course Gusty had gone to Hollywood.

Even after we got in bed, we kept talking for a little bit until the motion of the train put us to sleep.


March 24

Waking up was weird—since we were going east now, the sunrise was earlier. It was already a little bit light when I woke up. Gusty was asleep on top of the covers, still in the clothes she'd worn the night before.

By the time we got out of the shower were were nearly to New Mexico. We gave Cayenne our blankets so that she could cover up Gusty, and then waited around in our room until Cayenne was done with her shower before going upstairs for breakfast. It was a little bit later start to the day than I'd have preferred, but it was good enough.

Outside, the land was pretty dry, and there were rocky flat-topped hills that are called mesas. There weren't a lot of houses or people out there.

We were following along with a highway, and sometimes we'd be close to it and other times farther away. A lot of times when we got close it meant a small town was nearby.

We'd just finished breakfast when the conductor announced that we were about to stop in a town called Gallup.

Cayenne got it in her head that it would be really funny to gallop in Gallup, so we went down to the lower level and asked the conductor how long the train would be stopping.

He said it was a short stop, and that we had to stay on the train. Then Cayenne just looked up at him and asked if he could keep the train there for a couple of minutes so that we could gallop and he chewed on his lower lip for a minute and then nodded. He crouched down and told us that we could go all the way up to the locomotive and then back to this car, and that was it, and we had to be quick about it.

We promised that we would, so when the train stopped he set out his stepstool and first Cayenne got out and Aquamarine followed her; I flew over the two of them and then we galloped down the platform all the way to the locomotive and turned around and galloped back and jumped up into the train and fell on the floor in a fit of laughter.

The conductor thought it was funny, too. He said that since the train was probably going to be late, it might as well be for a good reason.

I felt really bad that we might have made the train late, and Cayenne did too because she apologized to him, and he said that it was okay; we had a good engineer and we had over three hours to make up those few minutes, and he was sure that the engineer would.

He kept his word; we got into Albuquerque on time. It was the biggest city we'd seen all day, and we had a chance to stretch our legs again, because this time the train was supposed to stop for a while.

Right after we left, the train started going more northward, and I looked at the timetable to see where we were going next and realized that we were going to go to Colorado, which is where Peggy lives. So I asked Cayenne if she could see on her map if we were going to be close to Colorado Springs, because Peggy lived there.

It took her a few minutes to check her map: it was really tiny so that it would fit in her telephone, and she had to make it bigger but then she couldn't see much, so she had to make it smaller and move it and try again.

She finally figured out where Colorado Springs was and where the train was going and they weren't very close at all, which was a disappointment.

We met Mister Barrow and Miss Parker for lunch. Gusty was still sound asleep in the room, and we'd debated on whether or not to wake her up, but decided that it would be rude. Cayenne said that she didn't think Gusty had gotten much sleep in the last couple of days.

After the train left Lamy the next stop was Las Vegas, and Cayenne got really excited until Miss Parker said that it wasn't the Las Vegas she was thinking of.

We spent most of the day skirting around the tops of mountains. Gusty joined us just before we got to Las Vegas; she looked a bit tired still but a lot better than she had looked in a while. Mister Barrow told us that we were coming up on Raton Pass, and told us a bit of the history of it and my ears fell when he said there was a tunnel.

And just then we went into it, but it wasn't all that long. I still didn't like it at all. Being in the Viewliner was even worse, because I could see flashes of light off the walls all around us and I just closed my eyes and leaned my head against Aquamarine's neck and didn't open them again until we were out of it.

Mister Barrow thought that was funny, and then he told me that when I'd closed my eyes I'd been in New Mexico, and now I was in Colorado.

PreviousChapters Next