• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 14,357 Views, 22,610 Comments

Silver Glow's Journal - Admiral Biscuit



Silver Glow takes an opportunity to spend a year at an Earth college, where she'll learn about Earth culture and make new friends.

  • ...
100
 22,610
 14,357

PreviousChapters Next
May 24 [Ezra Pound]

May 24

I really liked Aric's new birdfeeder—it was always nice to look at the birds in the morning, and Aric didn't mind having my butt in his face. I tickled him with my tail just to make sure he got the message, and pretty soon I felt his fingers on my rump.

He got up and watched the birds with me for a little bit before we got back into bed, and he let me push him down and be on top.

We could have gone to breakfast at Nina's again, but he still had some rolled oats left and that's a good enough breakfast for me. People like to make them mushy by putting them in hot water, but I think that they're fine raw.

When I was ready to fly, he stuck a bag of sunflower seeds in my flight vest pocket. He said it was so I wouldn't have to raid the birdfeeder anymore.

I told him that he couldn't bribe me to stay away from it, and went out the side door and into the yard with him chasing after me. Every time he'd try and grab me, I'd just fly high enough that he couldn't quite reach, and he finally gave up and shook out a bunch of seeds and offered them to me. So of course I had to fly down to try and take them, and then he grabbed my hoof and 'caught' me, and we tussled on the grass a little bit before I pinned him down and sat on his chest, then I ate them out of his hand and kissed him before taking off.

I decided to change around my morning routine a little bit, and followed the Kalamazoo River north and west for a little bit, a few roads past the nature center. I could see a town off in the distance, but I didn't think I'd have enough time to fly there and back again, so I turned around and headed back to campus.

I was getting low on shampoo again, so I hoped that Peggy would be up for a shopping trip to Meijer soon. I probably could go by myself, but they were really big and there were a whole lot of people I didn't know in them.

I wish the college store had Mane and Tail shampoo. That would have been really convenient.

I worked on my essay a little bit, then went to lunch early. I'd gotten to a good point to stop, and didn't think that I'd have enough time to get through the next section before lunch. So I went to stop at the mail hut, and then I remembered that I hadn't asked Aric for the pictures on his telephone.

There wasn't much point in turning back to send him a computer letter now, but I reminded myself to do it right after poetry class.

When I checked my mailbox, I saw that I had gotten another letter from Aquamarine, so I sat down in the lounge and read it.

She said that she could come visit this weekend. It was a holiday, and her botany professor had said that it wouldn't hurt the experiment if she took a few days off.

I took a page out of my notebook and wrote her a quick letter back saying that she was welcome to come, and she could share my room. I didn't think Peggy would mind, and I guess if she didn't want two ponies in the room I could sleep with Aric or Meghan. Then I had to beg the girl at the counter for a stamp and an envelope, because I didn't have any with me.

She took my student badge and wrote down my number which I thought was kind of silly. I'm not sure why people can't remember me without my little card.

But the letter got mailed, and that was what was important.

I was really excited that she was coming, and the first people I saw to tell were Cedric and Leon and Trevor.

Cedric asked if she was as chill as me, and I said I thought so. And Leon wanted to know what she looked like, so I described her for him and he said she sounded like a real girly pony. I wasn't sure what he meant by that—she was a mare—but sometimes humans seem to have trouble with that.

I said that he'd probably like her, and I bet that she could beat him in hoof-wrestling, 'cause she's an earth pony so she's pretty strong.

Leon said that he wouldn't challenge a girl to a test of strength, and Cedric said that was because he was afraid that he would lose. So then Leon spent the rest of lunch pretending that everything was too heavy for him to lift.

I think they'd like her, but I'm not sure she'd like them. They are kind of weird. But I promised we'd have lunch together anyway.

Conrad had rearranged our desks into two circles and put his desk in the middle and it was very confusing. I didn't know where I was supposed to sit, so I finally wound up picking the seat that was nearest to where I'd sat before.

The desk wasn't the same, though. There had been a little carving in mine: it had said morior invictus. This one didn't say anything on it.

Once we'd all found a seat, Conrad said that he'd gotten bored with the old arrangement, and that this new one was much better. And then he said that before anyone in the back got the idea that they were out of his sight, his chair had a swivel, and he demonstrated by backing it away from his desk and spinning around in it.

He told us that we were going to read some of Ezra Pound's poetry this week, because you couldn't talk about Eliot without Pound. Then he started out by having Melissa read Shop Girl, and then he followed right after that with The Spring.

It was kind of late in the year to be talking about the spring.

I'd never really thought about it, but it was kind of strange to organize the poems by poet, rather than to organize them by what they're about. We could have read a bunch of spring poems right at the beginning of spring, and read rainy-day poems when it was raining, and so on. I think if I were teaching the class that's how I'd do it.

But maybe that would be confusing for people, because we'd be going from one poet to the next all the time. I think it would make more sense, though.

He had me read a really short poem called The New Cake of Soap. I didn't know what a Chesterton was, but I thought it was really funny to write a poem about soap. Soap is something that you don't really think about, and how clever Mister Pound was to see it and write a poem about it.

What kind of poem would I write about my shampoo?

Or what other things might I write about?

We read two more poems before the end of class: Simulacra and The Tea Shop. The last one was about a woman who had been beautiful but had grown old, and it was kind of sad. It would have been a good fall poem. I guess it was a reminder that our class was almost over—the year was almost over. And that meant that some of the people in the class would graduate and I'd never see them again.

After class, it was still nagging at my mind that he was sorting the poems by their author, so I asked him about it after class, and he got a little smile on his face and said that I was a believer in 'it is the tale, not he who tells it.'

I said that I thought that was a good way of putting it.

He said that I was wise beyond my years, then he told me that the old model was to sort poems by their author but that maybe the internet would change that, and that he would not object to poetry books being sorted by poems about the rain or poems about the sea or poems about the spring or any other classification and he said that if we ponies arranged our poems that way than we were smarter than humans.

I told him that humans were plenty smart, too, because I didn't think that anypony had ever written a poem about a cake of soap, and he said that I ought to be the first.

I was really flattered that he thought that much of me, so I hugged him and then left before he could embarrass me any more.

While I was working on my essay, though, I was also thinking about what he said, and at the same time I was clicking on my pen because I was trying to think of what to say next and then I thought maybe I could write a poem about my pen.

When I got back to our room, I asked Peggy if she would mind if Aquamarine stayed over, and she said that she didn't mind at all, which was a relief. And then I said that she was coming this weekend. Peggy wanted to know if either of the unicorns was coming, and I said that they weren't as far as I knew. Hopefully we'd be getting together in Chicago soon . . . but if school was over for Aquamarine, maybe it was over for Gusty, too, and she was in California now.

I should probably check my Facebook more often. I felt bad that I didn't know.

I went over to Meghan's right after I'd worked on another section of my essay, 'cause I was eager to tell her, too. I was sure she'd be happy to meet Aquamarine, too, and so I ought to tell her before she made plans for the weekend. I thought maybe if I was lucky, she'd be willing to take both of us to her uncle and aunt's hot tub.

She wasn't in her room, though. Amy thought that maybe she was at the library, and said that I could check there or call her, but I didn't want to do that. If she was busy, it would be rude to interrupt her.

So I sat in the lounge instead and read through the rest of 2 Kings and started on 1 Chronicles before Meghan came back. She was sort of trudging when she came into the dorm, but she brightened right up when she saw me.

We went up to her room together and I told her about how Aquamarine was coming and asked her if we could maybe go to the hot tub. She said that she'd have to find out but she was pretty sure that it would be okay.

She said that she had some more homework, and I told her I didn't mind waiting while she finished it. I wasn't going to finish the Bible anytime soon. So she kind of thought about that, and finally got up in bed with me and stretched out and she read her book and I read more of 1 Chronicles, until she'd finished her homework.

Meghan went into the bathroom and got ready for bed while I was finishing up the chapter I was on, and by the time she was done, so was I, so we snuggled together under the covers.

PreviousChapters Next