• Published 4th Mar 2016
  • 6,791 Views, 99 Comments

Diyoo Wan' Thum? - TheNewYorkBrony



Spike has a talk with Cadence about the things changing in his life.

  • ...
24
 99
 6,791

Baby Blues

A recent trip to the Crystal Empire had left Spike and the girls thoroughly exhausted. The ride over from Ponyville was filled with pleasant conversation and laughter, but once they'd stepped off the train, they were whirlwinded into a chaotic afternoon full of catching up and making new memories.

After a fulfilling dinner everyone retired to bed for the night.

Spike, however, couldn't bring himself to let his mind drift into Luna's dream realm. Something was bothering him. And when something was bothering him, he couldn't sleep. He looked over to Twilight, who was soundly sleeping with her back turned to him, her slow, steady breathing making her chest rise and fall.

He was truly jealous of her. Even with all the princess duties she had aquired, she was still able to get a good nights sleep.

Well, most of the time. Twilight by nature was a worry wort, and if one single thing wasn't correct, or in place, she'd fret over it for days on end. Which of course affected her sleep and her performance during the day.

He'll never forget the "Just put the hay in the apple and eat the candle" comment she made a few months ago.

But Spike wasn't like Twilight. He could sleep soundly even when something was worrying him. But there was a difference between something worrying him, and something bothering him. What was nagging at him was something he had never felt before.

Dread.

But what exactly was he dreading? What did he have to dread? He had a good life. The pony who hatched him loved him so, he had friends of all shapes and sizes, and all the gems he could eat if he really wanted to.

So what was the deal?

What was making him so nervous?

At that moment his stomach grumbled, and he decided with a sigh that he might as well sedate his hunger while he was up. Quietly walking over to the door, he opended it and made his way out into the hallway.

He nodded in greeting to the guard stationed beside it, and began his trek down to the kitchen.

There wasn't a sound except for the occasional outburst of snoring from one of the many sleeping chambers that were on either side of the long crystal hallway.

Spike had been here many times of course, but never had he really taken the time to explore the palace on his own. It reminded him very much of the castle he and Twilight resided in now back home, and the high arching crystal walls gave him a small sense of familiar comfort.

By the time he had reached the hallway containing the kitchen, he noticed it was incredibly darker down where he was than where he came from. Probably because no one really used the kitchen during these hours, and if Twilight and her friends probably needed something, the guard stationed outside of their door would most likely get it for them.

Although, the slight clinking sound of bottles and soft munching let him know that he wasn't the only one up with the idea of a late night snack.

He assumed it was Pinkie Pie, who could never really seem to stop eating. She always had some kind of edible confection with her no matter what the situation, and he knew if she was in a place where food was plentiful, she wouldn't hesitate to help herself.

But when he had finally made his way to the fridge, he was shocked to find not the pink haired baker, but his sister in law, Cadence, lying on her back helping herself to...well, everything.

He stood there for a good moment, watching the mare. He wondered if he stood there long enough, that she would realize she wasn't alone.

Apparently she did, because she looked up at him with a goofy grin. "Diyoo wan' thum?" The princess asked, a silver spoon in her mouth. (There was a joke in there somewhere, but Spike was more concerned with the concoction incased in the alicorns magic.) A can of whipped cream, along with a jar of peanut butter with a pickle dipped inside. The pickle had whipped cream on top of it, and a chip from the bag on the floor beside her.

"I'm...good." He responded politely in awe. Now, he had seen the princesses act not so regal from time to time, from Celestia losing control because of cake, Twilight having a meltdown, or Luna being frustrated with something.

But he had never seen Cadence outside of being a perfect princess. And now that he has, well, he wasn't really sure what to think.

Suddenly his gems in the fridge seemed like the least of his problems.

The alicorn rolled over to face him. Her magic plucked the pickle from the jar of peanut butter and she bit into it. "Something the matter, Spike?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Not really."

Cadence rolled her eyes. "Oh come on, I can see it on your face. Something is bugging you. Spill it."

He sighed and sat down in front of her. "Have you ever felt like...like you were suddenly replaceable?"

Cadence's eyebrows knitted. "Can't say I have, but go on."

"It's just...I'm scared. I feel like once this baby you and Shining Armour are gonna have comes around Twilight won't pay attention to me. Is that...is that selfish?"

Cadence tapped her chin with her hoof. "No, not necessarily. Although jealousy can be a harmful thing, I can see where you're coming from. Is that all you're fearing?"

"No," He admitted, sighing again. "All day I've been getting this feeling of dread. That once this baby is here everyone will forget about me. More than they already have."

"Who has forgotten about you, Spike?" Cadence asked tenderly, lovingly. Motherly.

The tone in her voice made Spike look up and he could see in her lilac eyes that she was listening to him. She truly wanted to know what was wrong.

"Well, as of late I've felt like second rate compared to everyone else. I mean, sure everyone tells me I'm just as important as they are, but sometimes I just dont feel like it. I feel like...once you have the baby, I'll be old news."

Cadence chuckled, making Spike look up. "Spike, you're not selfish for having insecurities." She patted his head. "No one is. It's totally normal."

"It is?" He asked.

The alicorn nodded. "Of course it is. How do you think Shining felt when Twilight was born? I'm sure he was worried about not having any attention on him as much as you. But as soon as Twilight was born, he knew he had to be the best big brother in the world to help her and guide her, no matter how jealous he felt." She smiled warmly at him.

"Sure its gonna get a little, er, a lot louder in here, and sometimes you will feel ignored by Twilight or me, or Shining, or the other girls, but know that everyone loves you just as much as you love them. No matter what."

"No matter what?" Spike asked.

"No matter what," Cadence repeated, kissing the young dragon on the forehead. She levitated a bowl piled high with gems and rubies down to him from the top shelf of the fridge, grinning as his eyes lit up. "Care for a gem?" She asked.

He excitedly grabbed a hand from the bowl. "You know I do!"

Comments ( 94 )
Hillbe #1 · Mar 4th, 2016 · · 45 ·

:twilightblush: You know It's not only Candance But Rarity's eating more too.......
:moustache: Naaaaa
:twilightoops::raritystarry: Opps!
:moustache: wow.........

pre05.deviantart.net/956a/th/pre/f/2015/245/2/6/first_born_by_hillbe-d986vyb.jpg

Short (to the point of being pat at the end) but sweet. Have a like.

Short, fluffy, sweet. Love it!:pinkiehappy:

And who knows the little one might have a sibling bond with Spike.

But when he had finally made his wayto the fridge

The pickle had whipped cream on top of it, and a chip from the bag on the floor beside hwr.

What a sweet fic, you just earned my like

6999166
Sick and tired of seeing your agenda everywhere. Give it a rest, christ.

Fuck you *likes and favorites*

I like this, it seems like something Spike would actually feel. Or a conversation that'd actually occur in the show. I enjoyed reading this a lot.:twilightsmile:

Comment posted by Nightmare Loopy deleted Mar 5th, 2016

6999166
*Bursts out laughing....*
Whaaaat?? :rainbowlaugh:

7000220

Beyond the fact that you already said you weren't involved, I'm going to make a statement.

-I have no problem with people who have ships.
-I have no problem with people who will occasionally ask the author whether their ship is in the story or not. Heck they can try to convince him, that's fine.
-What I will not condone is someone whose literal first comment to any story he choses to comment on just be some push of his ship. Especially if it holds no bearing to the fic in question.

If all you're gonna do is post weird cringey, pairing side talk that is completely irrelevant to the source material at hand, and do it constantly, I will NOT apologize. You have your rules of confrontation and I have mine. We. Are. Separate.

Might want to note that the artwork is by NCMares, who is also a writer there.

7000261 :twilightoops: they ate all the good humor ice cream :pinkiehappy:
and vanilla oat swirl too:raritystarry::moustache::facehoof:

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

everypony loves raiding the fridge at o'dark thirty:trollestia: cake?

7000283 didn't know they were also a writer but the source is in the pic

7000314 Oh, I didn't know they started linking the images like that. Nevermind then :twilightsheepish::facehoof:

Is there some news I'm missing? I've seen multiple fics involving some (potential) child of SA and Cadence recently.

7000529
It was confirmed due to some released sneak peaks a month or so back... check EQD for the articles. The baby they announced during last season will be revealed in the next season opener. She is a girl, an alicorn and named Flurry Heart... she also has several memes around her now based on the fact it looks like she has fully developed wings instead of baby sized ones.

Aw, this was cute! :rainbowkiss:

7000220

Look kid. You don't get to make threats like that. That's my job. And that guy's right. Hilbe is fucking everywhere, and it got annoying after the SECOND time. So the hundredth I saw it was probably about where even I snapped. That was months ago. He's still going. If Hilbe can't be held accountable for annoying others, then the people who are annoyed by him cannot be held accountable for their own words. It's both or none. Either anyone who's tired of him can say so and he can choose to keep going like nothing happened, or it's bullshit if he can keep going and no one can say anything about it. No one said anything overtly damaging, no one jumped down his throat and shat all over the place like some skeevy bathroom stall.

You really need to weigh when to try and pull out the "Don't make me get involved" threat. You are not nearly threatening enough, and you jumped in against someone who wasn't being a dick or a troll. But don't tell people they can't at least be irritated by someone who constantly spams entirely unrelated self-roleplaying all over the goddamn site. It's a perfectly acceptable natural reaction. If Hilbe was not prepared to handle the amount of hostility he creates by doing all this unnecessary crap, Hilbe would have stopped many months ago. Ergo he is not a victim and he knows what he's doing and still wants to continue, and it will not hurt him. If it did cause him issue, he would stop. Since he's not stopped, it's not an issue and he's a big enough boy that it does not bother him - he can handle himself. Leave it the frick alone. Now enjoy the story, like and favorite. Or don't.

7000824 Thank you, honestly those comments are something i could have easily ignore, but after taking the effort in reading yours, now i can´t pass his comment without annoying myself u_u.

You really know how to make a good story. :pinkiehappy: :twilightsmile:

This was a fun read! :twilightsmile: The only thing I have to say is I was confused by the opening line - the way it reads it sounds like the train ride happened at an earlier time than this particular trip to the Crystal Empire where this story takes place. I'd change it to "The trip to the Crystal Empire left Spike and the girls thoroughly exhausted." Minor quibble, but I thought i'd mention it.

7000824

How was that a threat? I just don't like seeing rudeness. I never meant to hurt people? Now I'm really confused. I try to make sure things are fair( I was just trying to say please don't snap or argue rudely in public.) They can take it to a PM, I don't mind, but even if someones been doing something repetitively, you don't have to reply to them with impolite behavior. Thats all I was trying to do. Iget that it could be annoying, but I never really think just snapping at people is a good answer and it almost always leads to a fight. Like this one. This is what I was trying to avoid, but look at me, fucking it up as usual.

....

sorry. Its just, getting so much hate towards something as small as a comment is getting to me, along with url stress. I'll delete my comment, k? I was just trying to help. Sorry.

they were whirlwinded into a chaotic afternoon full of catching up and making new memories.

And Spike was there? Best add the AU tag.

"Care for a gem?" She asked.

He excitedly grabbed a hand from the bowl. "You know I do!"

Because that's the only snack Spike can digest, apparently. It's not like he could possibly enjoy ice cream, potato chips, cookies, popcorn, cupcakes, pudding, chocolate, marshmallows, peanut butter crackers, cheese, pop, or anything other than gems.

Why would he be forgotten? He'd probably be the perfect care taker for the baby.

He excitedly grabbed a hand from the bowl. "You know I do!"

This is cute and I liked it. But if he just grabbed a hand from the bowl then this went from cute to horror story real quick. Handful please.

7001491 nah, he likes everything, but gems seem to be his favorite. SO if you're trying to cheer someone up why not offer the best? :pinkiehappy: Also, Cady did offer him some of her peanut butter pickle with whipped cream and he declined the offer. I dunno why. :pinkiesick:

7001636 SOYLENT GEMS ARE MADE FROM CRYSTAL PONIES!!! :raritydespair:

Nice little story, nothing too spectacular.
Have a like.

Comment posted by Parking-Lot Princess deleted Mar 5th, 2016

7001580
Have you seen the latest preview for the baby's introduction? Guess who never shows up?

No points for getting it correct, though.

I wonder if they're going to write him out with a throwaway line like the last season opener.

Simple, to the point, and executes what it set out to do. Though, it did go by a bit to fast, could have benefited from a bit more substance. Besides that, nothing really holds this back, just a simple slice of life story to have a small moment of relatability.

I liked how the story's title makes sense in a bit of a humorous way after reading through this.:twilightsmile:

Oh. And as far as this story... it is a nice sentiment for Spike, but it's mostly just... Spike feeling insecure, and Cadance telling him "you shouldn't be" then he's not. I've seen it more than a few times by now... and it just doesn't do it for me.

Now, he had seen the princesses act not so regal from time to time...

derpicdn.net/img/2015/10/13/1001577/large.png

What Cadence is eating in the picture, looks fucking delicious right now.

Great. It's good somebody talked about this. Maybe the show will in season 6.

This story was cute, if a little bit abrupt. Spike is anxious but then he isn't. Cadence could have had a little more time to shine, and maybe use herself as an example, instead of Shiny. She did get supplanted as "Equestria's newest alicorn" by Twilight, after all. The pickle - peanut butter - chips - whipped cream combo straddles the boundary between tantalizing and scary.

Awesome story! Spike is portrayed wonderfully and I love how clean the writing is.

But...

He excitedly grabbed a hand from the bowl.

Oh my gosh. Why is this not labeled "gore"? XD

Show needs male alicorns

7003026
Oh my god THEY KILLED IRON WILL!

7001435
There's nothing wrong with trying to help, but there IS something wrong with trying to be the judge of two sides of a story you honestly don't know. Especially when you automatically jump to the defense of one side without actually knowing how things have played out.

Everywhere Hilbe goes, he's just leaving cringey pairing talk that doesn't do ANYONE any favors. He's just pushing his shipsh*t wherever he wants for no reason other than because he can. Also I suggest taking a step back and reconsidering what you think is rude, because believe me, there are WAY worse things I could've called Hilbe, just for being himself.

P.S. I've checked his profile, and dude has zero favorite stories/following ones and yet has 11 Sparity fics, with more than their fair share of downvotes. If nothing else, it's kind of telling of the kind of person he/she is.

It would be good for Spike to learn that less depends on what others think of him. Then again my life doesn't revolve around someone else, so what do I know?

As long as it's not another 'Owls Well That Ends Well' act...

A can of whipped cream, along with a jar of peanut butter with a pickle dipped inside. The pickle had whipped cream on top of it, and a chip from the bag on the floor beside her.

Considering SOME cravings I've heard of, this is TAME!

"incased" should be "encased", and "now that he has" should be "now that he had" (tense doesn't agree with the rest of the sentence).

Login or register to comment