• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,512 Views, 4,527 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,527
 17,512

PreviousChapters Next
To Sleep, Perchance To Dream.

After Twilight's dubious success with her new scanner thingy, Rainbow and I decided that we needed to train up for the Running of the Leaves. We started to increase the length of our runs, we ran whenever we could, and trying to run for longer at a jog. The irony of slowing down was lost on us.

About a week after we began training, two odd things happened to me. The first was when I noticed Rainbow prepping our dinner. I had just made it home when I smelt a smell I hadn't smelt since earth. I saw that Rainbow had upped the fish in my dinner again. It was more carbs then fruit at this point. Thing is, I get my fish raw.

So why could I smell cooked halibut?

Turns out, Rainbow, in a rare display of logical thinking, had decided to start cooking up some fish for herself. She figured that if the fish made me faster, then it would make her faster too. It didn't, but she tried...

Turns out, this wasn't the first time she'd eaten meat. Living with Rainbow has taught me that pegasi sometimes snack on tofu, but I didn't think she would eat actual meat because she's a herbivore. Should'a remembered that her best friend growing up was a griffin.

The second thing was when Zann dropped by to ask me for a request. Quite literally. I was jogging down the road when he fell from above. He was quickly up again, hobbling at my side. I had to slow myself to his speed, and keep reminding myself to do so.

Turns out I've started to speed walk naturally.

Anyways... Where was I? Oh, right.

Zann seemed to be wide eyed and out of breath. "Hey, glad I could catch ya!" He panted. "Listen, I've got a couple plans for the next thing I wanna do. Could you find some time in yer training, say, this time in two weeks?"

I nodded.

"Great. Oh!" He placed an odd bag over my back. "Lulu made these for us. There's a bunch of things in there. I'll need ya to make somethin' from that."

We trotted in silence for a brief bit. I sighed. "What am I to be making?"

"A memory of sorts." His smile slipped. "Something from home. You'll need it for the thing." He hobbled over to my other side so that he was nearer to the fence. "We'll be meeting up in the Batcave."

"You were the one who put that in!"

"Nope." He smiled. "Abes brought it up with me the day before. I told him he could explain the joke to Luna."

I didn't notice my speed slightly increase as we walked in silence. Eventually, a thought came to me. "I just know Abes wanted to say 'I'm Batman" at some point." My chuckles died of when I noticed I was alone again. Huh. He must've turned to go to the farm.

"But there's no turns back there."

Or trees, for that matter.


Since then, I only increased my training. I started running with light weights in my new bag. Rainbow was doing the same. We would be up early, about nine A.M. as opposed to noon, to go for a long jog. A fair few times, we would meet up with Applejack and the Reckless Duo and stop off at the market to cool down from our runs. It was during one of those times that I made a deal with the other two Eevees.

We wouldn't use any moves of any type in our race. We wanted this competition to be about our skill and endurance, not about who could do what to screw with the others.

Each evening since Zann had made his strange request, I worked on making something out of my supplies. I would have to ask him later where he 'found' the cloth. I highly doubt he strolled into a store and bought it.

I grabbed a few sticks off the ground. Making a cross, I tied them together with thin strips of the cloth. Once that was done, I made very crude cloths for my dolls. After I had made three, I ran out of materials and time. The thing was upon me.


The thing was a small party in the Daycare. I had managed to slip away from Rainbow to attend though, which I felt bad about.

Once Abes dragged his tired body into the room, Yomega turned to our three legged pack mate. "So, you mind explaining what we're doing here?"

"Simple." He put a small blue lump onto the floor with a pull-string. "I was hoping-"

He only got that far before I knocked him into the back wall. "Ah! No! Bad Zann!" I hissed in his face. "What did I say about explosives in the Daycare!"

"It was only a small one..." He whined. He relented after taking the full force of my Glare. "Fi~ne." I let him go, and he limped back to his Party Popper Grenade. After putting it back in his bag. "I was hoping we could throw a party for the evolved members of our pack. A small celebration before the second part. But we'll get to that later."

We kept it tame for a party. There wasn't much we could do in the smallish room with the two eggs, after all. After waiting for a bit, I moved to the center of the room.

"Because I don't know when I'll get my next chance, I've got somethin' ta say." I declared. All other conversations stopped. "I regret to inform you that I seemed to have lost the ability to Quick Attack."

"Bullshit!" Villhiem cried. "I saw how you moved with Spike. If that's not a Quick Attack, then I don't know what is!"

I turned to him with a smug smile. "Extreme Speed."

He paused. "I'm not familiar with that one."

Yomega gave a slight chuckle. "It's the faster version of Quick Attack. It goes before any other move, period."

"Exactly." I nodded at the grey canine. "That was the only thing I needed to say." I proceeded to sit by my eggs and eavesdrop on the others. My ears twitched, tuning into Zann's discussion with our newly evolved Vaporeon.

"You really didn't need to do this, Zann." Lulu stressed.

"Nonsense!" He laughed. "If anything, this was long overdue for the other two! And I couldn't pull the next part off with out your help. I don't know where you found the gems to buy all the stuff I used."

"I found them myself, naturally."

"And taking the time to do the extra favor I asked for? That's a lot of time spent by a rock."

"It was nothing, darling." Lulu placed a paw over her chest. "If you are going to be anything like Pinkie, then I would give anything to help it along."

I turned to look at them both, holding my tongue. I needed to check a theory.

"Please," Zann gave a weak chuckle, a blue tint to his eyes, "this is nothing to write home about."

With a giggle, Lulu replied. "Now who's speaking nonsense! First your birthday party for Vince, and now this? Darling, Pinkie Pie is rubbing off on you."

They both blinked, twin flashes of light, purple and blue, briefly flared. Not long afterwards, a pair of eggs entered the world. One tinted blue seemed to cause some pain, but the other purple tinted one practically slid out. My whoop of joy cut through the other's conversations. We now had another reason to celebrate.

We quickly established that Lulu was fine, and wasn't tired from pushing out two eggs. Zann, with an uncharacteristic frown, soon cut our festivities short. He gathered us up, then led us from the Daycare.


[Third]

Twilight had spent most of her day trying to track down the Eevee Pack. Each of her friends had, in turn, came to her asking if she had seen the little dogs around. It was now late afternoon, and now the studious mare was kicking her own flank.

Crossing over the bridge outside Fluttershy's cottage, Twilight went to check the one place she should've checked first. The doghouse Fluttershy attached to her hen house.

She turned the cottage's corner in time to see the Eevees file off into the Everfree. She risked a quick glance into the doghouse, and noted the two new eggs. Twilight glanced from the doghouse to the forest, chewing on her lip, before moving to follow the Eevee Pack.

She didn't catch up to them for some time. It was almost like the roots and bushes were actively trying to slow her down. Alhough, Twilight mused, with the Everfree, I wouldn't be surprised.

The Pack sat in front of a large rock in a decently sized clearing. Twilight shifted so that she was off to the side. Forming a horseshoe with the larger canines at the ends, the Pack ringed a mound of overturned soil. Twilight watched as they stood perfectly still for a long minute.

Soon, one by one, they let out a low keening. Twilight's ears folded back from the strangely sorrowful noise. Once the noise had died down, the Pack grouped up, not one stepping on the mound, and left back towards the cottage. Had Twilight not moved, the Pack would've walked into her. When she was sure they had gone, Twilight moved to inspect the stone and mound.

The mound looked to be about a foot long. The rock seemed to have a large amount of lines eroded into it in an intriguing pattern. Twilight moved to poke at the mound, when a few facts entered her mind.

The Eevee's seemed to be as smart as Angel or Owlowiscious.

The Pack had first come out of the deep parts of the Everfree.

One Eevee had already been badly scarred.

What, what if not every member of their pack made it out? Twilight's eyes widened as she snapped her hoof from the mound. Oh, sweet Celestia, I've just crashed a wake! With a crack of displaced air, the lavender mare blinked back to the library.

If she could remember back, she would remember that this was the clearing her first tracking spell had led her to.

If she had dug up the mound, she would have seen some kind of crude dolls, folded cloths of simple shape, and other items inadequately showing memories of a lost world.

If she could read English, she would've been able to understand the meaning behind the words engraved upon the stone.

To be honest with emotion
Is a blessing in disguise.
While it is the doorway to mourning,
'Tis only open to the wise.

Be tender with your open soul.
Speak words that are nothing but Kind.
Fight the thrall of chaos,
And I'm sure that you will find,

Yourself surrounded by friends
Who are always at your side.
Who'll keep you ever stable,
With whom you needn't hide.

So, though it may be difficult,
Face grief with a grin.
They say laugh in the face of death,
And you are sure to win.

So offer up your mourning heart
To a child, a lover, or friend.
Between you all, I'm sure you'll find
The conviction to defend,

The magic lit within your eyes
And the joy inside your soul.
Cherish each and every part,
They'll stay to keep you whole.

Perhaps it is dramatic,
But I'm sure that we could be
The guardians of balance
Between discord and harmony.


Lest We Forget.

Author's Note:

Special thanks go out to a close friend of mine, known as Sidriel, for composing the poem for me, and to Adensbadens for his Google docs page collecting any and all information on the story. You can check it out here. If you can't remember who's who or who could do what.

Let us all take a moment to remember.

PreviousChapters Next