• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,481 Views, 4,521 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,521
 17,481

PreviousChapters Next
Bonus: The Hammer and Anvil.

[Third]

Another rock smashed into the ramparts, fragments spraying over the guardsponies stationed there. As one, the earth ponies rose and unleashed the bolts from their crossbows. The attacking Diamond Dogs dove back into their tunnels, a few falling from the rain of bolts. With only the light of the waning moon, the ponies had to aim at the nearest Dogs, or risk aiming at shadows. All available unicorns were stuck powering a shield to prevent the Dogs from digging in, while pegasi dueled with a mercenary band of griffins in the skies. Bodies from one side or another fell, many not surviving the landing.

"Sergeant!" Private Holly called down the wall. "We're running out of bolts!"

"The stores are nearly out!" Sergeant Heavy Hoof called back. "We need to hold for reinforcements from Outpost Seven!"

"I don't think we'll last that long!" Another private shouted back. "If we could free up some of the unicorns-" He was cut off by several metal flechetts. Holly turned and fired a bolt at the offending griffin.

"Save your bolts for the Dogs!" Heavy commanded. "Let the pegasi deal with the Griffins!"

A pegasus landed beside the sergeant. "Sir! Corporal Iron has new orders." She wheezed out. "He said that we are to "hold until relieved'!"

"That's what we've been doing since this siege broke out!" Holly complained.

Heavy launched a bolt at a Dog, taking just long enough to confirm the hit before ducking back into cover. "Do we have an E.T.A on those reinforcements?"

"No, sir."

"Buck." Heavy swore, reloading his crossbow. "If we can get the ponies from Outpost Seven, we might just be able to crush these forces between us."

"I'm out!" A private shouted, trading his crossbow for a spear.

Heavy sighed, before bellowing to the guards around him. "Make every shot count! Once these mongrels realize we're out of ammo, they'll be swarming the walls! Prepare to repel siege ladders!" He turned back to the pegasus. "I need you to fly to Outpost Eight, and Nine beyond it. They need to be warned."

"Sir!"

"Ponies of the Solar Guard!" Heavy shouted. "We are to hold this outpost until relieved! We are nearing the end of our ammunition, and soon the mages' mana will run dry. But we will still hold this outpost! Our reinforcements may arrive too late, but we will still hold! We will make these mongrels pay for every step they take, until we have filled the moat with blood! We are the Solar Guard, let our honor be our blade, our duty be our shield. For the Diarchy!"

His cry carried along the walls. Guards stood straighter, many reaching for their spears.

Holly fired her bolt, reaching for its replacement to find her quiver empty. With a gulp, she tossed her crossbow aside, hefting her spear as best she could. Risking a look over the parapet, she spotted an odd mist approaching the battlefield. Wait... She squinted. It's moving too fast! She ducked back into cover as another sling stone whipped past. "Sir! We've got a problem!"

Risking a look, Heavy's eyes widened. "Brace for impact!"

Everypony pressed themselves against the parapet as best they could as the mist neared the wall. Instead of crashing against it, it rose, spilling over the ramparts and into the courtyard below. In its wake, it left behind boxes of bolts. The mist reformed into a large black dog with golden rings, a horn attached to it's collar.

"What is that thing?!" Holly cried out.

"Our reinforcements!" Heavy cheered. "Get that ammo distributed!" Holly jumped to comply as the dog lifted the horn to its muzzle.

Three loud blasts rang out, and were echoed from the sky and nearby woods. Ponies with darkened steel armor rushed from the woods, colliding with the Diamond Dogs' flank, while thestrals dove from their hiding spots amongst the clouds.

With another burst of mist, the dog appeared between Heavy and Holly. "The Lunar Guard sends its regards." Its words buzzed from its collar. "The guards from Outpost Seven will be here in an hour. We ran ahead." It seemed to smirk.

"Thank you, Captain." Heavy nodded. "The Dogs have made a right mess of the grounds. They've dug their tunnels from the Fall's Grace Woods to Drake Hill." He swept his hoof across the battlefield. "If we can't get rid of those, they can keep launching attacks right at the walls from safety. And when the unicorns run out..."

"Tell your ponies to pick off targets of opportunity. My ponies will hold them at the edge of the woods." The golden rings on the canine began to glow, several orbs of dark energy growing around it. "Leave the tunnels to me."

Glancing over the parapet, it sent the orbs arching out over the battlefield. They spread as they flew, and soon a second and third volley were launched. Wherever they landed, small explosions of dark energy sundered the ground. Dog's began to abandon their caved in tunnels, fleeing to the safety of the further, intact ones. With the added support of the thestrals, the griffins were soon forced from the sky.

When the reinforcements from Outpost Seven arrived, Abes had already left with his ponies to collapse the nearest tunnels. After several days of such sorties, Holly would put in her request of transfer, wishing to fight alongside The Hound of Luna.

Author's Note:

I had to right this when the inspiration stuck me. I had long thought about how the two halves of Equistria's military would fight, and it made sense to me that the Solar Guards, the ones with white coats and gold armor, would be too used to peace time or defensive warfare.

I could see Luna, who had last fought in the time of Sombra and other such threats, focusing her Guards to be more aggressive and proactive.

I realized how effective those strategies that might mesh. One army would defend and build defensive works, such as fortresses and blockades, while the other would outflank, out maneuver, and cut off supply lines. It's not perfect, such as both armies being smaller than either could be since they draw from the same pool of recruits, but it would fit with the two Princesses style of combat, I think.

Of course, this doesn't take summons into account...

PreviousChapters Next