• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,336 Views, 4,485 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,485
 17,336

PreviousChapters Next
Dances with Eevees.

I sat on my bandaged rump, watching Twilight work away at one of her fancy machines. It was my fault, really. Spike could only hold onto me so well, and an exhausted Twilight could only be so accurate. And with me flailing around, they missed my veins more often than not.

Also, I learned Flail. Yay me.

Anyways, Twilight had gone over her notes about Abes the Eevee, trying to see what had changed with his evolution. She kept my folder open with her current analysis of my blood on top. Eventually, I gave up trying to understand her chicken scratch, and left through the nearest tunnel to find a tree to nap in.

I meandered my way through Ponyville, accepting any affection given to me. Ponies truly were suckers for anything ‘cute’. Hell, I could see Zann walking around Sugarcube Corner with a serving tray on his back, taking cupcakes from the kitchen to customers. And they would coo and give him rubs and-

Wait, what?

“Zann has a job, apparently.”

No, that’s not it. How the hell is he balancing a tray with cupcakes when he only has three legs!

“Ah. I would assume through practice. And many a spilled cupcake.”

Shaking my head, I continued on. I strolled through the market, taking a quick glance into Carousel Boutique as I passed by. I saw Lulu hold a ribbon in place while Rarity-

Hold on. They both have jobs?

I turned away from the boutique, I quickly went from a jog to a trot as I left the town. I decided that I really needed some fresher air. Passing Fluttershy’s cottage, Conner waved to me, a pail of chicken feed in his mouth. I nervously waved back, before breaking into a run. I slowed as I neared the Crusaders’ clubhouse. I made a beeline inside.

There, the Crusaders’ were debating their newest cutiemark scheme. Villhiem sat across the room from them. We all heard his stomach rumble. Once we all looked, Villhiem’s eyes briefly glowed. Sweetie Belle used her magic to flick a berry at him.

That Bastard! He learnt Baby-Doll Eyes just for free food!

I stomped back down the gangway. I had little warning before the Crusaders bowled me over, Villhiem in their midst.

“No, he learned it so that he could get fed while watching over the Crusaders.”

So he’s, what, a glorified babysitter?

“He was always good with kids, and Applejack seems to trust him…”

I let out a low growl. I turned and stomped my way into the orchard proper. I only paused when I heard a dull thumping. Looking around, I spotted Vince and Cy, head butting apple trees. I almost snickered, until I noticed the fallen apples that they proceeded to pick up and place into waiting baskets. I stayed and watched as they filled up their baskets, eating any apples that got mushed. Big Mac brought them an empty basket to replace the filled ones.

Once more in a sour mood, I started to sulk my way to the pond.

“Lulu has a job, Conner has a job, the Reckless Duo have a job that oddly suites them, even Villhiem and Zann have jobs. Hell, Yomega helps out more around the library then the rest of us combined….”

What are you getting at?

“What have you done lately?”

I helped make the pancake breakfast!

“Yes, helped.”

By this point, I had reached the pond, and my favourite napping spot. Only, this time, I just stared down at the water and the dejected Eevee reflected back.

Even Abes helps around the post office. Hell, it’ll be easier for him now that he’s bigger. And here I am, just coasting along like a leech.

“Finally figured it out, huh?”

BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!! I blurred into the water, letting the cold seep into my fur, cooling my own anger. I waited until my lungs burned before surfacing. Turning onto my back, I gazed up at the cloudless sky. So far, I was the only one to figure out how to float around like that.

Mostly because I’m usually the only one here…

“Hold on. Didn’t Rainbow mention that it was supposed to drizzle this afternoon?”

Yeah…?

“Where’s the clouds?”

I turned over and doggy paddled to shore. I didn’t even wait to dry off before blurring around Ponyville, keeping an eye above the rooftops until I saw a patch of Rainbow’s mane. I followed her as she darted down allies and across streets, before ducking into the Ponyville weather station. I followed her to her office, but she closed the door before I could enter. I placed an ear to the door to see what I could hear.

“Attention… Clousdale Main Office…” I listened to the now familiar sound of quill on parchment. “Drought has reached… Ponyville. Clouds… near impossible to gather… might be moving… to Canterlot.”

I backed away. A drought would be bad for the Apple’s crops, as well as any nearby farms. I had overheard Rainbow telling her weather team that a good sized downpour could weaken it enough for later teams to handle, but I guess they couldn’t find enough clouds in time.

Hey, Brain? Is there anything you might know that could help us here?

“There are weather controlling moves…”

Yeah, but I’d need a TM to learn them.

“Lemme try something…”

I moved out of the weather station, and stood in the middle of the street. I closed my eyes, and began to shuffle my paws. Back and forth, over and over, faster and faster. I could feel some form of charge building up.

More, more power…


Rainbow looked over the letter she had just written. She had done her best to make it legible, but even her best was a mess.

Going to need to ask Thunderlane to rewrite it again. This drought was bad. Sure, it wasn’t something that the Ponyville team hadn't dealt with before, but this one had come into the Everfree from Dodge Junction. It appeared to be heading away into the Wastelands, but then it just veered straight towards Ponyville. They had no time to set up a proper countermeasure.

She listened to the light tapping on her office window. A nice light rain like that always seemed to wash her worries away. That, or a good nap.

Wait a minute.

Rainbow bolted to her window. There, tapping away on it, were raindrops. And they were getting heavier. Springing into action, Rainbow flew out into the rain to find the pony who managed to wrangle in the clouds. Her eyes fell to the Eevee hopping and dancing in the rain, glowing a pale blue.


Eventually, I slowed down. I opened my eyes to see nice fat droplets falling. The rain wasn’t a heavy one, but I expected that with the drought. I didn’t expect the amount of energy it would take out of me. Maybe that’s why the games included power points.

Brain, I love you, you know that right?

“… Dude, you’ve got problems.”

Oddly for the strength of the storm, a lightning bolt struck somewhere in the Everfree, causing me to jump. I whipping around, I caught sight of Rainbow Dash staring at me. I didn’t have much time to react before I was scooped up and pulled into her office. She placed me on her desk and we just stared at each other, her magenta orbs burning into my tired eyes.

Our staring match was broken when a pegasus that I vaguely identified as Thunderlane burst in. “Way to go, Rainbow!” He crowed. “That downpour will help the next team knock this drought down for good! Where’d you get the clouds?”

Rainbow turned her bewildered stare to Thunderlane. “I didn’t. This little guy did.”

“No way, Eevees don’t have wings. How could it move clouds?”

“That’s what I want to know!” Rainbow just sighed, before pulling the letter she had written up over to herself. She grabbed a quill and quickly edited it before passing it to Thunderlane. “I need you to copy this down for me.”

Thunderlane smirked. “Need to make sure the boss can clearly read about our little helper?”

“No.” Rainbow shook her head. “I hate to do this, but no other weather stations are to know of her. Not until Twilight can figure out how an Eevee can buck with the weather like that!” Rainbow scooped me up, and hovered out the door. “I’ll take Leo to her now and let her know what happened.”

True to her word, Rainbow went straight to the library. I didn’t get a clear enough look, but I think I saw Yomega open the window before we crashed into the nearest bookcase.

<<I know Rainbow has a hard time understanding this, but windows aren’t doors!>>

I just gave him a lopsided grin. <<Lies!>>

Spike started to remove books off of Rainbow, before leveling a tired stare at her. “You know, I just finished with that shelf.”

Rainbow was quick to return to her hooves, standing over me. “Sorry about that, but do you know where Twilight is right now?”

Spike pointed down to the basement door. “She’s with Abes. Why?”

“Leo made it rain.”

<<I learned Rain Dance!>>

Spike let out a nervous chuckle, thinking it was some sort of weak joke. The serious look on Rainbows face soon chased it off. “Bad timing, she’s gone a little nuts. You, ah, might wanna go check up on her.”

Rainbow picked me up and flew down into Twilight’s laboratory. There, the studious mare could be seen pouring over data sheets. Her main and tail had become frazzled. Her ear twitched before she looked over at us.

With a flash, she teleported over to us. “Rainbow! I’ve figured it out!” She started pacing back and forth. Any attempts to interrupt her were ignored. “Without a shadow of a doubt, that thing on the table is Abes, but not him either. It took a few blood samples, but I figured it out! When he was an Eevee, his DNA was somehow unstable. All of them are! But then he turned into this, which I’m calling an ‘Umbreon’ following Spike’s suggestion of naming them. Canis Eevee Umbria scientifically. When he changed, Abes’ DNA stabilized! But it didn’t just stabilize, no, it seemed to mix in some of Princess Luna’s!” She jammed a hoof into Rainbow’s mouth. “You don’t want to know about the legal loops I needed to jump through to get that! But it gets better!”

Two scrolls flashed over to us. “The one on the left is Abes’ current DNA listing, the other Leo’s most recent one. See the circled parts? They match! But I found those in what I thought was just excess genes. Spare garbage, if you will, that everything has that causes mutations and evolution over centuries. Do you know what this means!

“Every Eevee has the potential to spontaneously evolve! And Umbreon is just one of the potential outcomes! I won’t know of more until we find more.” She flashed back over to her notes. “But we can’t rush them, oh no. Their genes somehow prevents that. Needs to be natural. But what frustrates me is that I still haven’t figured out why my magic just. Slips. Off. Of. IT!!” Twilight finished. She stood panting, one hoof pointing towards where Abes remained dozing. She blinked at us. “Oh, hey Rainbow. When’d you get here? I think you just missed Spike. What do you need?”

Rainbow and I traded looks. “Actually Twilight, I think it can wait until you had some sleep.”

“Oh no, I should be able to help you out with whatever you need!”

“Okay…” Rainbow shrugged. “Have you found anything to do with weather manipulations in your studies?”

Twilight nodded. “Oh, yes I did study that while I was in Canterlot, before coming here.”

“How about something more recently.”

Twilight shook her head. “No, the only thing I’ve been studying since I got here was friendship and these… Eevees…” Her gaze dropped down to me.

I just awkwardly waved.

“Twilight!” Sweetie Belle's voice rang out from upstairs, “We have a problem!”

<<Oh thank god, a distraction.>>

As a group, all of us ran up the stairs, even a newly awakened Abes.

“Fluttershy told me to come get you!” Sweetie Belle continued. “It’s Villhiem! He’s hurt, bad!”

Author's Note:

Hello, welcome aboard the Crazy Train. Oh, hold on. Miss Sparkle? Sorry, but your ticket is not valid for today, please try again tomorrow.

Also, I would like to offer a non-apology for the cliff-hanger. That's how cartoons kept us coming back after all...

PreviousChapters Next