• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,508 Views, 4,527 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,527
 17,508

PreviousChapters Next
Side Effects Include:

"Tell me," Luna said at length, "do you know the Irony of Nightmare moon?" We all shook our heads. "When my sister and I wielded the Elements of Harmony, I used Laughter, Honesty... and Loyalty. When I fell to my inner darkness, I lost my connections to those Elements." She sighed a regretful sigh. "I did not, however, lose the other powers granted by them, though they've been significantly muted in the years since. According to my sister, she suffers the same." An ear twitched, and she held a hoof out to Rainbow. "Please wait on asking your questions until I have finished. It would appear that, over time, the Elements grant their users passive abilities when they are not in use. Before... Before my fall, Celestia and I thought that we had gained these gifts because of our Alicorn forms.

"Now though, I do not believe that is the case. I theorize that anypony who has wielded the Elements, and remains connected to them, can gain these abilities. Whether or not they will retain them if that connection is lost is a separate matter. One I pray we won't have to learn the answer to.

"Now, this is still just a theory, and I would like your help in testing it. Can you do that for me, Rainbow?"

Rainbow nodded. "Like you have to ask! I'll do anything you need me to do!" She blinked. "Er, what do you need me to do?"

"Sit still."

<<We're doomed.>> I deadpanned.

Luna raised an eyebrow at Abes as he struggled to keep his mirth in. "I want you to close your eyes. Focus on your friends. Focus on them, but do not think of them. Let all other thoughts melt away."

Minutes passed as Rainbow concentrated on not thinking. After about ten minutes, she relaxed, almost slumping in on herself.

"Where is Rarity?" Luna suddenly asked.

"Asleep in her room, at home." I was startled by Rainbow's monotoned response.

"Applejack?"

"Comforting Apple Bloom before tucking her back into bed."

Luna frowned. "Blast, I'll have to look for her dreams tonight... What about Pinkie?"

"Hard at work pre-planning Sugarcube's grand reopening party."

"And Villhiem?" Rainbow frowned at that.

I blinked. <<He's curled up at the foot of Scootaloo's bed.>>

Luna gave me a sly smile. With a small spark of magic, she startled Rainbow out of her trance. "I thought as much."

<<Thought what, Luna?>> Abes asked, Rainbow repeating his question a second later.

"The Element of Loyalty has granted you the same gift it gave me: a specialized, non magical, tracking ability." Luna smiled, and embraced the confused pegasus. "Right now, it will only track those dear to you, such as family and close friends. In time, you may be able to extend it to anypony you are familiar with."

"With all due respect, Princess..." Rainbow leaned back and frowned. "I don't like spying on my friends."

"And you are not." Luna assured. "You have a tracking enchantment on Leo, yes?"

"Yeah..." I rubbed my collar with a smile.

"Do you use it?"

"No," Rainbow shook her head. "I trust her to stay safe."

Luna arched a brow. "So why do you have that enchantment on her collar? I know it's an optional feature."

"It's just in case something happens and I can't find her, like when Sugarcube Corner burned down."

"Well, now you have that with your friends." Luna smiled once again.

<<Ya know, that might not be a bad thing to have.>>

"You're right. That does sound useful." Rainbow squinted at Luna. "What's the catch?"

Luna pointed a hoof at me. "You run the risk of creating a Soul Bond, like you have with Leo. What that means, is that, from the moment it is formed, any enchantments or long lasting spells will effect both of you. Even if the spell was only cast on one of you, it will rebound to effect the other. Just as it has with my Dream Catcher Sigil. You will also experience the feelings the other has. You may even be able to understand Leo, to a degree." Luna sighed. "On top of that, if one of you becomes possessed, then the possessing entity can potentially travel from one being to another along any available Soul Bonds."

<<What about any beneficial enchantments? Like one that passively heals over time?>> I asked

Luna shrugged. "I think so. My sister and I never had the opportunity to test that, thankfully. There are still many things we do not know about the Elements of Harmony."

Rainbow waved the statement off. "So, what's the problem with the sigil thingy?"

I nodded to Luna, allowing her to speak. "For a long while now, Leo has been suffering from a reoccurring nightmare, one which I have been failing to find. To ease her pain, I have blocked her memories of what she dreams. Obviously, this has rebounded onto you as well. This should also stop anything from using her dreams to empower itself." Luna tilted her head. "Such entities exist. They are rarely encountered, but they do exist."

<<So, we're not telling her about the potential for a Tulpa?>> Luna's tail whipped around to smack Abes. <<Point taken.>>

<<Let's get off of such depressing thoughts.>> I requested.

Rainbow nodded. "I agree. What bonus powers do the other Elements grant."

I blinked. Rainbow and I looked at each other. <<You can understand me now?>> I asked. <<We can finally talk?>>

"Kinda." Rainbow waved a hoof back and forth. "It's like, I know you just asked a question, and I know it was about us talking, but..."

<<You're not getting any details?>>

Rainbow tilted her head. "No, I don't think the 'little words' will matter that much."

Abes' eyes widened. <<Oh! Luna, they were already on the cusp of understanding each other! I think learning about the Soul Bond was just the thing they needed to hear to push them over that final threshold.>>

"You may be right." Luna nodded. "I still can't understand Leo. Rainbow, I'm certain that you will be able to fully understand her with enough practice."

"Yeah, we can do that later." My partner focused back onto Luna. "I still want to know about what the others might get."

Luna smiled. "Fair enough. Please keep in mind that these are only the ones Celestia and I gained. Your friends may receive different gifts. I will be discussing this with Celestia over breakfast, and I will endeavor to gather the rest of your friends so that they, too, can be informed thusly:

"Honesty granted the ability to pierce lies and illusions. However, this means that nothing that should be hidden, could be. Nor does it let you know the truth. Applejack may know that you're hiding something, but she won't know if it is a surprise party for her or if you were being manipulated to harm her. One of the first signs I showed when I gained that gift was the inability to lie.

"I got very good at telling half truths, though.

"Magic gave my sister an increase to mental capabilities, allowing her to think and learn faster then she could before. In the time it could take you to solve 'twelve times sixteen', Twilight can potentially have already figured out the amount of materials needed to construct a stable suspension bridge from one side, how much it will cost, and decided on breakfast plans for everypony for the next week. You saw the downside with what I believe is called the 'Smarty-Pants Incident'?" We all cringed.

"Anyways." Luna coughed. "Kindness allows one to understand any being, at the cost of completely empathizing with them. It may not sound so bad, but what if Fluttershy had learned of causes behind Nightmare Moon, and decided that the Nightmare's cause was more important than stopping it?

"Generosity granted one insight into another's immediate needs, but gives a mild compulsion to fill those needs at personal cost. Image Rarity starving herself because she needs to make sure others are fed first." I interrupted her with a yawn. "Well, it looks like we will need to finish this up quickly, then." Luna chuckled. "Finally, Laughter. This one granted one the ability to predict immediate events. However, it is very, very vague. It also tends to wear at one's sanity with all the possible outcomes."

"That explains so much." Rainbow deadpanned. "And yet, I still feel mildly disappointed."

Luna barked out a short laugh. "Oh no, Miss Pie has always been able to do that. It runs in her family. I think Laughter is just enhancing it slightly. Both sides of it." The Princess stood up. "Still, the night is passing, and you need your rest. The inner workings of Pinkie's mind can be left for another day. Come, let me show you to your room."


"Thank you for the information. You should be more careful with such secrets, you never know who may be listening in...."

Author's Note:

... drowsiness and death.

Do not take Elements of Harmony within six hours of using heavy machinery, do not mix Elements of Harmony with cider or any Eris' Apple products. Keep out of reach of foals and megalomaniacs.

Consult your Princess before use.

TOH.Co is not responsible for any potential new royal duties gained from taking Elements of Harmony.

PreviousChapters Next