• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,484 Views, 4,522 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,522
 17,484

PreviousChapters Next
Dog Days: Midnight Confessions, Sunset Bonds.

Author's Note:

So, more housekeeping before I let this chapter start. Whenever I change the point of view to a new character, I will add that character's name in square brackets after the line break. If I am starting the chapter with a character - other than Leo - I will include the relevant name at the very start of the chapter. I have also added in the relevant names in the previous two chapters.

I will not be including Leo's name at the start of chapters, as the story is mainly told from his point of view anyways. So if you don't see a name at the start of a chapter, assume it's from Leo's point of view. I will add his name if I'm changing back to his point of view, though.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

And now, our featured presentation....

[Yomega]

"Okay, this one goes between the big grey book, and the slim yellow one on that shelf." Spike gestured to the appropriate shelf. I carefully carried the book across the room. Spike and I were just finishing up with re-shelving the books Rainbow Dash knocked off the day before. Twilight had already repaired the hole she made. "Alright, those last ones are going on higher shelves. You can go play now."

I left the room. As soon as Spike was out of sight, I let my ears and tail droop. I tried to keep up a chipper facade around the others, but with Twilight in her torture- I mean, laboratory- and the others either moved out or asleep, I could let my inner feelings show. All I've been able to think about these last few days is the part I had played in Villhiem's evolution. I made my way to the main room. What other books does Twilight have that shouldn't get into younger hooves?

"If only you could know."

I snapped my ears up, turning to the basement door. As Twilight exited, I began wagging my tail.

"Sorry, little guy, dinner's not for another hour." She used her magic to scratch behind my ears as she made her way upstairs. As soon as her magic dissipated, I turned and shuffled my way to the nearest shelf.

If only I could read these, I could actually learn about Equestria.

"Yeah, but ya don't even know what kinds of books to start with...."

I would if I could read... But I'd need the right books, but I can't read. I paused. God damn circular logic... I turned away from the shelf I had stopped in front of, bounding over to the stairs Spike was coming down.

As he made his way to the kitchen, I began to hound his heels. "Hey, hey. Calm down. You don't want me to trip over you as I make dinner, do you?" I playfully bumped into him. "Of course you'd want me to drop food. If I didn't know Villhiem, I'd say you were the glutton." He chuckled.

I had taken to following Spike around the library since the others had moved out. I always tried to be there if he ever needed a hand, or paw in my case. This included the kitchen and helping to make dinner. He never really needed a hand, but I did keep him from snacking on his gems instead of actually cooking with them.

"Ya know," he began, tossing a piece of carrot over his shoulder, "I kinda thought you Eevee's would all stay together." He stepped over me as I crunched away on the carrot. "But you guys've scattered around Ponyville. I guess I can't really complain. I mean, with only the two of you here, I don't have to worry about stepping on any of ya." I caught the next carrot piece out of the air. "And I only have to prepare two food bowls, instead of nine." The drake lapsed into silence as he continued to make dinner.

This left me alone with my depressive thoughts. But I kept a cheerful face on. By the time dinner rolled around, I had a plan.

I waited until Spike and Twilight went to bed. I carefully made my way downstairs, struggling to hold onto the candle Spike accidentally had left lit. "So, how are you going to learn to read? How can you even hope to find an Equestrian for Dummies?"

By following my gut. I meandered around the room, before settling down by a shelf with thin books. Pulling one out, I began to try and figure out what the squiggles meant.


The candle I had brought with me was starting to run low. Between its soft glow, my tired eyes, and how focused I was, I missed the soft footfalls coming up behind me.

"Trying to read by pictures, I see."

I jumped, twisting to stare at the cause of my near heart attack. "Abes! Oh, fuck man. You're even uglier in the dark!"

He snorted, rolling his crimson eyes. "Oh, ha ha. It is to laugh. Seriously though, shouldn't you be in bed? What are you doing with a book you can't read?"

I sighed. "This stays between us: I can't stop worrying about what happened with Villhiem." I sat down, and moved my candle around so it was between us. "I mean, yeah, it's great he evolved, but I can't help but wonder what would've happened if he didn't. There could be three fillies and an Eevee being buried over these past few days, and it would've been my fault."

"Hey, man, you couldn't have known what would've happened," he placed a paw on my shoulder, "and let's not forget Leo's part in this. If he didn't cause it to rain, they wouldn't have been as bad a situation."

My shoulders slumped. "That just makes it worse. Leo's Rain Dance wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't given the Crusaders that damned book." I got up and began to pace. "I should've been trying to learn how to read Equish our first night here, but the novelty of walking around in magic pony land hadn't worn off yet! I could've stopped this If I could just read the fucking titles of the books I help put away!"

"Yomega, calm down." Abes barked. "You and Leo couldn't predict what the Crusaders would do."

"BUT I SHOULD HAVE!" I panted, meeting Abes's stare. There was a slight rustling from up stairs as somepony rolled over. "I should have. I've seen the show, I know what mayhem follows those three fillies around. If I knew what kind of book I was giving them, I wouldn't've! And Leo! One brief check over to make sure everyone involved was okay, and off on his marry way he goes! That lack-a-daisy attitude's going to get someone killed!"

"His attitude comes from the knowledge that everyone's okay. You were there, he was devastated when he heard what his rainstorm had caused. Knowing that everything's fine now, and what he could do going forward to prevent this from happening again, he could finally calm down. It doesn't mean that he didn't learn anything from this. Come on, I know yer better then this Yomega."

I let the silence grow between us, mulling over everything my evolved companion had said. I couldn't find any fault to his words. Finally, I lowered my gaze to stare at the candle. "So what would you have me do?" I whispered.

A book slid off a nearby shelf, and landed near me. "Start with that. It's meant for little foals to learn how to read."

I glanced at Abes with an eyebrow raised. "How can you possibly know that?"

He smiled. "Where do you think I started from?"


[Villhiem]

I lay in the sunbeams coming in through the clubhouse windows. Meanwhile, the Crusaders were holding a meeting now that school was out.

"What're yer plans fer the weekend?" Applebloom asked her friends.

"Not much." Scootaloo shrugged. "I'm thinking of using the long weekend to practice my tricks an' show 'em off to Rainbow Dash!"

Applebloom chuckled. "Yeah, ya don' wanna be upstaged by Leo, do ya? What about you, Sweetie?"

"Well, my Mom and Dad are going on their vacation this weekend, so I'm going to be staying with my sister." I could see a sparkle growing in her eyes. "We don't do much together, so I'm going to try and help her around her shop. I even want to surprise her with breakfast!"

Scootaloo winced. "I don't think that'll go over to well. Remember when we tried for our Line Chef Cutiemarks?"

"Well, yeah." Sweetie grinned. "Villhiem still ate it though, so it couldn't be that bad. Besides, I've been learning from my Mom!"

<<I'll have you know, I regret eating that.>> I rubbed my stomach. I still remember that stomach ache I got from that debacle. I hadn't even evolved yet, so the tree sap that got mixed in did a number on my gut.

I wonder what would happen now that I've evolved... No. Don't want to risk it.

"How long until yer folks get back?" Applebloom drawled.

"We~ell," the white filly brought a hoof to her chin, "They said that it was something the doctor said they should do. Something to do with that mismatched monster a few moons back. Soo, a week, maybe?"

Sweetie shrugged. "What are your plans, Appleboom?"

"Not much. Gotta help get th' Social set up. Still got a lot o' farm work ta do too."

<<Which you're shirking from right now.>> I mumbled.

"Speakin' of, I should probably get back to it." the farmfilly smiled. "I guess tha's the end o' the meetin' fer today."

The Crusader's delayed the goodbyes in the way only kids could. Eventually, I had to nudge them towards the door. I hopped into the cart, and rode into town; soon Sweetie's house came up. Normally, I'd get out with the marshmallow filly, but I didn't want to get in the way of any packing she needed to do. So I stayed with the orange filly.

It wasn't long before we came to Scootaloo's favourite stunt spot. It was a clearing filled with homemade ramps and rails. From what I've heard, they were a lot shoddier before she met Applebloom...

Unhitching the cart in an out of the way spot in the sunlight, Scootaloo began to run through her warm-up routine. I stayed in the cart, watching. I have to say, her tricks are impressive. It's obvious she's put the time into them, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was her talent. Every time she fell, she would just get right back up, and try to figure out what went wrong. For the afternoon, I only had to intervene once, and even then it was only because I had over reacted. She had landed badly, tumbled, rolled onto her back, and then didn't move.

When I got over to her, I could see that she was only resting as she figured out her mistake.

Soon, though, the sun began to set. Scootaloo hitched the cart back up to her scooter. "I guess you're staying with me tonight, huh?"

I lay my head on the side of the cart. It wasn't until we were back in Ponyville that I realized that I had no clue as to where she actually lived. I lifted my head, watching the buildings pass. I couldn't help but notice the state many of the houses were in. Some were even boarded up. Her parents must be pretty poor i pondered.

Soon, we came to a small, one room shack at the end of its street. It was obvious that no one had lived in this for a long time.

"Well," Scootaloo sighed as she pushed the scoot/cart/Leafeon combo through the over grown grass, "here we are." I hopped out and helped her get everything inside. The inside was worse of then the outside. "Home sweet home."

My eyes widened as her words sunk in. <<You live here? What happened to your family...?>>

She moved over to a straw mat in the far corner. "I wound't blame you if you wanna take off, if you wanna sleep somewhere better." She saw me looking around the small shack, and with a sigh she rolled over to face away from me.

When I saw her silently crying, I made my decision. Laying down beside her, I lay my tail over her. Both of us missed the small green motes fall from the large leaf. As her tears began to trail off, and her mind began to slip off into Luna's realm, I heard her murmur something.

I didn't fall asleep until the moon had fully risen. <<Sleep well, little one. Know that I will never abandon you. No matter what. Just look over your shoulder, and I'll be there. I promise.>>

PreviousChapters Next