• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,480 Views, 4,521 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,521
 17,480

PreviousChapters Next
They Baked a Pretty Cake.

I spent the time before the contest in a languid state. It's not that I didn't want to do things, I just couldn't focus on anything. If I didn't have the responsibility for taking care of the eggs, I probably would've stayed in bed the entire time. Hell, that's what I did any time I got this depressed back on Earth. The whole thing kinda reminded me of when I was burnt out from work before coming here. In fact, I think that this is the first time I felt this way since I got here...

"Amazing what doing a job you actually like can do for you."

That's not it. I mused as I made my way to the bakery. I mean, I was frequently burnt out from my old job, but that was from my shit coworkers and clients. Not the actual work.

"I still can't believe you went from a creative desk job to a boring bureaucratic one."

"Ha!" I snorted as the bakery came into view. I'd argue that I'm no more than the team mascot or pet that resides in the office than an actual desk jockey. I don't even do any paperwork! I slipped into the lobby and made my way over to the fire type lying tired in the corner, doing my best to stay out of the way of the ponies loading Big Mac up with the cake. <<Sup?>>

<<Oh, hey.>> Zann yawned. <<Sorry, furnace is runnin' low. Was lightly charrin' the marzipan to get it just right.>>

<<And, what?>> I poked him. <<You forgot to eat?>>

He nodded. <<Too focused on it. An' makin' a small flame's harder than a big one.>>

<<Alright.>> I looked towards the counter. <<Where's your food dish?>>

He waved a paw at the stairs. <<I got a full one upstairs. The one down here's empty.>>

I nodded and bolted in the indicated direction, but paused on the bottom step. <<What about the twins?>> I cast the thought back at Zann with a confused look.

<<They're nappin'. So be quiet.>>

With another nod, I quietly thundered up the stairs. It only took me a moment to spot his bowl, but a few minutes to get the full thing onto my back. However, it was only when I had reached the top of the stairs that I noticed that I had hit a slight snag. It took some very careful maneuvering, but I was able to get the bowl down the stairs with the minimal loss of kibble.

I just managed to get the bowl over to Zann when the ponies finally managed to get the cake out the door. Both of us sighed before Zann started eating from the bowl off my back. I just led him after the mares as he did so. We watched on anxiously as Pinkie led the large farmstallion through the marketplace.

Although, I think Zann's and my nerves were only from watching Mr. Cake stay teetering on the edge of a panic attack.

"Speaking of teetering..."

Everything stopped for a brief moment as the cake leaned off to Big Mac's left. There was a loud thud as Mr. Cake fainted. I stared at the red stallion as Big Mac Managed to get the MMM rebalanced. My ears twitched as crumbs bounced off of them from Zann furiously crunching through the last of his kibbles.

"Don't worry, Mister and Missus Cake!" Pinkie nervously assured. A slight twitch of her rear hoof caused her to look to the sky. "Rainbow Dash! Fluttershy!" The named mares paused in their flight "A little peg-assistance?"

Applejack quickly pulled some rope out of her hammerspace and tied four lengths to the platter the cake was on. Rainbow and Fluttershy each grabbed one and pulled it up and taut. She took Zann's food bowl from me and handed me the end of the third rope. I followed my mare's example as Zann took his end.

With Pinkie's signal, we set off for the station again. I barely paid attention to what Pinkie was saying beyond 'stop' and 'start', instead preferring to keep an eye on the cake itself. When the cake was in danger of falling onto me, I darted further out to the side, only getting closer as the confection was righted again.

When Twilight added her barrier around the cake, I breathed a slight sigh. Knowing that the train station was just around the corner, and knowing Murphy, I redoubled my focus. With only a slight pause, presumably to add the trampoline to the conga line of the over paranoid, and the train itself came into view. While they tried to figure out how to get the cake inside, I was allowed to let go of my rope.

Quickly growing bored, I began lazily looking around for something to do. Eventually, I looked further down the platform, and, blinking, I made my way along it. I paused and sat down far enough away that I wouldn't bother Eros, but close enough to eavesdrop.

"Now, remember." Mister Spoon fussed over his daughter. "Listen to this nice stallion, and follow Sweetie when you get to the University."

"Yes, father." The grey filly murmured.

"And don't forget to grab a bunk in the sleeper car early." The elder spoon advised with a wink. "Otherwise all the good bunks will be taken."

"Yes, father." I could hear the almost smile in her voice.

"Now, go on. I'll be here to pick you up when you get back." He leaned down and pulled his daughter into a hug. "See you when you get back."

"And what are you doing here?"

I growled at the intrusion. <<If you must know, I helped bring the cake over. I got bored and wandered over here.>>

"Well, you can wander back." I finally looked over to see her glaring.

I raised an eyebrow. <<Will you be coming to Canterlot?>>

"Yes."

Smiling, I blew her a kiss. <<Well, honey, ya got to get used to me, 'cause I'm riding on this crazy train too.>> She picked me up and tossed me down the platform. I rolled on landing, turning myself to face Zann and the rest of the ponies. <<I think she's starting to like me.>>

<<No she isn't.>> Zann helped me up, and led me towards a different car. <<Come on, we're not allowed in the food car.>>

I shrugged. <<Makes sense. And she is too!>> I puffed up proudly. <<She only tossed me instead of throwing me.>>

<<Must you antagonize her?>> Zann hopped up onto the train. <<She hasn't done anything to us. And I would really like to get her to smile at some point.>> He leaned over to help me up. <<And you're not helping with that.>>

<<I can't help it.>> I grumbled, leading him towards a couple of seats. <<Ever since she first barged into my head, we kinda didn't like each other. I mean, my side is simple. She violated my privacy, but I've long since forgiven her.>> I hopped up onto my chosen seat and began to settle in. <<I don't know what her deal is with me.>>

<<You don't think that she saw->> Zann was cut off by Rainbow flying into the car.

She hovered above the door and swept her gaze across the car. I waved a paw at her, and waited for her to float over. "Okay, I'll see you guys when you get back."

<<You're not coming?>> I tilted my head.

Rainbow scratched between my ears. "Nah, can't take the time off. I mean, saving the world is one thing, but a baking competition I didn't enter in? No dice." She sighed. "Sometimes being the only one of us not self employed sucks, y'know?"

I nodded. <<See you when we get back, then.>>

One final scratch on both of our heads, and Rainbow blitzed off. I turned to the fire type beside me. <<So, any plans for when we get to Canterlot?>>

He shrugged. <<If what you told us, what, fifteen chapters ago is right, we won't have much time between arriving and the competition, so...>>

<<Okay,>> I smacked him with my tail, <<leave the meta humor to Pinkie. She's better at it. And secondly, we'd be in a show, so it'd be episodes, not chapters.>>

<<Bah!>> Zann waved me off. <<I know what I said. You think that the two Crusaders will be joining us?>>

The back door to the car opened and Sweetie and Silver stepped in. They were quickly followed by their guardians. As we watched them find their seats, I leaned over Zann. <<That answers that.>> I slid off him and bounced up onto the window sill. <<How long do you think it'll be before the others get here?>>

<<Eh, as soon as plot demands.>> Zann flopped onto the seat behind me.

I spotted Gustave approaching from a different car, with Mulia still unloading her moose. <<So, pretty much now, then?>> I snarked as Doughnut Joe pulled his cart up onto the station. <<So, you remember everything I told you about today?>>

<<Yeah, Pinkie spends all night guarding the cake, but Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow each... take a...>> I felt Zann's metal limb wrap around me before he pulled me towards him. <<Rainbow's not coming!>>

<<Hey, chill.>> I booped him. <<Rarity and Fluttershy will do more than enough damage for it to be unusable.>> I blinked and rolled my tongue around my mouth. <<That felt weird to say.>>

Author's Note:

Here's hoping everyone's staying healthy and safe.

PreviousChapters Next