• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,513 Views, 4,527 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,527
 17,513

PreviousChapters Next
A Canterlot Invasion: Prelude To Disaster.

We all crowded into the same train car, the ponies all grabbing seats at the front of the car. The Pack all eventually made it to the back seats to escape the clashing energies the ponies were giving off. Villhiem, Lulu, and the Duo were all talking about how the Crusaders would be catching the first train out of Ponyville the next morning. They were going to watch in the audience, with only Eros allowed to watch with them. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were going to wear their rings anyways.

I had always wondered why they were on hand to be flower fillies. Or, was that just Sweetie Belle. It's been so long since I've seen this two-parter... I mentally grumbled. I sighed my frustration away and watched the countryside pass by. I had to sit on a sleeping Abes to do so comfortably, but he didn't mind.

I heard the cushion behind me creak as someone sat beside Abes. I tilted an ear towards them, passively eavesdropping.

"Hey, Abes." Yomega prodded my seat. "Wake up, I need to ask you something."

"Wassat?" Abes groaned rolling to get comfortable again, which pitched me back into Yomega.

"I just wanted to double check on your side project." The Espeon lifted me and floated me to his other side. "How's it been working out?"

"Scrapped." Abes sighed. "Luke got as far as I did before the cave started fucking with him. So, yeah, we're stuck running this as canon."

"Well, it was worth a shot." Yomega consoled. He discreetly gathered the pack around us. "Alright, this is going to be a big day tomorrow. Leo, what can you tell us so that we're not going in blind?"

I double checked that our mares were far enough away from us, before speaking quietly. "So, I don't really remember some of the details, but I do have the big parts we need to watch out for." I pointed at our mares. "They're going to split off from each other at the train station to get to their individual tasks, while Twilight's going to berate her brother for not telling her he's getting married himself. Sadly, I don't know what's going to happen with the others before Twilight and Queeny get back to them. The show focuses on Twilight for the most part."

"It's almost like she's the protagonist or something." Cy snarked.

"Really? I thought it was Derpy." I shot back at him.

"Oi!" Yomega cuffed us both. "Have your snark-off later."

I grinned sheepishly. "Yes, Mom. Anyways, Twilight's going to be at the right places and times all day to catch Queeny breaking character. When she tells the others about this, everypony else will chalk it up to wedding nerves. The next morning, Twilight's going to overreact and lash out at the rehearsal, which will turn everypony against her. Queeny will send Twilight down to..." I glanced over at the ponies. "the V.I.P. in the caves, they bust out and “ruin” the wedding, which causes Queeny to launch her invasion. Queeny overpowers Celestia, the Main Six rush to gather the Elements, but get captured at the finish line.

"They all get brought back to the throne room, the V.I.P and..." Another glance at the mares. "... The Captain releases a love nuke which kicks the invading army from the city. Everypony takes a moment to catch their breath, then they redo all of the wedding prep and have the proper wedding that evening. Luna comes down during the reception having missed the whole thing."

"Question?" Abes poked me. "How does Luna miss a fucking invasion?"

"Fucked if I know." I shrugged. "The show never covered that. It's been a topic of fan fiction ever since. The show mostly treats it as a joke. Just like Spike completely misunderstanding what a bachelor party is. He's in charge of the bachelor party, by the way."

"Great..." Yomega sighed. "I'm going to have to educate him on that, then. So, everyone's going to stay with their mare until the fighting starts. Once it does, we'll split off and help defend the ponies in the city. We'll regroup with our mares after the anti-ling wave passes through. I'll figure out the pairing before then." He gave us all a stern look. "If you notice any 'lings, for Arceus's sake, don't react! No growling, no snarling, nothing. Shy away from them if you have to, but don't lash out at them. Anything we do that will increase suspicion towards them will only cause the invasion to happen earlier."

Vince sighed. "It feels so wrong to be working with the villains on this one..."

"I know." Yomega softened his tone. "It's only for a day, then we can go back to business as usual."

A wave of pink passed through us all. Zann giggled as it passed through him, but Abes began coughing and retching, shuddering for a minute before he calmed down.

"Damn type advantages." He grumbled. "Assuming that 'lings have dark typing, then it's no wonder that fairy typed shield will keep them out."

"Does that mean that Captain's fairy-psychic?" I wondered.

"Not important." Yomega stated. "Alright, everyone. Smiles on, it's showtime."

We all scrambled to and bounced around our mares as the train slowed to a stop. I hopped up onto a chair then launched myself up onto Rainbow's back as she slid the car door open. "What's with all the guards?" She asked, sticking her head through the doorway.

Holy... I shrunk back at the sight of our welcome committee. Is every Royal Guard guarding this one train station?

"Sure looks like it."

That's just sloppy defensive planning...

Rainbow left the train as Applejack and Rarity followed her out. "I'm sure that they're just taking the necessary precautions." Rarity rationalized. "Royal weddings do bring out the strangest ponies."

I glanced over at Pinkie. "A-a-ah!" Zann jammed his paw over her snout. "Oh, fanks!"

<<Anytime.>>

"Now!" Rarity attempted to get us on some semblance of a track. "Let's get going, we've got work to do!" We all hustled towards the station's exit, except for Applejack, who stayed behind to encourage Twilight out of her funk.

Twilight stormed off towards a different section of the station, Yomega right on her heels, with the guards there letting them pass. The ones by our exit had us wait while our luggage was unloaded and inspected.

"How come Twilight gets to go through, an' we have to wait?" Rainbow grumbled.

"Captain Armor requested that his sister is directed to him immediately." A thestral in day guard armor stated. "Otherwise, she would have to suffer through this as well. This being standard procedure, after all."

I leaned towards her and took a couple of sniffs. <<I knew it! Hi, Night Shade!>>

Rainbow blinked, then took a closer look at the guard. "Wow, Leo, you're right! When did you transfer to Day Guard, Night Shade?"

The mare let a slight grimace break through her stoic façade. "Not very long ago. Being up this, well, late for me is really messing with me. I keep fighting to stay awake." She stifled a yawn. "Thankfully, I've been assigned to be your escort for the moment. We'll be making our way up to the throne room to meet some visiting dignitaries, then I'll be taking you around to your various workplaces. After that, you're free to go where you please, if you don't mind the nearby guards taking note of where you are."

"Paranoid, much?" Rainbow snarked.

Zann chose that moment to let out a sneeze of his own, embers flickering out on the stone platform.

Night Shade snorted as our luggage was finally brought over to us. "I think that there's a wedding going on or something? Must be important to include this much security." We all shared a laugh as we finally started making our way up to the castle.

I watched the ponies going about their everyday business from my place on Rainbow's back. Although everything seemed normal, I caught many giving the closest guards nervous looks. I chose to believe that it was out of unfamiliarity of martial law and not a changeling about to blow cover. I would be too high strung if I suspected otherwise.

We finally made it inside the castle, and I saw more of the same. Maids and servants hurried from room to room, some casting looks over their shoulders with almost alarming frequency. Even some of the lower ranking guards were shifting at their posts nervously.

When we got to the throne room, Night Shade turned and stood beside the doors. "This is as far as I go. I'll be waiting for you out here to show you to your work areas when you're done."

"We'll be back out lickity split!" Pinkie chirped, leading us into the room itself.

"Now announcing Ladies Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie!" A fancily dressed pony called into the room.

I hopped off of Rainbow with a huff. <<And what're we? Chopped Liver?>>

"Oh, shush." Rainbow rubbed my head. "Let him do his job. Besides, you should look at who's up by the throne!"

I rolled my eyes before looking at the far end of the room. Celestia sat on her golden throne, as usual. She had her normal aids hovering around her, and there was a new set of chairs sitting there as well. Luna's navy blue chair sat empty, but the wooden, but no less ornate, chairs at the foot of the dais were occupied.

I blinked, taking another look. Ember sat on Celestia's right, her horns shining oddly in the light, while Luke sat in the other. I caught flashes of color on their brows, but couldn't make out any details at this distance. Lulu nudged me from behind to get me walking. I shook my head as we got closer. I don't see their egg. Is it just hidden out of sight, or back in their suite under guard?

We all bowed once we got close enough to do so. Rising up, I could finally see Luke looking uncomfortable and doing an admirable job hiding it. I also got to see his ruby inlaid circlet of silver. Glancing across, I saw a matching golden circlet on Ember with a sapphire. I wonder how hungry she is with that snack literally hanging overhead?

Celestia gave the royal pair a knowing look. "May I formally present you to Empress Ember and Emperor Luke of New Dragonia."

I bit my tongue to stop me from blurting out the first thing that came to mind. Do not make a "that was fast" joke!

"They will be attending the wedding as royal guests." Celestia went on. "While this doesn't affect most of your duties, I must inform two of you of necessary changes. Applejack, you will be working alongside the castle staff and will be required to supply a more varied selection of dishes to accommodate our guests. Rarity, I trust that you will be up to the task of supplying our guests with formal attire for the event?"

"I would be honored, your highnesses!" Rarity bowed to hide her massive smile.

"If it's all the same," Ember spoke up, "we can make do with our current selection..."

Celestia gave her a slight nod. "Very well. If you change your mind, please know that the offer remains open...?" She glanced down at Rarity, who nodded eagerly. "As much as I'm sure you would all love to catch up with each other, I'm afraid that there is much yet to do before the rehearsal tomorrow."

"We'll talk later tonight?" Luke thought at us.

<<Absolutely.>> Lulu nodded. <<Where are you staying?>>

"We have our own royal suite. I'm sure Abes already knows where it is."

<<I do.>> The dark type nodded.

<<Until later, then.>> Cy bowed, causing the rest of us to do so as well.

We hurried to catch up with our mares, who were most of the way back to the doors by that point. Once we left, Night Shade wasted no time in directing us towards our areas. She also assured us that our luggage had already been sent to the suite we would be staying in. Pinkie and Zann split off first, as the reception hall was the closest area of them all. Fluttershy, Conner, Rainbow and I were left at the gardens, each with different spaces to practice in.

I was told later that Lulu had appropriated Abes to help with the dress work, while the Duo were pressed into helping in the kitchen. We would all be working hard in our own ways for the wedding, even if it didn't look like Rainbow and I were doing much.


[Yomega]

I followed Twilight around the castle. She only had to ask a couple of guards where Shining was, and off she stormed. I swear, you didn't need to be psychic to feel the veritable thundercloud she was dragging around. I even saw a mare dart onto a side street to escape Twilight's grumbling glare.

No, wait... I thought to myself as I brushed against the mare's mind. That one's a changeling.

"How can you tell?"

I felt her talking over her hive mind, Brain. I quickly retracted my psychic tendril from her, sending it to brush up against the next pony I could see. Likely letting Queeny know that we're here. Just a guard. I gently brushed my mental tendril across everypony I saw. I mean, I do that normally. This time, I was just paying more attention to what I was brushing up against.

Pony, pony, pony. I thought to myself, labeling ponies as I went. Pony, pony, changeling, pony, pony, po-... I'm going to need to scrub that image out with brain bleach now...

"Such are the dangers of being psychic."

I snorted. Where was that warning on the pamphlet? I mentally snarked as we finally rounded the main palace building and approached the garrison. Twilight stormed across the yard, the force of her anger keeping ponies from approaching her.

As soon as we could make out individual ponies on the garrison, Twilight yelled up at her brother. "I've got something to say to you, mister!"

A white stallion with very ornate purple armor looked over the parapet, smiling once he spotted Twilight. He removed his helmet and signaled the guards next to him to lower their spears. "Twily!" He rushed to the nearest set of stairs and met us outside the building. "Aw, I missed you kid. How was the train ride?" He asked, raising a hoof to Twilight.

One she backed away from. "How dare you not tell me in person that you were getting married!" She finally let loose on him. "I'm your sister, for pony's sake!" She turned her head away and fumed.

"I did send you an invitation." Shining lowered his hoof. "I had to send it through the normal post because of how busy we've been."

"Too busy to send it through Spike?" Twilight asked.

Shining nodded. "Princess Celestia has requested a major increase in security. I'm sure you saw all the guards at the train station..."

"Yeah!" Twilight turned and walked off towards a nearby pond. "There's a big wedding coming up. Maybe you've heard about it?!"

Shining and I shared a look before following after her. "It has nothing to do with the wedding. A threat has been made against Canterlot. We don't know who's responsible for it..."

<<Changelings.>>

"...But Princess Celestia asked that I provide additional protection." I could see the stallion's weariness start showing through. He lifted Twilight's face to look her in the eyes. "This, you need to see." He stepped back and concentrated.

I closed my eyes and watched through my mental senses. I felt the build up of power until it was blinding to even my mind's eye. He released the energy upward with a crack of thunder. I opened my eyes to see the shield brighten as it was strengthened by Shining's magic. I looked back at Shining, and saw just how much energy it took out of him.

As he continued talking to his sister, I tried to see his true self. I watched him gain a couple of feet in height, his armor polished to a mirror shine. He looked like what you'd expect on a royal guard recruitment poster: the ideal soldier. But I spied a green clamp on his horn, pulsing in time with the green glow coming from his eyes. My eyes followed the fine chain snaking off of the clamp until it phased through a wall.

I returned my sight to normal and rushed after them as they entered the garrison. The Queen already has a firm hold on him... I frowned. Just how long has this been going on?

Author's Note:

This next batch of chapters will all start will "A Canterlot Invasion". Mostly because I'm personally curious as to just how many chapters I'll be putting into this little arc, and also because there's going to be chapters from different Pack mate's point of views. Since those would've started with "Dog Days" anyways, I figure that this will be an okay exception.

As always, Read, Review, and Enjoy! (Second part optional, I'm not an English teacher.)

PreviousChapters Next