• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,499 Views, 4,527 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,527
 17,499

PreviousChapters Next
Racing Dynamos.

I spent my days training with Rainbow Dash and avoiding a certain three legged Eevee.

Every time I ran into him, Zann always had to give me his newest theory of my grinchyness. His word, not mine. And I can tell he's been hanging out with Pinkie. Each "theory" is so off the wall or inane, you'd swear that they'd been thought up by a mad man.

"He's not that bad..."

I quote: Was the Apache helicopter you were in shot down by Santa with a RPG during World War One, and you were the only survivor and all your friends died? OH MY GOD! Am I dead?!

"Well to be fair..."

Stop. Just... Stop.

My training with Rainbow really paid off. I could now jog from Golden Oaks to Applejack's barn without tiring. It was nowhere's near my top speed, but I could at least keep up with an average pony. I didn't know how fast the Duo had gotten, so I hoped that it was enough.

It was finally race day. Rainbow and I moved up to the line of ponies getting their numbers. Before we got into the line proper, Rainbow stopped and turned to me. She pushed my rump down so that I was sitting.

"Hey, um." She fidgeted. "Look, you know me and how I am with words." She trailed off, before pulling a red collar from between her feathers. "Here, I got this for you, to make you living with me official." She clipped it around my neck. I pawed at the identification tag. I could see that it had what I assumed was Rainbow's address marked on one side, my name on the other. The tag was shaped like Rainbow's cutie mark. "Now you can always find your way home."

I looked from my tag to Rainbow's face. Yes, it was just really a dog collar. Yes, it should have been degrading. But, I couldn't help tearing up at this. Rainbow must really want me to be with her. I paused, my eyes tearing up. When did she even find time to do this? How much did she have to pay for this.... No, it doesn't matter. Without warning, I lunged forward, wrapping Rainbow into a hug.

"Yeah, yeah. Love you, too." She pulled me off and placed me back on the ground. "Now lets go win a race!"

"Now hold on there, partner." Applejack chuckled as she approached us, Vince and Cy in tow. "We ain't racin' this month. We agreed that we're just gonna run with th' rest of th' herd. It's these three that're gonna be racin'."

"Yeah, yeah." Rainbow rolled her eyes as we joined them in line. "Twilight's still going to be judging the 'Vees?"

Applejack nodded. "Eeyup. She's even entered Yomega as a control."

<<You guy's think you've done enough training?>> I asked the Duo. <<What was your training routine?>>

<<We'll tell you after the race.>> Cy promised as his number was tied around his neck like a price tag.

<<Assuming you will tell us yours as well.>> Vince added as he received his number.

The mare giving me my number attached it to my collar. <<Fair enough.>>

<<Hold on, is that... Is that a collar?>> Vince pointed to my newest accessory.

I led the way to the start line. <<Yep.>>

<<Why?>>

<<So that I won't be thrown into a Manehattan pound if I get lost.>> Spotting Yomega, I made my way over.

Cy sped to my side. <<Why is it red? You'd think she'd get you a pink one with the way this world works.>>

Lining up beside Yomega, I shot him a grin. <<Da red ones go fasta!>>

Vince smacked the back of my head. <<No. Bad Leo.>>

"Hey! Enough of that now." Twilight waved a clipboard at us. "We have enough of that between AJ and RD! I want a clean race out of you three, so no using your magic. Got it!" We nodded.

We waited until she was out of earshot before giggling. <<Does she honestly think that our moves are magical?>> I squeaked out.

<<It's as good a guess as any.>> Yomega said as a shadow passed over us. <<And it's an actual option here in Equestria.>>

Looking up, we could see Pinkie's announcer's balloon. "Fillies and Gentlecolts! Welcome back to the annual Running of the Leaves!" Pinkie's voice boomed from an under-slung speaker.

<<Hey, Yomega.>>

<<Yes Vince?>>

<<Why are 'annual' and 'monthly' interchangeable here?>>

<<No idea.>>

"I'm your eye in the sky, Pinkie Pie!" Said mare continued.

"And, co-announcing once again, I'm Spike!"

<<I can't see anything!>>

Pinkie giggled. "Joining us this month is our three-legged Eevee, Zann!"

"While we wait for the final runners to make their way to the starting line," Spike began, "We would like to take this chance to remind all runners that this month, there are smaller runners."

"That's right! There will be..." Pinkie paused. "One, two, three, four. Four! Four Eevees running with you."

<<Go guys!>>

Spike chuckled. "Well, someone's excited for them! Any other final announcements, Pinkie?"

"Yupperroonie! Due to some confusion over the course layout from last month," I heard Applejack nervously chuckle, "the course this month has been marked with a set of flags every ten hooves. And that's it for for notices-"

What sounded like a belch interrupted the pink mare. "Sorry about that, folks. Just got a notice, here: To the mare or stallion who owns a... blue shed? With the license plate M-U-One-One-One-N-Five, your shed is being towed. Once again, the blue shed with the license plate M-U-Triple-One-N-Five, your shed is being towed."

A brown stallion bolted past us, muttering curses the whole way. <<Was that...?>> I asked.

<<No idea.>> Yomega shook his head.

"And with that done, let's check on the start line." Spike leaned over the basket's edge. "It looks like everypony's ready to go."

Pinkie leaned out herself with a hoof raised. "Runners! At the sound of the 'Vee'. Get ready!" I crouched, glancing to see the others doing the same. "Get set!" Locking my gaze ahead, I tensed.

<<Go!>>

I bolted from the line. I kept my ears pinned and my tail as straight as I could. Risking a look, I saw that the Reckless Duo and the Headmaster keeping pace. "It looks like Twilight was right! Eevees are faster than ponies to accelerate!" Spike's voice called out.

I felt more than heard the ponies coming up behind us. "They may be faster to start, but us ponies are faster runners!" Pinkie added.

<<Who's in the lead?>>

With a slight adjustment to my tail, I drifted away from the rest of the pack. Staying to the side of the path, I was able to avoid the majority of the ponies stampeding around me. With less hooves to worry about, I was hoping to gain a bit of a lead. Another risked glance dashed that hope, as I could see the Duo running along the far side of the herd. Yomega, for his part, always seemed to be just ahead of any hoof-falls.

Ignoring the others, I focused on the coming flags. I let all the unimportant details fade away as I focused on my running. All that mattered was getting to the next set of flags, then the ones after that. I ignored the slight burning in my lungs, the rocks jabbing into my paws, the ponies thundering around me, even the slight pinkish sparkles in the corner of my eyes.

.... Wait. What was that last one?

Spike's voice drifted through my focus. "Oh, looks like something's happening with most of the Eevees! Their giving off some sort of pinkish sparkles."

<<Really! Lift me up, I wanna see!>>

"I dunno, Spike." Pinkie added. "It looks like they're trailing after-images of themselves."

I looked to the others. Yomega had fallen behind somewhat, but the Duo were still running across from me. The same sparkles flaring in the corner of my eyes were being trailed by Vince and Cy. The after-images Pinkie mentioned were faint, but there. Then it clicked: we had somehow learned Agility.

With a shared glance, the three of us came to an understanding. This was a culmination of all of our training, an accidental activation. With a nod, we agreed to ride this move out, and refuse to use it again during the race.

I focused again on my running, letting my mind wander. Time slipped past as our race continued.

Three to try, three to reach.

My mind snapped back to reality as we rounded the final bend. Seizing my chance, I pored every last dreg of energy into my legs. I pulled ahead of the stampede enough to cross the finish line just ahead of the lead pony.

"And Applejack crosses the line first!" Pinkie screamed into her mic.

"And Leo crosses along side her, just a hair ahead of Cy, Vince, and Rainbow Dash!" Spike added.

<<And I missed it.>> Zann cried. <<And all because someone wouldn't lift me up to see!>>

Bleeding off speed, I looked to the Eevees who crossed beside me. <<Looks like all our training's paid off, huh.>> I panted, coming to a stop.

<<Yeah.>> Cy said between heaving in lungfuls of air.

Vince nodded his agreement. <<Well won.>> He gasped out.

The three of us moved to the side to let other ponies pass us. We turned to watch for our friend. Yomega was a few minutes behind us, and practically staggered across the line before falling face first by the roadside. The three of us had already caught our breath, and were stretching out burning muscles.

A shadow fell over us as Twilight lowered three bowls in front of us. As soon as her aura faded, we began to lap up the water provided, small sparks dancing across the waters of my bowl. "I know you three used your magics." Twilight glared at us. "You do realize that negated the test, right?"

<<Lay off us.>> I growled. <<It was an accident.>>

<<Besides,>> Yomega wheezed, <<there's always next month.>>

Sighing, Twilight let us recover in peace. "It's not like you'd understand me anyways." She mumbled.

As she was walking away, Rainbow and Applejack came up to us. Rainbow gave me one of my favourite treats, a homemade fish cake, before rubbing my head.

"Take your time, I'll be with the others at the bakery." Rainbow smiled. Turning, she trotted off. She was soon joined by Applejack and the Reckless Duo.

Feeling a paw on my shoulder, I turned to Yomega. <<Good run.>> I complemented him. <<I'm pleasantly surprised you kept up with the herd as well as you did.>> I smiled. <<Oh Vince, Cy, and I all learned Agility.>>

<<Good for you guys.>> Yomega said. He gave me a thoughtful look. <<It's a pity neither of them evolved.>>

<<Why?>> I tilted my head. <<You were expecting them to?>>

He nodded. <<When we figured out Lulu evolved with the help of the baby blue sapphire, Twilight grew a gem from the only seed Rarity could spare. It was a charged topaz.>> He gave me a cocky grin. <<So called because it has a unique set of faults running through it that look like sparks. Well, when I say unique, I mean to that type of topaz. She then ground the gem up into a fine powder. At Twi's request, Applejack's been slipping a small amount of the powder into Vince's food.>>

I puzzled over this for a bit. <<Why Vince's food?>> I finally asked.

<<Because Applejack feeds both Vince and Cy, they are guaranteed to be fed the same amount of food.>>

I nodded in understanding. <<Cy's the control.>> I started to walk towards Sugarcube Corner. <<Ya know, if it wasn't for the fact I'm curious how the gems work replacing the stones, I'd call you out on using our friends as guinea pigs.>>


Three to try, three to fail. If only you'd reached a little further...

Author's Note:

And that's the race. And before anyone asks, no, I didn't forget to write the training routine for Vince and Cy. They just forgot to tell Leo at the end of the race....

It's not my fault, I swear!

Now, looking at the calendar, I might be able to get a Hearth's Warming chapter out by Christmas. I just got to get Moon Dancer's intro chapter done up before that one, so it might be possible if I get my muse's cooperation....

Till then, stay warm!

PreviousChapters Next