• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 17,566 Views, 4,543 Comments

Equestrian Eeveelution. - Symphonicdysonince



So, my friends and I woke up in this forest none of us recognize, and were scattered by these wooden dog things. Now I gotta find my friends before we get into any more trouble. Now if only I wasn't a foot tall, and can say more than "Eevee"....

  • ...
64
 4,543
 17,566

PreviousChapters Next
Go North, Young Eevee!

I stood beside Rainbow in the Ponyville library, watching Twilight running back and forth in barely contained panic. I could hear Thunderlane helping Moon Dancer with her own frantic packing from further in the library. Why does this seem familiar? I gently nudged Rainbow. <<What's got them all hot and bothered?>>

"They're being called up to Canterlot for a test." Rainbow shrugged. "Or Twilight is, at least. We're going up to offer moral support, I think. My letter wasn't really clear. Moon Dancer's being called up for a progress report on you guys."

"Ah don' get why y'all couldn' jus' talk with Moon Dancer an' all." Applejack glanced down at me. "Make things go a might faster if'n y'all did, an' be easier at tha'."

"It would." Moon Dancer grumbled, both her and her... assistant dropping their packed bags beside us. "But not everypony can talk to animals like Fluttershy can. Maybe one out of a hundred thousand can, at most. And none of them have Fluttershy's natural charisma with them."

The named mare shrunk into herself with a quiet "Meep!".

Further conversation was cut off by a loud thump. I looked over to see Spike bench-pressing a book as big as he is just enough to be able to crawl out from under it.

"Sweet Celestia, I've only seen abridged copies of that..." Moon Dancer stared at the mammoth tome in scholarly awe.

"Wonder why Yomega isn't helping them pack." Thunderlane mused, looking for the lime green Espeon.

"Um." Fluttershy quietly spoke up. "He's taking care of the eggs today."

"Just a test?!" Twilight's shout caused us to focus back on the show in front of us. The studious mare began advancing on Spike, forcing him to back away from a pile of index cards. "Princess Celestia wants to give me some kind of exam and you want me to calm down because its "just a test"?!"

"Uh..." Spike quickly took the pillow vest and military helmet Pinkie offered to him and threw them on. "... Yes?"

Twilight's horn lit up, and I could see her metaphorical fuse burning short.

"Ah'd say she's handlin' thin's pretty well, considerin'..." Applejack spoke up.

I don't know if she was trying to diffuse the tension, and I didn't care. I took the only logical course of action. <<Duck and cover!>> I yelled before dropping into an Extreme Speed and attempted to push Rainbow out the nearest window.

The wave of mana that still rapidly expanded from Twilight's horn knocked me out of my move and slammed me against the floor. My pained groans mixed in with the others and Twilight's profuse apologies.

"You okay?" Rainbow gave me a gentle poke.

<<I didn't dodge, dip, dive, duck, or dodge, and couldn't cover.>> I groaned, curling around her hoof. <<Never been knocked out of an Extreme Speed before. I give it one star, don't recommend.>>

Rainbow scooped me up and draped me across her withers. "Alright, you rest up a bit." She looked at the rest of the group. "Twilight, if we don't leave now, we'll miss the train!"

Twilight gave a squawk and magically stuffed her saddlebags with quills, parchment, inkwells and assorted books. Everypony had just enough time to grab their own saddlebags when Twilight teleported everyone to the station. We all landed with barely a stumble, although Rainbow and Thunderlane just stayed airborne.

Twilight hurriedly made her way to the ticket booth. "Nine to Canterlot, one with a pet, for the next train, please."

"I'm very sorry," The ticket master sighed. "but I can only do two for the next train. If you are willing to wait for a few hours, I can get you all on the one after."

Twilight looked back at us, chewing her lower lip. "I guess we can all wait...?"

"It's okay, Twilight." Moon Dancer waved a hoof. "If the Princesses want to see you, then you'd better go on ahead."

"We'll catch on up, Twi." Applejack reaffirmed.

"Alright..." The studious mare turned back to the ticket master. "Two for Canterlot, then, and I'll pay for their tickets for the next train as well."

The stallion nodded apologetically. "Alright, but they're going to need to wait in the station or on the platform until it arrives..."

<<Hope you’ve got a book handy.>> I started wiggling to nose through Rainbow’s saddlebags


She did not have a book handy. Rainbow and I ended up roping Pinkie into a strange game of tag, the three of us zipping around the roof of the station. There were even some low lying clouds close enough that I could launch myself to. Moon Dancer and Thunderlane kept an eye on us, Moon Dancer muttering something about the possibility of me growing wings if we kept this up.

At least we were entertaining some of the other ponies that trickled in to wait for the train.

After far too long, the train pulled into the station, and we quickly boarded. The train ride passed as all do with Pinkie; someone ended up being sacrificed to keep her occupied for the trip. She never figured out that I was playing to tie her at Tic-Tac-Toe, not win.

I was able to escape her as the train rolled into the Canterlot station, hopping up onto Rainbow's back to stare out the window. I was surprised to see a dejected Twilight meandering onto the platform, a concerned Spike following her. At least her saddlebags seemed to have lost the eclectic mix that was her test supplies, but had found a few thick tomes somewhere along the way.

Most of the departing crowd, including Moon Dancer and Thunderlane, exited the train onto the other platform, letting us rush towards Twilight alone. I still rode on Rainbow's back, frowning at the feeling that this should be familiar to me.

"Twilight!" Applejack called out when we got close enough. She lunged forward, pulling Twilight into a hug. "Did'ja pass?"

Pinkie rushed her cannon out bowling Spike off to the side. I almost missed him getting hit, since I was too busy staring at the lit fuse. Pinkie, no!

"Are we gonna celebrate your awesomeness with Princess Celestia!" She thankfully pointed it skyward before it went off Launching confetti into the air, which she jumped up in time with.

"Not quite..." Twilight's voice caused both pony and confetti to return to where they started, which gave me a small headache trying to figure out how she got all the little pieces to fall perfectly back into the cannon's barrel. I forcefully shoved the thought aside as Twilight continued. "We're going to the Crystal Empire!"

I glanced down at Rainbow in confusion. Why does that sound familiar? And, more importantly, important?!

Twilight led us to another platform, where she pulled a scroll out of her saddlebags to show the conductor. I could already see Rarity's luggage being transferred from one train to the other. Once we had found a compartment, Twilight gathered us around her and pulled out one of her new tomes.

"So," Twilight began, "the Crystal Empire used to exist about a thousand years or so ago, in the far north, and was ruled by a tyrant called King Sombra. When the Princesses defeated him, he cursed the empire to vanish of off the face of Equis. Now, it's returned, and..."

I tuned out the rest of Twilight's explanation, mentally kicking myself. Of course. The season three two-parter. I should've found time to let the rest of the pack know...

We all swayed as the train started to leave the station.

Crap.

PreviousChapters Next