• Published 14th Dec 2015
  • 2,489 Views, 38 Comments

To Infiltrate A Changeling Hive - Lise



A failed attempt to conquer the Crystal Empire has left Queen Chrysalis, and a large part of her hive, stuck in pony form. As she plots her revenge, six ponies are captured near her hive. Each of them claims to be a disabled changeling, yet are they

  • ...
4
 38
 2,489

To Infiltrate A Hive (unedited)

Chrysalis tried not to cringe as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. The face of a pink alicorn stared back. Usually, the changeling Queen would be pleased — the skill of taking on another form was one she had perfected to the fullest. Virtually no being in the whole of Equestria could see through her disguise. Sadly, her present form filled her with rage.

“You think you are so clever, don't you?” the Queen hissed at the mirror. “That your silly little spell has changed anything? I almost took your marriage! I almost took your empire! Next time I will have both!”

A bolt of magic shot from Chrysalis-Cadence's horn, shattering the mirror to bits. The changeling Queen knew this wouldn't fix anything, but at least it made her feel somewhat better. Soon she would be able to do the same to the real alicorn princess, only that time she wouldn't kill her. Instead she would enjoy an eternity torturing her.

“My Queen!” a drone said, entering her chambers. “I...”

Chrysalis-Cadence snarled. She didn't like being interrupted. The constant hunger had made her irritable to say the least.

Speak! she ordered. Nothing happened. Rot! The stupid spell won't even let me talk properly! Oh, when I get my hooves on those Princesses, I'll pluck their wings slowly, one feather at a time!

“Speak,” Chrysalis-Cadence hissed. She hated using speech to communicate — so slow, sloppy and limited.

“One of our patrols has caught another group of potential infiltrators,” the changeling informed her. “They were making their way from the east, straight for the hive.”

“So?” Just get on with it, stupid bug! As angry as the Queen was, however, she was all the more concerned. The changelings were getting slow. It was small things for now — forgetfulness, flashes of confusion, momentary stupidity. All these were merely symptoms, however. The truth of the matter was — they were starving. The last time they had had a proper meal was during the Wedding Invasion attempt. The amount of emotion, at the time, seemed endless. Unfortunately, it had melted away in a matter of months. All that was left now was memories of those delicious days.

“If they are adequate for feeding, put them in the dream pods,” Chrysalis-Cadence said slowly and clearly, noting the drone's silence. “If they are not throw them in the bone pits.” There! That should be clear enough even for a half-starved idiot like you to understand!

“That...you see, my Queen, there...” The drone hesitated, much to the Queen's anger. Get on with it! she yelled on the inside. “They claim to be part of the hive...”

Just great. More soldiers from the battlefield, which means more drones to feed. Has my hive been reduced to this — a band of wretches begging for an ounce of love? And they expect me to provide it, of course!

Memories of the latest battle filled her mind. It had been a disaster — utter, complete, absolute disaster. Why, though? Everything had been planned to perfection. The infiltration had been successful. Worms, one of Chrysalis' own daughters had been in place. Their attack against the Crystal Empire should have been over in a matter of hours. Chrysalis was supposed to become its Queen and use the 'royal couple' and everypony else for a food source that would have lasted generations. How could things have gone so wrong?

“But...” The changeling drone swallowed. “There is more...”

“Just pair them with a base-form changeling, like all other suspects,” Chrysalis-Cadence sighed. If you want to do something right... “And don't allow them near the hatcheries or the dream pods until they have passed the changeling test.”

Maybe it was time to do a cleansing? If a third of the starving were placed in sleeping pods, the others could manage to function adequately for anther month or so. Not much, but better than nothing. The shape-stuck would be first, of course. That way Chrysalis-Cadence would also diminish the risk of spies. One could never tell if a pony hadn't infiltrated her hive under the guise of a disabled changeling drone. Cadence's spell had somehow managed to bind a fifth of the attacking changeling army to their previously owned pony forms. Now all affected, the Queen among them, were cursed to remain frozen in a single shape.

“It's not…” the changeling persisted. “You best see this for yourself, my Queen.”

The nerve the little bug had! If Chrysalis-Cadence wasn't as hungry, she would have punished it adequately. The way things stood now, though, this would be a futile exercises — the drone probably couldn't even grasp its own insolence. Best thing to do was get on with this absurd matter, then get back to plotting revenge on the pink alicorn.

“Where are those insects kept?” the Queen asked, walking past by the drone. “The surface? Or did you move them to the slime chambers?”

“They are awaiting you in your hall, my Queen.” The reply came quickly without hesitation.

“In my hall?” Chrysalis-Cadence could hardly believe she head correctly. “My hall? My royal hall?”

“Yes, my Queen.” Worm infested drones! Useless when underfed. The moment I deal with this you're going to the sleep pods along with all the other cretins that went along with this! My hall indeed!

The trip down her chambers was eerily quiet. Only half a year ago, all corridors and stairways of the hive were full of guard drones. Now most of them were sleeping in their pods. Not to mention it looked like the hatchery would remain dormant for another few months at the very least.

Chrysalis-Cadence's steps echoed as she walked. The sound of hooves was annoying — another thing she hadn't gotten used to. It was bad enough in Canterlot, here — it was as if she were walking through Tartarus itself.

Two dozen drones were waiting in the throne room, half of them changeling, the other — pony-shaped. All of them seemed on edge. Probably they were starving as well. Idiots! The whole lot of them! Might as well get this over with.

“Who are the infiltrators that—” Chrysalis-Cadence froze. Within the circle of warrior drones, among the captives, was a pony she knew all too well — Twilight Sparkle — the pest that had robbed her from victory at the Canterlot Wedding, the nuisance that had helped the Crystal Empire push back her attack. What reason could she have to be here?!

“Hello, mother,” the alicorn said, making several steps towards the Queen. The changeling drones moved aside as she did so. “It is me — Larva.”

“Larva?” Chrysalis-Cadence repeated, still incapable of rational thought. It can't be. My daughter wasn't seen after the disastrous battle against the Crystal Empire. Could it really be? “Guards! Don't let the prisoners make another step!” she suddenly shouted. “You think you're so clever, Twilight? That you could trot in here just like that? Well, you just sealed your own fate! You!” the Queen shouted at the nearest changeling. “Bring me the nectar! And there better not be a single drop missing or I'll throw you in the acid pool!”

The drone flew off in an instant, leaving Chrysalis-Cadence to evaluate the situation. She too had grown slow with hunger and that made her vulnerable. Both her magic and reasoning were far weaker than she would have liked — all the more reason to be cautious. Her drone would soon return, bringing her what little food the hive had managed to save. In the meantime, she might as well examine the 'changelings' her patrol had captured.

The one who had spoken to her was a clear example of a Twilight II, wings and all. Her mane and wings were a mess and there was a vast amount of scars all over her body. It definitely seemed believable that she had been in battle. Maybe she actually was her daughter Larva?

Behind her, standing proud, was an orange earth mare wearing a most peculiar hat. If Chrysalis-Cadence were to venture a guess, this one seemed to be the muscle of the group — earth ponies tended to be that. Then again, they were also easiest to impersonate. That was one of the reason the Crystal Empire was chosen as an invasion target — crystal ponies were practically identical to earth ponies when it came to shape-copying.

Further behind cowering on the floor was, what could be described as a shivering pile of yellowy pink. Chrysalis-Cadence vaguely remembered seeing it before, just as she remembered that it was mostly harmless. The blue pegasus above it, in contrast, was the exact opposite. Flapping incessantly a few feet in the air, it looked at everyone around in defiance and provocation.

A fighter the Queen thought. If there was anypony that would cause a problem that one would be it. That and Twilight, of course. Interesting, why she so stubbornly refused to set hoof on the ground, especially since one of her wings was visibly hurt. Pride? Or something more?

“Need emotions...” A low growl came a short distance away. Standing alone, an scary looking pony specimen glared in all directions. She was a pink mare, her coat and straight mane almost complete covered in mud. Food beggar. Chrysalis-Cadence narrowed her eyes in disgust. Every time food became scarce, changelings such as these would appear — always underfed, always growling, always begging. They were the first to be sent to the sleeping pods. Strange that this one had been sent to the battlefield in the first place.

Last, but definitely not least, was a white unicorn. While every other pony had at least some sign of a struggle, that mare looked as she had never seen battle or hardship her entire life. Not a scratch, not a spot of dirt, not a hair out of place, she looked back at the Queen as if she were royalty herself.

Puparia? Chrysalis-Cadence wondered. Was it possible that under this wretched unicorn appearance was her eldest daughter? She had left the hive moons ago. Could it be that she too had tried to fight the ponies and failed?

I mustn't jump to conclusions. Every last one of them might be a soy sent by the worm-bitten sisters to destroy my hive.

The drone came soon enough, carrying an amber blob of goo. Under the gooey surface was a full ounce of nectar — love emotion in solid form. Usually only larvae were supposed to eat it, until they matured enough to emerge from their birthing pods. At present the nectar was the hive's only means of nourishment... the Queen's only means of nourishment. Taking the blob from the drone, Chrysalis-Cadence swallowed it in a single bite. Instantly, the warmth of love filled her very being. She could feel her strength return to her — her magic, her ability to reason, even her composure. The ever-present hunger was gone, along with the hatred clouding her judgement. Not the thirst for vengeance, though — it would take more than a single blob of nectar to get rid of that.

"So," Chrysalis-Cadence made a step towards Twilight, "you claim to be Larva? And yet you bring five ponies to my hive. How would you explain that, daughter?" An evil smile formed on the Queen's face. "Or maybe I should ask why have you brought five other ponies to my hive?"

"Mother, please." Twilight cringed, visibly offended at the suggestion. "Starvation has made you slow. Why else would I being five Equestrian ponies here, but to eat? The foolish things thought I had a plan to infiltrate the hive and send you to Tartarus. Why do you think your patrol managed to capture us so easily?" She glanced at one of the changelings nearby. "How else would you explain them succeeding in something both you and I failed?"

The reasoning seemed sound. That was indeed some thing Larva would do, treacherous as she was.

"Why don't you change form then?" Chrysalis-Cadence asked. "Seeing you in that form is sickening."

"You know what Cadence's spell did to us, mother." Twilight narrowed her eyes. "We are stuck in one form until it wears off... which wouldn't have happened, if you listened to me, instead of blindly charging with your armies! Even an egg would know better than to go in blind!"

Great — the same argument again. 'Mother, we need to wait a few more months.' 'Mother, I have to find out what they are thinking before we make a move.' 'Mother, there's no point in being hasty.' Always 'mother' this and 'mother' that. Always waiting. Maybe I should have given her a different name — something closer to her nature.

"Now, hold just a worm stringing minute!" another of the captives said. "That here's no changeling!"

"Oh?" Chrysalis-Cadence arched a brow.

"Pfft!" Twilight waved a hoof. "As if you could ever tell."

"Damn straight I can tell!" The orange earth pony stomped on the floor. "Ain't no way y'are a changeling, Twilight. You think fancy talk will muddy the issue, but I know a changeling when I see one, and y' ain't it!"

"Really?" Chrysalis-Cadence smiled. This is interesting. "Continue."

"Yes, do continue, AJ." Twilight glared at the earth pony, her voice dripping with hatred. "How did you manage to fool me to lead us to the hive? You know, since It was me who actually brought us here!"

"Simple, Sugarcube." Applejack crossed her hooves. "Mind control."

"Mind control?" Twilight rolled her eyes. "Seriously?"

"Eeyup!" Applejack nodded. "Serious enough to see you forgot changelings could do that, didn't ya! Oh, and ya ain't Larva, because I am, so there! Now do you like 'em pods?"

The changeling guards looked at each other confused. The situation was far more complicated than they could handle in their present state. Desperate, they looked at their Queen. So they are both claiming to be my daughter? Chrysalis-Cadence considered.

"One of you clearly is lying," the Queen said, moving closer to both of them. If it weren't for the cursed spell, she could get to the bottom of this in less than a minute. Now, however, she was forced to speculate, guess, ponder — all things she had never done before in her life. "Since there could only be one Larva, one of your is her," she looked at Twilight, "and the other isn't." Applejack was give a glance soon after.

"Actually they are both lying!" A raspy voice said — it belonged to the blue pegasus. "None of them are changelings and I should know, because I am the actual changeling!"

"What?!" Applejack shouted. "Of all the worm-twisting, shape-freezing, goo-spoiling lies!"

"Wow! Really, Rainbow Dash?" Twilight said levelly. "That's the best that you could come up with? That we are both ponies? Guess you are more stupid than you look."

"Hey!" The blue pegasus flew in front of the alicorn, ready to fight. "I don't look like this! Which you would have remembered if you actually were a changeling!"

The three burst in arguments. Chrysalis-Cadence could feel a headache coming on. Each claimed adamantly that she was a changeling, each assured that she had been affected by Cadence's spell. At least one of them had to be lying.

"Silence!" The Queen shouted. Instantly order was restored, as pony and changeling shaped beings alike looked at her expectantly. Now you'll see who you are trying to fool, little pests! "Guards, bring me all the nectar reserves! I want them here now!" Four drones flew hastily out of the hall. "Meanwhile, who of you six claims to be a changeling?"

Six hooves shot up in the air. Why am I not surprised? Shouldn't have bothered asking.

"You are all ponies." Chrysalis-Cadence smiled triumphantly. "There is no way six changelings would not know of each other. You are spies, and shall be dealt with accordingly — creating food for me and my hive until you have no emotions left!"

"Excuse me, mother, but you are hasty as always," the annoying Twilight said. The pony was seriously starting to get on Chrysalis-Cadence's nerves. "You seem to have forgotten one crucial detail."

"Oh?" The Queen's horn lit up. On more 'mother' from you, pony, and I'll show you pain that you have never felt before! "What detail would that be?"

"We are here." Twilight smiled smugly. "It is impossible for a pony to find the hive on its own. Regardless of form only a changeling could do that, and since we have made our way here, all the way form the Crystal Empire, the only conclusion is that there is indeed a changeling among us."

Several seconds passed in silence. Gradually, the magic surrounding Chrysalis-Cadence's horn lessened, until it was completely gone. As much as the Queen hated to admit, there was logic in Twilight's words.

"So one of you six is a changeling," she said slowly, eyes moving form one prisoner to the next. "Yet, which one?"

Right on cue the drones with the supply of nectar flew in. Twenty one blobs — the hive's entire food supply — was now neatly piled next to Chrysalis-Cadence. Greedily, she levitated one into her mouth and gulped it down. Much better. Now even if all of you overpower my guards and charge at me, I'll still defeat you. And after that I'll drain all the love from your dreams, as you spend an eternity semi-conscious in the dream pods.

"You, blue one!" Chrysalis-Cadence pointed at Rainbow Dash. "Tell me your name and what you were doing in the battle!"

"Duh! I'm captain Cutter!" The pegasus said, as if it were the most obvious thing ever. "I've only won you, like, a hundred battles."

Oh, Cutter — the ever arrogant captain of my attack force. Chrysalis-Cadence would have demoted her ages ago if it wasn't fit her exceptional skill in battle. Then again, it was unlikely she would ever be made general or even commander. The hive was not prepared for the ego increase that would follow, should Cutter receive a shinier title. Despite that, she had been loyal to the very end. Along with a small group, Cutter had faced a Wonderbolt squad, allowing Chrysalis-Cadence to escape safely.

"I would have won this one as well, if somebug hadn't betrayed us." Rainbow Dash looked accusingly at Twilight.

"Are you trying to accuse me of anything, pegasus?" Twilight reacted instantly.

"You?" Rainbow Dash scoffed. "If you were indeed Princess Larva, I would have asked how come the enemy knew when we were planning to attack, not to mention our troop numbers, position, and what not. Since you are but a pony imposter, however, I intend to do no such thing."

Steam came out of Twilight's nostrils. Her mouth opened to voice a remark, yet no words came out. One warning look from Chrysalis-Cadence and silence was restored once more.

"Pink one, speak!" the Queen ordered.

"Hungry, so hungry," the pony growled, hardly aware of anything. Typical food beggar, Chrysalis-Cadence thought. Wretched, filthy creatures. At least, that went a long way to proving it was not a pony. Or did it?

"Do you want this?" The Queen levitated a blob of nectar in front of her.

Seeing it, the pink pony instantly reacted. A scary looking grin formed on her face. Grinning like a madmare she made a few steps forward, causing the prisoners and guards to step back.

"Just tell me who you are and you can have it."

"Crusher," it replied. "Separated from main group. Fell in well... remained there for days and days..."

"Pinkie Pie, ya're not fooling anybug, ya know!" Applejack yelled. "There are no wells in the Crystal Empire. They use advanced fancy piping. And also what in tarnation is that made up name? 'Crusher?'"

"Yeah!" Rainbow Dash chimed in. "What's with the stupid name?"

"Quiet!" Chrysalis-Cadence shouted. Should I risk giving her some nectar? The name and story sound ridiculous, but her hunger seemed genuine. What the heck! I didn't build a hive by not taking chances "Here." She tossed the nectar blob. The pony intercepted it mid-air, devouring it mercilessly. "Now talk!"

"I was with the subterfuge unit," Pinkie Pie said, in a much more normal voice. "We were supposed to dig a tunnel that would allow you to sneak into the palace directly."

Project Ground Trap? Chrysalis blinked. Hadn't that been abandoned ages ago? And with good reason too! The last time it was used, things ended in disaster for the changelings involved. Some of them were still missing. This idiot had apparently tried to do the same.

"Ended up in a well shaft," Pinkie went on. "Barely managed to escape when the shape-freeze spell hit."

"A likely story," Twilight grumbled. "Mother, I can't believe you are wasting your time listening to this!" She turned towards Chrysalis-Cadence. "Usually you are so hasty, and now..." Her voice trailed off, as she saw the warning glare from the Queen. "And now I will shut up, and let you continue with the questioning." Twilight's ears flopped, as she cowered, much to the other captives' glee.

"A likely truth, you mean." Pinkie Pie yelled back. "And don't think I didn't notice you talking to that pony captain." She poked Twilight in the stomach. "Isn't that right Princess of Friendship? Or are you just a changeling traitor?"

Twilight didn't say anything, but her blush was apparent that even the changeling guards started whispering to themselves.

"You, shivering lump of yellow!" Chrysalis-Cadence shouted. "I expect there is a reason you have been shivering this entire time?" I wonder what pathetic excuse that one would come up with for being a changeling? I wonder why she even bothered claiming to be one. It's so obvious that she is a pony, that it's painful.

"I'm shivering," the yellow pony began in the quietest, most timid voice possible, "because it's difficult." Everyone looked at her, confusion on every face. "Difficult to—" suddenly the pony jumped up, an unexpected air of confidence surrounding her, "—keep myself from laughing at how easy it has been to fool you all!"

"Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash, said concerned.

"No! Not Fluttershy, Dashie!" The other cackled. "Drone 413!"

Drone 413. 'Deep Cover'? That was the best infiltrator the hive had ever had! Or had been, until her disappearance years ago. What, by the swarm, had happened to her, no one knew. Usually Drone 413 would remain hidden for years, becoming part of an unsuspecting community, not revealing her true nature even when her life was at stake. For her to reveal herself now, she must have considered her mission complete.

"All this time together and none of you suspected a thing!" Fluttershy rubbed her forehooves, pleased. "None of you ever considered the possibility that the real Fluttershy might not have survived her fall from the clouds during summer flight camp. Caught by a swarm of butterflies?" She laughed. "Honestly, you ponies would believe anything!"

"Worms and wiggles, Sugarcube!" Applejack arched a brow. "Are ya saying that ya've been a changeling all along?"

"Would it matter what I say, Applejack?" Fluttershy snorted. "So many clues and none of you ever suspected! The stare? Did you really think anything of the sort really could exist? Rudimentary mind control — nice and simple."

"Makes sense, I guess," Applejack considered.

Yes, it does make sense. But then, why didn't I sense her at the Canterlot wedding? And why did she fight against me? Drone 413 takes her assignments seriously, but hardly to that extent. She would never disobey her Queen, after all.

"And you?" Chrysalis-Cadence pointed at the white unicorn — the only pony that hadn't said a word so far. "What plausible explanation would you come up with?" The Queen ate another blob of nectar. "Something spectacular, no doubt, to explain the fact that you have no wounds despite taking part in one of the worst battles we've ever had."

"Oh, grow up, mother!" The unicorn snapped. "I'll hardly debase myself to do that! I might have been under your orders when I was here, but I have my own hive now, and I won't stand for you addressing me in such fashion!"

"Puparia?!" Chrysalis-Cadence was taken aback.

"Quite," the unicorn said indignantly. "And if it wasn't for your meddling, the Crystal Empire would have been mine!"

"Is that so, 'sister'?" Twilight scoffed. "Why did you join us to this hive then? Surely you knew what would happen if you set hoof here? Pony or no pony, there is little love for the likes of you. Especially after you chose to leave and set up a hive of your own. How is that doing, by the way? Still begging for food?"

"Twilight, darling, please don't insult yourself," Rarity sighed. "Let the important ones talk about things you clearly have no understanding of."

Scary. The resemblance with Puparia was fighting. The tone, the behaviour, the arrogance — it reminded Chrysalis-Cadence of the last argument she had had with her daughter. Magic and insults had filled the hall back then, to the point the guards had to flee for t heir lives. The Queen had won, of course, but Puparia refused to accept defeat. Instead, she had left the hive with a small group of changelings to start her very own. A real pity, since she had so much more potential than the rest.

Is she telling the truth? Are any of them? All of their explanations were plausible, some more than others. There was no quick way to verify any of the claims made. The only thing that the Queen had to go by was that one of them knew the way to her hive. Even that, however, didn't guarantee anything. The information could have been obtained through other means. It was entirely possible that all of them were in fact ponies come to capture or kill her. What to do?

"Guards!" Chrysalis-Cadence said loudly. "Put all of them in the dream pods! It doesn't matter which one of them is a changeling. The rest will provide us a nice supply of food until the cursed spell wears off."

"Wait, what now?" Applejack blinked. "You're putting all of us in there?!"

"You can't put me in a dream pod!" Pinkie Pie shouted in panic, all trembling. "I'll starve in there!"

"You got to be kidding me!" Rainbow Dash slide a hoof down her face.

"But, mother!" Twilight pleaded. "Surely you can't put me in there to! I am you daughter! Your most trusted—"

"I should have known," Rarity sighed, not in the least bit surprised. "It was too much to ask that you make a rational decision. Why bother to think, when you can always just attack this, or banish that, oh, and if the food supply is low, just put everybug in the sleep pods for a decade."

"Not helping, Rarity," Twilight hissed.

"Oh, really, darling?" Rarity narrowed her eyes, as if she were talking to a pet. "Because you were doing such a fine job of things? I expect it's a positive thing that you'll be podded. That way nobug will have to suffer listening to you."

"Wait!" Fluttershy suddenly shouted, causing all the discussions to abruptly cease. "You can't pod me! I have this!" She took out a small vial of yellow liquid, holding it high above her head. "The counterspell potion that would restore your previous form! This will prove I am who I say I am!"

"Ha! Don't trust her, mother!" Twilight made an attempt to get closer to the Queen, but was quickly dissuaded by the guard drones. Underfed or not, they had no intention of letting anyone threaten their ruler. "She is lying! You know she is! Besides, I have the real disenchant potion!" She took out a small pinkish-purple vile from under her wing.

"Ain't that a coincidence," Applejack said smugly, balancing an orange vial on her head. "Looks like I have one of 'em spellbreaker thingamajigs as well."

"Lame!" Rainbow Dash flew to the other side of Applejack. "Yours are clearly fake! Mine is the only awesome potion of awesomeness that—"

"Redundant redundancy much?" Pinkie Pie laughed juggling three pink potions. "I might have the super-duper-special-disenchant potion, or it might be red petter juice. One never knows."

Chrysalis-Cadence facehoofed. This was ridiculous! We're the ponies planning to confuse her to death? They were pathetic! This was pathetic! There was no purpose in this! No logical creature would send such an incompetent group of spies! They couldn't infiltrate a stone monument without the stones suspecting something! And still, in the back of her mind, the question remained — what if it was true? If she could be released of the shackles of this pink alicorn shape, she could command changelings again, communicate without having to speak... the temptation was just too great!

"And you, Puparia?" Chrysalis-Cadence arched a brow. "Don't you have any potion, by chance?"

"Of course I do!" Rarity replied. "But it's for me!"

"Typical," the Queen snarled. "I guess I'll just have to sample them all and—"

"Mother, you can't!" Twilight shouted in panic. "What if there is poison in one of them? I would not lose you because of your desire to rush things! You know me to be your daughter, just—"

"I know no such thing, pony!" A bolt of magic emerged from Chrysalis-Cadence's horn knocking Twilight to the floor. The potion, however, remained safely levitating in the air. "You do make a good point, though. Ponies do not poison, but it is not beyond the accursed sisters to have sent spies with sleeping potions, to capture me. I might have each of you sample the potion you have..." Hardly had the Queen said this, than Rarity took out her own potion. Removing the cork with her mouth, she was moments away from drinking it, when Chrysalis-Cadence's magic levitated it away. "But then, I would lose the chance to return to my true form..."

"You could ask a question," Fluttershy suggested. "Something only a true loyal changeling would know. If any refuse or fail to answer, just send them to the dream pods."

Could they be this stupid? Or is there really more than once changeling among them? Either way, this should be amusing. Stretching her wings, Chrysalis-Cadence sat comfortably on the floor. She planned to enjoy every second of this.

"Tell me," she smiled evilly, "who was the one who brought you all to my hive?"

"Me!" Twilight hopped back to her hooves. "I was the one who lead us to the hive!"

"Only because I mind controlled ya," Applejack added.

"Well I showed you which way to go, since you were constantly getting lost," Rainbow Dash puffed her chest.

"I pretended to constantly get us lost and directed you all the way I wanted," Fluttershy whispered.

"Only because I scared you so as not to go in the direction we shouldn't have gone!" Pinkie Pie said smugly.

A moment's silence followed. Confused, all eyes focused on Rarity.

"What?" She asked, oblivious. "I just wanted to get as far from the Crystal Empire as possible. I chose directions at random, and whined until we took them."

Leading, guiding, deceiving... all of them could have been lead the others here. Each explanation made sense, but were they truthful,or did they rehearse? Let's see how you handle this question, my little imposters.

"Who of you adore me above anything else?" the Queen asked.

"I do!" Fluttershy was first to answer.

"Oh! Me! Me! Me!" Pinkie Pie started hopping in place, her mane suddenly inflated to its normal fluffy state.

Chrysalis-Cadence grinned. That was two down. Not much, but enough to feed her for a while. Also, they could turn out to be perfect bargaining chips. If memory served, they held the Elements of Harmony. Surely Celestia would be willing to give something in exchange for them... for their breathing husks, that is.

"Guards!" Chrysalis-Cadence shouted. "Set these two aside. More will soon join them in the dream pods." She licked her lips. "Tell me, my loyal changelings, if I give you order will you follow it without question?"

"Hay, yes!" Rainbow Dash crossed nodded. "I would never let my hive hanging!"

"Like larvae in a pod!" Applejack nodded.

Twilight and Rarity just looked at each other, remaining silent.

"Ha ha ha ha!" Chrysalis-Cadence laughed. "Guards, have these two join the ponies." The guards complied, leaving only the unicorns in front of their Queen. "After such a performance, it's a real shame you let yourself get caught so easily. My commanders have the privilege of using their own minds, not blindly obey like common drones. Captain Cutter would know that, as well as any of my daughters."

Two left. It was all a matter of luck now. The white potion or the purplish potion? Should she risk it? The odds seemed in her favour — one of the was almost certainly a changeling, probably both. Despite their pony form, the two acted remarkably similar to Chrysalis-Cadence's daughters. The mannerisms, the speech patterns, the way of thought... there was no way those could be fake.

"So, my dear daughters," Chrysalis-Cadence stood up, "how would you convince me you are what you claim?" She made walked in front of them. "How will you prove you are a changeling and not a pony spy?"

"There is no way," Rarity snorted. "I can prove who I am as much as you could, and you know it. The best thing is for you to let me go. Neither of us can stand each other anyway. In this fashion, you will be sure there is no spy among you,and I will be free to return to my hive. We both win. Wouldn't you say, mother dearest? You can do what you wish with the ponies. I can easily find more."

"And I expect you will take the potion with you?" Chrysalis-Cadence lowered her head so her andRarity's eyes were on the same level.

"Well, you could hardly be expected to risk your life trying it." The unicorn forced a smile. "I might be a spy, after all. Face it, mother, there is absolutely no way for you to be certain!"

"Actually..." A voice interrupted. "There is a way. It's not certain it would work, but there is a chance, and if it does you will know beyond doubt whether we are changelings or ponies."

This was a new development. It was also unexpected. By offering absolute proof Twilight had guaranteed one of two things — either she would be successful and demonstrate her changeling nature, or she would fail and join the other ponies in the dream pods. Either way Chrysalis-Cadence couldn't lose.

"Well, then, share this way with me, dear daughter."

"The potion." Twilight looked up to where both vials were levitating. "A sip of the potion should be able to break the spell, even if for a few minutes. If I am right, I will transform before your very eyes and you will still have enough to return to your usual self."

"In that case, do go on." The Queen levitated the purple potion to Twilight's lips. "Just a sip," she added. "If you try to drink more things will become very unpleasant."

A trick? Or is she really serious? Chrysalis-Cadence waited. The thought of being free filled her with energy. Twilight was nervous — that much was visible. She was trying to hide it, yet het left forehoof was trembling. Was she scared for her own safety or for the Queen's? Extremely slowly she tilted the vial and took the smallest of sips. It was almost as if only her lips touched the liquid.

Endless seconds passed with nothing happened. There was no flash of light, no change of shape, just Twilight standing there looking stupid. So much for hoping, Chrysalis-Cadence sighed. It seemed that another pony would be joining the dream pod group. The Queen was just about to give the order, when suddenly Twilight collapsed on the floor and started lurching.

Poison?! Chrysalis shuddered. You drank poison, just so as to try to get me drink it as well? You certainly have grown vicious, ponies. A few moons ago, the thought would never had crossed your soft little minds.

"Guards," she turned around, displeased. Obviously she was going to be stuck with this pinkish form a little longer. "Fly her somewhere out of the hive. I don't want to risk infestation. And for worm's sake, do not come in direct contact with her. Web her, cocoon her, if you have to, but—"

"My Queen." one of the drones interrupted her. "Look!"

This was unexpected. Chrysalis-Cadence was not in the habit of being cut off, least of all by her own drones. The stupid creatures lived to fulfill her will. A single word from her and they would fly towards the horizon, never to return. Where did this one find the determination to go against her?

"How dare you—" she turned around briskly, ready to lash out at the unfortunate guard, yet what she saw made her freeze. A few steps way, lying on the ground in the exact location Twilight had been, was a changeling... and not just any changeling. Long insect wings, twisted horn, green eyes, and a black crownlet upon her head — there was no doubt at all, that this was none other than Chrysalis-Cadence's own daughter.

"Larva?" the Queen asked, still uncertain whether her eyes weren't playing tricks on her.

"Hello, mother," the changeling coughed, barely capable of moving. "I told you, I would prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. I am your daughter, and the potion works. It just made me hungry... so hungry..."

“Finally!” Chrysalis-Cadence shouted. At last I can be free! Ignoring Larva completely, she levitated the potion and gulped it down. It tasted strange – sweetish fresh with a hint of love. Definitely not as tasty or nourishing as she was used to, but if that meant her getting back her usual shape, none of that mattered! As long as she could get back to plotting her revenge, all—

Suddenly Chrysalis-Cadence's surroundings changed. She was no longer in the main hall of her hive, instead she was in another throne room, one made entirely of crystal. More alarmingly, she was not alone.

“You don't have to go on with this.” She heard Shining Armour say. “I don't want to risk your life for something that might not work.”

”You worry too much. Of course it will work. Her own voice responded. “Both Luna and your sister assured us it will. Don't you trust them?”

”I do, it's just that...” A pause. “This is just so dangerous. I don't want to lose you. It's not like before. We have foals now.

”That's precisely why I'm doing this. I don't want to have them grow up not knowing who to trust, constantly fearing another attack. And there is also the matter of the changelings. As long as they are underfed, they will keep coming.

”Flying in their hive is hardly the best solution!” Shining shouted. “What if one of them suspects? If they learn you are among them, they would use you to feed them, or worse! I won't allow it!”

”Shining, dearest, you have no choice,” She felt herself smile. ”I am going and that is final. Luna has made an elixir of Chrysalis' memories since before we captured her. Twilight's shape-freeze spell will take care of the rest. As far as everyone is concerned, I will be just a very angry Cadence-shaped changeling Queen, furiously flying back after another defeat.

”I can see the very angry bit even now,” Shining laughed, trying to put up a brave front. “I'm still worried of about the rest of the plan. What if the girls don't come through? We are putting all our faith in one changeling.

”My love, one changeling is all it takes...”

The scene quickly faded away. Chrysalis-Cadence was back in the hall. The changeling drones were there, as well as Twilight's friends. Everything seemed exactly the same as a moment ago, with one key exception — Cadence knew who she was now. The false veil of Chrysalis' memories had been pierced by the potion Larva had brought, and now the Princess of Love could proceed with her plan.

“Changelings,” she said loudly, her voice ringing throughout the hall. “Prepare yourselves!” The alicorn's horn shone brightly in a magnificent pink. “Prepare to experience a feast you never have before!”

Moments later a blast of pink energy enveloped the hive.



* * *


“There is no way this stupid idea would work!” Chrysalis said, standing at the window. “Do they take my changelings for fools? They will Instantly spot the difference and place her in a dream pod.”

“So you have said for the fiftieth time, mother,” a smaller changeling said, seated at a coffee table.

“They will drain her from emotions and then grow fat and strong,” the changeling Queen went on. “I bet they will crown a few Queen. Probably that weakling Web, or maybe somebug even worse!”

“If you say so, mother...” the other changeling took a sip of tea. Surprisingly enjoyable, although not in the least bit nourishing.

“You are taking this too lightly, Puparia!” Chrysalis snapped. “Cadence will fail, your sister will fail, and we will be without a hive! We must escape! Get out out of here and—”

“We have disabling spells cast on us, mother,” Puparia sighed. It was the same conversation every time. Five days had passed, and each day Chrysalis had acted in exactly the same fashion, like clockwork. She would start the morning with fear, which by lunch would turn into anger, then tone it down to whining and finally go into philosophical acceptance by evening.

“Larva will do fine, she always does...”

“Bah! I'll tie my wings in a knot before I believe that!” Chrysalis snapped, then moved away from the window.

A sudden flash of purple filled the room.

“Hello, Twilight,” Puparia said, not skipping a beat. She had become quite used to the alicorn's teleportation spell, so much so that she barely registered it as anything unusual. “A bit early for food, isn't it?”

“What?” Twilight blinked. “Oh, right. No. That's not why I've come. Cadence, Larva and my friends were successful. Your hive is well fed, and set to changing its ways. A few more days and we'll let you join them.”

“No hurry.” Puparia took another sip of tea. This was something she would miss, along with not having her own hive, of course. Maybe she could convince somepony to send her shipments of the stuff. Twilight might agree, if she presented it as a research project of sorts. “Do you need us to change for the little ones again?”

“Oh, no.” Twilight rapidly shook her head. “Shining has managed to put them to sleep. Hopefully that would get them to stop asking questions for… a few hours,” she sighed.

“Well, anytime you need a temporary Cadence and Rarity, just let us know.” The changeling offered. From the bed Chrysalis groaned. “Mother seems to enjoy it a lot. A shame she never acted that way with her own daughters, did you mother?”

“Just drink your tea, Puparia!” the changeling Queen grumbled.

“Err, well yes,” Twilight smiled uneasily. It was obvious that at this stage even she felt slightly uncomfortable around them. Still, it was progress — they were well fed and not at their throats. Puparia didn't even feel the desire to conquer species to drain their emotions anymore.

“I'll come again when I get more news,” Twilight said, and teleported out of the room.

Finishing her tea, Puparia placed the cup on the table, then went to the window. There was so much happiness in the air, she could get drunk on it.

“You know what, mother?” she said, looking outside. “I think I'll move here. The place is nice, and I think the ponies could use a music star. There seem to be so few of those here.”

“I don't care, Puparia!” Chrysalis snarled. “Do as you like. You always have.”

Puparia smiled. Indeed, her mother never used to care, but now she had sensed the slightest of tinglings in her voice. Having a constant supply of food definitely provided a new perspective on life. A few years living here and who knows — Puparia might change even more.

“Hello, Crystal Empire,” the changeling said loudly. “Let me feel your love!”

Comments ( 37 )

6731734 Sorry, sorry :( Real life always catches me unprepared :(

Rambling italics.

Ok. Wow. This is absolutely fantastic world building. I simply LOVE what you've done with the changeling kingdom, and the Queen's inner monologue. Have a like, my dear! And a fave!

6732388 Oh, confound it :((( Will wait till the contest is over to fix. Shouldn't be too long.

Sorry :((

6732389 :)) Thank you! Very glad you enjoyed :D

Changelings are always fun to explore :)

6732389 More like extremely convoluted.

Btw how does this even qualify as comedy?

6732677 I really liked it. It was very creative, and entertaining. So, maybe it was convoluted for you, darling, but I find it splendidly well done.

6732695 Maybe... But maybe you should re-read and notice how much of a clusterfuck of information it is.

And this is coming from someone who tends to overcomplicate and overthink things. Like "The Canterlot Invasion was a staged/controlled failure" levels.

This fic moves at a way too fast pace, and especially near the end I feel that besides the magical Mcguffins that this fic is filled with until that point... it feels rushed... Too rushed in fact. Not just from an editing perspective but from storyline and events as well.

This fic desrved double if not triple the length to establish the events that happened before and after. Especially the ending makes it clear that this fic was rushing to end if only to catch the deadline. I care/know nothing of the characters that make this fic a clusterfuck (sorry for my tongue). I have been in the same position in my first fic where I tried to introduce 5 characters at once.

Believe me they need their time otherwise it's going to be messy. And messy this fic is.

I however am not going to stop you from enjoying this. I would enjoy it as well but I feel like I'm served a delicious steak, but with the condition I swallow it... With the bone. So you can imagine I feel frustrated and confused.

I am sorry but I am disliking this.

I mustn't jump to conclusions. Every last one of them might be a soy sent by the worm-bitten sisters to destroy my hive.

A soy?
home.allergicchild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iStock_000004283522Small-590x410.jpg

6732826 Thats...fine. I really don't know what your trying to argue with me for. I liked it. You are allowed to dislike it, if you want. But your attempts to have me follow your hoof steps isn't going to work.

There's a good idea here, but as is this is just one-long debate with people shouting at each-other.

6732677 So sorry for misleading you :(

I thought it merited the tag, but obviously was wrong.
Will do a mass edit/rewrite when real life allows.

6733243 Thank you :)
Was extremely rushed, yes. The way I haven't been able to get things written lately, I decided to 'what-the-hay' it and go for it.

Sorry for the condition - will mass edit/rewrite end of this week or start of next (probably add 1-4K)

Real life could be weird sometimes...

6733237 I am not trying to argue with you. I am trying to justify my opinion based on what I read. I am trying to tell you this opinion of mine isn't just a childish one from someone who flails their hands around angrily.
6734151 That's not a problem. Anyway do it because you want to not because I said so.

My question was did the hive really have "evil ways"? I mean sure Chrysalis was evil but why should the rest of the hive be?

There are also a lot of questions as in how couldn't the changelings sense ponies among them? Why didn't Chrysalis just wait for the shape-locking spell to wear off... Where were all the originals when this happened? Because not all of them were outcasts or whatever. And why does the potion have 2 effects? After the reveal why did the changelings even stay/obey the false Queen?

See this fic I could make a Cinema Sins type of video about it. Keep it simple please... Its not like simplicity is devoid of being complex on its own.

1st read through: Wait...what?!:rainbowhuh:
2nd read through: So Cadance was the Chrysalis in the hive, and the real Chrysalis was in the Crystal Empire? What? I'm so confused!:raritydespair:
3rd read through: I think I get it. I'm not sure. I'm not sure I even know.:facehoof:
4th read through: It's official. I understand this story only barely.:ajbemused:
5th read through: Oh... I finally get it!
*Looking back* Wow...I was so slow.:facehoof:

Interesting twist~ :twistnerd:

6734508 :)) It could be confusing.
(Another reason I wanted to get this out of my head :)

Really thanks for investing 5 reads in this :D

6734545 :D Everyone loves Twist!

6734590
Especially interesting.:3

6734589
Yep! One of the best stories if you don't get confused!:scootangel:

Every last one of them might be a soy

And soy-ponies' love doesn't taste remotely as good as the real stuff. :trollestia:

"Would it matter what I say, Applejack?" 

And Would It Matter If She Was?

Holy crap, this mind-screw. I had this wild idea that Chrysalis might be the actual infiltrator, but you had me thoroughly convinced otherwise by the end.

I had an inkling suspicion that something was amiss. Heck, one wrong turn could've ended up in reverse. Heck, there's even a darker ending where Cadance ended up as the new queen. etc. etc. But, as one who really, and thoroughly enjoys good endings, this was nice. I liked the mini-introductions, as well as the familial discord between the royalty. Very interesting idea, executed decently. ... Lots of typos though that made me chuckle.
i.e. the soy ponies, among other things.
(and now I'm imagining tofu ponies wandering around a big ramen bowl.)

6735064 Soys everywhere and not a bite to eat :)

6736818 Thank you :)
Indeed lots of accidents were possible... including a changeling revolution :) Then again, who would harm Cadence ? (Apart from Chrysalis :))

6738720 Slapstick pain. Goo pies, slippery slopes, ponies, changelings, furniture, the lost lost twin brother of the shmooze, the shmooze (no relation)....

I like the way this story is set up and the way the mystery is gradually uncovered. The reveal that Chrysalis is actually a mind-wiped Cadance was very well done.

But a few minutes after finishing it, fridge logic started to kick in and I couldn't help but grow increasingly confused by the ending. If Puparia and Chrysalis are in such good relations with the ponies that Shining Armour and Cadance are willing to trust them around their kids, then presumably this whole situation is a cooperative endeavour. So why on earth does Cadance need to go to such extreme lengths to infiltrate the hive to begin with? Couldn't Chrysalis have simply let her in?

Did I miss something obvious?

6801936 I would imagine so. Disabling spells + free source of love (and presumable a guard contingent) would make for a pair of rather cooperative changelings, even with Chrysalis' mood-swings.

6801936 Sorry for the late reply :(
Well, in fact they are not in good relations :) The plan was hatched out of necessity.
On a side note, I probably should find the mood to rewrite this adequately. Who knows, maybe make a changeling rock star. :)

6803704 Very much so :D

very enjoyable story :twilightsmile:

6813334 Thanks, Twi :D Sorry I saw the responce, so late :(

That was nice. And Chryssie won't have to worry about food anymore. Heck, with some luck changelings could find work with the ponies.

7087572 :) Thanks!
That was the grand plan of things :) Also, rockstar Changelings sound sound so cool :)

7090685 Yeah! Or what I saw in some other fic, changelings as decoys for famous idols, singers, etc., allowing them to leave public events unmolested by fans and at the same time soaking up the monstrous amounts of adoration and love.

Woah. Did not see that coming.:rainbowderp:









Awesome!!!:rainbowdetermined2:

7289657 :) Glad you enjoyed :D

Login or register to comment