• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 10,110 Views, 910 Comments

Seven Lights - Fresnor



The multiverse is just one grand experiment for many immortals as they try to explore its secrets. This is the story of one such experiment on what would happen if a new element was added to a universe that nearly exactly parallels the original.

  • ...
25
 910
 10,110

69

“Ahhh, I so needed this.” Rainbow Dash sighed in relief as she leaned back to relax in the hot tub. The ten princesses of Equestria had gathered at a spa in the Crystal Empire after having finished up with the events of the Equestrian games and was the first time they were all able to gather in one place since the battle against Tirek.

“Didn't you always say that you wouldn't be caught dead in a place like this, darling?” The cyan alicorn cracked an eye open to look over at Rarity before closing it once again.

“Hey, I didn't see you helping pull a giant block of ice away from the city so it didn't squash anypony. That thing was seriously heavy even with all the pegasii in the stadium helping. It was a good thing that Flare did whatever she did to avoid those magic blockers so she could stop it from falling so we could get enough ropes to even do that.” Over in the mud paths, which was of a slime-like consistency due to the ground-up crystals used in the spa's mixture, Cadance glanced over with a frown at the orange alicorn who was also in the hot tub looking over some paperwork.

“I've been meaning to ask about that. Just how did you manage to get by everything that my husband had set up? He didn't look very happy with you, especially during your little duel afterwards.” The distracted mare opened her mouth to answer but was beaten to the punch by Twilight as she let out a groan of annoyance.

“Ugh, what is with you two anyways!? Every time you two get together you both just have to start a brawl with each other.” Celestia looked over at the lavender mare from her place in the mud baths, concerned over her harsh tone of voice. Aegis Flare glanced up from the paperwork she was reading before she shrugged in response.

“What, it's not that odd for masters of their crafts to challenge one another. Do you know how few unicorns out there are as skilled as we are when it comes to shield-based magic? Who better to get around your defenses than someone else who knows how they work? Hopefully next time I won't have to hold back as much.” Luna snorted before she nudged at her sister next to her.

“My that brings back memories. How often was it that you used that as an excuse when we sparred all those years ago when you lost? How many times did you win again?” Luna poked at Celestia with a wing, causing her to frown in annoyance and shove back with her own wing. It didn't stop her sister who just kept right on poking until she retaliated by pouncing at her and attempted to shove her head into the mud. All eyes were on the two while the conversation continued.

“Well, it sure didn't seem like you had much of a chance this time. You didn't even get close to hitting him unlike last time, well, other than that ball of water at the end. Kind of a cheap move really when you were already down.” The darker orange mare frowned at Rainbow Dash's comment before shaking her head in annoyance.

“Yeah, well it's not like I was at my best at the time, having held up that chunk of ice alone while you gathered the pegasii to drag it away. He was able to counter everything I did before and... Well... Let's just say he still hasn't seen everything that I can do and that cheap shot was a warning to him. I have a few ideas ready for next time, some of which are still not ready for sparring use just yet.” She glanced down at a hoof as she thought about some of what she had planned for future matches with the small grin.

“Um, but you still didn't answer Cadance's question about how you could still use your magic.” Fluttershy's voice was quiet, but still clearly heard from behind her cousin, getting a massage by one of the spa ponies. The group watched the two elder princes wrestle in the mud for a moment longer before looking back again, waiting for an answer.

“It wasn't really that hard. He only put the inhibitors at the ground entrances while I flew in through one of the winged entrances, one watched over by a Black Guard member. Of course, I found out from them that it wouldn't have mattered anyways and it highlighted the biggest issue I had with the so-called security. The enchantments were only set to block external magic use and the use of runes.” The other alicorns looked at Aegis Flare blankly at first, until Twilight planted a hoof onto her muzzle.

“That's right, you can't use runes and don't know how to use external mana. But that still doesn't explain why you avoided going through the security measures, or even how actually. I remember my brother talking about them before and he said that they were at every entrance and only a unicorn could disable them. Every unicorn inside the building had to go through those gates, even guards so there couldn't have been any on those upper levels. So how...” She trailed off in thought. The bat-winged mare just smirked as she continued in her reading before saying a solitary word.

“Changelings.” Confused blinks met the word until Cadance groaned in annoyance.

“It was Thorax again, wasn't it?” At the nod that came in reply, she shook her head before she froze in place and her head shot up.

“Wait, if he was inside and could shut down the gates, does that mean other changelings could have gotten in as well?!” Another nod was her response which caused her to freeze up in horror at the implications.

“That would be the biggest reason why I ignored Shining Armor's plans because Chrysalis is still out there. In fact, other than Thorax, I had four others that verified that their brands of magic weren't blocked and in place. Luckily they weren't needed in the end even with that near disaster that did happen.” The others, barring the wrestling sisters, stopped to think about the implications of what they had heard. Ever since the attack on the capital, there had been searches for Chrysalis, yet no trace of her had been found. Even Blueblood's actions in getting in contact with the actual changeling leadership hadn't led to any information. Not wanting to think on it any longer, Cadance shook her head and looked around for a change of topic, her eyes settling on a certain cyan mare that she had noticed some changes in recently.

“I'll have to speak with Shiny about that later, but we're supposed to be relaxing right now. Besides, I'm more interested in what is going on with you right now, Rainbow Dash. You've all been here a few days now, yet I have not seen a single pony trying to impress you. So spill, who is the lucky pony that caught your attention?” Said mare jerked up at the attention while her eyes shifted around a moment before she closed them and let her ego do the talking, which had become rare for her.

“Oh, nobody important. Just somebody finally as awesome as me.” Twilight just snorted in disbelief at her friend, causing the mare to turn a glare on the bibliophile.

“I'm not even sure if that should even count. You didn't even clean up after yourselves.” Cadance looked at her sister-in-law in confusion until the purple princess pony rolled her eyes and began to explain, much to Rainbow Dash's wide-eyed embarrassment.

vvvvvvvvvv

Aegis Flare and Twilight Sparkle blinked in confusion at what they found in the castle throne room after leaving the mirror portal behind. The rest of their friends, even Pinkie who they hadn't noticed had disappeared, were currently gathered around Rainbow Dash as she showed off an object on her head, her mane and tail still damp.

“So what do you think, Rarity? How is this for new fashion?” The mare fluttered her ears around, causing the cups covering them the rise and fall. The two that had just entered the room looked at each other before Twilight rolled her eyes with a sigh and moved to stop what she hoped was just a prank in progress.

^^^^^^^^^^

Rarity glared at her friend as she was reminded of this, while the cyan mare tried to sink beneath the water to escape the gaze of the other princesses. Cadance looked at the shrinking mare after hearing the story of how Rainbow Dash's first experience went.

“That is a new one for me to hear about. Twins? Sure. Changelings? Probably should plan for it. But what is essentially yourself? Hmm, two Shiny Hinies.” The others expected her to continue speaking, but when she started drooling they realized that they had lost her to her fantasies for the moment. Luna looked up from where she was currently dunking her sister underneath the mud.

“So would this be why Twilight Sparkle has been looking so annoyed since you all have arrived here? I would have thought she would have been more cheerful after her demonstration of those fantastic mirrors she had sent both here and to Canterlot.” Luna was yet again pulled back into the tussle with her sister as the others thought back to the mentioned mirrors. While they weren't fully working how the mare had wanted, it had been enough to at least provide a new means of travel for the gathered princesses with two mirrors at each palace connecting to the other two.

“Well, for now only alicorns can use them so she isn't done with them yet. The plan was to allow any pony to be able to use them to travel between cities. Though as for what she is mad about, well it could be about a few things.” Aegis Flare flipped through another page as Pinkie Pie took up the line of conversation while building a castle out of the mud.

“You mean how you and Rarity ignored her and began hiring new guards for Ponyville? Or how you wouldn't let her read that book of yours? Or maybe how you brought the sirens back from the world Sunset is on? How about how you never graduated from school? Maybe it's because you still haven't promised not to use the portal without her permission?” Eyes turned to the pink pony for a moment before turning away once again as they tried to ignore the impossible thing she was doing with the mud. Celestia, who currently had Luna in a headlock as she rubbed her hoof through her hair, froze as her mind registered the words that were spoken.

“Wait, what!? The sirens are back!? And you just let them go!?” The eldest princess began to rise from the mud, leaving her sister to sulk behind her. Aegis Flare just snorted in response to her panic.

“As if I would do something like that. I saw a way to establish contact with the sea ponies once again and I took it, and my mom agrees. She even personally took over their training.”

vvvvvvvvvv

“I really, really, hate you.” Adagio moaned as she passed Bella Donna and her older daughter as she began yet another lap around the Ponyville Lake. Aria wasn't far behind her, though was breathing nowhere near as hard even after having lapped her three already and was about to finish.

“Aww, stow it Adagio. If you spent less time complaining and more time running you would almost be done. Now hurry up and finish so you can join Sonata in relaxing in the water until lunch.” The pegasus pointed a wing at the third sister in the nearby lake who had shed her earth pony form and was splashing around in her siren form, playing with some of the local foals. The unicorn only grunted in response as she sped up her pace, leaving the three behind.

“At least two of you know how to pace yourself. This is just a warmup for the real workout later. I'm curious to see just how much you sirens can pull off of the standard training. Though, I'm not sure what to think of Miss Record-breaker over there, yet.” The three looked over at the blue siren as she swam in circles with a filly on her back, sometimes jumping high into the air. Out of the three sisters, Sonata had gotten along the most with the ponies of Ponyville.

“Well, I'm surprised at how well she is doing. After all those years in a different body, I would have expected you all to take at least a month to get this far. I guess I didn't need to ask Spike to bring your lunch over early as motivation.” Aegis Flare pointed towards the approaching dragon who was pushing a cart full of tacos ahead of him while accompanied by the Cutie Mark Crusaders as well as the local unicorn filly of the Apple family. As she said this a cry of joy rang out from the lake before a blue blur shot past her, sending her spinning. Aria could only sigh and shake her head at the antics of her youngest sister.

^^^^^^^^^^

Despite the panic that she went through on hearing about the Dazzlings, Celestia quickly calmed down when she heard that Bella Donna was involved. In fact, she actually seemed to be a bit scared, which wasn't missed by her sister.

“Oh? Is something the matter sister? You were in such a hurry to go after them before you heard their story.” The eldest alicorn's eyes shifted from side to side but refrained from answering. The bat-winged mare rolled her eyes at the reaction and remembered a story from her younger days.

“She's scared of my mom a bit. Oh, she respects her plenty, but there was one incident that my dad told me about.” Celestia glared at her from the mud bath but was ignored by the mare.

“Imagine this. The most perfect and delicious looking cake you have ever seen, with the juiciest strawberries you have ever seen and covered with a rich frosting. The problem is, my mother cooked it so it is completely inedible and lethally toxic. If she wasn't an alicorn she would have died instead of being sick for an entire week. That would have been the end of it, but she decided to go back for leftovers. My mom still can't understand why we don't want her cooking and keeps wanting to bake her another one.” Luna could only shake her head while her sister turned her head away in embarrassment, while Pinkie let out a gasp of horror at the thought of an uneatable cake.

“Still, she was only slightly annoyed about that since she really had no plans for them at all. Twilight was really angry about being overridden over if we would have guards around the new castle or not. Rarity and I have decided on less conventional guards though.” Twilight glanced up with a raised eyebrow as this was the first she was hearing about this from them.

vvvvvvvvvv

“So why is it that you want to join the new Guard branch?” Aegis Flare looked over the documents she was examining at the mare across the table from her. Along with Rarity, the two looked over the twitchy pegasus with her blood-red coat, platinum gray mane and tail, and a cutie mark of a knife stabbing into a hunk of meat. Red eyes stared back at the two while the mare fiddled with a knife in one hoof, carving random designs into a piece of wood, many that looked rather disturbing.

“Well, I just love cutting things, I mean that's what my cutie mark is all about, right? And when I saw that you were hiring for a new guard I thought to myself, 'Hey, the guards carry spears, I bet they use them all the time,' so here I am.” The two princesses glance at each other for a moment before the interviewed mare's documents are set down.

“Um, right, well I can see that you are well skilled at what you do, but you are just not...” Rarity's refusal speech was interrupted by the other alicorn as her hoof came up in front of her mouth causing her to pause and look over with a raised eyebrow. Aegis Flare looked thoughtful as she looked over the mare more closely as she seemed to wilt at Rarity's words as if hearing them before. An idea started to form in the back of her mind as she cleared her throat.

“You say that you are good at cutting things, right?” The mare's ears which were starting to droop froze as she slowly looked up and nodded.

“Does it matter what it is you are cutting?” Once again the mare slowly replied, this type shaking her head.

“If we accept you, will you only cut what we say, when we say it, at the risk of never being allowed to use your talent ever again?” The mare's eyes slowly widened at each qualifier and she was nodding rapidly by the end of it all. Taking on final look at the documents on the table she slowly slid them to the side and pointed to one of the two doors behind the alicorns.

“Take the door on the left. Follow the hall until you get to the next room and wait for further instructions.” With a squeal of excitement the mare bounced out of her seat and took off through the door. Rarity warily watched her go and turned to her fellow princess once the door had closed.

“What was all that!? She is obviously not fit for this job and is a clear danger to others around her.” She held up the piece of wood that the mare had left and pointed to the headless body that was carved into it. The other mare shrugged as she shuffled through the application of the mare, named Mined Meat strangely enough, before filling in some key information.

“Call it a hunch, but I'm betting she has been rejected quite often already. She was reacting to your words as if she had already heard them before. Besides, if she really is a threat like you say then it would be best to keep her close so we can keep an eye on her. I'm sure that her new trainer can handle anything she can throw at him.” Passing over the documents Aegis Flare showed Rarity the name of the new recruit's trainer causing her to raise an eyebrow before sighing with a shake of her head.

-------

“I want to be a marine! YEAH!”

“Sure you do. Door on the right please.”

-------

“...and I could really use this job, I'll do anything. Nopony else will even hire me after what happened with my last job.” Sour Sweet meekly kept her head down as she went through her interview. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she was examined by the two princesses across from her. The unicorn mare refrained from running a hoof through her yellow coat or pink and teal mane, trying to appear calm for them.

“And just what is it that happened at your last job? I'm afraid that it doesn't say anything on any of your documents about an incident.” Rarity flipped through the pages looking for anything she had missed while the mare looked on nervously. When it looked as if nothing would dissuade them from this line of questioning the mare sighed and looked down sadly.

“Well, you see, it was totally an accident but THE BASTARD HAD IT COMING WHEN HE GRABBED MY FLANK SO I KICKED HIS THROUGH THE WALL and, and... Oh my, I am so sorry that happened again. I just can't control her sometimes and...” She was cut off as the orange princess raised a hoof and looked over at Rarity before nodding. Rarity just sighed and shook her head in resignation as she had noticed a trend where if any pony seemed to be a misfit of some sort and Aegis Flare took interest she usually had some plan for them. While the switch from a calm and peaceful voice flipping to one that was loud and aggressive was jarring, she couldn't see any other reason to deny her.

“Please take the left door and follow it to the end where you will receive further instructions.” The unicorn looked crestfallen at this, not knowing yet that she had been accepted, but nodded as she made her way through the door. Once she was out of hearing the princess turned to her counterpart.

“Well, what is it that you have planned for this one then?” The orange princess marked down a few things on the paperwork before smirking.

“I'm thinking either a trainer or head maid for the castle. Possibly both. I'll have to check if she just can't control herself or if she has a second personality, but either will give her an outlet for those urges. Still need someone to cover the butler side of things though.” Rarity could only shake her head at this, though they had agreed that they each would be able to veto the other if they saw something they thought was important. She had only done so once herself, but that was to absolutely deny one that had felt wrong to her, most likely prompted by her Element as she couldn't think of any other reason. As for her fellow princess, she hadn't denied any of the interviewees yet, but those she accepted tended to be oddballs in some way and she always had a plan ready when confronted about it. She just hoped that none of them turned out to be a mistake.

-------

'''So do you think I could be somewhere where I don't have to worry about fighting or anything?”

“We'll see, right door please.”

-------

“...So yeah, I have three black belts, graduated from Celly's old school, and have degrees in music and administrative science. Nothing really clicked with me though and when I saw the flier for the job here, I thought, 'Hey, why not?' so here I am.” The princesses could only stare at the mare across from them, not because of her resume, but because of how casual she was treating everything as she leaned back in her chair with her rear hooves up on the table. While the green-maned, amaranth mare seemed to be a perfect fit for their new guard, her attitude was a potential problem and she might even be overqualified. The two were unsure for a moment as to what to do with her, but Rarity slowly began to smile as something came to her.

“Well Lemon Zest, while your experience will be very useful for our guard I hope you are ready for things to be a bit different from what you are expecting. Please take the door on the left and wait for further instructions down the hall.” The mare's head tilted to the side in confusion as she looked at the two while Aegis Flare shot her friend a glance.

“What? That's it? Just go through a door? Come on! Don't you have something cooler? Like a trapdoor or catapult? You have a big button right there in the middle of the table, why have it there if you aren't going to use it?” The princesses were confused for a moment before they looked down to see that, yes, there was a button on the table. Out of curiosity Rarity reach over to give it a tap, only to have the mare across from them disappear from view as she slid down a hidden chute with a shout of glee.

“I did not know we even had that here. How did we miss that when we came in here?” The other princess only shook her head, wondering the exact same thing.

^^^^^^^

“...and those are only some of the more memorable interviews.” The room full of alicorns just stared at the bat-winged mare as she finished her story.

“You have trapdoors in your palace? Tia, why do we not have those in Canterlot?” The eldest alicorn could only shake her head at her sister's question, while the pinkest pony present presumed to pop off.

“Why would you? It's not like your place has this weird ability that allows it to change and add more neato things as they are needed or reshape itself to ignore the laws of time and space... Huh, kind of like that one place Flarey found in that one Daring Do book.” The red-maned mare shivered at the reminder before looking up from her paperwork to glare at the playful pink pony.

“Thank you, Pinkie. I was trying my best to forget about that place. Remind me to prank you later now.” Rainbow Dash's ears shot up at this while her head whipped around to look at the glaring mare.

“Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not be too hasty here, no need to go that far over something like this.” The others were surprised by her reaction as she would usually be all in for a prank, especially on her fellow prankster. Looking around at her fellow princesses' faces and their confusion, the cyan mare could only let out a sigh.

“Look, I'm all for a good prank, but I only did one small prank on her and she went overboard on her revenge prank...”

“You destroyed much of that previous week's work that I did and lost me a few clients at the time.”

“...I still don't even know how she even got up to my home while I was asleep...”

“Not that hard to get certain coworkers in on it if you spin it to them in the right way.”

“...but waking up with the plant all cocooned all over me when I woke up, and I mean everywhere, was completely terrifying.”

“It was a completely harmless plant. In fact, it's one of the few plants that has near animal level intelligence that isn't dangerous. It seeks out sources of heat and cuddles around it while being able to survive in extremely cold conditions. I found it on accident and Daisy and her sisters are working to breed more.” Rainbow Dash just glared at the mare as the others bounced back and force between the two. They weren't sure what to think about what had happened, though some thoughts were going through the minds of a couple of them.

“Do you think I could get one of those plants?” All heads turned to look at the princess of love after she asked the question. Seeing how her wings fluttered at her sides, they decided not to question it, while also ignoring the same motions from Fluttershy. With that distraction, Aegis Flare moved the conversation back to the original topic as Twilight didn't react much to the previous topic.

“Anyways, while the interviews were done as if we were hiring for guards, they won't be as obvious as they are in Canterlot. Every guard will have a custom outfit that Rarity planned to design to fit in with the job they will be doing actual work in until needed. Chefs, maids, butlers, even our advisers will each have some level of training to act as guards. And since they aren't obviously guards they will largely be ignored, making them more approachable than normal guards which was the basis of Twilight's complaint about us having guards around Ponyville.” Twilight's eyebrow rose at this before she turned her head away from the mare. Seeing as she didn't acknowledge this as the problem the bat-winged mare continued on.

“As for the portal, that is being worked on with Sunset, since she's the one over there we are letting her set up a plan for it. As for not graduating? Well, it's not like everyone has the same opportunity to do so or even has a chance to. Not everyone has a chance to go to a college or university.” She looked across the hot tub at a pony across from her. The problem is a certain pony was in the path of her gaze that she didn't intend.

“Hey! I thought you said you wouldn't say anything about that!?” Rainbow Dash's wings mantled out behind her as she objected to the mare's words. Blinking, she looked down a couple of inches and saw that she maw have made a small error.

“What? I was talking about Pinkie over there.” The cyan mare blinked in confusion for a moment before she slowly sank down into the water slowly, Applejack's eye on her questioningly. The others looked over at Pinkie in confusion as she pretended to be a monster terrorizing the castle she had built in the mud pool. Turning back to the orange princess many eyebrows rose, asking if she was sure of her claim. With a sigh, she used a surefire technique in getting the pink party princess to focus.

“Pi is exactly three point one four!” Both Twilight and Pinkie froze up at this proclamation, though while the former was taking in a breath the latter burst out in outrage, surprising the other princesses.

“What!? How can you say that!? Pi is much more than that! It's at least threepointonefourfineninetwosixfivethreefiveeightninesevenninethree two three, eight, four, six... Umm...” Pinkie slowed to a stop before looking around to see the other princesses staring at her in shock. Thinking fast she could only think of one response to distract them.

“Mud Fight!” With a flick of her wing, she sent a shower of mud at all the other princesses. Yet she wasn't ready for it all to immediately come flying back at her as the wave of mud hit a barrier, causing her to bury herself with her own attack. As the fiery glow that had popped up around her slowly faded, Aegis Flare smirked as she powered down her horn and went back to her paperwork.

“As I said, not everyone is lucky enough to go to a college or university, not like they are all that important for everything. Sure they are useful for some things like Twilight's magical studies, or Pinkie's mechanical knowledge, but they would have been mostly worthless when it comes to things like exploring the Everfree. Tartarus, even finding out that Pinkie had the equivalent of four degrees wouldn't have been possible with a normal education, what with her having taken classes in just about every school that offers any sort of class that helped her build all those mechanical marvels of hers. Also, I think that also covers the pranking.” The perturbed pink pony pouted from her pacified position. Rarity chuckled at the antics of the two while looking towards the friend she had known longer.

“You know darling, it is such a pleasure to see you able to act in such a carefree manner again. Ever since your parents disappeared you became really withdrawn, only opening up for your sister. Seeing you opening up again now that your mother has returned? Seeing you be able to express yourself and have fun again? It is like a miracle to be able to see you open up so much.” Aegis Flare just raised the documents she was reading to cover her face in response to Rarity's words, but it failed to hide the fact that her ears were reddening as the others chuckled at her embarrassment. Rainbow Dash especially as it distracted the others from her earlier outburst, though Applejack made a note to confront her about it later.

“Anyways, unless it has to do with a highly technical field, I've found that most schools are worthless when compared to actual hooves-on experience. Even more so as the books used at most of them are horribly inaccurate.” Twilight's eye twitched at this claim but was stopped from interjecting by a wing brushing her side. Looking over she saw Celestia looking concerned with a frown on her face.

“Do you have any evidence of that claim? The EEA checks over all of the books that are used in my school and if something inappropriate is getting through...” The eldest princess left the threat hanging as the others looked at her with worry. Glancing up over the papers, the orange princess sighed.

“The EEA is probably the biggest problem when it comes to education, and I found that out through both research and personal experience. If you don't fit their narrow categories they ignore you or plagiarize you. That trick I used is the perfect example. Hey Twilight, how many digits of pi are known right now?” The purple princess perked up a bit as she moved into lecture mode, but paused for a moment when she saw the other rolling their eyes at her before she decided to just answer.

“Well, last I checked it was somewhere around seventy thousand. I haven't checked in a while so that number probably has gone up a bit.” At her words, a snort of disgust was heard from the mud pool and eyes turned towards Pinkie Pie who was looking away from them all. Twilight looked confused about this response, but it quickly turned to shock at the next words uttered.

“And just how many has your family, the ones that actually originated the idea, gotten up to so far Pinkie?” Her question was greeted with silence at first, though soon the mare answered quietly, not happy at having her secret revealed.

“Three million, one hundred forty-one thousand, five hundred ninety-two.” Twilight's jaw dropped at this claim while the three eldest princesses all frowned, each not liking the thought of something like this happening. Something that the mare said though tickled at her mind as Cadance spoke up.

“You said that you had personal experience with the EEA as well. What was it that they did to you?” The room went silent with this question and all eyes focused on the mare, waiting for her answer. Seeing this, she could only roll her eyes as she continued reading.

“Well, that brings up what is probably the reason why Twilight has been so annoyed today since it wasn't anything else. I wrote a book.” Twilight growled at the mention of this, telling the others that this really was the actual cause of her attitude. It still didn't fully explain all of the story though and the orange mare just sighed.

“Well, you remember how I reacted after Discord broke out the first time?” Her friends nodded as they thought back to how they had found her in her basement after Twilight's own episode that time.

“I'm pretty sure I mentioned it, but that wasn't the first time I did that. Back when I was on that Adventure with Daring Do the same thing happened afterwards. But that time there wasn't anyone around to stop me until I eventually collapsed from exhaustion. That was how Daring Do found me not long after and, after helping me recover, she convinced me to publish all my research into a book. With her help, I managed to get it all organized and brought it up to the EEA as a potential educational resource, but they denied it. I was told that because I had no 'official' education and wasn't 'properly' trained in magic that anything I wrote was worthless.” She snorted as the other princesses' jaws dropped in horror, aghast at such blatant disregard from the educational body.

“Things would have turned out differently, but Daring helped out and I had a bit of revenge on them thanks to one of their own laws. After she got it published by another group using her MEELs connections it solidified me as the only living expert on the subject. I am currently the only author of a book exploring all that is currently known regarding anything related to time magic and time travel. Because of that, any time someone wants to publish a book or research paper regarding the subject it has to go through me first for review and approval. You wouldn't believe how many poorly written papers I've gone through, or how many blatant attempts at stealing my work have come through me. But because they had the support of certain unicorn nobles nothing was really done about the attempts.” Both Luna and Celestia looked angry as the story continued on, and vowed to look into just what was going on with the elder's school. Twilight though, just huffed and looked away with her forelegs crossed.

“You still wouldn't let me read it.” Much shaking of heads was what greeted the pouting mare while one mare just raised an eyebrow at her.

“Oh? Did you want to read it? You know you could have just asked instead of trying to break into my room in the middle of the night. I would have thought that you would have learned from what Rainbow did in the hospital that one time. Instead, you spent all night trying to unravel the spells on my room.” Twilight's jaw dropped on hearing she just had to ask before she blushed at being caught out repeating the same mistake she admonished the cyan mare for. Celestia just shook her head though she was curious about one thing.

“What did you mean by protections on your room? Is there a reason that you needed to put up a shield over it while you sleep?” The seven ponies that are now living in the new castle look at each other for a moment before their eyes settled on Twilight once more. With a sigh as she shook off her embarrassment, she gave a serious look at the eldest alicorn.

“That... is a bit of a long story. I think we may need to get some refreshments before I explain it all though.” Celestia tilted her head curiously for a moment before looking at the resident princess. Cadance just nodded before ringing a bell to call in a servant to fetch drinks and snacks as they all settled in for a long lecture.

Author's Note:

This took much longer than I had planned. Just haven't felt motivated to write. Split this up into multiple chapters so I have at least something out for now. Next chapter will be on the state of the castle and Ponyville, and the third will be on those mysterious papers and any other issues, including a bit more on the portal.

Comments ( 27 )

It's good to see a update for this story! It's been like, how long since the last update now? Just happy to see a update.

Yay! So glad to see you back in action!

it's back, with fun stories~

glad to see your back

IT LIVES

If the main OCs in this story were voiced, what would they sound like?

“Imagine this. The most perfect and delicious looking cake you have ever seen, with the juiciest strawberries you have ever seen and covered with a rich frosting. The problem is, my mother cooked it so it is completely inedible and lethally toxic. If she wasn't an alicorn she would have died instead of being sick for an entire week. That would have been the end of it, but she decided to go back for leftovers. My mom still can't understand why we don't want her cooking and keeps wanting to bake her another one.” Luna could only shake her head while her sister turned her head away in embarrassment, while Pinkie let out a gasp of horror at the thought of an uneatable cake.

Reminds me The f chocolate suicide cake. I might or might not have mentioned that before, but it was a chocolate cake with chocolate icing, chocolate ganache, chocolate bars in the layers and was about 8 inches tall! I took a bite out of one slice and nearly fell asleep!

The group watched the two elder princes wrestle in the mud for a moment longer before looking back again, waiting for an answer.

There is probably a lot of ponies that would pay quite the sum to see that :trollestia:

Aegis Flare flipped through another page as Pinkie Pie took up the line of conversation while building a castle out of the mud.

Because of course she is :trollestia:

Both Luna and Celestia looked angry as the story continued on, and vowed to look into just what was going on with the elder's school.

Don't forget to look into the EEA :trixieshiftleft:

WOW a wild chapter appears.... :pinkiegasp:
Story used surprise chapter........ :pinkiecrazy:
It was supper effective ......:fluttershyouch:
Fimfiction User uses Voracious Reader....:twilightsmile:
It was supper effective......:pinkiegasp:
FimFiction user Throws Comment Ball....:rainbowdetermined2:
wobble wobble wobble :heart:
Story was successfully read :yay:
Finale Fantasy VII Victory Fanfare Plays:pinkiehappy:
Fimfiction user looks around confused at the random music that played:derpyderp1:

This popped in to my head when I saw the new chapter, I had too do it. Woot new chapter glad to see you are still with us have a :moustache:

PS: Formatting and creating this little skit was fun and brought to you by the the number Q :trollestia:

PPS: Giggle, let me know what you think of my little skit I am curious to see what people think :yay:

“Three thousand, one hundred forty-one thousand, five hundred ninety-two.”

I think you mean Three MILLION.

10801053
:pinkiegasp: FUN!!!!!!!!!!
:pinkiecrazy: FUNFUNFUNFUNFUNFUN:pinkiecrazy:

It’s been too long. Sorry to hear about your writing block. Welcome back.

As always a gripping and enthralling chapter. So much humour. So much hidden meaning. So much hinted subtext.

Sounds like you have a plan for going forward. Don’t hurry on our account, the quality of writing is worth the wait.

-----------------------------

10800787
Most amusing.

-----------------------------

“What did you mean by protections on your room? Is there a reason that you needed to put up a shield over it while you sleep?” The seven ponies that are now living in the new castle look at each other for a moment before their eyes settled on Twilight once more. With a sigh as she shook off her embarrassment, she gave a serious look at the eldest alicorn.

I have the strangest feeling that if this is not about Starlight currently trying to break into the castle then it will tie into her Element's anchored time manipulation attempt (using the Elements of Harmony's power to fuel the spell and hold off any paradoxes using the table as a medium, hence why the table remained in the altered futures Twilight was flung to despite having no reason to exist in those timelins.)

Speaking of the Celestia's school's accademic reluctance to acknowledge non affilated sources I wonder if they had any hand in shaping Starlight. Maybe something along the lines of barring her entry from her friend Starburst, forcing a talented researcher to develop an (almost) working method to her fringe beliefs of misguided equality. (putting down thoses with talent as oppossed to raising up others in differnet but no less significant ways to the same level.)

-----------------------------

“Hey, I didn't see you helping pull a giant block of ice away from the city so it didn't squash anypony. That thing was seriously heavy even with all the pegasii in the stadium helping.

Is this from cannon somewhere? I can't remember any falling ice. Or is it an original Noodle incident?

I like twilight finally getting a message through her head about something she should have learned already. Manners are one of the earliest things we learn and yet she thinks breaking into a friend's room is a good idea. Good Manners would say ask if you can borrow it and do your best to return as you got it.

10805983
Not really, since I wrote "Thé nobels are so screwed, not only because of Flare and Bella Donna, but also because of the seven other princesses (yes counting Luna) that they don't know how to work around or how much they are willing to forgive them for :pinkiecrazy:"

I first mentioned Flare and then went on to write "the seven other princesses".

So I'm essentially writing "Flare and the seven other princesses"

10806233
That makes a flare and 8 because it the main 7 plus 2 others. Hopefully though now Celestia will stop playing nicely with the nobles and if she needs an idea on how to play dirty well there are plenty of people who will give her advice. Although that cake story was weird. Who eats a poison cake and wants more?

I so want to see the part they rescue the pillars from limbo and what Flare will do to Starswirl

10811310
Plus I like to what anyone besides twilight was thinking with that cutie mark spell. Considering it almost got 2 ponies killed another pony hurt and the rest out of business.

I want Twi/Flare romance yes yes? squeak!

when are you going to finish? This is really good.

10863156
I think Celestia is used to playing grand Chessmaster with everyone not really thinking that they are people who would do what she asked if she just asked instead of playing games. She probably started a long time ago to deal with enemies and got stuck in the habit.

Is the next update almost ready by now?

This took three days to binge read... I still love it though. I can't wait to see what happens next!:pinkiehappy:

I hope someday this will be finished.

Sadly this a very slow updating story but a good story nonetheless

Is it bad I can see the story drive being a thing that could happen in this story?
(The story drive has been cancelled since 2013 it was just something that I realized might be a possibility because if flare has the chance to be from the human world this would be kinda like that for warning if you want to read it there are only 3 chapters and the author has been offline since 2013 same time it was cancelled)

What is the likelihood of the story continuing?:rainbowhuh:

Login or register to comment