• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 10,109 Views, 910 Comments

Seven Lights - Fresnor



The multiverse is just one grand experiment for many immortals as they try to explore its secrets. This is the story of one such experiment on what would happen if a new element was added to a universe that nearly exactly parallels the original.

  • ...
25
 910
 10,109

61

Aegis Flare let out a yawn as she sat with a gathering of all the princess' of Equestria just outside of Ponyville. They day had finally arrived for the competition between the Ponyville weather team and the Wonderbolts. While the others were bright eyed and ready for the event, she was just waking up as she had returned late the previous night.

“Hey? You going to be okay over there? You look like you got ran over by a thunderhead.” The orange mare blinked as she looked over at Rainbow Dash before letting out another yawn.

“Yeah, just got back late from Manehattan with my family.” The prismatic mare smirked at her friend before deciding to push her.

“Oh? So you are finally learning how to have fun? It's about time.” The bat-winged mare responded with a roll of her eyes before arching her back in a stretch.

“Haha, very funny. Besides, there were a few... issues while we were there.” She thought back to the fair, remembering how she had gotten banned from them after accidentally destroying a few of them. Such as sending the bell of the bucking post flying or causing the ball toss stand to collapse after taking out the main support pole along with all the bottles.

“Yeah, well hopefully there aren't any of those here, especially with who you got to help out. Hey, Twilight! Are you sure that none of them will be able to see us out here?” Rainbow Dash turned towards Twilight, while keeping an eye on one of the two non-alicorns that were with them and not with the crowd of townsponies that came to watch the show.

“Of course. It was only a matter of expanding the natural aura all alicorns have that causes them to be unnoticed when they try not to draw attention to themselves and strengthen it. As long as nothing is done to attract anypony's attention to us it should easily hold, even with ten alicorns here.” She shot a glance at the pony that her friend was keeping an eye on, though she wasn't as sneaky as she thought she was.

“What? Why are you looking at Trixie like that?” The blue unicorn shot an offended look at the purple alicorn who just rolled her eyes. While the mare had been trying to put up a brave front and play herself up to the others, most of them could see how nervous she was being around so much royalty. The other non-alicorn chuckled at the mare's defensiveness, earning a glare from her.

“I would think that it would be reasonable to worry about you. I mean who was it again that decided to start adding pyrotechnics to an active flight show a year or so back without talking with anypony about it beforehoof?” Spitfire glared at the unicorn as she remembered how close some of her team had come to being injured that day because of her. She looked over at the princess' with a frown.

“What is she doing here anyways? I thought that we were here to watch the competition between your team and mine? Why would we need somepony like her here?” Trixie turned her glare on the pegasus, but before she could voice her annoyances she was interrupted by the on who called her in.

“Actually her habit of causing a scene is exactly why she's here, but instead of focusing on herself it needs to be directed on the real goal of the upcoming test.” The rest looked over at Aegis Flare curiously as she had yet to tell them exactly what to expect, except for Trixie who was looking down at her hooves.

“Trixie will admit that she has gone a bit... overboard in the past. But Trixie has improved over t he years and even now her powers of illusion are unmatched!” Most of the gathered ponies rolled their eyes at Trixie, though the bat-winged mare just shrugged.

“You aren't bad, but you still have a long way to go until you're the best at it. I've read about illusionists the could make illusions so real that you could feel, smell, and even taste them. Last I heard, you only could get the sight and sound part of it fully working while the scent was incomplete.” Trixie looked away instead of answering which was an answer in itself, coming from her. “At least I have an idea to deal with the touch part, so you don't have to worry about that.”

The orange mare pulled Trixie off to the side to discuss just what needed to be done, leaving the others to wait for the participants to arrive. Soon enough the weather team for Ponyville had gathered and were warming up while a wing of two dozen Wonderbolts were visible winging their way in. Soon the two groups were examining the prepared obstacle courses while the two leaders of the the teams landed in a prepared area in front of the princesses, though one of them wasn't who they were expecting.

“What is he doing here? I thought that you said that Soarin or Fleetfoot were going to be in charge while you were with us?” Spitfire frowned as Rainbow Dash pointed out the major problem that she was looking at which was the form of Wind Rider as he stood next to Thunderlane.

“He's not. In fact I told Fleetfoot to do whatever she could to keep him busy and away from here.” While Spitfire was frowning at his presence, the stallion in question was looking around in annoyance, looking for someone while muttering to himself a bit away from the other stallion.

“Now where is that feather-headed excuse for a captain? I was told she was supposed to be here along with the bat-winged freak and sorry excuse for a princess.” Unfortunately for him, while he was far enough away from Thunderlane for him not to hear, the princesses and Wonderbolt Captain had a front seat show.

“Why that slimy little...” Rainbow Dash growled at the stallion and would have tackled him if not for Applejack holding her back.

“Simmer down there Dash. We'll handle him later, but for now let see just what is going on.” The cyan mare glared at the stallion as he walked away before she grunted and plopped her rear back onto the cushion she had been using as a seat. During this Wind Rider had walked back over to Thunderlane and began speaking with him, the stallion have a look as if he had eaten a lemon plastered on his face. While most of the princesses couldn't hear what was being discussed by the two, Fluttershy and Aegis Flare's superior hearing could easily make it out what the two were saying and they were not happy about it.

“Oh my...” The others looked at the buttery alicorn curiously, but after looking towards her cousin who shook her head she said nothing as they soon returned to watching the preparations. Soon the two teams were ready and squaring off at the first event, and Rainbow Dash groaned at who she was seeing.

“Seriously? Derpy of all ponies? Sure she isn't a bad pony, but for an important event that involves precision flying?” The others look closely at the first flier as she moves to the starting line, crashing through a cloud on the way, and realize she is right. Celestia, recognizing the figure, chuckles as the gray mare rubs at the back of her head bashfully.

“I did not realize that she was also part of the Ponyville Weather team. But I suppose a member of the Royal Canterlot Mail Pegasi brigade would need something to do when they are not handling sensitive messages or handling other missions.” Rainbow Dash looked confused at the information though both Twilight and Aegis Flare, having heard from where she was over talking with Trixie, looked impressed as they looked at who they thought was just an average mailmare for the town.

“Um, what's so special about this Royal Canterlot Mail Pegasi group? I've never heard of them before.” Both of the two newer princesses that knew of the group looked at the rainbow mare with jaws wide open before they shook their heads in disbelief.

“How could you have never heard about them before!? They contain the best fliers in all of Equestria, many of them as good as or even better than the Wonderbolts!” Rainbow Dash lifted an eyebrow in disbelief at hearing that they may be better than the Wonderbolts while the bat-winged mare rejoined the group with the magician.

“Actually there are many members that were once Wonderbolt prospects that didn't make it in for various reasons. Those reasons are also why there is a lot of bad blood between the two groups.” Aegis Flare glared at Wind Rider before running a hoof over her bags that were next to her cushion. Rainbow Dash just shrugged as she turned back to the watch Derpy as she finished the course by crashing into the finish line. The two groups went through course after course, and the entire time Rainbow Dash started to get more and more agitated.

“What the buck is going on up there?! Is Thunderlane even trying?! Why is he sending the worst ponies to handle each obstacle? Ponyville should be way ahead of the Wonderbolts by now, especially since they keep sending the same pony first on every event!” Spitfire frowns as she glares at the stallion that had taken charge of her team, especially as she had her eye on the pony being sent out as a promising Wonderbolt candidate since losing both Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust. Aegis Flare turned towards Trixie and gave her a small nod as she smirked.

“This should be enough time for them to warm up. I think it's time for the real test to begin.” The showmare returned the smirk as she lit up her horn, followed closely by the dark orange alicorn's. Soon the lake, under which the competition was taking place, started to roil and churn as something formed under it. The two eldest alicorns looked on in interest as they had heard a little about the unicorn mare from Twilight and this would be the first time seeing it in person. The others were only mildly interested as they were still mostly unsure of the mare, except for Cadance who was unfamiliar with her and also wasn't as familiar with magic as her aunts due to her originally being a pegasus before ascending.

“Behold! From the depths of the Hayseed Swamps, I present to you! The Emperor Kappa!” Trixie reared back onto her hind legs to pose as a giant form erupted from the lake. Breaking through the surface was a large, green turtle-like being that stood on it's hind legs before letting out a cry from its beaked maw. The alicorns weren't sure just what a kappa sounded like, but the cry sounded like a mixture between a bird and a hydra. The spectators around the lake froze up at the cry and slowly turned towards it as they had not seen it arise from the lake and by the time they saw it was standing above them.

“THE HORROR! THE HORROR!” Trixie's eye twitched as she looked at the three mares and had the illusion reach down and grab the magenta one with lime green mane who was wearing a yellow dress much like one a story tale princess would wear. The two around her, wearing red and green overalls, fainted as their friend was lifted away in the monster's grasp.

“Trixie? How did you manage to grab Daisy like that with an illusion that you said you couldn't make do that? Better yet, why did you even have it grab her in the first place?” Twilight glanced over at Trixie as she bit her lip and lowered herself back onto all fours again.

“Trixie... is not sure why she grabbed that mare. Something about her just called out to Trixie to do so. Luna smirked and jabbed at her sister with a hoof.

“Hah! I told you that those dresses were evil! Not only do they attract brigands they also suppress any ability to fight back!” The mares blinked at the night princess while Celestia sighs and shakes her head.

“Whatever you say, though I still doubt that they had anything to do with that incident with Princess Platinum and the bandit lords. I still allowed you to ban royalty from wearing anything of the sort when power was passed over to us.” The conversation drew some inquiring stares which turned away as the blue unicorn continued speaking once again.

“As for how she could do so...” The showmare trailed off leaving the others watching her, waiting for an answer, until the other mare with a lit horn spoke up.

“That would be my doing. I'm covering her illusion with a shield that follows its motions and allows it to interacts with things. Just to be safe the shield also has limits on it so nobody is hurt too badly if the get hit.” The others nod before turning back to the show as the ponies above begin to react to the situation.

“Cloudchaser! Flitter! Find Fluttershy and bring her back here! Hopefully she can calm that thing down! Thunderlane! Take a wing and clear out the rest of the ponies in the area! The rest of you...” Cloud Kicker paused as a wave of blurs dove past her, sending her out of control for a moment. Once she recovered she looked down and saw the Wonderbolts all charging right at the creature in a full frontal assault.

“Buck! Everypony else do what you can to cover those featherbrained fools! Blossomforth, on my six!” The weather ponies all nod to the second sub-captain of the team before breaking formation towards their assigned duties. Those supporting the Wonderbolts split up into teams of two to three as the spiraled along behind the stunt fliers, keeping a decent separation between each other.

The effectiveness of each team's strategy became apparent as the Emperor Kappa looked up at them before opening its mouth wide. Before the could react a large stream of water erupted from its mouth and plowed right through the center of the Wonderbolt formation, sending them into disarray as many of its members were sent flying. The Ponyville weather team moved to rescue those caught in the initial blast, while evading the watery torrent as they did so. While they managed to avoid any direct hits, a few of them were clipped, forcing them to retreat to recover. The Wonderbolts attempted to reform for a counter attack, but a cry rang out that froze the combatants in place, one which struck terror into the hearts of all the Ponyvillians present.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS, MONSTER HUNTERS! YAY!” The weather ponies all froze in place before they began to scramble around the sky, trying to stay out of the incoming path of destruction.

“CODE TRIO! CODE TRIO! Evasive actions and somepony get their sisters here, now!” Two pegasi darted away towards town, and the rest scattered just in time for a rock-like object to fly by the giant monster on a direct course for the remaining Wonderbolts. They managed to get out of the way, but they didn't notice the fuse attached to it until it was too late. With a loud boom, the ball exploded into a corona of color as more fireworks began flying out in all directions. Pegasi began trying to dodge around in panic to avoid being hit, though some still were struck by the explosions and sent tumbling out of the skies with others chasing after them to catch them. While they were all distracted by the initial attack, another volley came flying in from the direction the previous one had.

With the new angle of attack, even the Ponyville team was having trouble as some of them went spiraling out of control due to singed wings and temporary blindness from the colorful explosions. As all of this happened, none of them noticed the giant kappa fading away, leaving the mare in its grip unconscious on the ground. The group of alicorns could only watch with dropped jaws as the chaos unfolded before them. When a whimper sounded out next to them their gaze turned towards the showmare who was looking at the fireworks in shock, causing them to realize just where the fillies had found them.

“Don't worry, anything the they used or broke will be payed for.” Trixie's eye twitched at the words before she slowly nodded, though her eyes didn't leave the tableau before her. The other mares turned back to watch the scene before them. By this time the fillies came into view riding atop an odd contraption that looked to combine a catapult and multiple barrels which the loaded with fireworks as they fired off.

“Sooo, isn't anypony going to stop them? I think it's pretty obvious now just which is the better team. Where did those fillies even get that contraption and the idea to use it like this?” Pinkie Pie's eyes shifted around awkwardly but was saved from answering as another being appeared in the area.

“Oh hoho, what a marvelous performance. If I didn't know any better I would think those three were draconequui in disguise. A word or two to them about where to find everything and off they go. Why I barely even need to do anything around here with them around.” The mares turns to find Discord floating behind them with a large bag of popcorn watching the proceedings. The spirit of chaos looks down when he feels their gazes on him, but he starts to sweat when he notices one of them is missing. He is suddenly grabbed around the neck and brought down low to the ground as Aegis Flare grabs him in a light headlock.

“So you've been giving ideas to my sister again have you? Even after I told you to stay away from her and was nice enough to let it go the last time when they asked you to help them get their cutie marks and you nearly destroyed the town? Not to mention that little time travel debacle that happened not long after that.” The draconequus looked nervous as she spoke before he started to speak in a placating tone.

“Now now, there's no need to do anything rash. I mean I did stop them from trying to bungee jump over at Ghastly Gorge just now and I think this would be preferable to that. And look, here comes your mother now with those three, everything is fixed.” The orange alicorn looked up to see the his words were true, though what he failed to mention was the thick coat of tree sap the was covering her. Behind her were the three fillies that had interrupted their plans for that day, each of them with one of their ears glowing with the unicorn's magic as she dragged them towards the alicorns.

“Here, these are yours. Now if you'll excuse me I have a certain other troublemaker to deal with. Maybe he can tell me just how those three managed to somehow hit the only source of tree sap in the area right when I was walking by it.” She relinquished custody of the three fillies with their sisters as she stalked off towards Discord who was slowly backing away. The fillies winced as their sisters gave them a look indicating that they would talk to them later before turning to the approaching stallion that had now noticed them as the spell making them unnoticeable had fallen during the confusion.

“Ah, I didn't notice that your highnesses had arrived. It is such a shame that things were cut short due to the interference of that creature and these fillies, but the results of your tests are rather telling even if they weren't half done.” Spitfire glared at Wind Rider as he handed over a scroll detailing the results of each event. Aegis Flare smirked as she took the scroll and tosses it to the side.

“Unfortunately, none of that was the real test. The actual test was to see how each group would deal with an unexpected situation, which unfortunately the Wonderbolts failed completely at. Not only did they not evaluate the threat, they also charged in blindly from the front. If that had been a real monster then half of the Wonderbolts would likely be dead, crippled, or out of action for months.” The stallion's jaw dropped at hearing this before he started trying, and failing, to speak once again. He was cut off before he could form a coherent thought as the mare continued.

“Of course that can all wait until they recover from what happened. Now as for you, we have a lot to go over as some very serious matters have come up.” The stallion looks confused as the alicorn starts pulling out a variety of folders and scrolls before setting them in front of her. Soon the stack is half the height of her barrel as she lays there.

“What are you talking about? What is all of that for? I've done nothing wrong.” The stallion seemed confident, though there was a nearly imperceptive tremble in his voice. Most of the ponies present didn't notice it, but Applejack narrowed her eyes at him as she could tell that he was blatantly lying.

“Really? So these reports and statements about you blackmailing ponies are false? How about these showing you falsifying documents? Or how about all these statements from ponies who you have threatened and ruined the lives of over the years? It took a while, but Luna and the Black Guard managed to dig up a lot that you tried to have buried.” The stallion froze up in shock as she presented evidence after evidence of his wrong-doing. The other ponies could only stare in horror as she brought out documents for incident after incident, not expecting anything like this from such a decorated member of the Wonderbolts, former as he was. When the last one had been shown, both Rainbow Dash and Spitfire reached out and began to read through them themselves. The others weren't far behind while the stallion tried to defend himself to Celestia.

“I've been a loyal member of the Wonderbolts for years until my retirement. Who are you going to believe? Somepony that has been a part of an elite unit for years? Or some upstart with delusions of princesshood?” Only Luna could tell that her sister was starting to get annoyed with Wind Rider as she had many years of deciphering her sister's serene face for emotions. The younger princesses were not as skilled at hiding their emotions though, as proven by Rainbow Dash as she put down what she was reading and flared her wings in anger.

“Loyal? Loyal?! You have been anything but loyal for many years if I'm reading these right! You've betrayed the very principles of the Wonderbolts! You've betrayed your teammates! And you've betrayed all those that look up to you!” Wind Rider opened his mouth to respond, but was quickly cut off when Fluttershy spoke up, much to everyone's surprise.

“You were cruel to those that you should have supported, all just to benefit yourself.” Rarity stepped forward to stand opposite the shy mare with the stallion between them.

“You were ruled by your greed for fame, allowing it to destroy others just so your records couldn't be beaten.” Aegis Flare took her place next to the white mare next.

“You used fear and terror to dominate all those that couldn't fight back...” Pinkie Pie stepped forward next.

“...you robbed all these ponies of joy and their very dreams...” The farm mare princess was next to join the group around the stallion.

“...yah lied and cheated your way to stay on top...” Finally Twilight took her place leaving the confused and panicked pegasus surrounded by the seven princesses. With her in place the eyes of all seven began to glow with power as the final mare's voice began to vibrate the air around them all.

“...you've abused the sacred bonds between ponies for your own benefit for long enough! You stand here having been found to have violated everything that this country has been built on! So let the punishment fit the crime!” The alicorns slowly began to rise into the air around the stallion before the area was engulfed in a field of power, the scrolls and notes swirling around the group. The stallion could be heard yelling in panic from within.

“What are you doing to me! Let me go, LET ME GO!” The other three princesses watched wide-eyed at the tableau, until Cadance leaned over to the others.

“What is going on? This doesn't seem like them at all.” Luna and Celestia glanced over at the younger alicorn before looking at each other.

“I am not sure, but it reminds me of...” Luna trailed off as she sent a questioning look to her sister who nodded in reply.

“Yes, it seems that their alicorn powers are starting to develop in an interesting way. While alone they each have abilities relating to the Element of Harmony they possessed, together it seems that have abilities akin to what the Elements could do. I can not say just what they can do, but it appears that they must be more in sync with each other to activate it than before.” The three watched as the light faded away from the area, leaving everything seemingly unchanged. Soon the seven mares slowly collapsed to the ground, unconscious, as the power they used had drained them completely. The stallion looked around at the seven before patting at his own body before smirking as he found nothing wrong.

“Heh, is that all? I should have know that they would be all show and no substance.” His disregard for them angered the other three princesses, but the stallion was saved from their anger as a figure dropped from the sky between them.

“Princesses! Captain! I didn't notice that you arrived yet. I'm sorry to say that things got a bit... out of hoof so the competition may have to be delayed.” Soarin looks over at Wind Rider before tilting his head in curiosity. “Who's the strange stallion wearing a Wonderbolt jacket?” Jaws dropped at his question as Wind Rider began to look panicked.

“What are you talking about? Surely you can't have forgotten your old teacher Wind Rider?” The stallion tilted his head the other way before glancing towards Fleetfoot who just landed next to him.

“Never seen you before in my life. Hey Fleets, do you have any idea who this is?” The mare lieutenant of the Wonderbolts peered at him for a second before she shook her head, much to everyone's surprise. On a hunch, Spitfire looked around at the scattered papers before finding one she had been looking at which held the Wonderbolts records as well as the records of some dismissed hopefuls from the past. She quickly brought it over to her subordinates.

“Quickly, can you two tell me what is on this?” The two look it over quickly before shrugging.

“Isn't this the list of the current Wonderbolt records? Why are there so many smudges on it though? Like this one which is held by... Huh, I can't remember.” Spitfire looked at Fleetfoot as she answered before looking at the one the mare was trying to remember. An idea solidified in her mind as it was the only record that was still legitimately held by the stallion.

“How can you not remember me!? And those are my records! How can you not see that!” The three princesses and the two guests that were witness to the recent event looked at the stallion as he started to hyperventilate, yet neither of the two lieutenants reacted to him at all. Soon the stress of the situation got to him and he soon passed out, surprising the two that seemed to be ignoring him.

“Woah! Hey, are you all right!?” As Soarin moved to help the downed stallion, Spitfire moved to stand next to Celestia.

“I think I know some of what happened. Whatever those seven did somehow made them forget everything that Wind Rider did, even to the point that they block out anything trying to remind them of it.” Celestia nodded, but Luna had a look of horror on her face for a moment before she sadly shook her head.

“The punishment fitting the crime, indeed. There is nothing worse than being completely forgotten when all you want is to be acknowledged. When I was released from the moon only to find that I had been forgotten, it almost broke me. But to find that young Twilight still knew of me? At that moment I almost broke down crying and I vowed that whatever happened she would be spared even if she was allied with my sister.” Celestia looked over to Luna before she moved over and set a wing over her sister.

“That time is all over now. You don't have to worry about Nightmare Moon ever controlling you ever again.” Luna opened her mouth to say something to her sister, but decided against it with a shake of her head before leaning into her sister. Seeing the two having a moment, the Wonderbolt Captain turned back to her teammates and frowned.

“Take him to a secure room back in Canterlot Palace, the princesses are going to want a word with him later.” She looked over at the remaining active Wonderbolts and could only find two of them left in the air, one of them being the rookie. “Oh and make sure that the rookie is ready the next training day for the main squad, she definitely earned her place today.” The two looked surprised but nodded as they moved to lift the stallion onto Soarin's back. As he flew off towards Canterlot, Fleetfoot went towards the conscious Wonderbolts to deliver the news, as odd as it was.

“Well that was rather interesting, but I suppose it works out. Princess Celestia, we need to talk.” All heads turned to see that Bella Donna had returned from her talk with Discord. The tall alicorn nodded to the former Captain.

“Yes? What is it that you need?” The unicorn frowned at the princesses calm tone before looking back over towards her daughters, one of which was taking the chance to run off again with her friends since their sisters had fallen unconscious.

“About how you abandoned my daughters...” The unicorn trailed off when she saw the princess wince before her expression turned sad.

“Oh, that. I still can not express how remorseful I am for that. I still stand by what I said before, if there is anything that I can do to make it up to you, just name it.” Celestia had a feeling that her promise would come back to bite her in the flank as a sinister smirk appeared on her former Captain's face.

“That's good to hear then. Because I finally thought of the perfect thing and you have a month to prepare for it. You... are going on a vacation.” The two conscious princesses and their guests just stare at her as if she was crazy. A snort rang out, and Celestia turned to glare at her sister as she tried to maintain her composure and failed as she hid behind a wing and started laughing.

“I do not see what is so funny about this, sister. We do not have time for such frivolous pursuits as there is still so much do be done, especially in light of the corruption that has been revealed in the recent years. If I just took off like that then who would make sure that the kingdom is running correctly?” Celestia didn't seem to fully realize what she said as both of the other princesses looked a bit miffed at her words. Bella just shook her head at the trio with a sigh.

“This is why you need to go for at least a month, and why I'm giving you time do prepare. You seem to have forgotten that you are no longer alone in running the kingdom, especially with there being ten alicorns around now. I'm sure that nothing will happen to Equestria while you take a few days to yourself.” Celestia looked unsure about that which was shown by how her wings twitched nervously, showing just how out of her comfort zone the idea was.

“But! They are not ready yet! And Luna still has not gotten used to the modern times and all the new laws and...!” She was brought up short when her sister pressed herself up against her side. Looking down at her younger sister she chewed on her lip as she stared into the puppy-dog pout that was being given to her. Spitfire chose this moment to speak up with her opinion on the subject.

“I have to agree with her on this, your highness. In fact you even signed into law requiring that all government personnel are required to take a vacation at least every other year and even gave power to their subordinates to force their leaders to do so in the event that they are no longer performing their duties up to a certain standard. You've said that we were always supposed to treat your sister as your equal in all things, yet you still keep on trying to deal with everything alone bar the few instances you called on Princess Twilight and her friends to deal with.” The princess was about to argue, but when she thought back on the time since her sister returned she couldn't think of many times where she asked her sister to deal with something without her watching over her.

“As for them not being ready... How will you know if you don't let them try? My daughter has been doing a fine job with the reinstated Black Guard and Rainbow Dash has been actively learning from Spitfire here. In fact the only one that may have any trouble would be Fluttershy, but it's not like they will be alone. Sure they may not have your experience, but Princess Luna isn't new to ruling, and Princess Cadance has knowledge of the current laws. Working together I'm sure they can more than make up for you not being there.” The princess couldn't find fault in the unicorn's words, especially as she had been grooming Twilight for the position for years. Yet there was still a part of her that didn't want to give in just yet.

“But... It... They...” As the princess tried to find words for what she wanted to say and fail, she finally gave up with a sigh before nodding, her head low. With a smile, Bella Donna waved a hoof causing Discord to appear next to her.

“Don't be like that. You still have a month to prepare yourself and Discord is helping out by arranging transportation so that you won't be bothered by anyone. Of course I'll leave the explanations to the others to you. Speaking of, they appear to be waking up now.” Turning to the collapsed mares they found that the first of them had begun to stir, followed soon by the others.

“Ugh, what the hay just happened?” Rainbow Dash groggily raised her head and looked around to find her friends on the ground and the other princesses looking at them. Rising to her hooves she looked over to the alert ponies and wasn't the only one as the others awoke one after another. Seeing as Celestia was still partially in shock and Luna was there supporting her, that left only one pony to explain things.

“All of you somehow managed to tap into your alicorn natures when dealing with Wind Rider. We aren't exactly sure just what you did, but when they find out Auntie Celestia and Luna will let you know. Wind Rider was also taken away to be dealt with as well.” The seven mares looked confused, but nodded all the same to Cadance.

“Still, now that you are all awake it seems that almost everything here is finished. We should really go and let the town know what happened before the panic spreads too far.” Turning towards Ponyville, they noticed some ponies running about in panic. With the weather team in disarray and taking care of their injured, that just left the group of alicorns. Seeing this, the group spread their wings to fly back to town, but Rainbow Dash was stopped when a voice called out to her.

“Hey, Rainbow? Wait up a moment.” Pausing mid-flight, the rainbow-maned pegasus turned back to Spitfire who was digging through her saddlebags. Landing once again she waited as the mare pulled a wrapped package out of it and turned back towards the alicorn.

“So what's up? I really need to go and help the others so...” Spitfire just smiled at the impatient mare before slowly unwrapping the bundle.

“I was actually planning on saving this until later, but seeing what you and the others have done for the Wonderbolts I feel that it shouldn't be put off any longer. When I first saw you in action I always knew that you would be one of the best Wonderbolts ever, but when you grew that horn everything changed. Yet even after that you still put your all into the Wonderbolts even though you no longer can join. So it felt right to give you this.” She finished unwrapping the package revealing a coat much like the one that was being worn by Wind Rider earlier. Rainbow Dash looked on it in confused shock as the Wonderbolt Captain continued.

“So, in light of the great loyalty you have shown as well as the efforts you have taken to improve the Wonderbolts, I am proud to bestow this upon you and to name you an honorary Wonderbolt along with all the benefits given to our retired members. I look forward to working with you more in the future as we work to bring the Wonderbolts back to their former glory.” Spitfire passed the jacket over to the cyan mare before taking wing and flying after the other princesses to see if there was anything she could do to help.

With her gone, Rainbow Dash sat there trying to process just what had happened as she stared at the object in her hooves. As a shimmer matching her mane passed over her eyes she snapped out of it with a squee of joy as she finally registered just what she was given. In a flash she had put the jacket on and found it to be a perfect fit. While she wanted to take longer to admire it, she managed to remember that she had something to do and took off back towards town. Silence settled over the small clearing until a voice broke it.”

“Did everypony forget about Trixie? What is she supposed to do now?”

Author's Note:

Bleh, took long enough to finish this. Still I think I got everything in that I planned as well as set up things for another couple future chapters. Of course just what I've been hiding or have planned...? Well you'll have to guess or wait and see. :pinkiecrazy:

Please guess, I want to know what people are thinking. :fluttershysad: