• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 10,110 Views, 910 Comments

Seven Lights - Fresnor



The multiverse is just one grand experiment for many immortals as they try to explore its secrets. This is the story of one such experiment on what would happen if a new element was added to a universe that nearly exactly parallels the original.

  • ...
25
 910
 10,110

49

“So once again, here we are in the Crystal Empire. What did your sister-in-law want with all of us this time?” Aegis Flare looks over to Twilight as she and her friends ride in a carriage from the train station to the Crystal Palace. It takes a moment for her to respond as her head was buried in a book but she eventually managed to tear herself away from it.

“I'm not really sure. All that she said in her letter is that she had some secret alicorn issues to talk with us about that she could only tell us about in person. I really hope that it she can give me some answers on how alicorn magic works because I just can't wrap my head around it.” The others looked at each other before shaking their heads at Twilight.

“As interesting as that sounds Twilight, some of us still need to practice with the magic ya already know a bit about before even thinking about trying something fancy like that.” Applejack's response was met with a series of shudders and nods as the past few weeks came back to the forefront of the seven mare's minds.

vvvvvvvvv

“Come on, come on, come on, get up! We're going to be late for training with Rainbow Dash and the others!” Scootaloo rushed into her sister's room to wake her up for flight training with the others only to find the older mare nowhere to be found. Stopping with a confused look as she hadn't seen her anywhere else in the house she looked around until she heard an odd sound coming from the closet. “Is that... snoring?”

Opening the door to the closet she stifled a giggle as she found the hilarious sight of her sister hanging upside down with the rest of her clothes by her tail. She had faint memories of her father sleeping upside down occasionally, but she had never heard of her sister doing so and she could only guess it had something to do with her wings. Reaching out with a hoof she prodded at her sister's hanging form, causing her to rock back and forth and bringing about another giggle from Scootaloo.

Getting an idea the filly rushed out of the room for a moment before returning with a camera to use for evidence of what she was witnessing. Unfortunately she had forgotten to turn off the flash so when she snapped the picture the bright like broke her sister out of her sleeping state. With a jerk Aegis Flare snapped into wakefulness as she looked around in confusion. “Huh? What? Where am-WOAH!”

With a crash the mare's tail came loose for the crossbar in her closet as she went plummeting to the ground with a crash. Shaking her head to clear the disorientation the alicorn looked over to find her sister howling with laughter just outside of the closet and she gave her a deadpan look. “Oh haha, very funny. How did you even get me in here anyways?”

After being given a moment to regain her composure, Scootaloo shook her head at her sister and pointed a hoof at her wings to which her sister looked crestfallen at when she turned to look at them. “Hey don't look at me, I just found you in there. I think I remember dad doing that before so it's probably because of those.”

“And here I was hoping that it was all a dream. I guess we should get ready to meet with the others then and find out what we are going to be doing. This whole transformation is going to bring one headache after another, isn't it?” With a shake of her head the mare rose to her hooves and took a step forward. “Whoa!” Or at least tried to as her hoof landed at an odd angle, sending her crashing face-first into the floor causing her sister to wince.

“Are you all right, sis? That looked like it hurt.” Glancing up before rolling her eyes at her sister, Aegis Flare slowly rose back into a sitting position before rubbing at her nose.

“I won't even dignify that with an answer, ow. Something just doesn't feel right with my legs. They aren't moving like I remember them moving.” She looked over her hooves trying to find what was wrong as Scootaloo rubbed at her chin.

“Huh, now that you mention it you do look a bit taller and... Thinner I guess? You don't seem as hard either, closer to how Fluttershy always was than Applejack or Rainbow Dash.” Scootaloo poked at her sister's leg to prove her point as her hoof sank into more padding than used to be there before hitting muscle. The elder mare frowned before giving a dejected sigh.

“Great, just one more thing to be forced into getting used to. At least I won't be the only one having to deal with this. I can't believe the princess wanted to put Twilight through all of this with nobody else to understand what she was going through. I doubt her or Luna would have the time to help her, and Cadance is up north dealing with her own kingdom. At least now we can all turn to each other if we need help with adapting, well, except for Pinkie Pie.” Scootaloo listened intently to her sister and frowned at thinking about what Twilight may have done if she had so many changes forced on her alone, but she froze up with wide eyes when it finally registered that Pinkie Pie was also an alicorn. Her reaction didn't last long before she started looking thoughtful.

“Is it wrong to think that Pinkie being an alicorn just makes her seem more normal now?” Her words brought a chuckle out of her sister before she ruffled her mane.

“I think all of us reacted like that last night, especially since she seemed to be having no problem at all flying around or teleporting. Sometimes I envy how little things like this affect her. Well we might as well get ready to head out and meet the others. Not quickly though, I'd rather not fall on my face any more than I have to.” Rising to her hooves she shakily took a step forward before slowly leaving her room to prepare for the day. Not much later the two orange ponies found themselves at the meeting place that had been agreed upon the previous night.

When they arrived they found that the other mares were each nursing various bumps and minor injuries except for two of them; Rainbow Dash whom had yet to arrive, and Pinkie Pie who was just bouncing around in excitement. Scootaloo noticed that her fellow crusaders and Spike were also there and rushed over to them as the elder sister joined the other older mares. “I see that I'm not the only one not used to their changed bodies.”

There were nods from the others while Applejack frowned and looked at her hooves. “If only that was the only problem. Mah aim is all off now and ah hurt poor Bloomberg Jr this morning. Put a right big crack in him when trying to buck the apples off of him. It's going to take all we got to heal him up before winter rolls around.”

Twilight frowns at the farm mare as she brings a hoof to her chin before wincing as she touches a sore spot in that area. “I thought that it was only an accident, but if my magic is actually a bit stronger then that would explain how I managed to hit myself in the face with a book this morning. That's not even including how clumsy I've been feeling physically.”

The others nodded along with her though only Rarity had noticed any increase in abilities so far. The group failed to consider another aspect of their problems until a shout flowed down from above. “Look out below!”

With a thud and cloud of dust a familiar cyan object crashed into the center of their group. Once the dust cleared the mares could identify Rainbow Dash as she lay on her stomach looking dazed. Shaking her head she looked up at her friends who were looking at her with concern. “Uh, I meant to do that, I think. I've had off days before but this is ridiculous. It's like my wings aren't moving like I want them to, and not only that it feels like I'm moving faster than I'm trying to.”

Her friends quickly explained the little bit she missed and once they finish she looks annoyed while thoughtful. She looked over herself and her friends for a moment and noticed the changes that they had each gone through. She intimately knew her body due to her constant training so she easily identified the increase in muscle mass from the earth pony physique as well as the layer of plushness that came with the unicorn form. The others had generally gone the other direction as they lost some of that plushness while gaining a more visible tone to their muscles. Applejack was the exception as her once visibly toned body had practically vanished as she slimmed down to a more pegasus physique while gaining a layer of fat from the unicorn side of alicorndom.

“Huh, that's a bit of a problem but it shouldn't be that hard to deal with. While teaching you how to use these babies then we can work on getting used to how everything else moves now.” The others roll their eyes but they can't come up with a reason to argue.

“Well don't forget that them wings aren't the only thing ya have to worry about. Ah'm not sure what ya all can learn from me and Pinkie, but we sure can try. Ah'm also not sure how ah feel about it, but ah might as well learn how to us this thing as well.” Applejack prods at her horn causing those not used to it to cross their eyes looking at their own. Plans were made and they all agreed to meet again the next day for training with Rainbow Dash.

---------

“I really don't know about this. Are you sure we can't just start on the ground?” Aegis Flare anxiously looked towards the edge of the cloud as she stood in the middle of it. The others not used to standing on clouds without a spell were too busy marveling at the new sensations while her sister and Rainbow Dash just rolled their eyes at her. The group had been ferried up on smaller clouds so that they had a safer area to train outside of the view of other ponies.

“Well if being Fluttershy's cousin was ever in doubt then it's easy to tell now. I haven't seen another pony that could fly that was scared of heights since Fluttershy was in the flight academy in Cloudsdale. All right everypony, line up and spread your wings, before you can even think of flying you need to learn how to take care of your wings.” Fluttershy glared at her fellow former-pegasus but still helped the others spread their wings before going over to reassure her cousin.

Rainbow Dash stalked up and down the line examining her friends as she muttered to herself. “Needs work, Twilight. Clean, but messy, Applejack. Pinkie Pie. Hmm, almost perfect Rarity, but get rid of that shampoo, it dries your wings out too much. And... Uh... Help me out here Fluttershy, I have no idea about these.”

When she came to Aegis Flare's thestral wings she stopped in confusion as she had never examined the bat-like wings before. Fluttershy moved over to examine them while humming to herself. “Well I'm not really sure, but they seem to be fine. They aren't quite like any bat I've seen but they are pretty similar.”

With a hum, Rainbow Dash walked around her while dragging a rear hoof until she had performed a full circuit. “Well there's no time like the present to start. Now remember to spread your wings early.”

Her words confused the orange alicorn who hesitated while the cyan mare reared up onto her hind legs. “Huh? What are you talking about- Rainbow Daaaaaaaaaaash!” With the full force of her weight, Rainbow Dash slammed her hooves down on the inside of the circle she drew causing the cloud to disintegrate under her friend. This sent Aegis Flare plummeting down to the earth below as her wings snapped tight to her sides.

As their friend disappeared beneath the clouds, the rest of them just looked on in shock as Rainbow Dash turned to the rest of them. Before she could choose her next victim she was met with an angry mare staring her down. “Rainbow Dash! You should be ashamed of yourself! You know how uncomfortable she is with heights, especially after what happened during the Young Fliers Competition! Do you have to use the horrid methods that they used on us back then?”

Rainbow Dash froze for a moment as she had flashbacks of her own before she sighed. “Sorry about that Flutters. I try not to think of those days too much and it was the first thing that came to mind. I guess I'll have to come up with something else, huh?”

The others nodded in agreement before they tried to brainstorm ideas on how to deal with the situation. They weren't long into their planning when Aegis Flare was dropped off on the edge of the cloud by Flitter and Cloudchaser, both who requested by Rainbow Dash to help ferry the group up and down as needed. After a few moments to recover she angrily rose to her hooves and started marching towards the group with all her attention focused on her cyan friend. “You! Do you know how scared I was when you just dropped me like that!? Why I ought tooooooooo-”

The mares just gaped as Aegis Flare fell off the cloud at the exact same location that she was dropped from. With a roll of their eyes and a chuckle the two pegasi dove down after her yet again. “Wow, I didn't expect for that to happen. Think she'll still be angry when she gets back up again?”

Rainbow Dash was met with shrugs as they went back to planning. When the orange mare was dropped off yet again on the cloud she only curled up and started shivering in place. Her friends looked over at her before Pinkie Pie sighed and bounced over towards her and started stroking at her tail. “Flarie, you really need to stop letting your fear control you, aren't you supposed to be the Element of Courage?”

The shivering alicorn started taking deep breaths to control herself, but just when she was starting to get control of herself Pinkie Pie turned and softly bucked her off the cloud. The other mares gasped at seeing this happen but they soon looked confused when they started to hear their friends voice from off the cloud. “Pinkie Pie! What was that for!? Get me back up there right now or I'll-”

Her tirade was caught off as Pinkie Pie flew down to her and shoved a cupcake in her mouth. “Just take in the view until you can spread your wingies out and get back up with them, we'll talk when you get back.” The others had walked over by then and were looking over the edge of the cloud to find Aegis Flare's tail being stuck in the cloud by Pinkie. As the pink alicorn flew back up onto the cloud she looked around at the others. “What? She can't fly if her wings freeze up just looking over the edge. Even Fluttershy isn't that bad anymore.”

Fluttershy blushed as she pawed at the cloud with a hoof and the others sat in a circle to go back to planning. Eventually Aegis Flare crawled her way back onto the cloud with her wings spread wide before she slumped over panting while leveling a glare at the group. “I don't know how, but I'll somehow get you back for this later.”

---------

Her promise came true sooner than Aegis Flare expected as the mares tried to learn how to use their unicorn magic a few days later in one of the Apple families barns on the edge of their property. “Wow, how did you even manage to do that Rainbow Dash?”

The cyan pegasus blinked at her friend as she tried to shake off the black residue that covered her body after electrocuting herself while her horn smoked. “I have no idea. I was only trying to do the light spell like Twilight said.”

She wasn't the only one having troubles as Applejack had a habit of putting holes in the building while Fluttershy seemed to be scared to even try. Twilight wasn't handling things too well as her mane popped out of place at seeing how badly her friends were doing while Pinkie Pie conjured up various items out of boredom.

^^^^^^^^^

“I just wish it didn't take over a week before I thought to ask my aunt for advice. It would have been nice knowing that pegasus flying styles and magic are barely compatible with the thestral manner.” Aegis Flare sighed as as she looked around at her nodding friends who each had had various problems over those weeks of training.

“Quite, there just has to be a better way to connect with our earth pony magic than doing farm work all the time. 'mucking about' in the mud just isn't for me.” Applejack rolled her eyes at Rarity and her prissy ways.

“Well I did say that ah wasn't sure if we could teach you anything. Earth Pony magic isn't like your fancy unicorn or pegasus magics, it is more subtle. Unlike Pinkie Pie most earth ponies have no idea how to use it and know that they are. At least the mud is all ya have to worry about. Ah still can't get the smell of burnt hair out of that barn.” Rainbow Dash shudders at the memories of her horn malfunctions over the weeks.

“At least the crusaders have been having fun. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom have been having loads of fun spending time with their sisters and Scootaloo has been there every day for flight training.” The elder sisters of the trio smile as they think of how their sisters had been so ecstatic at spending time and learning with them.

“It's just too bad that Scootaloo doesn't seem to be getting any better at flying. I've tried every trick I know of to get her in the air but she barely manages to flutter in place for a few seconds. How can somepony with that much power on a scooter not manage to stay in the air? I even dragged Twilight's little wing-power thingie out and she barely even moved it, even on her scooter.” Rainbow Dash threw herself back onto her carriage seat as the others glanced over at her. Twilight only glanced at her at first, but when her eyes passed over Fluttershy she froze before frowning thoughtfully.

“You never told me that you pulled the anemometer out to test her wing-power. I was wondering why it was sitting outside of the library. Did you try letting Fluttershy try and teach her for a while?” Rainbow Dash looked at the lavender mare as if she was crazy.

“Why would Fluttershy teaching her help any? We all know that she isn't the best of fliers and has one of the lowest wing-powers I've ever seen. No offense intended, Flutters.” The buttery mare just gave a non-committal shrug, acknowledging her weakness, while Twilight just smirked at the pair.

“You mean the mare that wrestles bears for a living? That kept up with you, and even caught you, back when Discord first escaped? Who also has a mixed heritage that includes thestral which has magic different from a pegasus when used for flying?” Rainbow Dash moves to answer but no sound leaves her mouth as her eyes dart between Twilight and the wilting Fluttershy. Aegis Flare looked thoughtful as well as she looked between the two former pegasii before settling on her cousin.

“It's not the craziest idea ever, but it does make a lot of sense. Fluttershy's speed really is up there when she isn't thinking about it. I bet she would enjoy spending time with her favorite cousin as well.” Fluttershy blushes as she meekly tries to deny what they were saying. She is saved from answering as the carriage comes to a halt and one of the guards knock on the outside of it.

“Ma'ams? We have arrived at the palace as requested.” With a look around and nod to each other the seven mares filter out of the carriage, much to the awe of the crystal guards. They were soon escorted into the palace and quickly arrived at the throne room, with only a short delay as Twilight ran into a pegasus guard. On arrival they found the three princesses, the largest looking rather red in the face, waiting for them, though two were surprised to see them.

“Twilight! You are finally here with your friends!” After their customary greeting, Twilight caught the pink mare up in a hug.

“It's good to see you Cadance, but we still aren't sure why you even wanted us here.” A clearing throat brought the groups attention to the tallest of the mares in the room as she stepped forward with an eye twitching.

“That is what I would like to know. The princess summit is for us to meet with the rulers of other nations and their presence isn't required here.” Both of the other princesses roll their eyes at the eldest alicorn before Luna steps forward.

“It was my idea to have young Cadance invite them here during this time. There is much that they still have yet to learn and even you must admit that hiding their presence from the other nations would be a bad idea. Even if your plans had succeeded, Twilight would be here for this yet would not be part of the meetings until she had had time to settle in to her role.” Celestia looked over at her sister for a moment before her gaze moved over the assembled mares before she settled on Aegis Flare with narrowed eyes. Saying nothing she exited the throne room leaving seven confused mares and two shaking their heads.

“Did we do something wrong?” Twilight sounded worry and there was a hint of tears in her voice as her mentor just walked away without a word. Luna sighed as she shook her head at her sister's behavior.

“I must apologize for my sister, I had forgotten how poorly she handled her various plans coming apart in unexpected manners and it seems that little has changed since I had been gone. Just give her some time to manage everything and she will be back to as you remember. It may take longer though as she has been finding that there has been much that was kept from her over the years.” The mares, including Cadance, looked confused before she continued.

“She hasn't been idle since we had last met. Since then she has been summoning many files on all you mares trying to get more of a feeling for you all. Much of it includes young Twilight's letters to her, but there are many other sources she has been utilizing. Unfortunately, when it comes to Aegis Flare there has been surprisingly little and is where the problem lies.” The mentioned mare perks up as all of her attention is on the princess by now.

“Almost all of what she has found has been from her student, everything else has been found to be missing. On further examination she found that everything dealing with her Black Guard had been stolen and now has some of her best ponies looking into it. I fear that much shall be revealed to have been out of my sister's control than she expected and have my own looking into many parts of the government for more issues.” The other mares glanced at each other before Aegis Flare rolled her eyes.

“Well you can probably blame many of the so-called nobles for many of the problems that you'll find. It is worrying though that she hasn't found anything though since I personally know two of the mares that are in Ponyville that were assigned to watch over me due to my magical affinities. It makes me wonder just where the information went especially since the Black Guard was shut down because of problems like this.” Luna frowned in worry before she eventually shook her head.

“While disturbing to consider, there shall be time for that at a later date. For now it is getting late so you should all turn in for the night.” With a nod the seven mares turned to Princess Cadance who waved them along as she excitedly showed them to their rooms while chatting with Twilight. She fended of the younger mares questions, having known her for a long time, leaving everything for tomorrow. Soon the seven mares were in their own rooms preparing for bed and what the next day would bring.

Some of the mares had more trouble than the others as Aegis Flare tossed and turned dealing, not only with the still unfamiliar feeling of her wings, but the echoes through the empty crystal halls at night and her sensitive hearing.

“Did you see them? I just can't believe it!”

“I know, it's so exciting.”

“I heard before coming in from a guard who saw them but I thought he was just joking.”

With a groan the orange mare glared at the door before lighting up her horn sending a glow throughout the entire room. She sighed in relief at the silence that followed as her shield cut off the noise from outside of her room. With a final look over at her Element, which the seven had brought with as a safety precaution, she closed her eyes and soon fell asleep.

<><><><><><><><><><>

While most ponies were asleep during these late hours of the night, one cloaked mare slunk through the halls in search of her goal. The guards were sparse, and with her hooves muffled she easily could hear any the were coming giving her plenty of time to hide. A glow came from underneath the cloak, revealing a horn, as the cloaked figure came to an intersection before it took a left turn. Soon the figure came across a row of door and the figure's magic was drawing her to the last of them.

As the figure passed by the third door it paused as it felt a tugging sensation which caused it to pause and turn towards it. The door was much like the others but there was an odd glow coming from it and the figure could detect a strong protection spell on it. With a moment it shook it's head before turning away from it as a feminine voice came out from under the cloak. “No time to satisfy my curiosity, there isn't much time to spare.”

With a shake of her head the figure moved on starting a chain of events that would cause many ripples in the future.

<><><><><><><><><><>

The next morning found Aegis Flare yawning as she left her room, looking around in a daze. After taking a moment to check she found that all her friends had already awoken and left somewhere. Wandering blindly she eventually found the dining room but when her friends weren't there she asked for directions from a nearby guard who directed her to somewhere deeper in the palace.

She soon found her friends in what appeared to be some sort of display room surrounding a mirror, sans Twilight. “There you all are. What's going on? Where's Twilight?”

“It took you long enough to wake up. We tried to wake you up but your weird shield magic kept us from getting into your room.” Despite Rainbow Dash's abrasive mood, it was easy to tell that she was just worried about something and Aegis Flare soon found out why. As the others explained to her what had happened she frowned at the mirror and wondered just what was over there and what would happen over the next three days.

<><><><><><><><><><>

“...So after defeating her and returning her back to normal the dance went on as normal before I returned through the portal. So did I miss anything over here?” The mares gaped at Twilight as she told her story before shaking their heads at what she described. They weren't quite sure how to respond but the first thing any of them said was not what Twilight was expecting.

“Huh, better not mention any of that to Lyra back in Ponyville. They'll have to keep her from breaking in to steal the mirror just so she can study it.” Aegis Flare's words drew a blank stare from Twilight for a moment before she shook her head. “Wait, Lyra? Lyra Heartstrings?” The mares gave her a nod in response. “I didn't know that she lived in Ponyville. I haven't seen her since we went to school together at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Huh, I haven't thought about her in a while either.”

Twilight frowned in thought for a moment before Pinkie Pie interrupted her thoughts. “Well Princess Celestia told us a story after you left and...”

vvvvvvvvvv

“Her name is Sunset Shimmer and was one of the biggest failures that I have made in the last century.” At their blank looks Princess Celestia sighed as she got a faraway look.

“It was many years before I took Twilight as my student. In fact Sunset Shimmer was my student before Twilight. When she was very young she lost her parents in a magical accident and I became her guardian as well as teacher. Eventually I had come to think of her as my daughter but I ignored her more than I should have in favor of duty. Over the years she grew more and more distant and became more impatient in her lessons and wanted to advance faster than she was ready to.” With a sad shake of her head Celestia told the tale of her student and how she slowly descended into the state she was now. It took her a while but none of the gathered mares interrupted until the end.

“But wait, if she was a student so long ago before Twilight was, then why does she look no older than any of us, princess?” Looking over at Rarity, Princess Celestia frowned in confusion.

“That shouldn't be possible, she should be at least ten years older than you all, unless...” Looking over at the portal she studied it for a moment. “Not much is known about the mirror, but it is possible that time does not align between our two worlds. It would explain why she has taken so long to show herself once again.”

Her following silence was the signal for the end of the conversation as the mares went back to waiting for their friend to return home.

^^^^^^^^^^

“The princess never told me about her previous student when I was living in Canterlot. She might be right about the time difference though since even over there Sunset was the same age as the others.” The others saw her starting to slip into her research mode but before she could get too deep into it Rarity decided to speak up.

“So, about that stallion that you keep running into, hmm?” This sent Twilight's thought off the rail as she began sputtering in embarrassment as Rainbow Dash spoke up.

“Meh, sure he didn't look half bad, but I doubt that he is all that smart. I mean what kind of guard stands in the center of the hall when ponies are walking through it and runs into them? And not once, but twice into the same pony?” Twilight frowns at the cyan mare but can't come up with an argument.

“Be nice to Twilight. It's not like she has had much contact with stallions that weren't the anonymous guards around Canterlot. Even in Ponyville most of the stallions are taken and even Big Mac is... Oh um... never mind.” The others watch as Fluttershy shrinks away as she almost gets into her own potential love-life. Before the topic could focus on her cousin, Aegis Flare sighs and turns to Twilight.

“So you said you met all of our friends, but you never said anything about me. How did the Elements activate over there with only six of them present and not seven?” Her question stopped all conversation as the group turned to stare at Twilight whose eyes widened as she hadn't notice the issue before in the excitement. Glancing at each of her friends she pondered the question.

“I... I don't know. Actually only one of them was even there which brings up even more questions. Does this mean that each one can work separately from the others? There is so much about them that we don't know and even Princess Celestia was unsure as to what they can do. Ugh, why did the she have to forbid me from doing any studies on them?” Her question drew laughs from the rest of her friends her proceeded to try and comfort her by bringing up the future meeting with her sister-in-law now that things were settling down once again.

Author's Note:

Well that was an interesting last couple days. I actually got my first two pieces of fan-art EVER and it was for this story.


Both by PhoelynFabulous

Mostly accurate as well with only the Cutie Mark being off as the shield is a tad too hi. It should be encircled by the flames making it look kind of like an eye. There were a couple other little things, but I was still so excited to see these show up unannounced.