• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 10,110 Views, 910 Comments

Seven Lights - Fresnor



The multiverse is just one grand experiment for many immortals as they try to explore its secrets. This is the story of one such experiment on what would happen if a new element was added to a universe that nearly exactly parallels the original.

  • ...
25
 910
 10,110

3

As time passed Aegis Flare was able to begin speaking for herself once again with minimal pain on her part. She kept up with both Rarity and Applejack but wasn’t quite sure if she would call them friends as the only interacted at school. She was able to catch up with the others in her studies fairly well and even helped some of the others in the few subjects she was ahead in.

The orange filly was having one major issue which was why she was waiting after school with the teacher for her caretakers to arrive. She fidgeted in her seat as she thought of them as there was something that she wanted to ask them but wasn’t sure if it was right to do so. Her current problems made it even harder to ask them about it as she felt somewhat ashamed about it.

She looked up when she heard the door open to see them finally arrive and Mrs. Crabapple stood to greet them. “Thanks for coming so quickly. I wanted to be sure about my suspicions before calling you in and it seems that I was correct in my assumptions.”

Bella Donna and Vanator each took a seat opposite the teacher by her desk while the mare waved the filly over to sit next to her. The filly carefully got to her hooves and walked over to sit next to her, but kept her gaze downwards. “So what was it that you wanted to talk to us about? We haven’t heard about any problems lately other than her having troubles with one of her classes.”

The teacher sighs as she pulls out some paperwork from her desk and sets it in front of the two. “That class is exactly what I wanted to speak to you about. At first I thought that she may have just not had the talent for such a thing but on further review I found that there was a much deeper problem. While most unicorns can only fully understand a small hoofful of unicorn runes, usually pertaining to the few spells the can cast, I’ve found that she can’t read any of them, even the few that relate to her talents.”

The filly winces when the two adults look at her in shock over this information. The teacher continues after she lets the news sink in a few moments. “It’s rather rare to see it, especially in a filly with such a strong talent, but in my opinion she may be completely spell-blind making it nearly impossible for her to expand on her abilities to anything outside of those talents.”

Bella brought a leg up and used it to pull the filly towards her side, with her flinching away slightly at the contact before giving in to her pull. “Are you really sure about that? It usually takes more than a few tests to prove something like that doesn’t it?” The stallion looks a bit skeptical about the claim, but glancing over towards the filly he sees a bit of fear in her eyes.

Shaking her head, the teacher just points a hoof at the paperwork in front of them. “I thought that I was making a mistake myself, but I was able to get a friend in Canterlot to send me those. Generally unicorns practice writing out the runes in normal ink where anypony can see them. On those scrolls are ones drawn in magic in such a way that only those that can cast spells using those runes can see them. Even earth ponies and pegasi can see a couple of them yet young Aegis Flare here says that all the sheets are blank.”

The two adults examine the sheets themselves, and after pointing out runes that they each can see that the other can’t, they are forced to agree with her assessment. They look down at the filly who is trying to hide behind the older mare before turning back to the teacher. “What are we supposed to do about this then? Do you know of some way to cure this or something?”

Mrs. Crabapple just shakes her head at the two as she accepts the scrolls back again. “Unfortunately little is known about this, condition so there hasn’t been anything found that can help. The only thing that I could even possibly suggest would be to help her adapt to this situation. All it really means is that she will be limited to the spells related to her talent though because of it she might have some trouble getting certain jobs in the future such as with the guard.”

The two look at each other, the stallion with a small grin, before turning back to the teacher again. “That won’t be much of a problem really. We’re used to unusual situations that require us to adapt so this shouldn’t be too difficult. We were thinking that when you called us in that there was a more major problem.”

They stood up and shook hooves with the teacher before headings out with the filly in tow. Aegis Flare slowly trailed behind them thinking on what she had learned and how it would affect things between them all from now on. Nothing was said as they walked through Ponyville back to their home on the edge of town.

Once they were inside they all took a seat in the living room while they all look at each other. None of them wanted to be the first to say anything as the each tried to figure out what they needed to do. Soon the silence became too much and Aegis Flare broke the silence. “I’m sorry.”

The two adults turn to each other in surprise before they look at the filly compassionately. “There’s nothing to be sorry about dear, there wasn’t any reason to think that his could happen and there was nothing you could do about it.” Bella moved over the sit with her and set a leg across her back causing the filly to lean into her.

Aegis Flare didn’t respond right away, but when she did she was starting to tear up a bit. “It’s just you both brought me into your home after saving me and I never wanted to make anything harder for you. Now this all happens and I’ll be taking even more of your time because of it.”

Vanator looks at her with a soft gaze before looking up and matching his wife’s gaze. “You really don’t have to worry about that, we actually enjoy the time we spend with you even if it seems like we are losing time doing other things. Taking care of you was the best decision that we’ve ever made.” He moves over to the other side of the filly and hops up next to her sandwiching her between the two.

A few more tears drips down the filly’s muzzle as she shifts back further between them. Thinking over what the others in her class often talk about with their home lives and families she finds herself wanting it for herself. Turning her gaze up to Bella a few more tears leave her eyes as she asks the question that had been bugging her for a while. “Can… can I call you mommy and daddy?”

Bella Donna and Vanator look at each other in surprise before they look down at her with a warm-hearted look and nuzzle her. “Of course you can, we were always thinking you as our daughter ever since we brought you in.” The filly wrapped her legs around the older mare’s neck in gratitude as she buried her head against her as joyful tears began soaking into her fur.

<><><><><><><>

After that day the family started doing more things together, though it would have made others wonder if they knew exactly what they did together. “Well that’s the last of the civilized races that I know of and it’s good to know about them even if you never meet them. You wouldn’t believe what happens when one of them goes into an area that had never heard of them before.”

Aegis Flare nods to her father as he finishes going over some of the culture of zebras while she takes a few notes. She had been learning about creatures that weren’t ponies from him over the last couple years while her mother had been teaching her about useful plants. Vanator had started with the sentient creatures first as it was important to not offend another race as they could be the most dangerous.

“Now that we are done with those we can start in on the creatures commonly found around the Everfree. Of course there still are many we don’t know of but those are usually very deep inside of it. I would normally start with the Timberwolves due to how common they are but I’m sure you already know about them already.” The filly shivers at the memories brought up by that name and nods to the elder pony, who pulls out a couple drawings.

“Right, since you know about them we’ll start with three of the most dangerous creatures you will commonly find in there. Those are the cockatrice, the manticore, and the hydra. Now the first and the last one are dangerous in different ways, but if you have a pair of these it makes dealing with them much easier.” He pulls out a pair of goggles and holds them out to his adoptive daughter to look at. While she wasn’t able to use common telekinesis, she did find a way to create a shield around objects and move that.

Looking over the goggles within her magical grasp she doesn’t see anything outside the normal and passes them back looking curious. “While they may look normal these have actually been enchanted in a way to protect the wearer from the gaze of a cockatrice as well as to see through various conditions like smoke, fog, or darkness. You should never enter the forest without something like these, not that you should be going in there anyways.”

They both look over towards the dark forest that was on the other side of the small field between it and Ponyville before turning back again. “With those the cockatrice becomes a minor annoyance though you should try to avoid hydras. The manticore is a bit of a tougher beast as they are very intelligent with a near sentient level of thought. They will usually avoid ponies but if you have to deal with them you can usually drive them off with a show of power or with a bribe. So do you have any questions about anything that we’ve talked about today or something relating to it?”

She finishes up jotting down a couple more things before she looks up thoughtfully when her gaze settles on her father’s wings. “Why are you so different from the other pegasi around here? I don’t think you’ve said anything about that before.” Looking back and fluttering his bat-like wings he snorts a little before turning back with a smile.

“I did forget about going into the less common pony races, didn’t I? While there are many different kinds of ponies in legends outside of the ones you normally see, the bat-winged thestrals are the only kind that have been confirmed to exist. Most of my kind lives in the Transylmaneia area which is pretty isolated as they wait for the Night Mother’s return.” He sighs as he remembers his family that is still back there.

“We aren’t too different from the feathered pegasi but we do tend to be stronger flyers as we slice through the air better. Our diet also includes more meat and fruits than normal as well. Those with our improved night vision and better hearing due to our ear structure we are much the same.” Aegis Flare rolls her eyes up as she tries to look at her ears while they flick from side to side.

“Does that mean I could be part thestral? My ears look a lot like yours even though nothing else is the same.” Vanator hadn’t looked at them too closely before but on inspecting them now he found that she was right. He had only thought that they were just overly fluffy before but this revelation caused him to think.

“I hadn’t noticed it before, but you might actually be right about that. I had never thought if something like that would be possible, but it isn’t something that comes up that often. Of course if it is possible then that might be something to think about considering your mother’s condition.” The filly’s head turns to the side slightly as she tries to figure out what he is talking about.

“What is wrong with mom? Does it have something to do with why she is looking so fat lately?” Her father’s jaw drops open at this before he starts laughing hysterically at her naïve question. The orange filly just looks at him in confusion as he does this and wonders what it was she said. Eventually he manages to regain control of himself as he wipes a tear away from his eye.

“Oh that was a good one, though you might not want to say that around your mom. But it sort of does; and we probably should have talked about it earlier, but you are going to have a little brother or sister soon. We were meaning to tell you earlier but I guess we lost track of time and forgot.” Aegis Flare freezes at the thought as she doesn’t know how to react or what this will mean for her. Before she could think too deeply about this the back door of their home slams open and Bella limps out.

“Vanie?! I think the foal is coming early?” Complete silence covers the area as she says this before the thestral leaps from where he is sitting and rushes over to help the unicorn.

“”What, now?! Are you sure, you should still have a couple months left?!” He reaches her and feels her side as she winces as another contraction goes through her.

“I don’t care when it was supposed to happen but the foal wants out now!” Realizing that this really is happening, the stallion waves the filly over as he picks up his wife in his front hooves as he hovers.

“There is a bag up in our room that I need you to go get and bring to us at the hospital. I wish we had more time to talk about this but unfortunately this is happening now.” With that he slowly flies off in the direction of the hospital while leaving the filly behind to follow his directions.

The filly herself is confused and a little scared as this is all happening so quickly without giving her time to come to terms with any of it. She trudges her way through the house to collect the bag before following her adoptive parents to the hospital while thinking the entire way. It had been over a year since she was formally adopted by the two ponies she now called her parents so she still felt a bit insecure in their relationship. The thought of there being a foal that was actually their child really made her fearful about what would happen to her.

As she walked through Ponyville to the hospital she was stalled as various ponies stopped her to find out why I was looking so downcast. There were mixed reactions as her parents weren’t really well-known in town but generally they tried to cheer her up. By the time she arrived at the hospital she was still worried, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been.

Once she got inside one of the nurses directed her towards a waiting area though she wasn’t allowed into the area her parents were located. It had been a while since she had been in the hospital but it had steadily been expanding as the town was growing. Sighing, she took a seat in the waiting area and stared at the floor from her chair as she waited for her parents to find her.

She was waiting there for over an hour before somepony moved to check up on her though it wasn’t who she was expecting. “Well howdy there Flare, what are ya doing around here this time of day now?” Looking up the worried filly found that the apple family had shown up with their own recent addition to the family with them for what was likely a check-up.

She let out another sigh before she answered Applejack while pointing towards the emergency room. “My mom is in there right now. I was just told that I was going to get a brother or sister today and she came running out saying it was happening now. I’m not completely sure what is happening and I’m scared.”

Applejack’s eyes widen before she turns to whisper something to her family and walks over to the darker orange filly and hopping up into a seat next to her. The two sit in silence, one thankful for the presence of the other as she probably knows what she is going through. “It really is a scary thing ta go through, especially when it’s the first time. Mah brother said that when Applebloom was born it wasn’t as bad as when Ah was being born. Ah was terrified about what would happen when she was coming but he was there reassuring me.”

She leans over and sets a hoof on the other filly’s shoulder as she continued. “Ya might feel a mite bit differently since ya are alone, but there is one thing that helps to focus on. Your younger sibling will always look up ta ya for years as one of the most important ponies they know. Ya may feel neglected for the first couple years but after that they will know how important ya are to them as ya are there family and family is always there.”

Seeing her brother waving over to her Applejack shakes her head before standing and patting Aegis Flare’s shoulder once again. “Mah family is calling me, but just remember that no matter what happens your family will always care about ya, even if it seems like they don’t.” With that she trots across the room to where her family had gone though she gave another backwards glance before getting out of sight.

The darker orange filly watches as she goes and finds that she does feel a little better after the talk. While other ponies in town had tried to reassure her, none of them until Applejack had touched on her fear of being abandoned. She settles down again to wait for word from her parents while she takes the time to think about what is to come in the future.

She actually fell asleep while waiting and was startled when a nurse came to shake her awake. As she blurrily looked at the nurse in confusion she eventually remembered where she was as the nurse started to speak. “Come along now, there is somepony that would like to meet you.”

Following the nurse she was led through the hospital to a room near the back where she found her parents, her mother lying in bed, along with a glass case of some kind. Her father noticed her enter and he waved her over to the case with a wing. “There you are Flare, come on over and meet your sister.”

She hesitated for a moment as they tried to lure her towards the case. She cautiously walked over towards the case and looked inside and was surprised at what she found. After seeing Applebloom, the young filly looked too small to be real and she was worried, especially after seeing all the tubes and wires.

The tiny pegasus’ wings looked so fragile on her orange form and the wispy cerise mane and tail looked incomplete. The foal looked to be struggling a bit and when her tiny eyes blinked open to reveal her purple eyes, Aegis Flare felt a shock of emotion flow through her. When she turned teary eyed towards her parents they only had one thing to say. “What do you think of your new sister Scootaloo?”

Author's Note:

Well there's that little surprise. just as a note she started at about age 8 and at this point is a bit over 10 years old now. Just one to two chapters left now until the events of NMM start and I try to come up with interesting changes to the episodes. Also more comments and speculations would be nice. :raritydespair: