• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 10,110 Views, 910 Comments

Seven Lights - Fresnor



The multiverse is just one grand experiment for many immortals as they try to explore its secrets. This is the story of one such experiment on what would happen if a new element was added to a universe that nearly exactly parallels the original.

  • ...
25
 910
 10,110

40

“Thank you for helping me out with this, Flare. I know I said that I was wanting to do this later today but what I previously had planned kept being interrupted by Pinkie. Still, I guess this is more important than trying to turn an apple into an orange.” Twilight scratched away on a scroll as she examined a glowing ruby brought to her by Aegis Flare. The orange mare herself was slowly pulling out more gems from a secure carrying case.

“At least this is less likely to have Applejack glaring at you for doing something like that to her apples. Still, while it would be an interesting trick I think this research will be much more useful in the long run.” She finished setting out the last of the gems on the flash cards Twilight set out for them that had the appropriate information written on them. Twilight frowned at all the empty cards that were still there while her friend stored the case away.

“You didn't get as many as I had hoped. How am I going to study the various branches of magic and build a sensor to detect the differences if I don't have all of them?” Aegis Flare sighed as she turned back to the librarian.

“I got as many samples as I could, but many of the more exotic or illegal branches of magic are hard to get samples of. You'd have a better chance of getting them through the princesses. I was lucky enough to get access to a few samples of the necromantic branch, the full spectrum of it even.” Twilight's eyebrow rises as looks down at the card she had reserved for it and found more than one gem on it.

“Wait, you mean there is more than one type for it? What's the difference and how did you even get these?” As the mare looked over the assembled gems Aegis Flare looked wary before she shook her head.

“It's rather complicated, but from what I've seen and heard there are a variety of ways that necromancy is used. Raising the dead is the one commonly associated with it but I've seen a few healers that use variations of necromancy as well. I have a friend that has a few sources that they can gets things like this from. Nothing illegal, but there are ponies that would take exception to the work she does.” Twilight looks suspicious for a moment but shakes her head as she looks over the collection again and notices another oddity.

“Would this demonic magic be from that friend as well?” Twilight gestured to the morganite as it glowed faintly on the table.

“Yeah, though she couldn't get any of the other kinds. Demons aren't very common so getting ahold of one type is a bit of a miracle.” Twilight walked away from the table on hearing this before banging her head on a nearby wall.

“Ugh, this is going to be more difficult than I thought. If every branch of magic is like those two then it could take years to categorize all the variations.” Aegis Flare patted Twilight on the back reassuringly before turning to look at the door as an odd sound teased at her ears. Moments later there was a knock at the door drawing her attention that way as well.

Outside the two found what seemed to be half of Ponyville waiting, all of them complaining about something. After calming them and finding what was going on Twilight darted back into the library for research while Aegis Flare just sat outside, eye twitching. “Pinkie Pie! And there are somehow hundreds of them? Why do I get the feeling that this is not going to be a fun day?”

“Did somepony say Fun!?” Some of the gathered ponies let out a shriek of surprise when the Pinkie Pie appeared out of nowhere in their midst. The call of fun she gave off started a chain reaction as more and more of the pink pony started popping up all over the place. This sent the crowd into a panic as they began to flee the area leaving Aegis Flare alone with the crowd of Pinkies.

With the crowd of Pinkies bouncing around her, Aegis Flare's eye twitched even more as she looked from Pinkie to Pinkie. As she watched she tried to figure out just how this was all happening as well as possible solutions to solving... whatever it was.

As one of them became more pushy and started poking at her while chanting about fun the unicorn's annoyance caused her to lash out a bit with her magic. Not wanting to hurt her, in case it was the real Pinkie, she only use her magic consuming flames which would only sting a bit. Of course that is what would normally happen but when her flames came into contact with the Pinkie Pie it reacted differently... violently differently.

As the flames touched the Pinkie Pie it rapidly flowed over her and before any of the observing ponies could react her body shredded apart and flew all over the place before dissolving into sparkles of magic. Aegis Flare's jaw dropped, along with all the Pinkie clones, at what happened before she nervously looked around. The clones all glanced at each other before looking back at her once more before the broke out screaming as they fled the area. “Not fun! Not fun at all!” Within the blink of an eye, really the mare only blinked, and the entire area was clear of ponies except for herself.

“I think I know what we need to do. I found this book talking about some sort of Mirror Pool and... Where did everypony go?” Twilight looked around as she came out of the library to find that only Aegis Flare was still there. After hearing from her friend what had happened the librarian put her hoof over her muzzle before shaking her head.

“You really need to be more careful with that spell. We still don't know why it reacts that way and you could really hurt somepony if you use it recklessly like that.” The orange unicorn shrugged while Twilight scanned the area where the incident happened. After a moment the purple mare frowned before shaking her head. “Well as far as I can tell your magic just dissipated the magical construct which was pulled back to the pool. I found a spell that does the same thing but we need to find the real Pinkie Pie or else it could send her instead.”

Aegis Flare's eyebrow rose in confusion. “Why would the spell send her to the mirror pool when she isn't a magical construct? A spell like that sounds too dangerous and vague to be worth using. Why wouldn't it use the makeup of the spell itself as a focus instead of what I'm guessing is the Mirror Pool?”

Twilight opened her mouth to reply before she looked back at the library. “I, I don't know. I mean it is an old legend so maybe it's all they could come up with at the time? That doesn't matter right now, we still need to figure out which one is the real Pinkie Pie.”

Searching through the town proved fruitless as the Pinkie clones kept running as soon as they recognized the orange unicorn. After the third time of this happening Twilight let out a groan of annoyance. “How are we going to find the real Pinkie Pie if we can't even get close enough to check if they are the real one? And where is everypony else hiding?”

Looking around Aegis Flare just sighs before shaking her head. “I think these Pinkie Pie wannabes are all running from me after what happened while the rest of town is hiding from them. They've caused quite a bit of damage in such a short time.” She looked around at the overturned carts and damaged buildings before her gazed settled on something out of place. “Twilight? What about that one? She's at least not acting like any of the others.”

Her eyebrow rose questioningly before Twilight looked in the direction her friend indicated to see a rather depressed looking Pinkie Pie with her head on a table of the nearby eatery. She was about to just brush it off before she looked at her once more then looked at the fleeing Pinkies. “I don't know actually. I've never seen Pinkie Pie sit so still before, but you're right that she isn't like any of the others. I guess it would hurt to ask.”

Walking over to the mare Twilight stopped a few paces away before clearing her through. “I don't suppose that you happen to be the real Pinkie, are you?”

The pink mare just kept poking at the ground wearily without really looking at her. “Heck if I know. Could be any one of us if you ask me. And if I said I was the real Pinkie, you wouldn't even believe me anyway. So just leave me alone. I've got some important poking the ground with my hoof to do.”

Twilight's just looks at her for a moment before turning back to Aegis Flare. “Well she's certainly not like any of the others, but how do we make sure we have the real one so we don't send the wrong one back to the pond? I'm actually starting to miss her and her antics and these clones are a poor imitation.”

While Aegis Flare looks thoughtfully at the pink ponies in the distance Pinkie Pie sighs. “I bet she misses you too. Bet she'd do just about anything to get to be with her friends again. Hey. Hey! What if you gave them a test? Pick something really hard for- YEOWCH!”

“FLARE!” Twilight glared at the other unicorn as Pinkie Pie hopped around awkwardly after having her hoof bathed in flames. The pain quickly faded causing her to look accusingly at her undamaged hoof while Aegis Flare just shrugged.

“What? She didn't explode so she has to be the real one. After the last test we all went through I'd rather not go through another one. Also sorry about that Pinkie, it's still safer than the spell Twilight found.” Pinkie glared at her before she perked up again and nodded while Twilight just glared at the unicorn.

Shaking her head Twilight just sighs before looking around the area. “Well that's one problem solved, but after seeing what happened when you got rid of one of them we need to get them all into one place before even trying to get rid of the others.” Pausing in thought she hummed before letting out a growl of aggravation. “We're going to need the others for this, but you two will need to stay out of the way. Wait at Sugarcube Corner until I send someone to find you.”

With a nod the two head out to the pink mare's home to wait out the coming storm. It takes a while but Twilight eventually manages to find their other friends and round up all the Pinkie clones they could find in town into the town hall. Once the last of them enters the building Twilight throws up a shield around the building and turns to her friends. “Right, now that that's done can one of you go and get Flare from Sugarcube Corner and the rest wait out here? I'm going to head inside to deal with this mess.”

The four look at each other for a moment before Fluttershy flies off and the other three look at her. “Uh, Twilight? Are ya sure that going in there alone is a good idea? We don't know which one is the real Pinkie so shouldn't we be in ta help?”

Twilight just waved a hoof at her in response. “Don't worry, I'll be fine in there. Also we also found the real Pinkie and Flare is keeping her company at Sugarcube Corner. Now if you'll excuse me I have some clones to send back.”

Her friends watched her enter and close the door with looks of worry, though their worries changed when screaming from the Pinkie clones began to filter through the closed door and the barrier around the building covered the door as well. Looking between each other they tried to decide if they should do something when Fluttershy returned with both Flare and the real Pinkie Pie. “What's going on here?”

Before any of them could answer the door burst open and one of the Pinkie clones tried to escape only to run into the barrier. With the door open they could hear Twilight's voice filter out from the building along with the sound of her magic. “Don't believe me do you!? Your trusted student that has done everything for years!? Then you just send me away to save a city and call it a test without telling me anything!? Well take this!”

The six mares look at each other before Pinkie walks up to the clone who had her face pressed against the barrier, eyes darting around in panic. As Pinkie got closer to her she seemed to calm down and began to start imitating Pinkie's movements. Suddenly a blast of magic came flying out the door cause the clone to dissipate into a swirl of magic causing the real Pinkie to leap backwards in shock. All eyes focused on the door as Twilight slowly walked out with a smile on her face and her horn glowing red from all the magic she was using. “Ahh, that felt better. Now we can get to fixing the town up again.”

The purple unicorn looked around at her friends as the just stared at her before Rarity walked up to her. “Twilight, darling? I think we may have to have a talk.”

Author's Note:

Headcanon. Twilight still had issues by the time this episode came out and pictured her friend's or Celestia's face on each clone she blasted away.

Also random things may seem to be popping up constantly over the chapters but they will eventually make sense after a while. Probably be the last time that one fire spell will be used for a while now, at least until more research is done on it. :derpytongue2:

Also just a tidbit to think of with the research up top? Think of pyromancy and how you think it may work. Now it can be done in a variety of ways such as creating fire, controlling fire, controlling temperature to cause fire, and even causing chemical reactions to cause fire. Now picture that for all branches of magic and Twilight really has her research getting more complicated than she expected. :insertcrazytwilighthere: