• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 10,110 Views, 910 Comments

Seven Lights - Fresnor



The multiverse is just one grand experiment for many immortals as they try to explore its secrets. This is the story of one such experiment on what would happen if a new element was added to a universe that nearly exactly parallels the original.

  • ...
25
 910
 10,110

2

The doctor kept young Aegis Flare for a couple more days for observation as well as a few tests. When the three were finally able to leave together they were warned to have her stay off her hooves as much as possible and to steadily exercise them. The doctor also gave suggestions for a few things that would help soothe her throat as it continued to heal. They did warn that some of the damage may be permanent and recommended they come back in a month for a check-up.

Bella carried the young filly on her back as they walked through Ponyville towards their new home. Aegis Flare hid in her mane as they moved through town while peeking out to watch the ponies they pass as they travel along. There were some odd looks towards the filly as the scars on her legs were clearly visible, since the fur hadn’t grown back in yet, and those that were able to see her throat threw her a look of pity.

The number of ponies they saw thinned out as they reached the edge of town since it was still in the middle of the day. The house they bought was in pretty good shape, but the area was pretty quiet as not many ponies were willing to live on the Everfree side of town. Moving inside the adults showed the filly around the house until the finally ended up in what would be her room.

“We haven’t had time to fill it all out yet but this room is all yours. When you are feeling up to it we can look into getting it set up more how you like it.” Bella levitated the filly to the ground so she could limp is and examine the room for herself. As was mentioned it was pretty basic with a bed, dresser, and desk along with a seat for the latter two. There was also a storage chest at the foot of the bed and a stairway by the bed to help her get into it considering her weak legs.

Aegis Flare slowly made her way around the room, running a hoof over some of the objects as she passes them, before she comes to the steps leading up to the bed. Prodding at the bottom step for a moment she then started climbing up them, wincing slightly, before hopping up onto the bed. After circling around the edge of the bed a couple times she settles down on the center of it and nods at the two still standing in the doorway.

Vanator walks across the room to the chest and leans into it before pulling out a small set of saddlebags with clasps shaped like her cutie mark. “We’ve already spoken with the teacher here in town and she agreed to see you this weekend to help get you ready for school. Of course if you want to we can still wait a bit longer if you don’t feel ready for it?”

Taking a moment to consider the idea she seems a bit uncertain at first but eventually shakes her head indicating that she doesn’t need the time. Her golden eyes match the grey eyes of the two before the stallion reaches over and ruffles her mane. She squeaks a little at the contact, but her magic doesn’t flair up this time in protest as her hooves flail at him trying to drive him off. He just chuckles at her antics before moving off elsewhere in the house leaving her to glare after him.

Rolling her eyes at him as he passes, Bella moves over to sit by the filly and pulls her into a hug. “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen him act so playful so try not to let him bother you too much. I’m not sure if he really even knows how to act around you.” She works on fixing the filly’s mane as she speaks and works it into a braid that hangs down the side of her head.

Finishing up, she leans back to observe her work before nodding in contentment. “Anyways, since you are finally out of the hospital let’s get you a real meal since the food in there isn’t that good. You’ll have to put up with him doing the cooking since mine tends to cause… stomach problems.” She blushes a bit when she admits this while letting the filly hop over onto her back before heading out to the kitchen.

<><><><><><><>

The weekend passed relatively quickly and an old yellow-coated, brown-maned mare was setting up a last few things before her class started for the day. She had most of it prepared but she was having some trouble with the new student that would be starting today. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen an assessment with such varied results before. High marks in the reading, basic writing, and a majority of the mathematics. Yet the scores in the history, geography, and unicorn runes are terrible.”

Looking out the window she notices that her students are starting to gather outside causing her to sigh. “She’s going to have a tough time catching up, but with how far ahead in a couple subjects she is she will have some spare time to do so. I’d like to get her a tutor but the school can’t afford that right now and I don’t think any of the other students will work for her situation. As much as I don’t like this I may have to just give her time to work through it herself and see where she is in a couple weeks.”

With another sigh she gathers everything together before storing it away for later as she stands up. Running a hoof through her mane she proceeds outside where she proceeds to start ringing the school bell by the front door. She watches as her students rush by her into the school and her eyes settle on a figure lagging behind the rest. She sees the filly she was just thinking of waving to a stallion with some kind of constellation cutie mark and a mare with one of a purple flower with black berries before she turned and limped her way towards the door.

Seeing that the filly was the last one to enter she waved her over to her. “Come along now dearie, if you’ll just wait outside of the classroom I’ll call you in and introduce you to the rest of the class.” The filly nods to her before rubbing at her throat with a hoof and following the teacher in.

Making sure that the filly is prepared the teacher enters the classroom and waits a few moments for the class to take their seats before beginning. “Good morning, class.”

“Good morning, Mrs. Crabapple”

“Now class we have a new student that will be joining us today, but she has a few problems that she is dealing with right now. Some of you may have heard about a filly being attacked by timberwolves recently and I am sad to say that they were true. While she is still healing she has problems speaking right now. So if you’d be a bit patient with her it will help her a lot.” She turns towards the door and waves a hoof towards it. “You can come in now Aegis Flare.”

The students watch as the orange unicorn filly walks and many of them gasp when they see the scars on her neck and legs. The teacher herself watches as she limps in calmly before she looks around the classroom slowly. “There will be time for you to meet with each other more later, but for now why don’t you take a seat in the back between Applejack and Rarity.”

The filly nodded to the teacher and limped her way back towards the indicated seat. She tried to ignore the stares she received from the other students and hoped that her fur would regrow quickly to cover her scars. Reaching her seat she took a moment to look over her two neighbors as they did the same.

To her left was a lighter orange earth pony with a long blonde mane and tail that both ended in a red ribbon. Her cutie mark was a trio of apples and she was guessing that this was most likely Applejack.

On her right was a white unicorn mare with a stylized purple mane and tail. Her cutie mark was a trio of blue diamonds that looked as if they had been buffed or something as they looked to be sparkling a little.

They both nodded to her as she sat down but no words were exchanged as the teacher was starting class. She was a bit lost about what the teacher was talking about, so did the best she could to take notes with her somewhat messy mouthwriting skills. She would have used her magic, but she was still practicing with it and wasn’t doing all that well for some reason despite being able to create a barrier relatively easily.

The class went on for a couple hours with a short break between subjects when time rolled around for the recess period. The rest of the students rushed outside relatively quickly leaving Aegis Flare to limp out slowly behind them. She made her way over to the tree that was out there before folding her legs under herself by it. She was about to pull out one of her schoolbooks when she heard somepony call out to her.

“There you are darling; I’ve been wanting to speak with you. Well, as much as possible after your terrible ordeal.” Aegis Flare looked up to see Rarity walking towards her while she was digging through the bags she had with her. “It’s nice to see another unicorn in Ponyville but it’s so terrible that you had to through what you did. Those scars are just so horrible but I have the perfect thing to help with that.”

She finishes digging through her things and comes up with a length of brown cloth and some yellow gems. Before she could object in any way Rarity brought it over to her and wrapped it around her neck. She then took a step back and pulled a mirror from somewhere and held it up for the injured mare to look into. “There, doesn’t that look so much better now?”

The orange filly raises an eyebrow as she looks at her image in the mirror to see a scarf now around her neck that was trimmed in the yellow gems. The biggest thing that she noticed was that it made it impossible to see the scar on her neck which was the important thing. She nodded to Rarity and tried to think of a way to thank her but the white unicorn just waved a hoof at her. “No need to thank me, it’s the least I could do to help you after what happened.”

Aegis Flare just watched as the other unicorn filly walked away causing her to shake her head in confusion. She was about to go back to her reading when she heard some rustling in the tree above her and an apple fell to the ground next to her. She just looked at the red fruit until she heard a voice above her. “Of course she would be thinking about how ya looked over everything else. Rarity is starting ta get a tad annoying about that.”

Looking up she catches sight of the filly that she now could confirm was Applejack. She was leaned back in a crook of the tree chewing on another apple. She lazily waves another hoof down at the apple that she most likely dropped. “Ya can have that one there; it didn’t look like ya had any lunch with ya. Still, ya must be tougher than ya look if ya lived through a timberwolf attack like ya have. Mah parents have ta chase them off the farm every once in a while.”

Applejack stretched her limbs out before she rolled to the side and leapt out of the tree. “Well ya might want ta hurry up with that, class is about to start again soon. Ah’d like to speak ta ya more once ya are feeling better.” Aegis Flare shakes her head as she watches the filly walk away before reaching out to the apple. Taking a bite out of it her eyes light up at the taste before she nods and quickly polishes it off. Not too much later the teacher appeared at the school entrance calling everypony in for the rest of the day’s class.

The rest of the classes for the day were relatively easy for her so she had time to study more on the stuff she was having trouble with. Soon enough the day ended and the class rushed off in various directions into the rest of the town. Aegis Flare looks around and finds the two that had taken her in and slowly made her way over to them.

“So how was your first day of school here? And where did you get such a pretty scarf?” The filly nods to Bella before pointing in the direction of the white unicorn that was slowly walking away from the school. The older mare smiles at this before patting her on the head and dropping down so she could climb onto her back. “So you’re already making friends then? Good for you.” Once the filly was settled she leans back to give her a nuzzle before heading off in the direction of their home while chatting about her own day.

Author's Note:

Well there's the settling in part, now for a bit of a skip next, but not too much of one yet. Still at least one or two chapters until Twilight arrives in town. Was hoping to see a few guesses on some things by now though. :fluttershysad: