• Published 24th Jul 2014
  • 4,511 Views, 899 Comments

The Catch - kudzuhaiku



Rye Mash. a young unicorn originally from the Shetland Isles, finds himself in the company of Equestria's most infamous sky pirates and is now the cabin colt of the infamous Captain Spyglass...

Comments ( 46 )

I had a feeling those would be Dash's ancestors.

I am liking the new cover art

Hehehe this was great!

Woe is a funny filly that I approve of, hehehe eue

Awesome job, awesoome job! :yay:

7004080 yes but the probability of the colouration breeding true after 200 years is nigh impossible. It would require so many chance events coming to pass or gratuitous amounts of inbreeding amongst skeeter and prism's progeny across multiple generations.

7005202

Rainbow Dash just got lucky. :rainbowdetermined2:

7005202
And we know that Celestia has been playing a geneology game with the Founder's offspring to raise the best traits from each of them to the modern day in hopes of dealing with Nightmare Moon.
She could have easily suggested pairing over the centuries to not only prevent accidental inbreeding but to cultivate heroes via the long game. It was stated earlier when comparing how Alicorns get stuff done, the Celestia is very slow and methodical because of how her hooves were tied by House Avarice. Where as Luna and Bucky prefer the direct "nuke it from orbit" approach.

7007179

Oh, trust me, Celestia knew that Skeeter would meet Prism Gem when she sent Rye to the prison. All that scrying reveals a great deal to her. She doesn't know the end result just yet, but for now, she's just keeping the right bloodlines strong and following some instructions left to her by a friend. :pinkiehappy:

7007195
After all, when you can teleport to an infinite hallway full of scenes from your subjects past, present, and partial future it makes it really easy to play match maker. I imagine when times were tough financially during the first collapse Tia pulled a Voltaire and rigged a lottery to be self won instead of raise taxes.
Lawful Good, not Lawful Nice.

7007179 Very true, excellent observation. Thank you for reminding me of those facts.

Will I be spoilered for this if I read The Chase?

7274582

No. Not really, no.

7274588 Well then, I'm off to The Chase!

Wait...

Did the picture change?
Because if it it did, I like it.
If it didn't, I still like it.

7365657 Gun powder or black powder doesn't explode, it burns. If you pour out a pile of it on the table and light it on fire, it just burns quickly. It works in guns and cannons because when it is ignited it burns quickly and expels a lot of gas, that gas pushes the bullet down the barrel, hence no explosion. The only way to get a explosion is when you seal the black powder in a air tight container then ignite it, it would then burn because it has its own oxidizer and make gas, the gas would quickly build up pressure until the container is unable to hold it and it fails catastrophically and explodes outward. What he did with the lock would not have exploded because there is a keyhole to let the gases out, and no pressure would be built up. To make the lock explode the character would need to block up the keyhole and seal in the black powder so the pressure would make it pop.

I agree about the lock, it would be one of the old timey padlocks.

7365612 In order to have a breach or backfire in a gun it would need a breach. They are using what would be called muzzleloader guns, hence no breach. It was common practice during the muzzleloaded days to use strange ammunition, like rock salt, gravel, nails, and even coins were used. You are right, there have been times when things blocked up the barrel and pressure would build up until the barrel blows open in its weakest point. In a muzzleloader the weakest point is at the nipple if it is a percussion cap or at the pan with a flintlock.

7366219

and thusly my job here is done, I can escape the poisonous EVERYTHING.

7366743 Well I couldn't let a comment like that about our big island go unhindered!:pinkiehappy:

7365933 Stuff wadding in the keyhole and slide the cover back across it.

7365612 true enough though im pretty sure they arent using any kind of choke. It would make reloading a muzle loader fucking terrible. Hell alot of barrels had the cone on the end just to make loading not terrible. Though since reading this i further discovered that some boat crews would take the cheap cut lead shot and cut it down into long slivers of lead (similar to a headless nail) it reduced the likely hood of shooting through a wall during a boarding action. Sure it did less damage but while the enemy is freaking out because of the dozen or so fucking spikes in em you coukd just move in and shank em.

WHAT! NO MORE CHAPTERS?! dang... off to read the chase

7378076 There nails everywhere!

7395571 when Rye kill the griffon captain

7395621

yea, umm.. I cringed a bit.

7395664 really? I was trying to catch my breath.

If he was going to be remembered as a murderous psychopath, he was going to be remembered as a kind, generous murderous psychopath.

Um.

chief among them was little sky blue foals with rainbow manes and tails.

:pinkiegasp:

Man, pegasus courtship rituals are strange.
lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/-Ub_hj2i2wuQ8i8ErbhFSdq_rS9qwCoxN0ItVVQL8V6lR6SMB3Y5-3XKve3EeP0A9zWaeiCUv8AzB2keM8cOcXlhsac=w506-h285-n

I'm confused - it's been 31 weeks since the last chapter, yet it says 'incomplete' and definitely feels incomplete. I just started reading this in the last few days, since I wanted to read this 100k+ word story before starting the 2.3 million word story.

Is there going to be more chapters?

Either way I've definitely enjoyed this adventure so far.

Need more on this story. New chapters soon plz

I do hope you will get back to this story soon. I enjoyed it alot. :coolphoto:

DAMN! I think I am all caught up on all of Kudzu's stories again from Chase, Catch, AND Weed 'Verse!! T__________________T

7897831 you replyed to a lot of people

8044855 now that I am looking at it again I see I messed it up.

It makes me sad that I know that there are many stallions that would actually do that to a foal

it probably should go like this.

It makes me sad that I know that there are stallions that would actually do that to a foal

-dropping the "many", though it's not necessary to do it.

If you don't mind me asking, when will this or Can'terlot be getting updated again? I've been greatly enjoying both these stories.

Hopefully we'll get to see more of this amazing story some day

Which story do I need to read first: This one or The Chase?

How is there a sequel if this is Incomplete?

I am le sad.
Like Firefly, this great story has ended too soon, and just when it was getting really good.

Hopefully, someday, kudzuhaiku will find time to get back and either continue it, or give it a Serenity to wrap it up.

So does it continue over to the chase or does it just cut off

What I wouldn’t give to see this continue...

Man, I really wish I could find out the end of this story...

If you aren't going to continue it, could you at least register it canceled?

Login or register to comment