• Published 11th May 2014
  • 8,260 Views, 140 Comments

Five Days - Sir Hat



I was the first human to come to Equestria, and I will be the first to die here. My name is Able, and in five days I will die, leaving behind a filly that looks to me for everything. These are my last days.

  • ...
34
 140
 8,260

Day Five: The Box

Author's Note:

Be sure to follow me for more content!

"Mark it."

"Time of death...three-nineteen."

"Do...do you want someone to see you home? Ma'am...ma'am?"

)-(

I walked sullenly away from the hospital, my world shattered in seconds. My life torn off track mere months after getting some semblance of normalcy. All I had left now was a house, a broken family, and memories. But I had to stay strong, I needed to, for him.

I did my best not to cry in public, utterly failing and garnering the attention of half the town as I walked home. I was tired, so tired, I missed him carrying me, I missed his touch, his voice. But he was gone, forever, and no amount of crying or sadness would bring him back.

I could only move on. Only walk away and try to live with his lessons. Kindness, tolerance, forethought and strength. But it was going to be hard. It was going to be traumatic. And without him, I'm not sure if I can do it.

"Hello there." A grey maned stallion walked over with a mail carrier's outfit. "Silver Spoon? Of course you are, here." The stallion pulled a large box from his side and plopped it down in front of me. "I suggest you take that inside, quickly." The stallion trotted off dapperly, making me resent him for his joyful pose.

I simply stared at the box, looking it over. It was just a plain cardboard box, no stickers, no address. I debated leaving the box, but eventually I started pushing the box towards my house. People started to stared, someone eventually offering to help me. I hesitantly accepted, walking with the mare towards my house.

The walk was horridly quiet, no words exchanged during the walk. I just waited until we reached my house, the mare unloaded the box from her back and walked off. I opened my door to a loud yell and a vase shattering in another room. I did my best to ignore it and started pulling the box open.

The tape came off easily, revealing a stack of papers and a few sealed envelopes. I slowly sorted through the strange documents, eventually running my hoof along something hard. I fished it from the depths of paper forms, pulling out a small wrapped frame.

I tore the wrapping away, revealing a pair of photos pressed against each other. I pulled them apart, one a simple white card behind glass. "Be Strong Little Filly." In raised black letters. I felt a horrid surge of pain striking my gut. I curled around the photo and pressed my forehead against the box.

Another loud bang rang out over my sobs. "You cheating bitch! It was some human, wasn't it!?"

I ignored my parents yelling, setting down the frame and moving on. The next picture was yet more pain concealed by glass. A picture I had no idea existed, of Able cradling me. My laughing face punching through my heart and filling my eyes once again. We looked so happy, so calm. It hurt so bad to see him so happy. My mind flashed to his gaunt and ghastly form, slowly fading away in that hospital bed.

I rocked left and right with the picture against my chest. An ear shattering scream sounded another bout of fighting. "Well maybe if you ever touched me, but apparently you're a colt cuddler!"

I set the pictures down and moved on to the sealed letter.

)-(

Silver. I know I've said everything I could have. I'll be blunt with this. There's enough money in this box to get you through college. Paid for by the government and a small trust I set up before my sickness. There's a small house on the edge of town, I had all my things moved there, it's yours.

I set up the bills to be paid for by the trust. You're the only one who can get anything in or out of it, okay?

I know how hard it was for you, I know how hard it's going to be without me. But I know you can do it, you just need a little help is all.

That's all it took little filly, a little nudge in the right direction.

These files are all copies. The originals are in Canterlot's archives. Now I know you're scared, I know you're lonely, but I think you'll make it.

Be good little filly. I believe in you.

-Able Hendricks

)-(

I curled around the letter, listening as my tears fell on the crisp paper. I could leave. I had an out.

I had a new life waiting for me. And it was all thanks to him.

"Thank you...for everything."

Comments ( 68 )
Yoni #3 · May 13th, 2014 · · 11 ·

Damm you hat!:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry: I want the clop back...

What a tear jerker. Thank you.

Ah, the most beautifull things in life are often the most tragic.

I'm not crying... there's something in both my eyes... :applecry:

Short and simple, but immensely powerful. I'll follow suit. Thank you for this, Hat.

a slow clap is not enough nor manly enough to salute this man

i implore you all to slowly raise your fist in the air with a solemn but proud look on your face

A true tear jerker, i thank you for this.

There goes my heart :fluttercry::fluttercry::heart:
Very well done!

I practically died from the immense amount of feels I felt. :fluttercry:

I can't
I am physically... It's just... I am unable to even... I'm so... It's just so...I am incapable of even... I'm unable to even...
:fluttercry:

Dammit why you gotta do this to me, Hat!:raritydespair::raritycry:

:applejackunsure:I want to say "what a happy ending" with complete honesty, but I'm not sure how it'll be received.
:unsuresweetie:I guess... good job? jorb? jeaoeoarb?

If anyone heard that...that was the sound of my heart falling to pieces.:fluttercry::applecry::raritycry::raritydespair:

Well I finally found an appropriate use for this...
derpicdn.net/img/2013/10/18/450963/large.jpeg

Gotta love these bittersweet stories.

How am I supposed to have feels with all these funny comments.:rainbowlaugh:

That was beautiful, I love it. And what's worse/better is that immediately after reading it, James Blunt's "Goodbye My Lover" played on my radio.

i need mooooore.....

4398187
There is no more...he's dead.

Try this.

If there ever was an extra chapter for Sliver Spoon I can hear her singing this song.

After all, Able was more of a Father to her then her biological one. So she'll fly on his wings from heaven.

:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry: gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa im so sad!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this was beautiful! i loved this story!!!! gaaaa, not a happy ending either!!!! Thank you for this amazing fanfic!!! until next time PEACEEEE!!!!

I wonder if there will be a prequel explaining how he arrived in Equestria and how humans started coming en mass.

I kind of want a sequel about Silver Spoon...

Holy shit, I...

:fluttercry: So beautiful

Discord is right; this doesn't make sense.

Nearly every atom in his body would have been replaced by Equestrian ones after a few months of eating, drinking, and breathing Equestrian matter.

Metabolism, ya know?

(Science ruins everything with facts.) :twistnerd::trollestia:

When I saw Vicious Animal was a prequel I headed over here. I find that it's always best to read stories in the order they were written.

My god, you can do incredible things to a tear duct.

But what I find most impressive is how you managed to bring hope forth from Able's death. A lot of author's either don't do it, or don't do it well.

4482665 the death of every single human is immune to magic contrived plot; the very science they claim is the reason they are immune.
i know that this is NOT a human immune to magic thing but still a point i want to bring up.

4483877
4482665

They are not immune, and at some point during the transfer from one earth to Equestria, to another earth in, Vicious Animal, will have really fucked up his molecular structure, leading to deformities and in the end, his death.

4483900 so basically magic is giving him cancer?

and i just stated i know he is not magic immune just bringing that up. a lot of people who try to write humans as immune to magic caquse from another dimension kinda forget about metabolism.

4483905
It's not so much giving him cancer, as it's effecting his internals enough to create deformities that cause cancer.

In short, it's not the direct cause, but it leads to it.

But it's not really so much cancer, as it is a separation from the electrical impulses that make up magic and the "soul" from the living tissue of the body. Which leads to shutdown of vital organs, and eventual death.

4483900 Uhm... yeah, but in that case he would have died almost instantly.

Seriously, you can't screw around with fundamental biochemical physiology and hope to last more than a few hours.

If even the air was composed of a material with different properties than our world, he would have suffocated in under a minute.

To survive for any reasonable length of time in Equestria, the basic laws governing particle physics and electrochemical interactions must be identical to our universe (as well as the chemistry of the food, air, and water. He'd die if their food was composed of different stereoisomers of amino acids or different animo acids altogether, some of which could be lethally poisonous to Earth life), with additional laws governing the energies of magic.


Simply put, interdimensional travel tends to be rather instantly fatal in most circumstances. :twilightoops:

Comment posted by Lickthemsoftly11 deleted Jun 4th, 2014

4492777
That's what I did....:rainbowkiss:

wait so im gonna jump into reading this....but it says its a sequel to vicious animal....but that inst even finished yet. would i be confused if i still read it before that one? and will feel worse after im done? :fluttercry:

Dude great story loved it

He died just like my grandfather, he passed away in his bed not feeling a thing you made me relive that moment, of utter dispair and loneliness, but i salute to you, sir because you made me feel something. Something i thought i wasnt capable of.

You bastard.
I almost - almost - leaked pure manliness.

...Congratulations, you are the second author to have gotten me so close to liquid pride.

:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

*cough* LOOK SOMEONE IS CRYING AND IT TOTALLY WASN'T ME!!!

F*** this is depressing. Well written, but god damn I had a lump in my throat and tears welling up the entire time. It will go on record however, that I did not cry, I welled up, I did not cry.

Login or register to comment