• Published 20th Apr 2014
  • 4,518 Views, 51 Comments

Lilies - Starlight Shadow



How a lily that still had yet to bloom met the tree she would lean on for years to come.

  • ...
9
 51
 4,518

"I-I'm Fleur."

Fleur sat alone against the wall, fighting tears.

She'd always been a more bookish sort of girl, hiding in the corner of the library behind her textbooks and extra credit work. The Canterlot social scene was her mortal enemy, during her parents' parties she would retreat to her room with the cat and a romance novel.

And it was all coming back to bite her in the flank. Hard.

Now she was relegated to a folding chair near the punch table, watching the other girls show off their boyfriends to one another. She felt sorry for the boys, herded around like sheep.

She never had a problem with being single. The only times she really wanted a boyfriend were when she was at the school dances, which she wouldn't have gone to at all if she wasn't forced to by her mother, who insisted she be more social.

In her romances, the heroine always started out as an under-loved teenage girl like her. Maybe, just maybe...

She nipped the fantasy in the bud before she got her hopes up too much.

She rested her head in her lap and let the tears flow, letting herself slowly burn out. Just let it out, then she could put her facade of too-cool-for-this boredom back up until it was time for them to leave.

"Hello, there."

She jumped. A stallion had walked up next to her without her noticing. White coat, blue mane and tail, three crowns for a cutie mark. She stared up at him with watery eyes.

"Aren't you going to tell me your name?" A smile twinkled in his eyes.

Fleur continued to stare open-mouthed until she realized he had asked her a question. "Oh, um, I-I'm Fleur. Fleur de lis."

"Fleur de lis. That's a lovely name." A real smile graced his features and made Fleur blush. "I'm Fancy Pants. Just call me Fancy, though. I find the name incredibly dusty."

Fleur raised a hoof to her mouth to hide her giggles. "I like your name."

"By the way, your mascara is running." He gestured to the area around her eyes, where her makeup had indeed ran all over. Her blush darkened, and she withdrew a small handkerchief from her tiny handbag, swiping awkwardly below her eyes.

"Does that look better?"

He laughed. "You know, you're rather pretty without it." Fleur's blush was full-on red now instead of pink. He thought she was actually pretty. As in pleasing to the eye.

"You're...rather handsome too." They both stared at each other for a moment that felt like a minute, both hearts racing in an awkward staccato beat. Eventually both their ears pricked when the music changed to a slower instrumental song. He took her by the foreleg and raised her up, Fleur being too bewildered by the special treatment to object.

"Shall we dance?"

"I...um...I..." Fleur was frozen. She wanted to dance, really...

Except she didn't know how.

"Is something the matter?" Fancy looked genuinely concerned.

"No, it's okay, it's just...I've never danced." Her eyes darted around the room like those of a scared deer.

"Then, I'll teach you." He placed a foreleg across her back, gently guiding her in a slow circle in time to the music. It felt nice, dancing with him. He was strong yet gentle, and they barely noticed when Fleur tripped up. She felt graceful, beautiful even, in his presence. The rest of the world began to fade to a blur.

Eventually the song ended, and they stopped dancing as a peppier song took the stage. Fleur adjusted her glasses self-consciously as she noticed a few other girls giving her odd looks. She and Fancy slowly retreated back to the corner where they were previously talking.

"I've seen you in the library before." Fancy mentioned off-handedly. "What do you like to read, other than schoolbooks?"

"I like Neighponese manga." Fleur said, pushing up her glasses again. "It's kind of hard to follow if you pick up the fifth or sixth in the series, so it's best to start from the beginning..." She was surprised at how easy it was to talk to him. With his relaxed demeanor and casual tone, Fleur could tell he wasn't one to judge. He didn't even seem to notice the smirks and odd looks that were shot at the dork and the socialite. Fleur liked that. She was easily sucked into the popularity game.

"Fleur?"

"Hm?" She glanced at her new acquaintance. "Sorry. I was just thinking...you're so easy to talk to. And you're so famous in the elite circles...I have to say, I'm surprised."

He laughed. "I'm doing my best to distance myself from the other elitist putzes. I think I'm doing a good job."

They both laughed. They continued talking about everything under the sun, from books to magic to the Canterlot elite circles. He was beginning to feel less like an acquaintance and more like a friend.

Eventually, to Fleur's dismay, the dance had to end, and the students were shepherded out to their waiting parents. Talk and laughter filled the air as Fleur returned to her parents, who had some questions for her.

"We saw you walk out with some colt. Who was he? What was his name?" Her mother inquired as they made their way back to the carriage.

"His name was Fancy Pants." Fleur answered, catching a last glance of him before slinging herself into the gilded vehicle.

"And? Do you like him?" A sly smile teased at the corners of her father's mouth.

Fleur thought for a few minutes. "I don't know if I like him, like him, but he's definitely very nice. And I admire him. A lot."

Comments ( 51 )

Dawwwww, so cute:scootangel:

You're going to make me have a heart attack if you keep coming up with cute stories.

Loved it! Kinda matches my headcanon for Fleur, only more dorky.

I wish you didn't use "boy" and "girl" so much in the beginning. Made me have to recheck the tags.
Also there was this:

"Does that look better?" He laughed.

You should add the "He laughed" to the next paragraph, as to make sure the reader knows it's Fleur talking and not Fancy

Also, might I suggest Nipponyese? It's a more subtle pun than the one you use.

I like. I like a lot. This is, in my opinion, much more interesting characterization than the somewhat snobby Fleur I sometimes run across. My one minor criticism is you don't really need to tell us how a character is feeling if they say that's how they're feeling shortly thereafter.

A fine read. :twilightsmile: I rather enjoy stories with Fleur.

A recommendation; don't link songs within the text of a story. It is tantamount to admitting that you don't feel capable of establishing a mood without an external, helping force. I find it discouraging normally when an author does this, especially if the story is carrying itself up to that point (which this story was doing rather splendidly). To me it shows a lack of confidence in ones own work. The Author's Note is the place to put links to music along with your thoughts on how the song is appropriate for you, the author, as it relates to the scene. In the case of this story I was imagining something like Nocturne in E-flat major Op.9 No.2, not... well, the linked song. :twilightblush:

That said, do what you feel best and most comfortable when writing. :twilightsmile:

And then later she became super pretty. I would've went up to any of those cliched "I'm better then you because I'm pretty" highschool bitches and been like,

IT CAN'T END THERE! IT JUST CAN'T! :raritydespair:

You are a terrible person. Ending the story here is a crime most foul.

I . . . I want more. :fluttercry:

Beautiful. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. That's all there is to it. Beautiful
And up thumb and a star

SFC

Anyone who knows my habits understands that I am, indeed, a massive pile of shit. I was going to use some bait to get some downvotes, but I've realised how awesome this story is. Instead of being a massive douchenozzle, I've decided to do this.

Good job.

TL;DR: Story was tits, bro.

4269014 I got a positive comment from you?!

I will never doubt my writing abilities ever again.

It was cute, yes....but this story lacks...substance. You wrote a very, very short story for one that could have been giving so much more detail. Perhaps a certain incident that had induced her crying? Certainly a longer conversation at the very least.

My basic interpretation is "unpopular girl meets popular boy and they become friends" and there's really nothing else there.

This story was cute, and made me smile.

I love Fleur x Fancy , Flancy if you will. The back story on them need to be fleshed out in general. I think this couple needs some more love. I also always thought Fleur was in Cadences circles... But that's up to the author... The most interesting was her as the Prench Ambasador in Myths ans Birthrights . I over all want wot thank your for giving these two ponies love.

I swear every single story I've ever had an idea for already exists... like seriously a Fancy Pants meets Fleur story was the most recent idea I came up with!

4274995 You and me both.

4275234
I want to make a story about Rarity killing ponies, I find 3 vastly superior ones. I want to write about Sombra making a come back, I find entire novels dedicated to that! I try writing a simple Rarijack skypirate story... too bad that exists also!

4275265 I've never read a killer Rarity fic, you should write one. Everyone is writing Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon gone straight stories, but I was like
"Why the heck not!?" And I'm writing one right now. :twilightsmile:

very simple and short, but very, very good.

Make more episode of their freindship and relationshipe, it could be a good work :rainbowdetermined2:

4274995 4275234 4275265 So, by that logic, I should be happy that I beat the trend on stories about Fancy and Fleur's first meeting by almost a year?

More seriousy, I would write the idea anyway, because who knows how much people will like it regardless of its originality (as I constantly discover)?

4277311
Well once again I might actually have to get into writing fanfiction... probably not...

Awww, this was adorable!

Wow! This is amazing! I would really like a continuation, if you're up to the challenge.

Again, great work!:pinkiehappy:

4277311 Agreed, it's not the trend, it's how you play it into the story.

this is teribal this deserves more then just a one shot but a whole 13 ch story line

Aw, I really liked this. I'm usually never into Fleur/Fancy stories because I've just never had interest in the characters, but I certainly wouldn't mind reading more of this

#ReasonsIlovefancypants

This was amazing. Thank you for writing it.

also ending y u end thar

That was a sweet piece.:twilightsmile:
thanks for writing it.

Gentlemen, take note-
That is how you write a short shipfic.
PERIOD.

I find short stories are tough to write. I think this is great. It can stand alone or be made larger if you like. Well done.

Well, that makes three. Three of your stories I find myself compelled to read.

Real beauty of a story ya got here. :twilightsmile:

That was really good. I liked it. :twilightsmile:

I want this to be continued!!!!!!!

Umm...continue please?

She rested her head in her lap and let the tears flow

Wait, how does that work? :rainbowhuh:

I like this take on Fleur! I might have to look into her character a bit more!

fleur-de-lis reminds me of myself :ajsmug:
like allot :applejackunsure:
like allot allot :ajbemused:

in high school i never gave a crap about being in a relationship :raritydespair: what
i never went to dances felt like a waste of time to me :raritycry: why
and i would read manga in the library during lunch almost every day :raritydespair: he's hopeless
but i have always liked romance if i came across it by chance :duck: well maybe not

i read the megaman battle network manga first :pinkiesmile: it's pretty sweet
then deathnote :pinkiesad2: fantastic but dam dose feels
then full metal alchemist :yay: and it's amazing
and lastly the original naruto mange and now im in the middle of the new stuff :twilightsheepish: there's so much

i had a fun time makeing this comment :trollestia:

Another good story. It made me laugh, as well as reminisce on some old memories I haven't thought about in years. I thank you for that. :twilightsmile:

4308629
Well, horses are probably flexible enough but I think it's a typo. If not it certainly conveys a certain humour when imagined

...where's the rest of it?

Hmm, nice story. Here's my small Review on it.

If you would like more reviews, you could submit your stories in this group within my folder for review.

The popular male showing genuine kindness to the unpopular girl? I can see this turning into a multi-chapter story, but it's still good on its own. Very well done. :raritywink:

Aww, this was a very cute fic. Great Job!:rainbowkiss:

chapter 2!!!! Hurry :heart::heart:

D'awwwwwwwwwwwww I love it:heart::heart::heart:

This was very lovely. Good work!

I love how you made fleur kinda dorky. :raritywink:

This story took place in 1993
But in 1995 fancypants got shot in the eye by BRONY USA
In 1996 BRONY USA was declare a hero In cloudsdale academy

Login or register to comment