• Published 21st Dec 2020
  • 1,109 Views, 30 Comments

The Call Of The Forest - The Sleepless Beholder



Sunset invites Wallflower to Equestria so they may find a way to confess each other’s feelings, but their little vacation takes an unexpected turn when Wallflower feels something calling her to the Everfree Forest.

  • ...
4
 30
 1,109

Epilogue: The Friends Of The Forest

After hearing about what Sunset and Wallflower found in the heart of the Everfree Forest, Twilight and her friends made several trips to study the large tree and give company to Wallflower’s counterpart, which Pinkie Pie named Treeflower.
However, when the discovery was made public, it wasn’t only them who made visits. Ponies from Ponyville and other nearby towns started to enter the forest so they could see Treeflower, leaving her gifts and keeping her company. Soon, large groups of creatures from all over Equestria started to pilgrimage to the forest so they could pay respects to the mare in the tree.
Zecora started a small business being a guide for the visitors, and soon noticed that the Timberwolves disappeared from the forest, and the Poison Joke had stopped growing as the sick trees and soil healed, even when Pinkie Pie went to check on the Mirror Pool, she only found a dry hole on the ground.
TreeHugger used one of the clearings in the forest to start an herbalist shop, and Fluttershy, with the support and founding of Celestia, started a campaign to tame or otherwise relocate the dangerous creatures that remained in the forest.

In just a few months, the Everfree changed from a creepy, cursed forest, to a beautiful landmark that Princess Luna declared it to be a national treasure.

But everything changed when King Sombra returned. It had destroyed the Tree of Harmony and trapped the main six in a cell of dark crystal, gloating about his future victory.

“With you out of the way, I will rule all of Equestria!” the king claimed as he looked at the six mares from outside the crystal cell he had made.

“No!” Twilight shouted, desperate to find a way to escape their prison.

“Oh, yes. And I think I know exactly where I'll sta–” Sombra was suddenly yanked away, letting out an annoyed grunt.

Twilight and her friends moved to try and see who had come to their rescue, but they could only hear wood creaking and muffled protests until everything went silent.

“Hello?” Twilight asked, trying to see what had happened with Sombra.

A figure slowly raised her head enough to be seen, and the alicorn’s jaw dropped.

In front of them was a mare made of wood, her body covered in light green moss like if were her coat, and her green mane had small leaves growing all over it.
The mare smiled at them, her eyes always closed, and lifted one of her forelegs. From near the tip of her hoof, three thin branches started to grow rapidly, forming letters that gave the message:

“Hello New Friends!”

Author's Note:

Should I make a sequel about Treeflower's reintegration to society?


Comments ( 18 )

Okay, so what the fudge is with this ship? And I thought Sunlight was built on thin ice. This one makes even less sense than Sunset and Sci Twi as a thing.

Just thought I'd ask while I still remember.

10591563
Don't know what to tell you. I just find them adorable as a couple and I love the stories about them that I've read.

Yay!! The story is finally up!! Congrats! :twilightsmile:

you should do a sequel

Haha Love the ending! :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

“Hello New Friends!”

I am wallflower

I hope you all enjoyed this story. It's a project that weirdly started with this story by TCC56 (go watch his work), which gave me the start of this idea that transformed into one of my most passionate works, and my second try at a romance story.

...Wow. Well, uh, not sure what to say at that. It's incredibly flattering (and I'm not even the top tier for SunFlower writers!) and unexpected. Just, well, thank you. Thank you very much.

As for the story itself: I like a lot of the little details along the way. Trixie having the connection to Wallflower is something I always like seeing; despite her role in Forgotten Friendship she's rarely associated with Wally. And they do have an interesting dynamic going on. The idea of Wally being able to heal the Everfree also does make sense - it's definitely her bailiwick and she's right. The right TLC and you can go a long way to helping a plant turn from near death to healthy. I'll admit I expected Wallflower to meet her counterpart in the forest there, though not in that way.

All in all? A fun read, a good hook for a possible future piece and again - thank you.

10592535
Hey, you don't need to be top tier to inspire people, some of your stories I consider the most unique or interesting I've read, so you're top tier for me.

I do have a future story planned involving Trixie and Wally, but with my usual unexpectedness. I do think they could be good friends and have an interesting dynamic.

When I started to thinking what Wally's cutie mark would mean, it occurred to me that it would be very fitting to her "redemption" that not only she could tend gardens but also bring them back to heal with little love and care, just like it was given to her at the end of Forgotten Friendship.

I knew from the start that people would figure out that Wally was being called by herself, so I banked in the surprise of how she would find her.

I'm so glad you liked it, I really wanted this story to be good for people that enjoy this couple as much as I do.

Keep doing your best work!

10593369
Would this happen to include a sequel? Because I want to see plant/pony Wallflower make friends in Equestria. And I like the way she talks using plants to make words it reminds me of a story I read where Vinyl Scratch makes magical letters floating in the air.

10593726
I also want to write that, so it's very probable that it will get a sequel.

Yeah I read something smiliar with a pony that could make words appear on her body. I honestly always found adorable when characters find ways to comunicate in some magical way.

This was quite the ride. So many of the plot points/details you included here were unique—in a good way. Trixie and Wally being friends is something I've never seen before, but really want to see more of now. That conversation in the wagon (although maybe it is a trailer here?) was a great way to show Wally's side of things.

Wally being a blankflank when she came through the portal was unexpected, as was her getting a second cutiemark at the end, but both of these things tie in well with her journey throughout the story. Both in terms of her learning about her special talent, and in her and Sunset working through their feelings. Was not expecting Treeflower, but nice use of her in the epilogue. The art of her is super cute too!

I think you nailed the Sunset/Wally dynamic well here. Both their feelings and hesitance felt real. The flashback was something I was not expecting, but it felt appropriate for both Sunset's guilt and how ruthless she was back then. I think you incorporated the heavier subject pretty well.

Also, the idea of Wallflower doing Sunset's homework for her because Sunset was fresh through the mirror and literally didn't know how to write was super clever. There's lots of little details in the story like that... Things that had me scratching my head and going, "Damn, why didn't I think of that?" So... kudos! :ajsmug:

As far as constructive critique goes, the story is a bit rough around the edges in terms of grammar. I saw a couple instances of "hearth" instead of "heart," for example. However, none of this was too egregious as to distract me from the story and/or dampen my enjoyment of it. Could have used a few more editing passes is all. The only other thing is that some scenes felt a bit rushed or like they could have been described better, like when Sunset was being eaten by the giant flower. I think this story could have been a little longer without bogging down the pacing. Just a bit more room to let certain scenes breathe.

All in all, a great SunFlower story and a fantastic use of pony Wallflower. An easy fave for sure! :twilightsmile:

10627700

Trixie and Wally being friends is something I've never seen before, but really want to see more of now. That conversation in the wagon (although maybe it is a trailer here?) was a great way to show Wally's side of things.

I have another story for the future involving them, and I also like their interactions. Trixie's overconfidence and brash honesty pairs well with Wally.
And yeah, I put it as trailer in this world

Wally being a blankflank when she came through the portal was unexpected, as was her getting a second cutiemark at the end, but both of these things tie in well with her journey throughout the story

I was on the fence about the second cutie mark for a while, since I always felt like Wally's design after the movie was more fitting to her growth as a character instead of staying with the old persona forever (in the form of her "canon" cutie mark).

Was not expecting Treeflower, but nice use of her in the epilogue. The art of her is super cute too!

Thank you! I knew readers would expect Wally finding pony Wally in some way, so I hoped the end would take them by surprise.

I think you nailed the Sunset/Wally dynamic well here. Both their feelings and hesitance felt real.

That makes me happy, since you, Scampy, and I-A-M do amazing jobs with them, and I always feel like I generaly do a very different version of Wallflower in my stories. More "positive" so to speak.

The flashback was something I was not expecting, but it felt appropriate for both Sunset's guilt and how ruthless she was back then. I think you incorporated the heavier subject pretty well.

Yeah, I always felt that for Wally to hate Sunset to that extent, there had to be some dark past between them.

There's lots of little details in the story like that... Things that had me scratching my head and going, "Damn, why didn't I think of that?"

When I want to write a character I don't have much experince with, I go to the wiki and look for the little details, because they are both more likely to not be generally used, and because they have room to expand upon. The Wally does Sunset's homework started because it's how Wally say's they met in the movie, so I built the scene from there.

The only other thing is that some scenes felt a bit rushed or like they could have been described better

This and the grammar are bacuase of my lack of English. I'm doing better but haven't grasp enough yet. Also, in my particular case, I kind of get bored with most overlong descriptions when I read stories, and again, the lack of vocabulary doesn't let me paint an image well.

I think this story could have been a little longer without bogging down the pacing. Just a bit more room to let certain scenes breathe.

This is something that seems to come up in many of my stories, but I genuinly can't seem to notice. Maybe it's becasue of the previous point you made.

All in all, a great SunFlower story and a fantastic use of pony Wallflower. An easy fave for sure! :twilightsmile:

Thank you! I'm happy you liked it, and if you wna't, I made another SunFlower story not long ago. A bit less polished and short, but you may end up enjoying it. Till Death Do Us Part

10627761

I have another story for the future involving them, and I also like their interactions. Trixie's overconfidence and brash honesty pairs well with Wally.

Agreed! I'll be on the lookout for that story in the future then. :twilightsmile:

That makes me happy, since you, Scampy, and I-A-M do amazing jobs with them, and I always feel like I generaly do a very different version of Wallflower in my stories. More "positive" so to speak.

I'm extremely flattered to be included in the same breath as Scampy and I-A-M, because they both write SunFlower way better than I do, LOL. (Scampy is the SunFlower queen.) I would agree that Wallflower is a little different here (I see what you mean about this portrayal being more "positive"), but she's still recognizable as the Wallflower from both canon and fanon.

When I want to write a character I don't have much experince with, I go to the wiki and look for the little details, because they are both more likely to not be generally used, and because they have room to expand upon. The Wally does Sunset's homework started because it's how Wally say's they met in the movie, so I built the scene from there.

That's very clever. I love when authors do stuff like that!

This and the grammar are bacuase of my lack of English. I'm doing better but haven't grasp enough yet. Also, in my particular case, I kind of get bored with most overlong descriptions when I read stories, and again, the lack of vocabulary doesn't let me paint an image well.

Oh, I didn't realize English wasn't your first language. You definitely have a good general grasp of it. Like I said, most of the stuff I noticed were small mistakes, not things that made the story unreadable. Both grammar and description are things that just take time and practice.

This is something that seems to come up in many of my stories, but I genuinly can't seem to notice. Maybe it's becasue of the previous point you made.

Possibly. We can only write in the same style we like to read, really. Plus, I can't even speak a second language, much less write fiction in one, so there's an added layer of difficulty there.

I'll give your other SunFlower story a read at some point, thanks!

Have a review. I hope I've been helpful. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or follow up.

Fascinating concept, but it's definitely rushed in spots and incredibly sappy in others. Not that the latter is always a bad thing, but the emotional journey went as quickly as the physical one. Still, an engaging and intense adventure. All told, quite enjoyable, even if I have a lot of questions. Thank you for it.

10851365
Yep, not of my best works, but learned a lot from it. My next attempt worked a lot better.

I don't know...

Turning her into a theme park seems kinda wrong :rainbowhuh:

I’d absolutely be down for a sequel to this. It was a wonderfully clever little romp.

Login or register to comment