• Published 29th May 2020
  • 2,276 Views, 167 Comments

Sunset Glimmer - Ninjadeadbeard

  • ...
1
 167
 2,276

Epilogue - Family

Trixie Lulamoon was supposed to let everypony know when she was within one-hundred feet of the Cutie Map Table. It was even a Royal Decree, signed into law mere days after Twilight’s latest coronation. It was a new record. Even Celestia and Luna had waited a month before they were fed up enough to temporarily ban Chancellor Puddinghead from Canterlot.

Even then, that was only so they could eat something without processed sugar for a change.

The Alarm spell, that was supposed to keep Trixie honest about her restraining order, had been bypassed, no doubt by a Great and Powerful magician, as she was now standing before the map itself, directly across from Twilight Sparkle’s throne.

And who, of all the beings of the multiverse, should be sitting in that throne just then, than the Spirit of Harmony herself?

The two beings stared at one another. Harmony, with a look that bordered on disdain. Trixie, with a proud bearing only marginally damaged by the sight of a day-old foal nomming on her mane while perched atop Trixie’s Great and Powerful withers.

Celeste Lulamoon completely missed the high-stakes staring contest going on around her. The gray unicorn filly was just happy to be with her momma.

Harmony, it would appear, broke first.

“I am… a little impressed, Interloper,” she said, “I’m not sure how you were able to summon me here.”

“A magician never reveals her secrets.” Trixie turned back to the foal on her back, and added, “Lesson one.”

Celeste looked up, a long strand of Trixie’s mane caught in her mouth as she happily chewed away.

“I see,” Harmony sighed, then glanced around the room, “I don’t suppose you’re here for any particular reason…?”

“Trixie has been busy the last day or so,” the self-named mare said, “And I’ve been left out of the loop. So… Trixie is told that you were the one who sent Sunshine back in time?”

“That’s not what happened,” Harmony shook her head, and slipped into an academic tone, “I merely allowed…”

“A likely story!” Trixie shouted, with Celeste mimicking her movements, pointed hoof and all, “And why, praytell, did you need to send a baby back in time!?”

The Spirit blinked a few times. Then, she frowned.

“If you would let me explain, the entire space-time…”

“Enough questions!” Trixie declared, cutting off Harmony yet again, “What’s done, is done!”

“Yes, that’s…” Harmony was having a hard time focusing for a moment, and briefly wondered why, “That’s how Time works, Trixie.”

“Excuse moi?” Trixie glared, though this was again undone somewhat by the baby nibbling on the end of her ear, “But who here has actually time-traveled?”

Harmony, despite not needed lungs, took a slow breath.

“Technically, I exist at all points of space and time, so…”

“Exactly!” Trixie shouted, standing now on her hindlegs in a grand, audience-pleasing gesture, “Me!”

The blue unicorn came back down to all fours, and took just a moment to look back, and make sure her baby was still atop her back. Finding the foal still giggling and holding tight, Trixie turned back towards the Spirit.

“But, that’s not what I’m here for tonight.”

Harmony could feel… something pressing down at her temples. She wasn’t aware she could get a migraine, but it would appear Trixie was pushing new grounds.

“… Yes?” she sighed.

“I have come here to ask you some questions,” Trixie declared, taking a seat in Applejack’s throne and settling little Celeste on her lap as she did so, “Pressing questions…”

The Spirit of Harmony groaned. It didn’t want to be here, suffering the indignity of dealing with Trixie. And she certainly didn’t like seeing somepony who lied as much as Trixie did, as a force of habit, and almost always to herself, sitting on Honesty’s throne.

I can feel it shivering from here, she thought, bitterly.

“Ask your questions.”

Trixie smirked, and Harmony could almost swear, the baby was too…

“Very well, Spirit of Harmony… if that is your real name…”

The pressure behind Harmony’s horn was building, and she didn’t like it.

Trixie clearly didn’t notice.

“… when were you born?”

Harmony’s ears twitched. The Spirit tilted her head to one side, and frowned.

“I… don’t understand the question. I was not born, but…”

“Bwha!” Celeste huffed in her mother’s lap, and scowled.

“Exactly,” Trixie leaned over and pecked Celeste on her brow, “You’re dodging the question.”

“… Are you taking counsel from a baby…?”

“That doesn’t sound like an answer,” Trixie said in a mocking, sing-song tone.

Harmony was surprised, and not pleasantly, to realize she had hackles. And they were standing up.

She rubbed her temple again, and said, “I… suppose the Tree of Harmony was planted over one-thousand years ago, by...”

“And who planted the original Tree of Harmony?” Trixie pointed an accusatory hoof at the Spirit.

Harmony could feel it’s eyes beginning to pulse with the pressure of having to deal with Trixie in such close proximity, and she was pretty sure she didn’t actually have eyes with which to even feel.

“The Pillars of Equestria planted aspects of their nature and their magic into the ground,” she said, though through clenched teeth, “And, following Twilight Sparkle’s ascension, I…”

“So!” Trixie stood up suddenly, Celeste bobbing in her magical aura, tiny hooves reaching for more mane to chew, “You admit it!”

“Admit… what? What!?” Harmony tried, again, to take in a deep, cleansing breath… only to have it rush out through her nose in a snort, “Trixie! How are you doing this!? I am the Serene Spirit of Harmony! How am I getting this angry!?

Trixie smirked, and looked down.

Celeste… didn’t smirk back, but she did finally get ahold of a lock of Trixie’s mane, and so was contented anyway.

“Why,” Trixie placed a hoof over her heart, “Trixie did not mean to cause you any consternation. I was only trying to ascertain whether or not you knew who your father was.”

Harmony, still fuming, glared across the table.

“I… have three fathers, technically,” she said, slowly, so as not to melt the table.

Trixie nodded, and said, “So then, technically… Starswirl’s your father?”

“Yes, Trixie,” Harmony snarled, “Starswirl is…”

The Spirit’s eyes widened.

“Oh… oh, good Gods above and below… no…”

Trixie nuzzled her daughter, seemingly oblivious to the way Harmony suddenly went completely rigid.

“You hear that, Celeste?”

The baby cooed.

“That’s right!” Trixie hefted her child up, and turned her around to face what was becoming a shivering, sweating Harmony.

“You have a step-sister!”

Harmony’s lips drew into a tight line. Her right eye twitched. Her feathers… were falling out.

“But…” she licked her lips, and tried to speak, “But… if Starswirl is like my… and you married… and had a… then we… then… you…”

“Shhh!” Trixie shushed the Spirit, gently, “It’s alright. I know that this can be an emotional moment.”

Harmony looked up at the showpony. Her ethereal mane was starting to fray at the ends.

Trixie smiled.

“You can call me Mom. I don’t mind.”

By the way that Harmony’s face contorted in that moment, Trixie knew she’d hit something quite sensitive, and so took a few steps away from what was about to become an epicenter.

The Spirit threw back her head, and let loose a scream. A scream that bypassed the laws and nature of sound. A howling pain that could never be healed. It roared across time and space, and could be heard at both the beginning, and end of time.

And then, with a sound identical to an overstuffed paper bag exploding, she popped out of existence entirely, leaving behind little more than a crackle of dissipating light.

Trixie… did not smile. In fact, the look on her face suddenly fell away entirely, leaving behind the sort of expression ponies would give a pile of trash in the middle of the road.

That’s for hurting my Bestie,” she hissed. Then, she picked up her baby and, setting Celeste on her withers, she started trotting out of the throne room.

Celeste, not used to ponies… exploding, tugged at her mother’s ears until Trixie tilted her head back. Then, the little filly gave her mother a curious, questioning look.

“Ah, don’t worry about it, kid!” she shrugged, and proudly high-stepped down the hall, “She’s not dead. Harmony’s just evaporated into the magical ether. She’ll be fine! And when she wakes up, maybe she’ll pick up some better manners before…”

Trixie stepped directly on the Alarm spell meant to maintain the magical restraining order on her, suddenly filling the whole castle… and Ponyville beyond with sirens and bells and enough flashing lights to shame a Manehattan dance-party.

Celeste, naturally, began cheering at the sight, and tried to join in on her wobbly foal-legs.

Trixie, on the other hoof, simply sighed, and started working on her alibi.

“The things I do for family…”

Author's Note:

A very special shoutout and thank you to my wonderful friend and editor, Toriandthehorse. I couldn't have done any of this without you.

Comments ( 39 )
TCC56 #1 · Jul 3rd, 2020 · · ·

That’s for hurting my Bestie,” she hissed.

Trixie you wonderful insane genius idiot.

Daaaang! Trixie just outplayed Harmony. That is just insane and glorious. XD

So, when does Trixie become a draconequus? Discord should reward such exquisite trolling somehow, and he may not even have a say in the matter given Trixie's apparent mastery over the forces of disharmony.

In any case, excellent work from start to finish, even if the path from one to the other is anything but straightforward. Thank you for it.

This is Trixie at her best. Using her unparallel power of irritating ponies beyond the laws of comprehension to do whatever she thinks is fair or she deserves.

10314734
This contradictory statement is perfectly correct.

This is so majestic that I could only smile like a dork to the screen.

Trixie is the best, now and always

This was a good way to end it.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to the comments. Real life shenanigans can, on get in the way of a perfectly nice session of basking in the warm and fuzzies. Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, and let me know what they thought of this story. It's been a bit of a passion project, and I'm overjoyed at the response it's gotten. Thank you. :heart:

10314827
I think that's the best way anyone could phrase it. Thank you.

10314868
10315116
Ah, come on guys... now you're making me choke up. And I already was doing that while writing the thing... :fluttercry:

10314902
New story idea: Pinkie Pie has to invent real cake-flavored ice cream before Celestia burns the human world to the ground... :pinkiecrazy:

10314978
It's a shame we'll never get an EqG special of the girls thwarting a crazed cult-leader and reforming her into being their friend.

10314734
10314839
10314874
10314915
10314926
10315130
10315189
Did any of you really doubt Trixie!? The Great and Powerful!? SHAME! SHAAAAME! :trixieshiftright:

10324276
A little. I think it's an interesting idea, but this story still hurt my heart in the best way. I cried.

Finished and really liked this.
I was at work and used TTS, AND EVEN THE VOICE was emotional, I swear.

✌🏽❤

10355023
Thank you so much for taking the time to review! Was there anything specific you liked/disliked or just noticed?

So... is this a direct sequel? Or a spin off type sequel to midnight days?

“Why,” Trixie placed a hoof over her heart, “Trixie did not mean to cause you any consternation. I was only trying to ascertain whether or not you knew who your father was.”

She technically has three

“I… have three fathers, technically,” she said, slowly, so as not to melt the table.

Nevermind this answered my same question

10375478
That was from Trixie. Off-panel, as it were.

I’m very happy that you seem to be enjoying the story!

Me: *laughing my head off at the end*

10408849
Well, you can leave a sad story crying, d'aw-ing, or laughing. I'm glad you seemed to enjoy that! How did the rest of it grab you? :twilightsmile:

10408890
I don't know, I'd have to reread it, and my Bionicle OC would approve of Trixie's actions as he has a friend that can manipulate space-time and remove someone from it and mentions his friends origin in front of others for the lulz and as expected, his friend gets annoyed, (Kratus is a troll when he wants to be while acknowledging he's one and proud of it.)

10408933
That's... a very specific comparison :rainbowlaugh:.

Well, glad I gave you a laugh at the end!

10408972
How he usually does it.

"Good to see you old friend or should I say... your higness." *recieves glare* (his friend gave up being a prince when he became a god)

I can't wait for Time's End whenever that will be.

Before the following quote: "Why is Trixie wanting answers? She just feeling out of the loop?"

“And who planted the original Tree of Harmony?” Trixie pointed an accusatory hoof at the Spirit.

After the preceding quote: "Ohhhh... heh. Heehee. Hahahahaha! :rainbowlaugh:"

The sense of inevitability oozing off of the story as I read along made me wonder how you were going to end it without feeling like I predicted the resolution already (because dealing with time travel done properly and going out of your way to avoid paradoxes is very finicky in a story). But I think that's where the prose stands out and tugging the emotional heartstrings differently for each character in focus (especially in Chapter 5 where you slam section breaks everywhere with Sunset and slow down the pace significantly for that emotional torque).

You somehow obeyed the laws of physics and made it a very compelling story with great lessons to learn from. Thank you for this heartwarming story!

Oh, and Trixie at the end: that's actually pretty cool because I thought she was just doing it to showboat, but knowing the real reason behind it...

1. This ending was hilarious.
2. I cried alot during chapter five, mostly from Sunset and Celestias interactions in the past.
3.I Cried some more.
4.Crying in Chapter 6 even more.
5. Heart melted in Chapter 6 aswell.
6.Also I would pay money for more Momlestia and Starmom.

10678271
Very true, though in Starlight’s case it wasn’t up to her, and she just had her child with her. Kinda emotional timing, you know?

10678291
Celestia isn’t infallible. She knows that more than anypony else.

10678325
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m happy I made you cry. :twilightsheepish:

I would love to do some more Momlestia stuff in the near future. I should try to figure out a way to work it into my big EG story. It’s too comfy not to.

10678735
thanks for the responses, id love to see more momlestia stuff from you, there is a lack of it on the site tbh. Also yeah agreed on celestia not being infallible, I wasn't trying to say that but it still made me Hella sad. I loved the story chief ur a great author.

Hello, a review to your story has been posted. I hope you find it helpful! :raritywink:

This should have far more views and likes. It was well written, enjoyable, and plausible! I too always felt that Starlight got off waaaaaaay too easy for nearly breaking the universe and possibly creating/destroying alternate time lines. Well done. And Trixie breaking Harmony's brain... The cherry on top.

10831982
Well, thank you for saying such nice things! I should probably try advertising this one again. It really is one of my favorite stories to have written.

wlep need some water to replace all the tears RIGHT IN THE FEELS

10900406
Get some gatorade. You need to replace your electrolytes.

Also, well it sounds weird I’m glad I made you cry. Hope the rest of your day goes better. :rainbowlaugh:

“Admit… what? What !?” Harmony tried, again, to take in a deep, cleansing breath… only to have it rush out through her nose in a snort, “ Trixie ! How are you doing this!? I am the Serene Spirit of Harmony ! How am I getting this angry!? ”

Pretty sure that's something only you can answer. :applejackunsure:

The Spirit threw back her head, and let loose a scream. A scream that bypassed the laws and nature of sound. A howling pain that could never be healed. It roared across time and space, and could be heard at both the beginning, and end of time.

I feel sorry for her now. :fluttershysad:

Ngl, I was a bit worried I wouldn't like this story after reading it I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would. Great job! :twilightsmile:

Years after his passing, and Ninja still manages a way to make my day better.

What a ride, man. I never knew mixing [Comedy] and [Sad] was possible, you you found a way to make it happen. Everything about this, from the initial set-up to the crushing sadness to the Starburst romance to the memory to the absolute genius that is Trixie, its all flows together seamlessly.

This was magnificent. Truly wish I had the had gotten the chance to tell that to Ninja himself.

Login or register to comment