• Published 3rd Oct 2019
  • 1,020 Views, 96 Comments

The Only Tree in the Forest - Hap



Old things die to make room for the new. That is the way of the world. But me? I watch the world grow old.

  • ...
2
 96
 1,020

Chapter 25

Today, a mare stands in front of me. A magic one, with the wide eyes and impatient energy of youth. The tall pony reminded me of myself after I was burned; this one reminds me of myself before that. I can smell her on this little one.

A very long time ago, as a sapling with only a few leaves, I wondered what it would be like to need someone. Looking back, it seems that I had needed someone, and she needed me. I was catharsis for her, and she for me. We did not speak, but we shared much. More than I knew.

And now I see this filly – this sapling the color of lavenders and indigo – standing at my threshold and looking up at me.

As old as I am, I have lacked foresight. This filly steps inside me and I hear her gasp.

As large as I am, I have lacked scope. Books fly off my shelves, and I am filled with a warmth I have not felt since the tall pony burned like the sun inside of me. I am a place for her. She needs me, and I understand now that I have always needed someone.

As wise as I like to think I am, I have lacked joy.

I feel her hooves dance.

Comments ( 34 )

Wonderfull story from a unique viewpoint.
And then came Tirek.....
Maybe the soul of the Oak was somehow merged with the chest of harmony and the new castle that grew for Twilight looks like a tree because of it? After all the elements of harmony normally fix all damages caused, the Oak could not be restored so it was reborn?

Comment posted by Flashgen deleted Oct 24th, 2019

Overall, a beautifully told story. Thank you very much for writing it. :heart:

This story is beautiful. Such a strange concept, such a unique metaphor, and it’s all incredibly good.

Hap

9902454
Thank you for reading it!

Hap

9902498
Thank you! I'm glad you found it different and enjoyable.

A beautiful story without a doubt.

And here it ends. A beautiful Story!
The old oak tree will always be remembered.

Golden Oaks library.
This was a fascinating journey through the life of a character I think all of us took for granted.
And that moment when Twilight gets her first real chance to examine the inside of the tree she would come to know as home.
I admit, I teared up.

A unique story, without a doubt. Enjoyed the snippets of tree biology you included too.

Hap

9906068
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I learned quite a bit about trees myself.

Oh, oh it's complete?
Well, in that case I can say not just about this chapter, but about the story: well done. :)
An interesting concept well executed! Thank you for writing. :)

Hap

9906220
Thank you for reading!

9906291
Heh, you're welcome. :)

Amazing little gem of a story!

And while I hunger for more... I do think that this was the perfect place to end the story :fluttercry:

Hap

9906642
When I first had the idea for the story, I knew exactly where it was going to end. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Wow... great story, it's really very good.^_^

Hap

9935964
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

This was nice. Not the direction i expected it to go, certantly. This is the first Story of its kind I've ever seen on this Website.

I'll have to keep an eye out.

Hap

9941562
Well I'm glad I was able to do something new and unexpected. I hope you find something else you enjoy. Thanks!

9941582
Curiouser and curiouser.

I finally got to read this wonderful little story, and it became one of my favorites. I kinda guessed quite early on what the tree would eventually be, but I didn't let that stop me, it was the journey, not the ending.

Hap

9946499
I'm glad you liked it! I wasn't really trying to keep it a secret who the tree would turn out to be (there's only so many oak trees of note in the series), but it's good to hear that it works whether folks figure it out or not.

Goddamn, dude. This was beautiful. Idk why I waited so long to get around to this one.

This reminds me wonderfully of Dunsany's "Where the Tides Ebb and Flow."

This is one of the best stories I have read on this site.

You made me cry tears err liquid pride.

Great Job!

I dreamt I had blogged a sercon blog, so that egoboo was to be denied me either online or at cons, neither could there be any smofishness for me.

This is such a lovely story! I really enjoyed it, and you made it he unusual narrator work really well.

I feel her hooves dance.

That's a fantastic last line.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

"Gee, Present, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

I'M CRYIN' CUZ TREES ;___;

I actually cried at the end. What a beautiful story

Login or register to comment