• Published 3rd Oct 2019
  • 1,005 Views, 96 Comments

The Only Tree in the Forest - Hap



Old things die to make room for the new. That is the way of the world. But me? I watch the world grow old.

  • ...
2
 96
 1,005

Chapter 10

Today is the day I realized that she wasn’t going to come back any more.

I don’t miss the other trees. They stunted my growth, they starved me of sunlight, and they laughed at my misfortune. I do miss their stories about The Ash.

Once they were gone, I would watch the ponies live their lives in the castle town. And when they in turn had gone, I would let the tall pony sit in my branches and talk to the moon. She would sit in my shade and think next to me, or chatter away like ponies do. I’d only ever seen them talk to each other. I don’t know if she was trying to talk to me, or only to herself. But I miss it.

Now I’m alone. The strange forest in the distance doesn’t seem like company. I feel certain that, should it choose to expand in my direction, the trees would be incapable of conversation. I doubt that they are trees at all. Capricious spirits with the likeness of trees, always shifting and changing when one looks away. Ghosts, perhaps, born of whatever calamity befell the ponies in the castle town.

I can see a new castle near the top of a very tall mountain in the distance. I wonder whether the tall pony is living there. Or perhaps she grew old and died, as ponies do.

I miss her.