• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 3,654 Views, 129 Comments

Pony World Problems - shortskirtsandexplosions



Shining Armor and Flash Sentry attempt to guard Ponyville for a day. "Attempt" being the operative term.

  • ...
7
 129
 3,654

21 Jockey Street

The Royal Crystal train hissed to a stop at the starlit train depot.

Not long after, the side door to the third car slid open. Princess Cadance trotted out, glancing every which way. At last, her eyes brightened. Then, with a girlish grin, she held a hoof over her muzzle. "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!"

"Don't rub it in," Shining grumbled, carrying a dead-tired Flash Sentry slumped over his armored backside. "I'm personally giving him five angry lectures when he wakes up in the morning."

"Shiniiiiing..." Candance pouted, reaching in to ruffle the sleepy pegasus' mane. "You will do no such thiiiiiing."

"Nnnngh..." Shining stifled a yawn and smiled exhaustively. "Okay, so maybe just two and a half angry lectures."

"Heeheehee..."

Shining Armor marched inside, folded a cot out from the cabin's wall, and laid Flash Sentry on his back. He then placed the Lieutenant's helmet on the stallion's chest and folded his fetlocks around it.

"I'd give you a Viccolt Funeral, but you have to be dead before I set you on fire."

"Are we good to go?" Cadance asked.

"We've been good to go long before we got here," Shining said, shuffling across the car and slumping into a sofa with a groan.

Cadance knocked on the door to the engine car. "All good to go!" she exclaimed.

"Yes, Your Majesty!"

The train hissed to life. The outer door shut as the car chugged along.

Cadance glided over and squatted beside Shining on the couch. "Poor thing. You look exhausted." She smiled, reaching over to caress his chin. "Have a prosperous day protecting Ponyville in Twilight's place?"

"Meh."

"Shiniiiing..." Cadance smirked, eyes thin. "I can tell that you've been drinking, and you only drink when you're either sad or getting up the courage to read poetry to me, and I wasn't there. So what happened?"

"Nothing happened," Shining grumbled. "The Lieutenant and I were two bumps on a peaceful, harmonic log."

"Well, isn't it a good thing that you were able to maintain the status quo so easily?"

"What I wouldn't kill to... kill a hydra, at least."

"Huh?"

"Honestly, Cadance..." Shining looked up, eyes dull and melancholic. "How can I compare to the other Sparkle legend?" He shrugged. "Twilight saves the world ten times over and all I can do is march in line."

"Oh, this again?" Cadance rolled her eyes and chuckled. "You know, there was only ever one big, strong, handsome reason why I volunteered to look after the Sparkles' little filly to begin with."

"Mrmmmf..." Shining's eyelids fluttered shut as he sleepily muttered, "Oh yeah?"

"Mmmhmmm..." She leaned in, nuzzling his neck. "Wanna know whyyyy?"

Mmmm... wh-why...?"

"Because it turns out he's sweet... thoughtful... loving... and on top of all that..." She whispered in his ear. "He turned out to be my hero. My knight in shining armor."

"Mmmm..." Shining's lips smiled as the train rolled and rocked along. "For h-his princess..."

"You bet your sweet caboose." She stroked his blue bangs back and kissed him on the lips. "I love you, Shining."

"Mmmm..." He slurred away into slumber. "Love you too, Flash..."

Cadance blinked. She looked at Shining, then broke into an uncontrollable fit of giggles, snuggling him close as the Crystal Express carried them north... and home.

Comments ( 26 )

Gee SS&E, this is, like, your fifth story within the past week or so. How do you find the time to write all of this!? :applejackconfused:

I like this version of Flash Sentry.

This was good, Skirts. Not a super-fantastic comedy, but I was laughing the whole way through at the references and the character interaction.

Just accept that your place in life is that of a sex toy, Shining.

My word, Flash Sentry is a complete airhead. But at least SS&E had the good sense to make him a likeable airhead.

Also, I understood all of those chapter titles. I have watched too many action movies.

All's well that ends well.

This was a fun read. Shining and rest of the guard really are like the army in most superhero movies, only there to emphasize the value of the real heroes(alicorns, elements of harmony). Well in positive note, it works out as a glorified boys' club to get away from the mares every now and then.

The school house scene and them getting drunk were golden, so funny scenes.

How do you write 15,000 words so quickly.... And manage to make me laugh so hard :rainbowlaugh:

5156121 It's Ponyville, they rebuild quickly.

Best possible ending. Right there.

"Mmmm..." He slurred away into slumber. "Love you too, Flash..."

...My new OTP, everybrony! :rainbowwild:

Apple Bomb

I knew that Big Mac was up up to no good... If your tail is in a twist over dragons, keep in mind your ruler has the ability to drop a solar flare, , and gryphons... laser pointer:pinkiecrazy:

Ok so Ponyvillians are Weird, crazy and oblivious.. seems to fit! The flower trio clearly faked the whole spider thing just to get "Fuzzy Muzzle Nuzzles" from Flash

This was fun.

I've always thought it would be odd to be a stallion in Equestria. A land where most of the leaders and heroes are female. And here we have Shining, overshadowed by his wife and his sister. But I guess women in our world have been going through the same thing for thousands of years, so turnabout's fair play.

To my (admittedly flawed) recollection, this is the first time you've really given Shining a major role, so that was nice. And I continue to approve of your use of Flash (I especially like this doofus-y but likable and well-meaning version of him).

What a beautiful story. Poor Flash though.

Poor flash, Twi could have at least looked. Great story!

5163529 Actually, this is how I imagine canon Flash. Sweet, but dumb as a post. After all, people assume that he's just ditsy around Twilight, but we have no proof. We never see him outside of Twilight.

So I see him as a male Derpy.

So I support the ship.

Like Fedex.

Another great read from Skirts. I love how you write Flash, man. Soooo awesome! :rainbowkiss:

*totally adds to Faves*

Well done, another very enjoyable story.

I...think I recognise all of the chapter titles.
:trixieshiftright:

Explosions, your stories shall always be awesomesauce! :yay: This actually makes me like Flash Sentry.

This was a great read. And this is definitely how Flash Sentry should be written! He was an important, good character, and that's because he wasn't created for the sole purpose of being a love int-

"Mmmm..." He slurred away into slumber. "Love you too, Flash..."

...oh. So he still only exists to be a love interest. But, this time for Shining... this works quite well, actually. Carry on.

This was a great little read. Something I much enjoyed while feeling sick one evening. :pinkiesick:

The best bromance story I ever read

Surprised there wasn’t a chapter called Marevalley Hills Trot (Beverly Hills Cop) with all these old classics.

Flash tells the best foal school stories, fav chapter there.

Must be tough being a stallion guard in a world of overpowered friendship cannons.

We need more flower trio shenanigans, love those three fuzzy muzzle nuzzle loving mares. Zombie pones that devour you with fuzzy nuzzles. My goodness, the HORROR!

Login or register to comment