• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 14,778 Views, 1,995 Comments

Heart Invasion 101 - FamousLastWords



Spike gets a job with the town's local DJ as her assistant. After spending time together, they become fast friends, and quickly begin to realize they have a lot more in common than just music.

  • ...
60
 1,995
 14,778

Heart Invasion 101

Spike tried to crack open his left eye, but the swelling did its job and kept it shut. He reached his one good arm over to grab his cup of water from the bedside table and took a few sips to wash away the taste of blood from his mouth.

“Oh… this sucks so bad.”

He heard the door to his room crack open, revealing Twilight.

“Hey, Spike. How are you feeling?” she asked, approaching him. “Any better?”

Spike chuckled and motioned toward his bruised and bandaged body. “Well, I can officially move my left leg now, so that’s a plus.”

Twilight laughed and lightly nudged him with her hoof. “Well, nobody ever said being a hero was easy.”

“Yeah, yeah, I guess. But I didn’t know it’d be this painful.” He groaned slightly as he stretched to put his water back on the table. Twilight quickly intervened and set it back for him.

“Well, Spike, I have some good news, if that’s any consolation,” she said.

“Oh yeah? And what might that be?”

“You have a visitor,” she said with a smile.

“Oh dear sweet Celestia, if it’s Pinkie, ask her to save the party for next week when I’m mobile again. I’m not exactly up for visitors right now.” He frowned and sunk his head into his pillow.

“Oh, I think you’ll want to make an exception,” Twilight said with a wink before turning back to the door. “Alright, c’mon in! He’s ready.”

Spike moaned and looked up to have his eyes greeted by a familiar sight

“Vinyl?”

“I think I’ll just leave you two alone,” Twilight said with a wink as she backed out the door.

“Hey, Spike,” Vinyl said, slowly approaching him. “How are you doing?”

Spike laughed lightly. “I’ve been better.”

“Heh, I imagine,” she said. “Modem got you pretty good, huh?”

“Yeah… you know, you could’ve mentioned he was a martial arts expert before I stepped in to save the day,” Spike said. “That could’ve saved us both some trouble.”

“I tried,” she said sitting next to him on the bed. “But, I know you would’ve saved me anyway.”

Without another word, she planted a light kiss on his cheek and nuzzled him. A muffled groan escaped from his lips.

“Ah, okay, that kind of hurt. In a good way, though.”

Vinyl pulled back and chuckled. “Sorry, but I just couldn’t help myself. You know how these moments are. Anyway, thank you, Spike.”

Spike tried his best to ignore the blushing on his cheeks and play it cool, but it was to no avail. “Hehe… no problem, Vinyl. A little bodily injury was more than worth stopping that guy from hurting you like that. And I’d do it any day, any time.”

“I know you would.”

Spike gulped down a breath of air. “So, Vinyl, about the whole thing with Flitter. I promise, it wasn’t—”

Vinyl cut him off with a hoof to his mouth. “Twilight explained everything. And besides, they call it the past for a reason. What matters is right now, and what we do toward the future. You feel me?”

Spike tried to continue, but instead relaxed beneath her touch and nodded in agreement. “Yeah, I feel you. Quite literally at the moment.”

“And that’s what’s important.”

Vinyl couldn’t help but to smile as she looked at him. She’d been searching a long time for the perfect stallion for her. But somehow, someway, that perfect stallion ended up being the perfect dragon instead.

She rested her head up against his. “Hey, Spike?”

Spike turned his head toward her. “Yeah, Vinyl?”

She motioned her head slightly toward him and whispered in his ear. “I love you.”

There it was. Spike could feel his heart bubble and melt into a horde of butterflies in his chest. Those words. Three simple words, yet they had never sounded better.

He had only one response.

He leaned over and shared a deep kiss with her.

“I love you, too.”

Author's Note:

Wow.

2 years, 50k words and tons of support from all you readers. That's what it took to get this story done.

I can't thank all of you enough for sticking around and reading this thing. It took me awhile, but i'm so grateful to have fans and readers who took a stab with a new story idea like this and read it. YOu all rock!!!!!

Now that it's finally done, expect a lot more stories from me in the future. Thanks so much once again, and I hope you all enjoyed the ride!

Note: I'll be posting a blog thingy featuring all the artwork, music and other fan items this story sparked throughout its run, so stay tuned for that!

Comments ( 125 )

woah! i didn't realize it was 2 years. really? because i know i started reading when it first came up

Comment posted by Fire Feather deleted Dec 2nd, 2015

6610349 HA! Called it!
I'm sad to see it finished, but it's great to finally be done. On to the next!

~Silver Spade

6692173 The world is well once more.

N-No... no you... please tell me you didn't... please tell me you didn't just end it with that trope!

6692183 It's tradition! You gotta roll with it. :scootangel:

6692183 Fun fact, it originally ended with the line "ima eat dat pussy now", but that didn't fly in context with the rest of the story. :rainbowlaugh:

GOOD ENDING! I enjoy this story again :pinkiehappy:

And I was really wrong about Modem getting beat up, so wrong. :facehoof:

6692190 you... you...

*gets out of chair and walks towards bedroom door*

I am so done with shipfics...

*door closes*

6692206 Lol, I laughed so hard writing that part.

6692209 It's like a Nicholas Sparks movie. It's always the same. :derpytongue2:

nicely done man. kind of hard to believe it's been 2 years, but it's the writing process so i don't doubt it. anyway, you do know what the more "obsessive" of your fans are going to demand of you next right? direct sequel. so, better start getting ready with your yes and no for all the questions.

6692210 Yeah, but it is a more realistic ending for the average pony joe, not every mane character will when all their fights XD

6692220 So, did you like the story overall?

To favorite or not to favorite, that is the question.

Now you just need to make the sequel and give it a true ending.

6692225 You totally gotta fave it.

6692223 Yeah, over all it was good. Some parts angered me but then I got over it and the end was exactly what I was hoping it would be, you do a good job at messing with emotions XD

6692228 I agree completely :pinkiehappy:

6692226 Already in the works. It won't be the same style of story, though, because that would just be ludicrous to mimic the same story. But there will be plenty more Vinyl and Spike antics to enjoy for the future, have no fear.

6692235 *Applauds before grabbing an Exploud from Pokemon to use Uproar for even more applause*

Nice work. Love the story

6692247 Thanks, man. I had a lot of fun writing it.

6692224 but is your mind ready? is it ready to lose some of it's solidness to turn into mush?

I still don't get how anypony is actually supposed to hurt Spike considering how tough he is. I mean sure, he's small so you could rough him up a bit, but actually hurting him?

6692249 I bet you had, and I enjoyed it, though I don't ship it

What a nice end to a great story. Plus, that lead-on from the previous chapter :rainbowlaugh: You pulled our legs with that one...

Martial artist or not the idea a pony could take on a dragon is absolutely ridiculous. A dragon whelp-ling could eviscerate a pony before it go within striking range.

6692323 Maybe he took specialized classes? :twistnerd: But alas, from what we've seen in the show, Spike hasn't been the most intimidating fighter in the show.

Comment posted by MasterBrony Forever deleted Dec 3rd, 2015

6692399 I guess we'll never know... or will we? :moustache:

6692330
6692403
Yet he is older in this story...and even then their is basic instincts like when his greed took over.

6692408 Very true, but it all comes down to the fact he was willing to do whatever it took to save Vinyl.

6692413 Good point, though I would still like to see Modem gets at least a good blast of magic or a good punch to his face.

6692416 You honestly think Twilight's gonna let him get away with what he did? I bet she's got a nice array of spells waiting to turn him into dust.

What a sweet way to close things out on this tale. It was a highly enjoyable ride from start to finish, and I'm sure it was more so for you than it was for any of us. Good writing, Famous. You've done well.

Now you just need to sell your soul and start churning out sequels like Shrek and Ice Age! :trollestia:

6692330 Even though Spike doesn't exhibit many of the traits dragons in 99% of all other fantasy exhibit, he still breathes fire. You're telling me that ANY pony is going to take a face full of fire breath and not immediately die or go down for the count?

6692431 True, but maybe he forgot to use it? Either way, he saved the girl he loved and I'm sure he'll get back at Modem soon. Maybe he'll have a face full of fire waiting for him, then.

6692438 Who just forgets that they can breathe fire? Would you forget you could breathe fire if you could breathe fire?

6692446 Well, I forgot how to walk this morning. I went to go get some cereal this morning and collapsed on my way to my bedroom door. Then again, I'm probably not the best example. :twilightsheepish:

6692452 Hah... Famous last words eh? *ba dum tsh*

YOu all rock

1. Extra capitalisation:trollestia:

Not bad. It bothers me a little that Vinyl was complaining about not getting an explanation when she didn't give him a chance to previously. Although that is something that happens in reality.


6692431 If you saw a dragon, taking a deep breath and pointing his mouth in your direction, would you stand there and let him finish? Wouldn't make more sense to either hit him in the jaw so he's not facing you or in the stomach to knock the air from his lungs? I'm pretty sure that Modem would think of the same thing, especially since Spike needs time to do that, which would kind of telegraph what he was planning to someone who knows how to fight.

A good enough end to a great fic. Keep up the good work.

Heh, I had heard of this fic before, but I despised romances at the time (Started liking the genre because of the fic "How to raise your moon"), so I didn't even think of reading it, but those days, just a little before the "Flitter's revelation/lie" chapter, and I think it was for the best, I HATE when fics update one chapter each 4 months, this one probably would have been deleted from my tracking list.
Anyway, cool fic! Never saw any fic shipping Vinyl with anyone other than Octavia (and vice-versa), and the other spike ships I read before were with the pricesses, the mane 6, Sweetie Belle and Zecora, it was a good change :twilightsmile:
Well, better stop before this comment gets any bigger :rainbowlaugh:

nice story bro you rock the world

Login or register to comment