• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 14,767 Views, 1,995 Comments

Heart Invasion 101 - FamousLastWords



Spike gets a job with the town's local DJ as her assistant. After spending time together, they become fast friends, and quickly begin to realize they have a lot more in common than just music.

  • ...
60
 1,995
 14,767

Awkward Conversation Pt. 3: Rises

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay. Work and stuff just makes updating regularly impossible. Plus I moved, so I have a whole new slew of responsibilities.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to push out a little something for you all.

Vinyl swatted a strand from her sweat-drenched mane out of her eyes.

Alright, if two trains leave... Forty miles per hour.. Spike is stuck on thirty mile track marker...

"Umm,it's take me 12 minutes to stop the train and untie him. Am I right?"

"Hmm," Twilight casually sipped her tea. "Under ordinary circumstances, you'd be correct. But these aren't ordinary circumstances, are they?"

Vinyl sunk into her seat. "I guess not?"

"You see, you failed to remember that I said these were Cobalt trains. Cobalt trains never exceed thirty-five miles per hour due to flimsy build issues and poor track funding. The fact you were on a train going forty miles per hour means you were not even on the same track as Spike, let alone in a position to save his life. Congratulations, Ms. Scratch, you've killed Spike for the third time throughout this conversation."

A trick question. Of course, what else should she expect from this hellish conversation.

"Oh, sorry Princess Twilight. I just, you know, didn't think all the details through."

"I can tell," she said with a brief chuckle before resuming her tea drinking.

I need to get outta here.

Vinyl casually rose from her seat. "Uhh, no disrespect ma'am, but I think I really have to be going. It's getting late and I have some stuff I need to do at the store and... Stuff."

"Are you sure? Didn't you wanna wait around for Spike?"

"Nah, its cool. I'm sure I'll see him around town or on the job." She cautiously made her way over to the front door trying to avoid direct eye contact with Twilight. "Either way, it was nice getting to know you a bit more and all that jazz, so see ya around, bye!"

She quickly leapt out the door and dashed away as fast possible.

*****

Twilight stared blankly for a moment at the door where Vinyl was standing a mere second ago.

"Huh, she lasted an entire ten minutes longer than his last marefriend. Not bad."

With that, she groaned and made her way back to the study. A mountain of paperwork would be her only company for the rest of the day.

*****

"So, that's when the two monster dragons just ripped the poor guy in half! It was like crrchhh!" Spike make a motion with his claws, followed quickly by Rarity hiding her face behind her hooves.

"Oh dear Celestia, Spike, how can you stand to watch those movies?"

"Meh, it's an acquired taste," Spike said with a shrug. "I'm totally making you watch it with me sometime, by the way."

"Ugh, fine. But you can't get cross with me if I scream every five seconds. I don't take horror movies so well."

"Deal "

*knock knock knock*

"Goodness, doesn't anyone know what 'Closed' means around here? Could you get the door please, Spike?"

"Sure thing."

Spike hopped off his spot on the couch and made his way over to the door. He quickly opened it and prepared his rejection statement, but was quickly silenced by a fierce hug.

"Spike, thank God I found you!"

It took Spike a brief moment to recover and identify the mare who saw fit to strangle him.

"Oh, its uh, nice to see you too, Vinyl."

Vinyl released him from her grasp and let out a deep breath

"Is something wrong?" Spike asked.

"You have no idea of the hell I just went through."

"Oh, uh, alright then. You wanna come inside and talk about it?"

Spike stepped aside to let Vinyl past him and inside the Boutique.

“Hey, Rarity, we have company!”


*****

“Let me put it this way: I had an easier time when my speaker blew out while playing a show at Trotarusa fest last year.” Vinyl slouched back into the sofa next to Spike and let out a sigh.

“Hehe, you had it easy,” Spike replied. “One time when I tried to bring a girl over Twilight made her read and sign a chastity charter guaranteeing she wouldn’t give me any STD’s. I never saw her again.”

“Yes, take it from those of us who have known Twilight for some time, she has a very unique way of dealing with other ponies.” Rarity and Spike chuckled in unison.

“Yeah, that’s one way of putting it,” Spike said.

“Either way, that was stressful. It was like being in school all over again, but this time the teacher was an overbearing alicorn with godlike power.”

“Psh, you should try living with her sometime,” Spike said with a chuckle. “Anyway, other than having your sanity put into question by Twilight, how has your day been going?”

“Meh, not bad. I got kicked out of the music shoppe because of some nosy customers, so I’m kind of just trying to kill time right now. You?”

“Meh, just taking care of the invalid,” Spike said gesturing toward Rarity’s bandaged hoof. “She hurt herself and of course I had to come to the rescue.”

“Ouch,” Vinyl said. “How’d that happen.”

“Ahem, uh, freak accident,” Rarity said, cheeks turning red. “It’d take much too long to explain.”

“But yeah, so I’ve just been hanging over here today taking care of her.”

“And I do so appreciate it, Spikey.”

“Yeah, yeah, it’s what I do. Anywho, we were actually thinking of watching a movie. If you had nothing better to do, you could join us?”

“Sure thing. I could use some relaxation after what happened earlier,” Vinyl replied.

“Sweet! Oh wait, I should probably ask,” Spike turned to address Rarity. “Yo, Rares, can Vinyl chill with us and watch something?”

“Of course,” Rarity replied with a wink.

“There you have it! You’re the bomb, Rarity.”

****

Spike and Vinyl were huddled together on the floor while Rarity was on the couch, trying her best to not lose her mind.

“So, like, what does he even see in her?” Vinyl asked Spike while munching on some popcorn. “They’ve only known each other for a couple weeks and she’s already slept with like two other stallions.”

“I know. And who the heck proposes after two weeks anyway? Isn’t there some unwritten rule about no callbacks for the first week anyway?” Spike let out a sigh and shook his head.

“Exactly. Oh wait, she’s coming at him with a knife now. This is what I’m talking ab- Oh wait, now their kissing again. Bipolar much?”

“I think she must be tweaking or something,” Spike said with a shrug. “You know, if I were him, I’d just kick her out once and for all.”

“But then there’d be no movie.”

“So? At least it’d make sense.”

“That’s it!” a voice screeched.

The two of them spun around to see Rarity staring at both of them, eyes twitching.

“Both of you, out! I don’t even know what’s happened in the movie so far.”

“Hmph, fine be that way,” Spike said getting up and heading for the exit. “Especially after I made you food, earlier.”

“Heh, sorry, Rarity. See you around town!” Vinyl said, following Spike out.

“So, now what?” Spike asked Vinyl.

“Hmm, we could like go back to my place and watch a real movie that actually makes sense.”

“I like that sound of that. What you have in mind?”

Obscene Axe-Wielders From The 4th Dimension?”

“And this is why you’re the coolest mare on the planet,” Spike said with an eleated smile.

Vinyl motioned for Spike to jump onto her back and then she took off to her home.

“Let’s do this!”