• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 14,775 Views, 1,995 Comments

Heart Invasion 101 - FamousLastWords



Spike gets a job with the town's local DJ as her assistant. After spending time together, they become fast friends, and quickly begin to realize they have a lot more in common than just music.

  • ...
60
 1,995
 14,775

Fighting Fire With Fire

Vinyl slowly stirred her coffee, her head slumped against the restaurant table. She had taken a few sips, but not even its warmth could sate the cold feeling she had in the pit of her stomach.

After the show had ended, she decided against hitting up the after parties and instead opted to go to the local sports bar, where she could just drown her sorrows in alcohol and coffee. It seemed like a good plan.

“Stupid Spike, all leaving at the last minute. All by myself.” Vinyl violently stirred around the coffee, splashing bits of it on the table. “Making me cancel the reservations after I waited like, thirty minutes on the phone to get them. How selfish can one dragon be. Ugh... males are all the same”

She continued to spit curses and take her anger out on her beverage for a few more minutes before collapsing her head into her hoof. “I really hope he’s okay… Why didn’t he just tell me what’s wrong? Maybe I moved to fast? Or not fast enough, maybe? Celestia, I don’t know.”

“Relationship problems, huh?”

She looked up to see a pony sitting across from her finishing off the last of a mug of beer before addressing her again.

“I know those all too well. That’s why i seem to spend every night here, these days. Drinking to forget the bad times and remember the good.”

“Heh, yeah, that sounds like a solid plan right about now, to be honest.”

The pony shook his head. “Nah, not as long as you still have someone to go back home to. As long as you got someone in your present, no need to remember them now, is there?”

The pony stood up on wobbly legs and left a few bits on the counter. “The name is Carnegie, by the way. You should stop by my business sometime in downtown Manehattan. Later, stranger!”

Vinyl chuckled as she watched the random pony wander off. She wasn’t exactly sure of what he was talking about, but it cheered her up nonetheless. That was the great thing about Manehattan. There was always somepony nearby willing to take a few shots and tell you there life story, even if it made no sense.

Unfortunately, her mind kept wandering back to her current predicament. The show was a success, sure. But without Spike there with her on stage, she felt like something was missing.

It was exactly like the old saying: You don’t know what you got until it's gone.

She would just have to get to the bottom of whatever happened when she got back.

“I just really hope he’s okay…” She buried her face into the table and let her thoughts wander onto all the worst possibilities of what could be going on.

“Hey, Vinyl. Long time no see!”

Her ears were greeted with a familiar voice. One that didn’t necessarily fill her with joy, either. She looked up to confirm the identity of the speaker, and she was right.

“Hey, Modem. Haven’t seen you since that last show in Manehattan I did. How you been?” To be perfectly honest, she did not care how he had been and she wished he would just leave, but that wasn’t the case, unfortunately.

“I’ve been good. Just a lot of work and hitting up shows. You know, the usual.” The purple pegasus winked and took a seat across from Vinyl. “But, to be honest, I’m more curious about how things are going with you. You seem a little beat up.”

“Yeah well, I’m fine. Just having some coffee before i go back home.” She rolled her eyes and greedily to a sip of her coffee. “So you don’t need to worry about me, alright?”

“Woah, settle down,” he said. “I was just concerned is all. You're usually a bit more, i don’t know, happy looking. Not to mention I didn’t expect you to show up to the show alone.”

That last sentence struck a small chord in Vinyl’s chest, causing her to flinch and her eyes to drop down to the table. “Yeah, I didn’t expect to be alone, either.”

“Yeah, because what happened to that little dragon dude you had with you last time? You know, the one who totally lost it at my party.”

“You mean Spike? Something came up last second and he just couldn’t make it. No biggie, and I’ll see him as soon as i get back home.”

“Oh, I see,” Modem stated. “You two are a thing, huh? And ya’ll had a fight and he didn’t want to come with you. I know the story.”

“No, that’s not it!” Vinyl shouted out, earning a few surprised stares from the nearby ponies. “Just like I said, something came up and he couldn’t come. No big deal.”

“And what, may I ask, was that something?”

“I, uh, I don’t know. I didn’t ask…”

“You didn’t ask or he didn’t tell you?”

“He didn’t tell me. But it’s not like i really pressed him about it or any-”

“It’s another mare.”

Vinyl’s eyes locked onto Modem’s. “What did you say?”

“He probably found somepony else but was too afraid to tell you. All the signs are there.”

“No way. Spike wouldn’t just drop me for somepony else. That’s totally not him.” Vinyl shook her head fiercely and felt a blast of heat building up inside her. It was impossible, wasn’t it?

“Whatever makes you feel better, Vinyl, but I’m just giving you a warning. Try not to be too broken up about, okay? And if you ever want to talk, you know where to find me.”

Without another word, Modem Kicker got up and left the building, a sly grin forming on his face.

In his wake, he left Vinyl on the brink of tears and in a state of confusion.

That’s impossible.There’s no way there could be another mare…

Vinyl slammed her hoof on the table leading to an echoing sound across the restaurant. “I’m going to talk to Spike as soon as I get home and he better have a pretty damn good explanation as to what’s going on!”

With a shake of her head and fierce determination in her eyes, Vinyl shot out of her chair and left. She had a train to make and a dragon to talk to.

Author's Note:

A short but extremely necessary chapter. Why? Wait and see.

Btw, if ya'll can't remember who Modem is (which I don't blame you considering the long hiatus this story took), he was in a previous chapter and got Spike mad drunk at a house party.