• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 14,778 Views, 1,995 Comments

Heart Invasion 101 - FamousLastWords



Spike gets a job with the town's local DJ as her assistant. After spending time together, they become fast friends, and quickly begin to realize they have a lot more in common than just music.

  • ...
60
 1,995
 14,778

Drugs and Clubs

The train bumped and swayed as it flew down the tracks. Spike was used to first class seating, so being squished between the wall and Vinyl was uncomfortable, to say the least.

Vinyl looked over at Spike with a slight frown. “Sorry, Spike. These seats were the best I could do.”

“Yeah, easy for you to say. You got the aisle seat,” Spike teased.

"I'm bigger than you. I need the leg room," Vinyl said with a chuckle.

Spike rolled his eyes and spread his lips into a smile. "Yeah, sure. Whatever you say. Anyway, what time do we play ‘til again?"

"We're scheduled until 10. That means if we catch the midnight train, we should be able to get back to Ponyville around one or so in the morning."

"That late?!" Spike jumped in his seat.

Vinyl looked at him quizzically. "Umm, yes? It’s an hour train ride. Is that a problem?"

Spike let out a sigh. "Twilight tends to freak when I'm out late. It’s not a pretty sight." Spike shuddered. "This could be especially bad considering we're in a different town altogether."

Vinyl rubbed her chin in thought for a moment before responding. "You know, Spike, it's great that you work so hard to please Twilight and stuff, but from what I can tell, your devotion is going a little overboard."

Spike looked up at Vinyl with his head cocked in puzzlement. "What do you mean?"

"Umm, how can I put this? You're an adult as far as age and maturity goes, yet you still let her tell you when you have to be home, who you're hanging out with, and where you're going!" She curled her lips into a small frown. "It's kinda' pathetic, to tell you the truth.."

Spike had been living with Twilight as her assistant for so long, he'd simply gotten used to the routine of doing everything she said.

"You're right. I need to be more independent.”

“Exactly!” Vinyl said, nudging Spike with her hoof. “Now, I’m not saying you need to start a rebellion or anything, but you need to make your own rules, sometimes. Do what you want to do, you feel me?”

Spike rolled the thought over in his head for a moment. “It would be nice to be able to leave the library and come back home without an interrogation.”

Vinyl put on a small smile for the dragon. “Definitely. You deserve to be able to make your own choices about stuff.”

“You’re right! I’ll talk to Twilight about it tomorrow.” Spike took a large breath of air. “I’m not sure how she’ll react, though. She tends to overreact sometimes.” He grimaced slightly and slumped into his seat.

“Yeah, that could make things difficult. But hey, I’ve got your back if you need any help, alright?” She sent him a wink and a cool smile.

“Thanks, Vinyl,” Spike said with a smile. “Anyway, back to the business at hoof. What exactly should I expect at the place we’re playing at?”

“You know, usual city club stuff,” Vinyl said nonchalantly.

“Like?”

“Nothing special. Alcohol, drugs, and a bunch of horny mares.”

Spike’s jaw slacked. “Are you serious?”

“Yep. It’s city life, man. You get used to it pretty fast.” Vinyl let out a small laugh before continuing, “I suppose I should warn you though; expect to get hit on by a bunch of drunk mares.”

“Oh, I’m liking this better and better by the second,” Spike teased.

Vinyl casted a soft gaze at Spike. “Trust me though - those are not the kinds of ponies you wanna waste your time on. It’ll be nothing but trouble.”

Spike rubbed his shoulder awkwardly. “Geez, I was just joking.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Vinyl replied. “I’ve just seen far too many friends throw their lives away with stupid ponies. It sucks.”

Spike could sense that it was a touchy subject. There was no sense of humour in her voice, rather, it was laced with a tinge of sadness.

“Well, I’ll make sure to keep that in mind then,” Spike said with a sweet smile. “Anywho, how many ponies do you think will be there?”

“Well, the place is usually pretty packed. I’d say close to 150 or so. It gets pretty wild.”

Spike painted a mental picture of how it was going to be. Awesome music, ponies dancing from wall to wall cheering for him and Vinyl - it sounded exciting!

“Speaking of which,” Vinyl stated, interrupting his thoughts, “was Rarity gonna be there tonight? I remember she said she was gonna try to make it”

Spike turned his gaze down to the floor. “No, she couldn’t make it.”

Vinyl chuckled to herself, giving Spike a small grin. “Sorry, Spike. But from what I can tell, this won’t be her ideal hangout spot anyway.”

“Ha, you got that right. I’m amazed she even offered to come in the first place,” Spike said.

“You have really awesome friends, Spike. You should consider yourself lucky. Especially considering I’m one of them now.” Vinyl nudged him with her hoof, eliciting a smile from both of them.

The train came to a sudden stop, causing the two friends to turn their attention to the front of the car where an attendant was standing.

“All wishing to exit at Manehatten Stop #104, please exit the train now.”

“Welp, here we are!”

The two exited the train and took in their surroundings, stretching out after the long ride.

“The club is just a couple blocks from here. You ready to party?” Vinyl asked with a wink.

“Definitely!” Spike said, barely able to contain his excitement.

“Then let’s go!” She levitated Spike onto her back, and the two made their way to the club they were going to be playing at.



As they approached the bar, Spike could hear the music blaring through the front doors.

“Sounds like the opening artist already has the crowd warmed up for us,” Vinyl said with a smile.

As soon as Vinyl opened the door, Spike was hit with the smell of alcohol, cigarette smoke, and something else he couldn’t place.

“Hey, Vinyl. What’s that smell?”

“That would be sweat, alcohol,and weed,” she replied,shouting over the crowd.

“Weed? And they smoke it right in the middle of the club? Isn’t it illegal in Manehatten still?”

“Ha, you have a lot to learn about the city, my friend.”

As the two made their way to the front stage, Spike kept receiving weird looks from all the ponies around them.

With a nod from Vinyl, the DJ on stage stopped his music and exited through the stage doors. Another pony, a brown pegasus stallion, quickly jumped up on stage and grabbed the mic.

“Everybody, let’s hear a round of applause for our first DJ, COCOA ‘SPLOSION!

The crowd stomped their hooves and shouted various cheers at the bidding of the announcer pony.

“Now, please welcome to the stage: Vinyl Scratch and Spike!”

The partners took walked onto the stage, side by side. and waved to the cheering crowd.

Spike instantly felt the burning gaze of the ponies in the crowd scrutinizing him. His knees trembled as he followed Vinyl to their computer setup.

Vinyl could see Spike’s hands shaking and followed his gaze to the sets of eyes staring him down. “Hey, Spike. Don’t worry, they’re just not used to seeing dragons around here.”

Spike simply nodded in reply, taking a deep breath to calm his nerves. “Alright, let’s do this.”

“Cool. I need you to watch the pitch and equalizer. We’re just going to be playing dance music for the crowd tonight, and it’ll be for the next hour. Can you handle that?”

“You know it,” Spike said with a smirk.

On cue, Vinyl began the show with a hard-hitting dubstep track that shook the walls of the room. Spike was busy working the mixing board, increasing the volume, quality, and timing of everything Vinyl played. Together, the two made an unstoppable team, perfectly synchronized with each other, controlling the movement of the crowd one beat at a time.

Spike glanced over the crowd. At least two-hundred ponies were dancing, drinking and having a good time listening to the music he was helping create. His heart warmed and he felt a new energy spring into him. He loved every second of the experience.

Time flew by as the two played for the crowd. Every bass drop was like a breath of air, and every pound of the speakers was like a heartbeat keeping the room alive. The small pauses in between songs was the only chance to escape the grasp of the music and return to the real world, before being sucked back into the musical high.

Spike turned his gaze to the mare a few feet away to see how she was faring, and his heart jumped in his chest.

Maybe it was just the lighting, or maybe it was the music, but she looked absolutely gorgeous. The neon lights reflecting of her sunglasses, the beads of sweat trickling down her face, the way her mane was shining—She was mesmerizing, beautiful, and he couldn’t look away.

Spike was snapped out of his trance when Vinyl looked over at him, a curious smile adorning her face. Blushing furiously, he turned his attention back to the mixing board.

‘What was that about?’ Spike thought. ‘It must be all the alcohol and weed smoke in the air. There’s no way I should feel that way about my boss… Even if she is nice, and cool, and gorgeous, and— Nevermind, I’ll worry about my feelings later. Right now, I need to focus on my job.’

The rest of the show went on without a hitch. At the end of the final song, the entire audience stomped and shouted their praise for the duo, whom took a bow and made their way off the stage to the prep room.

“Awesome job, Spike!” Vinyl said, nudging Spike with her hoof. “We had the crowd on the dance floor the whole time!”

“Thanks! The ponies over here really like to party, huh?”

“Ha, that’s an understatement. Partying is the only thing most of these ponies like to do.” Vinyl levitated two water bottles from the mini-fridge and tossed one over to Spike before taking a seat on the couch. “So, how’d it feel playing in front of such a large crowd?”

“Honestly, it was one of the most invigorating I’ve ever done.” Spike took a sip of his water and took a seat next to Vinyl. “Every time I looked toward the audience, I saw the entire crowd lost in the music. The music that we were playing. I just felt so, so… alive!”

Vinyl cracked a smile and placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Congratulations, Spike. You’re starting to become a real performer.”

“Really?”

“Yep.”

“So, does that mean I’ll be rich and the mares will start throwing themselves at my feet?”

The two broke into a fit of laughter, falling back into the couch.

“Way to ruin the moment, Spike,” Vinyl teased, wiping a tear from her eye.

“Sorry, but I’ve gotta keep my priorities in check.” Spike let out another small bout of laughter but was interrupted by a growling sound coming from his stomach. “Ugh, I’m starving!”

As if on cue, Vinyl’s stomach growled as well. “I second that notion. Do you wanna go grab something to eat?”

“Yeah, that sounds great! Do you have any place in particular you wanna go to?”

“Yeah, there’s a breakfast place one street over we could go to. They’ve got the best waffles you’ll ever eat.”

Spike’s mouth began to water at the thought of food. “Sounds great!”

“Cool. Alright, let’s go get our paycheck and head out.”

The two hopped off the couch and made their way back to the main room. There was another artist playing, and the crowd was cheering strong as ever.

“Hey, Spike, I’m gonna go get the money from the manager’s office,” Vinyl said, pointing toward a door on the other side of the room. “Just chill out here; it’ll only be a minute.”

“Sounds good.” Spike watched as Vinyl weaved and dodged through the crowd, receiving hoof bumps and shouts of praise from some of the ponies.

Spike leaned back against the wall and took in the sounds of the music and the aroma of the club. He closed his eyes, lettting his body relax.

“Hey there!”

Spike’s eyes popped open to reveal a thin, purple pegasus stallion with a stark black mane. “Uh, hello,” Spike replied, eyeing the stranger.

“I saw you play tonight. You really rocked the house man! You’re name’s Spike, right?” he said extending a hoof.

“That’s right,” Spike said, shaking his hoof. “What’s yours?”

“My name’s Modem Kicker. Pleased to meet you, man. You’ve got real talent.”

“Thanks, Modem. But honestly, Vinyl is the mastermind behind everything. I’m just the hired assistant.”

“Eh, whatever works. Besides, if I know Vinyl like I think I do, you have to do all the hard work anyway.” Modem let out a hearty chuckle.

“Wait, you know her?” Spike asked.

“Vinyl? Yeah, we go way back! She’s a fun girl,” he said, adopting a smile. “Anyway, the reason I’m here is I wanted to invite you to a little late night hangout at my place. There’ll be drinks, food - it’ll be fun! Plus, I know a lot of ponies who wouldn’t mind getting to meet you.” He slyly winked at Spike. “It’s not everyday we get a dragon in town.”

Spike pondered the offer for a moment. On one side, it wasn’t everyday he got invited to a party, but on the other, he already had plans with Vinyl.

He shrugged his shoulders, eliciting a frown from Modem. “I don’t know, man. I’ve kinda got plans with Vinyl afterwards. And then we have to catch our train at midnight.”

“Oh come on, man. How about just for a few minutes? You come in, have a couple drinks, say hi to the ladies, then leave and meet up with Vinyl. Sound good?”

Spike wanted to say no, but Modem made a good point. This was a chance to meet some of the cool ponies in town, a chance he may not get again. “Alright, I’ll come just for a little bit. Let me tell Vinyl real quick, though.”

“Awesome!” Modem replied, nudging Spike’s arm. “Just, uh, don’t tell Vinyl that it’s my party. Then she’ll wanna come, and she can’t exactly control herself at parties, if you feel me,” Modem said with a grin. “Anyway, it’s the house right across the street. You’ll know it when you see it.” With that, Modem took off into the crowd.

Spike glanced around, looking for Vinyl, and saw her walking toward him, a big smile adorning her face.

“Spike, guess what?!” she asked, grinning ear to ear.

“What’s that?” he replied.

“It was such a successful night that the owner paid us a good deal extra!” Vinyl levitated a rather sizable pouch of bits from her saddlebag.

“Woah! That’s awesome!” Spike’s mind wandered to all the things he could possibly get with the money he earned.

“Anyway, you ready to go? I’m starving!” Vinyl said.

“Uh, actually, I forgot that I had to see somepony here… about something. So, uh, if you wanna head to the restaurant, I’ll be there right after you!” Spike beamed at her innocently.

She tilted her head in curiosity for a moment, but dismissed it just as quickly. “Uh, yeah. That’s cool, Spike. Just remember, the restaurant is on 25th street, which is one block over, and it’s called The Sloppy Waffle. Got it?”

“Definitely! I’ll be there ASAP,” Spike said with a smile.

After Vinyl left, Spike took his leave as well. Standing outside, he tried to spot the house that he was looking for. It wasn’t long until he noticed it: neon lights, ponies walking in and out, and it was right across the street.

Spike dashed over to it. It was a decent sized brick apartment complex stuck between other similar looking buildings on either side. It definitely fit in with the city scene.

He walked up to the door and found it sitting open. He could instantly smell the strong levels of alcohol and smoke inside.

He gingerly walked in, unsure of what to expect. After a brief walk through the opening hall of the house, he found himself surrounded by ponies in what seemed to be the living room. He took stock of his surroundings: loud music, empty cups and bottles littering the floor, ponies drinking, smoking, and making out in almost every area of the room.

“Maybe this wasn’t the best idea…”, Spike muttered under his breath. He started to slowly back up, hoping nobody would notice him, and he could get out.

“Hey, Spike! My man!”

Spike looked around and recognized the pony he met earlier approaching him.

“Hey, Modem. What’s up?” Spike greeted him with a sheepsh grin.

“Glad you could make it!” Modem stuck out his hoof for a hoof bump. “EVERYPONY! I want you all to welcome Spike! He’s one of the DJ’s from the club, and he’s gonna party with us!”

Spike recieved a wave a drunken cheers and cat calls from the various ponies, and he responded with a shaky wave.

“Now, he’s new to the scene, so how about you show him how Manehatten likes to party!”

Before he could respond, Spike was dragged to a couch by two mares.

“Wow! So, you’re Spike?” one of the mares asked.

“Umm… yes?” Spike said, his voice threatening to break.

“Ooh, I’ve never seen a dragon before. You’re cute!” The other mare said with a suggestive smile.

Spike felt his body shake as the two of them began gently rubbing his scales. He could feel his heart jump at every touch, and his finger trembled as he met their gaze.

Spike rapidly stood up from the couch. “Well, it’s been fun, but I should probably–” He was interrupted as his body was forcefully brought back down to the couch.

“Relax, have a drink!” One of the mares brought a cup up to his lips.

“Yeah, you just got here. Enjoy yourself,” the other responded, cuddling closer to him.

Spike looked at the two mares on him and gingerly took a sip of the drink. “Well, maybe just one wouldn’t hurt…”

Author's Note:

Whelp, here we are! New chapter ahoy. Looks like romance is actually starting to rear it's head now!

Thanks to my usual editing staff, in addition also thanks to LightningBass94 and Gidget_TheGear for making sure it didn't completely suck.