• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 14,775 Views, 1,995 Comments

Heart Invasion 101 - FamousLastWords



Spike gets a job with the town's local DJ as her assistant. After spending time together, they become fast friends, and quickly begin to realize they have a lot more in common than just music.

  • ...
60
 1,995
 14,775

Awkward Conversation Pt. 1: Begins

Author's Note:

Yo, sorry about the delays. Work is killer, so I wanted to give you guys something so you know I'm still alive.

As opposed to writing one big chapter, I'm dividing it into three parts: Begins, Falls, Rises. It solved my issue with PoV, so it's all good in my books.

Life had not been easy for Twilight Sparkle, recently.

Where once she had time for the reading and research of things she enjoyed, she now had to read stacks of proposed ordinances and research the economical effects said ordinances would have.

Where once she could enjoy time with her friends and have fun in town, she now barely had time to say hello, much less spend time with them.

Many things had been weighing on her recently, but one thing trumped them all: the absence of her best friend.

It hadn't been unusual for Spike to venture and try new things in the past, but the emotional distance that had been developing between them was something she just wasn't ready for. All it took was a quick glance at her horribly messy room to realise how much she missed him. She used to be able to wake up every morning to a delicious breakfast he prepared, or to a clean home. Now, he was just not there. And when he was, she could tell life had given him other things to think about.

Twilight sat in front of her desk, coffee mug filled to the brim. To her left, a large stack of papers that needed to be stamped and moved to the right.

Twilight planted her head into her desk, breathing out a deep sigh. "Ugh! Why do we need these financial reports anyway? I mean, we just stamp 'em, sign 'em, throw them in a box that gets stored in town hall never to be seen from again!"

Twilight thrust her hooves in the air and struck them back down on the desk. She lifted her head up and looked around at the lonely room she was in.

She had found herself having more and more of these one-sided tirades recently. If that wasn't a desperate cry for help, then nothing was. She needed a break.

She scooted back from the desk and hopped off her chair. With one last glare toward the paperwork that was the current bane of her existence, she exited the room.

The kitchen seemed like an ideal location to get a break from her work.

*growl*

And apparently her stomach agreed.

"Hmm, I'd say this calls for a daisy sandwich," Twilight said. "Now let me just call Spike in and..."

Twilight could feel her heart sink to the floor. She couldn't go anywhere in her home without remembering him.

"Come now, Twilight. Pull yourself together! This day had to come eventually... The day when he would start asserting his independence.... From you. And find another mare that was more important to him."

It was one thing to say she should deal with it. It was another thing entirely to actually do it. The idea of Spike moving on and maybe even falling in love with another....it was such a foreign feeling. He had his crush on Rarity before, but that eventually evolved into a very close friendship. Then he had his relationship with Flitter, but he broke that off for reasons she still didn't know.

Either way, this time seemed so much different. This time, it actually felt like she could lose her best friend to somepony else. His eyes light up when he talks about her. He smiles for hor hours after spending time with her.

He was just so.. happy.

So why couldn't she feel the same way for him?

Twilight levitated the refrigerator door open and rummaged through its contents. When she found the required ingredients for her daisy sandwich, she slammed the door shut and dropped everything onto the table. She put it all together and was finally ready to enjoy her snack when, of course, life had to intervene.

*knock knock*

With a scowl she dropped her sandwich back to the table.

"I swear, if this is another visit from those property evaluators again..."

As the knocking continued she hastened to the door. She pushed a few strands of her mane out of her face in a sad attempt to put on a somewhat dignified look before answering.

"Hello. Can I help you?"

As she took in the sight of the pony in front of her, she had to blink several times to validate what she was seeing. It wasn't a news reporter asking for a story or a fundraiser group asking for money. It wasn’t anything like that

It was her best friends' mare.

"Oh, hey, what's up? Er, I mean, hello Princess Twilight." Vinyl blushed lightly and bowed her head slightly.

Twilight, unsure how to respond at the moment merely nodded in return.

"My name is Vinyl. Vinyl Scratch. I don't think we've ever, you know, formally met, but maybe you know me? ...Maybe not?"

"Yes, I know you," Twilight calmly replied. "Spike talks about you, a lot."

"He does?" Vinyl said with a bright smile that she quickly turned back into a straight face. "Er, yeah, he's really a great guy."

"Yeah, he really is," Twilight said.

A silence fell over the two of them that seemed to last a lifetime before Vinyl took a dive and broke through it.

"Uh, so, yeah.... I was wondering if Spike was around?" She rubbed the back of her head and laughed lightly. "I was kinda hoping we could hang out or something today."

Twilight immediately scrutinized the situation she was confronted with. Here before her was Spike's marefriend. Spike wasn't here. This also happened to be the first time she had ever gotten to see this mare one on one. She had in front of her the pony that had been the object of Spike’s affection and constant conversation topic in front of her. Now would be a great opportunity to learn a bit more about her. However, this pony had Spike’s heart in her hooves, and could crush it at any moment.

She also was charged with slowly pulling her best friend away from her inch by inch in recent times.

Twilight put all the pieces that were laid out in front of her together and came to a solid conclusion about how to approach the situation.

“Spike’s not here right now, but why don’t you come in! He should be back soon.” Twilight smiled and stepped aside, allowing Vinyl to enter.

Vinyl cautiously walked inside, nodding to Twilight. “Oh, well, okay. Cool, thanks.”

Twilight’s eyes followed Vinyl as she walked past into her home. Who exactly was this mare? What did Spike see in her? Was she even worthy to be dating her best friend?

She was going to find out.