• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 14,775 Views, 1,995 Comments

Heart Invasion 101 - FamousLastWords



Spike gets a job with the town's local DJ as her assistant. After spending time together, they become fast friends, and quickly begin to realize they have a lot more in common than just music.

  • ...
60
 1,995
 14,775

In It To Win It

"Now this is more like it!" Spike said, pointing at the screen. "Gratuitous violence, obligatory sex scenes and dumb teenagers. The perfect combination for a great movie."

"You said it, bro," Vinyl said, taking a sip of her soda. "Oh shoot, watch this part! Right off goes the dude's head. Classic!"

Spike chuckled and grabbed some chips that were in a bowl on the living room floor beside him. "Serves the dude right for wearing glasses. The nerdy ones always die first. Twilight would never survive survive in a horror movie."

"Speaking of which, what weapon would you use if we suddenly got in, like, an axe-zombie apocalypse?"

"What weapon?"

"Yeah. I feel this information is very important to the continued survival of our relationship."

"Heh, how you figure that?" Spike said with a chuckle.

"This way I'll know if I can chill with you during an apocalypse or if I'll need to be the one kicking butt on the front lines."

"Hmm, you make a valid point." Spike scrunched his brow and rubbed his chin. "I'd probably go with something blunt force style. Like maybe a pickaxe or a baseball bat with nails shoved into it."

"Excellent choice," Vinyl said with a grin. "I'd probably use a chainsaw and just cut em down in hoards."

"But what if you run out of gas?"

"Psh, please. It'd be a magic fueled chainsaw, duh! This horn isn't just for show, you know."

"Fair enough," Spike said.

The two of them continued to watch the movie for a bit longer, a slightly awkward silence overtaking the air.

Spike casually glanced over at Vinyl and felt his heart rate pick up. Left alone with the thoughts in his head, his mind began to wander.

Is this even for real right now? I'm alone... With a beautiful mare... We're watching a b horror film... This can't be real. Are we on a date, or just hanging out? Are we even together, or just friends? I mean, we kissed that one time, but maybe it was just the moment. Or what if she forgot?

Meanwhile, within the realm of Vinyl's mind, a similar wave of thoughts were plaguing the unicorn.

Ahh crap, I said relationship earlier, didn't I? I used the 'r' word! What if doesn't even consider us as being in a relationship? Are we still just friends? I mean, we kissed and all, but what if that didn't mean anything to him? Now, we're alone. What happens if he makes a move? What if he doesn't? What does it all mean?

Spike took a deep breath and casually but slowly put his claw over Vinyl's hoof. He half expected her to flinch away but was instead treated to her inching closer to him than she already was. He could feel his heart pound out of his chest as a new batch of over thinking took over.

Now we're touching...and she didn't pull away. What do I do? What can I do? Should I kiss her? What if she flips and hates me? No wait, she moved closer to me, so she must like me, right? Dear sweet Celestia, this is impossible.

Spike followed Vinyl's lead and moved slightly closer to her, to where their bodies were touching.

Vinyl's mind raced as she tried to make heads or tails of the situation.

Oh. My. Gosh. What's going on? C'mon, Vinyl, you can do this. It's just Spike. He obviously digs you... And you totally dig him, back. You have to do something, anything, or you could ruin it!

C'mon, I can do this! I'm spike. I'm a freakin' dragon!

On cue, the two of them leaned in and pressed their lips together. Spike clutched her hoof with one claw and put his other behind her head, bringing her closer to him. Vinyl followed suit and clutched his back with her free hoof and held him close.

The two were locked together as tight as their lips. Spike broke it for a moment and nuzzled her cheek and neck before resuming the kiss once more.

With a heavy gasp, the two finally broke apart and looked at each other.

"So, does this mean we're actually together now?" Spike said, with vinyl still pressed against him.

"Uh yeah, I'd say so," she replied with a grin.

"Hello, Vinyl! I closed up shop early and decided I'd.... Oh. Oh, my."

The two looked over to the front door of the room to see Octavia standing there, mouth agape.

"Oh, uh, hey Octavia," Vinyl said with a nervous laugh. "Uhh, I invited Spike over!"

Octavia's eyes darted between the two sweaty figures on her living room floor. "Vinyl, do what you will, but please, keep your hormones in check long enough to make it to your room next time... And clean up any, um, messes you made out here."

With a huff and shake of her head, Octavia left the two behind and trotted into her room.

“Well, that was awkward,” Spike said. “Um, any way you could get off of me? I can’t really feel my legs right now.”

“Oh, sorry,” Vinyl said, pushing herself up and off the dragon. “I guess we got a little carried away there, huh?”

“Nah, I wouldn’t go that far,” Spike said, nudging her with his elbow. “But we did miss the end of the movie.”

“Spoiler alert: everypony dies and the vampony chicks have a lesbian orgy in a dance club. Pretty solid.”

“Ahh, I missed a lesbian orgy? You owe me one, now, Vinyl.”

“Heh, I’ll get you back, soon, okay?” she said with a wink.

“How soon is soon?” Spike replied.

“I guess that’s up to you,” she said, cracking a smile. “But not tonight. I booked us at a club in a Manehatten suburb tomorrow night, so i’ve gotta get some rest, and you probably should, too.”

“You don’t have to tell me, twice, “ Spike said, stretching out his arms. “Sleeping is probably my favourite thing in the world. But you’re second, I promise.”

“Just second. I’m so offended,” she said, chuckling.

“Yeah, but a close second.”

Spike lightly pecked her cheek and got up. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“Definitely. Meet me at the train station at three o’clock. That gives us some time to eat over there before the show. Cool?”

“Sounds good.”

Spike waved goodbye and left the apartment. He could feel his heart still fluttering from the encounter. He skipped and jumped his way back home barely able to keep his feet on the ground.

He was in a relationship. A real one.

And as long as it didn’t end up like the last one, he was going to stay happy about it.


“Twilight! I’m home!”

“Oh, Spike!” she said, turning around from her chair in the living area to face him. “You’re a bit late back home, tonight. Did you have fun at Rarity’s?”

“Heh, you could say that,” he said with a smirk.

“Do I even want to know?” she asked with a roll of her eyes. “Anyway, how is she doing? I heard she hurt her hoof or something.”

“Oh yeah, she’s doing fine. I was basically reduced to the role of errand boy for her, but you know, friendship is magic and all.”

“Well that’s good. Have you spoken with Vinyl at all, today? She came by looking for you earlier.”

“I’m perfectly aware she came by,” Spike said with a glare. “You gotta stop scaring away the mares, Twi. It’s hard enough to find anyone who has the courage to hang out with somepony who lives with the princess, and that’s without you giving them a mental shakedown.”

“Well, excuse me, Spike, but I’m just looking out for you. Besides, I like to meet the mares you take interest in. Is that such a crime?”

“No, but it’ll be one if you eventually reduce my life to one of basement dwelling on my own for all eternity.” Spike threw his hands in the air and slumped onto the sofa.

“Well, I’ll have you know, Spike, she actually did very well. She lasted three minutes longer than any of your previous romantic interests before running out the door.”

“Really?”

“Yep,” she said with a smile. “From what I could tell, she seems to like you an awful lot.”

Spike beamed and reflected on his encounter with her just a few minutes before. Heh, if only you knew just how much, Twilight.

“Anyway, Twi,” Spike said, “glad to hear she actually has your seal of approval.”

“Well, I wouldn’t go that far, yet. She hasn’t exactly done anything in the vein of world-saving yet, but she’s definitely not somepony I find distaste with.”

Knowing Twilight as well as he did, that was the best he was going to get.

“I’ll take it.”

“Good. Oh! One more thing,” Twilight said. “Flitter came by a bit earlier as well. She said she needed to talk to you about something.”

“Oh, really? Well that’s great…”

“What’s wrong with that? I happen to really like Flitter. I don’t see why you suddenly decided to have such an aversion to her a few months back. She’s cute and so sweet.”

“Yeah, whatever you say, Twi,” Spike said, shaking his head. “I’ll try and talk to her when I can just to see what she wants. But I’ll be gone most of the day tomorrow.”

“Where are you headed this time?”

“Back to Manehatten. Or at least a suburb of it. Vinyl and I are booked at a club there tomorrow. Nothing big, but it should give me a decent amount of extra bits.”

Speaking of bits, he hadn’t even really been thinking about the base reason he got a job in the first place ever since he started showing more of an interest in Vinyl. Funny how life works that way.

“Anyway, I’m gonna hit the sack. I’ve got a long day tomorrow and I probably won’t be home until really late.”

“Alright, Spike, have a good night. But try and say goodbye before you leave this time, alright? And be careful over in Manehatten. I can’t stress how dangerous it is.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Spike said, getting to his feet. “Good night.” He gave Twilight a quick hug and sauntered off to his room to get ready for the next day.

If the past few days were anything to go by, it was going to be a great one.

Author's Note:

Yeah, this took a lot longer than expected. For an explanation and the future of this story, see this blog: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/547709/heart-invasion-news-and-updates