• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 14,778 Views, 1,995 Comments

Heart Invasion 101 - FamousLastWords



Spike gets a job with the town's local DJ as her assistant. After spending time together, they become fast friends, and quickly begin to realize they have a lot more in common than just music.

  • ...
60
 1,995
 14,778

Hazard Pay

"I don't know, Rarity, it's hard to describe," Spike said, folding some colourful cloth that was lying on the floor. "It just felt...right, you know?"

Rarity giggled lightly and let out a sigh. "Oh, Spikey, I'm so happy for you! If anypony deserves to have a good mare by his side, it's you."

"Yeah, well... I probably shouldn't get too excited. I don't want to rush things."

"Darling, if your story is correct, she kissed you.” Rarity emphasized her point with a thrust of her hoof.Take it from another mare, Spike. If there was ever a sign she wanted things to move forward, that was it."

Spike paused for a moment, bringing to mind the magical moment of the previous night. Her soft fur, her sweet smell and taste.

“Yeah…” he said with a crooked smile.

*Ding!*

The sound of the oven timer going off snapped Spike out of his trance. “Oh, lunch is ready!”

Spike dashed off to the kitchen and soon returned with two plates of food. “Alright, Rarity, one plate of turnip casserole for you and one plate for me.”

Rarity took the food and moved a bit to the side so Spike would have room next to her. “Thank you, darling. I really do appreciate you coming over and helping me today. I hate having to leave work unfinished, but I still can’t seem to move around on this injured leg.” Rarity, nodded toward her front right leg which was bandaged at the knee area.

“I still awful about that,” Spike said. “The fact that you got injured trying to help me… I had no idea tripping on your own porch could be so dangerous.”

Rarity blushed and chuckled awkwardly. “Yes, well, these things do happen from time to time.”

After reflecting back on the lengths she and Octavia had gone to in their attempt to spy on Spike and Vinyl, they both agreed to not bring it up again.

“Besides, Spike,” Rarity said with a wink, “from what you’ve told me, you didn’t need my help all that much anyway.”

“Are you kidding me? I totally needed your help. There’s a fairly high chance I wouldn’t have even remembered to brush my fangs if you hadn’t help me prepare. Not to mention the reservations.”

“True, true,” Rarity said, taking a bite of her casserole. “But really, Spike, you’ve grown up a lot since the last time you were romantically involved with a mare. You should really give yourself more credit.”

Spike sat back in the cushy couch cushion and let took a deep breath. "Thanks, Rares. But let's just hope things turn out better this time around. I'd hate to have another repeat of what happened before."

An air of silence floated through the room, the two of them awkwardly looking at their plates of food. Spike couldn't help but return to the awful memory of his last breakup while Rarity remembered the full week where Spike stayed with her, too ashamed and upset to talk to anypony else about what happened. It wasn't something they brought up, but it would make sense that Spike’s new relationship could uncover old wounds that hadn't healed.

"Spike, dear, you know that if you ever need to talk about it, I'm here for you." Rarity smiled at Spike, but he just nodded and turned his eyes back to his food.

"Yeah, I know. I just wish I could forget about that and move on. I mean, it's been long enough, hasn't it?"

Rarity shook her head. "Spike, something like that, you never forget. The memory stays with you, and your choices are to either appreciate it, or learn from it. "

"Well, I hope I've learned enough to not make the same mistakes as before."

Rarity scooted over a bit closer to Spike, trying to mind her hoof, and nuzzled his cheek lightly. "Don't worry, Spike, I'm sure things will turn out perfectly, no matter what happens."

Spike sighed lightly but was able to crack a small smile. "Thanks. I guess I'm just worrying over nothing right now."

"No, you're just being yourself, Spike. Being raised by Twilight, its a wonder you don't worry more than you already do."

The two shared a laugh together, as they had so often before. Just as Spike was always there to help Rarity, Rarity was always there for Spike when he needed her.

"Now, Spike, could you be a dear and fetch me a new ice-pack for my leg? Its still a bit sore." Rarity tried to lift her leg up with great discomfort.

"Definitely. I'll be back in just a second!"

Spike stumbled off toward the kitchen where an ice-pack was waiting inside the freezer. Since his youth, Spike had been accustomed to running fetch quests for Rarity, and now that he was all but grown age-wise, he still enjoyed helping Rarity just as much. They were best friends after all.

Spike snatched the desired item from the freezer and ran back to the living room where Rarity was awaiting him with an affectionate smile.

“Here you are, Rarity. One ice-pack, frozen and ready to go!” Spike jumped onto the couch next to Rarity and delicately placed her injured hoof in his lap. “Let me know if I’m hurting you, okay?”

Rarity chuckled. “Spike, dear, do not worry. The beauty of the ice-pack is its ability to numb the pain in the first place.”

Spike gently unraveled the bandage from Rarity’s leg and replaced the ice-pack, along with fresh bandages.

"So, Spike, when do you get to see Vinyl again?"

"We've got a local show scheduled this weekend. We get to work with some DJ named Flear. Seems pretty cool."

"And any plans for another date?" Rarity said with a wink.

Spike grinned lightly and chuckled. "Well, I haven't really thought that far ahead, yet. I'm still recovering from the after-effects of last night."

After a few careful wraps of the bandage, Spike was finished tending to her leg. “There you are, Rares. Good as new!”

“Thank you, darling,” Rarity said, allowing Spike to moved her injured leg off his lap and back to a resting position. “You’re such a sweetheart, as always.”

“Nah, it’s just how I roll,” Spike said with a chuckle. “But for real, the swelling is still pretty bad around your knee, so don’t move it too much.”

“Spike,” Rarity said, rolling her eyes. “I’m going to have to move it eventually. You needn’t worry so much about me.”

“Nonsense, Rarity,” Spike replied. “I have to worry about you. It’s part of the best friend code. I’m not gonna leave until I know you’re better, alright?”

Rarity knew there was no point in arguing with Spike when he wanted to help her. That’s how it had always been.

“Well, thank you, darling,” Rarity said, nuzzling Spike’s cheek.

“No problem, just consider me your personal assistant for the day, alright?”

“And usurp that position from Twilight?” Rarity said with mock surprise. “I feel she would would not be too happy if I stole her number one assistant from her.”

“Meh, she can deal for a little while. This is a pretty serious situ-”

*Knock! Knock! Knock!*

"Hmm, I could've sworn I had the 'closed' sign put out," Rarity said. "Spike, could you please answer the door and tell them we're closed for today?"

"Sure thing, Rarity."

Spike bounced up and ran to the door, ready to turn away whoever was waiting there.

"Hello! Uh...Spike?"

At least he thought he was ready.

"Oh, uh, what's up, Flitter?"

Spike prayed that he was mistaken. Of all the things he had decided he never wanted to see again for various reasons, she was right at the top. Right between Chrysalis and Sombra.

Pink bow? Check. Cute voice? Check. Curvy, appealing body? Check.

It was definitely her.

“Oh, you know, same old, same old,” Flitter said, awkwardly batting her bangs out of her face. “How about you, Spike?”

Spike rubbed the back of his head, trying desperately to find anything else to look at than the pony in front of him. The sky, the ground, the random tree in the distance; everything was fair game.

“Uh, well, you know… Same old.”

Flitter’s face turned a light shade of red as she continued to look at Spike.

Spike could feel his heart speed up the longer he stood there. Whether it was just the heat of the moment, or old feelings springing up again, he was not fond of the feeling he was getting.

“So, Flitter, any particular reason you’re here?” Spike asked, motioning toward the ‘Sorry, We’re Closed’ sign on the porch.

“Oh, yeah!” she said, laughing awkwardly. “I was just wanting to see if Rarity had any openings for doing a dress repair for me this week.”

“Oh, gotcha. Well, I’ll let her know, and she’ll get back to you, alright?” Spike attempted to retreat through the door in an effort to end their discussion.

But Flitter had other plans, unfortunately. She stepped closer to him, matching his retreat, and turned his gaze right to his eyes.

“I appreciate that Spike. But, you know, it’s really nice being able to see you again.”

“Uh, yeah?” Spike said with a shaky voice, further stepping back into the house, trying desperately to reach for the elusive door handle.

“Yeah, and I’d really love to see you again. I really miss-”

“Ohyeahtotally! Talklater, bye!” Spike moved back just enough to where he could quickly shut the door and escape the ill-fated reunion.

Spike shook his head and fell back into the door.

Months. It had been months since the last time they had spoken, yet the pain in his heart and the haze in his mind told him it was yesterday.

On the other side of the door, Flitter just frowned and turned away, head drooped in defeat.

Spike made his way back to the living area where Rarity was sitting, head cocked to the side.

“Who was that, darling?”

Spike ignored her question, lost in his own thoughts, and sat down next to her. “Rarity, can I ask you a question?”

Rarity gave him a curious look but just nodded.

“Why can’t life be easy? You know, like it is in all those cheap romance novels where things just fall into place for everypony? Why is it so difficult?”

Rarity chuckled lightly before responding. “Because, Spike, if it was easy, it would not be called ‘real life’, now would it?”

Author's Note:

Rarity speaks the truth. Love and life did not come with an easy mode. It's 'all-madden' level or nothing. :P