• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,458 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,458

Bonus Chapter: The Prince

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, just a little note before you start reading.

This chapter is my original concept for Mother Celestia. It's not about the relationship about an adopted boy and the princess of Equestria. It's originally a story about love between a prince and a maid. There are some similarities and differences between this story and the one that was published and looking back, I'm glad I stuck with the adoptive son story.

The original story isn't that great, so I tried to rewrite it and I'm proud of this version. There are some things that I took from the original that I put into both this story and Mother Celestia prime. This story came about because I released the squeal to this story and I thought why not give you guys a little more. I wanted to write this and hopefully get it out closer to the Father Golden release date, but it's been about a month.

I hope you enjoyed reading this because this was one of my favorite things to write.

REMEMBER: This is not cannon to Mother Celestia. Everything you are about to read, for all intents and purposes, is an alternate universe. There are some similarities, but this is a completely different story.

“Come on, Twilight,” I said as I watched Twilight Sparkle cast a spell. “You’re so close.”

“I…I…can’t…” The aura from Twilight’s hands faded. “Are you going to tell Princess Celestia I failed?” Twilight’s eyes started tearing up.

“Of course not. It’s not an easy spell to learn in the first place. All you need is a little more practice and you’ll be able to cast it without even thinking about it.”

“But, I haven’t come across a spell I couldn’t cast. Why is this one so hard?”

“Because it was developed by an alicorn and probably never thought a unicorn would ever use it. If it makes you feel any better, it took a month to get the spell down. Besides, mind reading isn’t a common spell.”

“Yeah, but you’re an alicorn. You already have the magic in you to do whatever you want. I’m just a plain old unicorn with nothing special about her.”

“You are not just a plain old unicorn, Twilight. My mom saw something special in you and so do I. You have the power to do whatever you want, you just need to channel it. Come on, let’s give it one more try.”

My name is Golden Crown. I am an alicorn and the son of Princess Celestia herself. I was born twenty years ago along with my siblings, Cadence and Blueblood. The doctor said that we were the happiest babies he has ever seen. Our mom tells us all the time that we came at an important time in her life, as our father died in the Griffon War a few months earlier. I was always told that he was noble and loyal to the end, even being a distraction so his troops could get to safety. I never met my father, but when my mom steps down and I take her place, I’ll be as great as he was.

For now, however, I’m assisting my mom in anything she needs. Today I’m taking her place in teaching her personal student while she’s meeting with ponies from Saddle Aribia, but that’s not all I do. I’m usually traveling with her, meeting other diplomats, even being the Canterlot repetitive during the summit. I am a proud member of the royal family and I cannot wait to serve my people when my time comes.

I can’t say the same thing for my brother, however. It’s almost as if he was a character in a book. Blueblood is one of the laziest, self-obsessed, lustful, man child in Equestria. Maybe it’s because I got more attention than he did growing up or because Cadence was closer to me than him or maybe because our mom has been training me to take her place since I was fifteen or because I’m an alicorn where he is just a unicorn. Whatever the reason, Blueblood almost ruins everything it means to be a prince and he loves it. He loves the fact that there are ponies will to wait on him for anything he wants. He loves the fact that he can go in public and all eyes will be on him. He loves the fact the he gets the best of the best everything.

Cadence is different. She too has been helping our mom in her duties and she could easily take over when Celestia steps down, but she decided not to. She thinks I would do a better job, though I have told her many times that she can do a better job. Cadence is sweet, kind, loving, and one of the best ponies I have ever met. We’re not just siblings, we’re best friends. I remember when we were first trying to hone our magic and she learned a spell before I did. Cadence spent hours trying to help me and didn’t leave my side until I got it right.

Speaking of which, that’s exactly what I plan to do with Twilight. We are not leaving this room until she gets it right. I tried to explain what it should feel like when the spell is successfully cast, but it didn’t seem to really help. I then told her to concentrate on me and pretend there is a door leading to my mind. I told her to try and open the door with all of her might and then she would be able to hear my thoughts. And then, I felt it. Twilight was in my head.

“I did it!” she shouted as she broke the connection.

“See, could a plain old unicorn do that? Now I want you to promise me you won’t use these powers for evil. With great power comes great responsibility.”

“I promise,” she said with a chuckle. “What does it feel like to have your mind read? I don’t think it’s ever happened to me.”

“It feels like somepony is right behind you listening to you whisper. Lucky, most ponies just chalk it up the wind or else Cadence and I would be in a lot of trouble.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve already said too much. Why don’t you go the library, pick out some books, and go home.”

“You can’t do that to me. If you don’t tell me, I’ll tell Cadence that you did told me to read her mind to find out her deep dark secret.”

“Fine,” I said with a sigh. “When we were younger, Cadence and I would read other ponies’ thoughts. We would finish their sentences, say the same thing as them, and just caused mischief. We stopped because we found out something really personal to another pony. Now go get your books.”

Twilight hugged me good bye and ran towards the library. I stayed behind to write a report telling my mom how Twilight’s studies went today. While these weren’t my favorite thing to do I understand it’s necessity. Doing these reports are easy ways to communicate, so if somepony else has to take over a task, they don’t spend time trying to figure out where the last person left.

“Prince Golden,” a guard said from the other side of the door. “Princess Celestia request your presence.”

“I’ll be there in a minute,” I said as I finished the report

I signed the paper and used a spell to teleport it to the archive. Twilight’s study room wasn’t too far from the throne room, but it was far enough for me to get lost in my thoughts. I looked at some of the maid and servants around the castle and felt my heart break a little.

Equestria’s economy has taken a turn for the wort. We are currently in a recession and it is hitting most ponies pretty hard. The only ponies who seem to be immune are those wealthy enough to the point where losing some thousands of bits would be less than a drop in a bucket, like the royal family. Cadence and I couldn’t stand by and watch ponies lose their jobs and homes. We encouraged our mom to hire more castle workers, to which she agreed on one condition: Everyone hired must be younger than 25. Celestia knows how hard it is to get a job, even when we’re in a finically stable place. She wants to give young ponies the opportunity to gain some job experience and the ability to contribute to their house.

My heart is breaking because this is not their destiny. These young ponies are not castle workers. They are writers and musicians, photographers and accountants, bakers and teachers, not servants and maids. These ponies cannot practice their talent because they are too busy working in the castle. That is why I’m making it my number one goal to end the recession.

I approached the door and the guards opened them for me. I didn’t personally know the guard on the left, but the one on the right is my best friend, Shining Armor. I first met him during his training for the royal guard. He accompanied me to a trip to Ponyville for a meeting with their mayor. It was actually a little strange that I asked a guard to come with me, as it’s only a small town and I wasn’t staying for long. I only wanted somepony to come with me so I wouldn’t be alone and wanted to talk to somepony during the trip. He was assigned at random because he really wasn’t needed at the castle. We talked a good amount and I saw into his heart. Shining Armor is a generally a good pony who wants to bring happiness wherever he goes. We became friends when I asked for him personally.

I walked in to find my mom staring out of a window into a garden. That’s one thing I’ve always admired about her Cadence. Regardless of how dark or bleak things are, no matter how depressed they are feeling, they can always find the beauty of something. I once found my mother sitting under a tree, staring at a swan and her cygnets. She wondered if a swan knew her children would be viewed as beautiful or if she had to raise them that way. She then asked if she was a good mother and I told her she was the best.

“You wish to see me, mother?” I said as I approached her.

“Yes,” she said, turning around to face me. “I have an essential matter we need to talk about.”

“Is it about my proposal to end the recession? I know it would be costly, but it’s a much better option than what we have now and we will be back to where we were in a matter of months.”

“It’s not that, Golden. I need to talk about your marriage.” I sighed and turned away to leave. “Wait, Golden. This is highly important if you wish to take over my spot one day. Ponies need to be able to trust who you pick.”

“Why do I need to pick somepony at all? Why can’t I just lead by myself?”

“You know I don’t care either way. Your happiness is the only thing that matters to me and if that means you never marry, then so be it. But who you love says something about who you are and the ponies of Equestria will have an easier time trusting you if you pick the right mare.”

“I don’t want to ‘pick’ a mare. I want to fall in love with a mare. I want to find a mare who loves me for me and not my title or money.”

“I know you do, sweetie. I want you to be happy I really do. I just wish your father was here to help us.”

“What would he say?” Celestia smiled as she thought about my father. She often does this and has a big smile whenever he enters her thoughts.

“He would tell me to stop worrying and you’ll find love when you find love. I know I’m making a big deal about this, but I’m just making sure you and Equestria are ready for you. I don’t want to rush you, but can you at least make an effort? Come to the dinner we are having in honor of our Saddle Arabian guests. Maybe you could find somepony there.”

“I’ll be there and I’ll try to meet somepony. It’s just a little hard for me since you-know-who.”

I’m referring to my last marefriend, Angel. Cadence introduced at a party and we hit it off. Our first date was a week later and dated for five years after that. I learned that she only wanted to be with me because she wanted to marry into the royal family and become a princess. I had some trust issues after I broke up with her and haven’t really gotten over it.

A pony came in to have Celestia sign some papers. I decided to go back to my room to take a nap before the dinner started. Once again, I was saddened by the ponies around the castle not indulging in their talents.

“Excuse me, sir,” a young light grey mare with a dark grey mane in a maid outfit said to me. “If there is anything I could do for you for a few extra bits, please feel free to ask.”

“How old are you?” I asked.

“Twenty, sir.”

“And your cutie mark, it means you have a connection to music, correct?”

“Yes sir. My whole family has some connection to music sir.”

“Then what are you doing here? Why are you in this castle, cleaning the mess others make? You could be out in the world playing the…”

“Cello, sir.”

“Playing the cello for everyone to hear. You could be bringing joy to everyone who hears it. You can create a picture with that beautiful sound, but you chose to come here every day and clean.”

“It’s not that simple, sir. I would love to be out there playing my cello. I miss the days where I would walk onto stage, wearing a beautiful dress, play my heart out, and take a bow as the audience applauded me. I miss the days where I had nothing to do, but relax and play my cello. However, the recession hit my family hard. No pony had money to come to our concerts, so we had less money. I had to take this job just to make sure we could eat every night.”

“So, you’re another victim of the recession?”

“If you wish to call me that, sir.”

“What is your name?”

“Octavia Melody, sir.”

“I promise you, Miss Melody, I will end this recession. I will see to it that you will only work jobs you want and not jobs you need. I promise you will relive those days of just you and your cello. I promise that you will one day hear that applause. Until then, hold out your hand.”

Octavia looked hesitant, but she obeyed. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a number of five bit coins and put them into her hand.

“That should hold you over until I can think of something for you to do.”

She counted the coins in her hand and realized I just gave her 50 bits. Her jaw dropped when she finished counting and looked at me with her lavender eyes.

“I can’t take this, sir. It’s very generous and it will help feed my family, but I didn’t do anything to earn it.”

“You are here trying when you shouldn’t be. That’s reason enough for me and I’m sure my sister would agree. Besides, this is half of a hydrogen molecule in a bucket for somepony like me. Please take it.”

“Thank you sir.” Octavia and I went on our way. I applaud Octavia for her bravery. The maid are told never to talk to a member of the royal family unless it is an urgent matter or they are addressed first. To walk up to me and engage me in conversation is no small task.

With my work done for now, I was free to take a well-deserved nap. I have been working my flank off on the solution to the recession and left little time to sleep. I was up late working with accountants, ponies with enough money, and public representatives. My plan is simply to encourage spending by giving each home a percent of their yearly income. Right now, ponies have cut spending down to the bare essentials, meaning less money is going to the stores, meaning stores need to let ponies go because they cannot afford to pay them, meaning ponies don’t have money to spend. If ponies are willing to spend on things they both want and can fully pay, which money will go back into the economy and jobs will be created. For now, however, it’s time to for me to sleep.

I woke up about an hour before dinner, which was just the right amount of time to get ready. I showered, brushed my teeth, styled my mane, and put on my favorite suit. I always liked these social events, as my sister and I are very social. I like talking to other ponies and learning about their lives. Everypony lives a deep a vivid life, much like mine, and I love to hear their stories. I love to hear how somepony grew up and compare to how different they are from mine.

As I walked out of my room, I saw Octavia about to enter the forbidden room. Celestia told me when I was young to never let anypony alone. It holds a secret known only to the royal family and cannot be known by members of the public. She told me that maybe one day, I will be allowed to take somepony in there, but I need to keep everypony out of that room for now.

“Wait!” I shouted as I sprinted over to her. “You cannot clean that room.”

“My apologies, Prince Golden, but I have been told to dust the castle and this room is part of the castle. If I don’t clean this room, then there is a good chance I will get fired.”

“You will be fired if you enter that room. Behind that door is a well-kept secret that you cannot see. I promise you will not be fired if you do not clean that room.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“What time did you start working?”

“8 AM, sir.”

“You have been working for ten hours?” I asked in astonishment.

“It’s what I have to do to feed my family, sir.”

“I gave you money to feed yourself and your family. Why are you still working?”

“I need as much money as possible. I’m afraid we’re also falling behind on our bills and I would like a little extra money for myself.”

“You’ve been working hard, Miss Octavia. Please, go home and spend the night with your family. I’m sure they’re grateful for all you are doing and they would love to spend time with you.”

“Yes sir,” Octavia said after some thought. She smiled at me and walked away to change into her street clothes. I’m sad to see a mare that young spend all of her time working. It only empowers me to end this recession.

Celestia likes to have excuses to have dinner parties. The castle is way too big and she loves to have it filled with ponies. Tonight was the going away party for the Saddle Arabian guests. I wasn’t able to spend much time with them, but I enjoyed what time I did.

I waked into the dining room and found my seat at Celestia’s table. The table was filled with ponies with high status and guests personally invited by a member of the royal family. My seat was next to my sister and another mare.

“Golden!” Cadence said as she stood up to hug me. I always loved being with Cadence as she has a way to bring a smile to my face. “Are you finally taking a break from your work?”

“More like I finally finished my work. I submitted my proposal to end the recession and mom is looking over it.”

“Well then have a seat and let me introduce you to Princesses Desert Blossom, the Jewell of Saddle Aribia.”

“Charmed,” I said as I took her hand and kissed it and took my seat next to her. “I’m sorry this is our first and last meeting.”

“Do you not live in the castle?” Desert Blossom asked.

“Desert will be staying with us in Canterlot for the next two months,” Cadence explained.

“My father thinks it’s best that I explore other cultures while I am young. He asked your mother if it was okay and Princess Celestia seemed overjoyed to have me.”

“Well then, I’ll have to show you around Canterlot sometime.”

Desert and I talked for most of the dinner. We mainly traded stories of our adventures while we travelled around with our parents. Just to hear the different experiences she had was fascinating to me. Cadence was joking around, saying things like tonight was the night we fall in love. I had to remind her of her obsession with Shining Armor and how she was too terrified to say anything to him. When dinner ended, I walked the princess back to her room. She kissed me on both cheeks, but reassured me that it was just a traditional goodbye in Saddle Aribia.

“I know you’re there,” I said to Cadence who was hiding around a corner. She came out of hiding as I walked past her to go back to my room.

“You like her, don’t you?” She asked as she walked next to me.

“I like her more than I like Blueblood.”

“You like everyone more than you like Bluey. You know you can tell me anything.”

“I’m still having some trust issues,” I said with a sigh. “Angel didn’t just break my heart, she took five years of my life. She made me devote all of my time to her and it meant nothing to her. Maybe in time I will find somepony who will mend my broken heart, but until then, no I don’t like her.”

“I think you’ve already met that mare. You might not know it yet, but your heart does. Maybe it is Desert Blossom or another mare that you just casually passed by, but your heart has already started to trust someone.”

“Thanks Cadence. You always know what to say.” We smiled, hugged, and wished each other a good night.

The next few weeks went along the same. I had the opportunity to show the princess around Canterlot. It fascinated me to see Canterlot through fresh eyes and I loved hearing her stories from Saddle Aribia. I would still help my mother when she needed it, but I didn’t really have anything to do now that I have submitted my plan to end the recession. My main job was to help Twilight with her studies, which I enjoyed. Maybe when I take the throne, I’ll take up a few students of my own. I gave Octavia a few extra small jobs and gave her a few extra bits for her service. I felt a little bad doing it, but she always came into work with a smile and was able to hold a conversation. The only real challenge was keeping my brother in line and making sure the new maids and servants were happy to be here. However, he has gotten out of hand recently. I have found him trying to give maids skimpy outfits and telling them these are their new work clothes. I had to release a statement to the staff telling them not to wear anything Blueblood gives them.

I woke up day knowing I had nothing to do. My proposal was still under debate, Cadence decided to take Desert to a spa today, and Princess Celestia has a special assignment for Twilight and needed to oversee it herself. Today was for me. It started out normally with a shower, breakfast, and reading the newspaper, but then I saw something that told me today wasn’t going to be just a relaxing day. Octavia was cleaning a mirror, just as she should be doing, but she was wearing one of Blueblood’s outfits. I had to think of something fast to save this poor good from Blueblood’s lust.

“Miss Octavia,” I said as I approached her, “can you please follow me.” She wordlessly obeyed. I assumed she was feeling the shame the outfit brought to a pony to high stature. I led her down a hallway to a changing room. The room was really two rooms, a closet and a show room with a room divider for privacy. I told her to find a dress she liked a change into it.

“You know you could have been fired for wearing that,” I told her as she changed.

“I’m sorry sir. Please don’t fire me, sir.”

“Enough with ending your sentences with ‘sir’. The only thing that truly separates us is my title. I am no better than you in anyway.”

“I could be fired for not doing it, sir.”

“Only if you are a maid.”

“I’m sorry sir. I promise you I will never wear anything like that again. Prince Blueblood promised me 500 bits if I wore that outfit all day.”

“I should have figured as much. You are not maid material, Octavia. You are a performer and you should be treated as such. Are you changed?”

“Yes.” She responded.

“Show me.” Octavia stepped out from behind the divider wearing a beautiful dress. It was a black dress that covered most of her body. The dress was kept up in two by two studded straps that create a V shape in between her breasts. The straps continued to the back and made a triple figure eight pattern.

“It’s beautiful,” I said as Octavia started to blush. “Follow me.”

I led her to another room. This one was filled with instruments from all over the world. Celestia and my father thoroughly enjoyed music from anywhere. We would hear stories of how the two of them would dance all night at a ball only to find they were the only ones dancing. When my father died, Celestia promised to keep his memory alive by continuing to share music.

Octavia’s eyes lit up when she realized what I wanted her to do. In the middle of the room was a cello, a bow, and two chairs across from each other. She asked I wanted her to play for me. I told her that was her new job. She is to play for me either whenever I want or whenever she wants. She didn’t wait for me to say anything and quickly made her way to the seat. I took mine as she made sure the instrument was in tune.

When everything was to her liking, Octavia picked up the bow and held it out as if it was an extension of her arm. She put the bow to the strings and the second a smile grew across her face as a note slipped out.

Octavia’s music was nothing like I’ve heard before. Within a few notes, you could hear the passion and love for her work. You could hear every thought that went through her head and they were all lovely. Most importantly, you could hear the joy in her being able to do what she loves. When she finished, she asked if she could play more. Wanting to hear more, I told her that she could play as much as she wants. We lost track of time as Octavia was lost in her own art.

Something like this happened almost every day for a week. Octavia would show up to the castle, change into one of our beautiful dress, and we would either talk or she would play her cello for hours on end. I would always watch her and get lost in her world, and give her plenty of bits at the end of the day. There were times when I would bring other ponies to watch her too, but I found myself alone more often than not. I still had some duties I had to attend to, like helping Twilight with her studies. Octavia would usually come along if I was called to a different part of the castle and act as an assistant.

I had gotten to know this mare well over the course of a week. Octavia has a beautiful sense of honor and class to her. She isn’t willing to comprise her beliefs for anything and found courage sticking to her values. She would never let anything get to her and never lost her refined class. Let’s not forget that she is one of the most intelligent and cultured mares I could ever met. I can talk to her about anything, and I usually do.

I realized something very dangerous when she was playing six days after her first session. I was in love. Cadence had told me that my heart had already found someone to trust and it was Octavia. I wanted her by my side for the rest of my life and I didn’t care who knew. There were a few problems with these feelings, however. First, I don’t know if she loves me too. We haven’t known each other for long and the only reason I know I love her is because of my heart. To her, this could just be a private concert for someone who is willing to pay or a dear friendship that she never wants to lose.

Second, there is the fact I am an alicorn. At one point in an alicorn’s life, they stop aging. Our bodies never decay and our organs never fail. Our bodies can be destroyed and damaged beyond the point of repair, but we can never die of natural causes. Octavia, however, is not an alicorn. She is an earth pony and destined to die. There will come a time where she will die and I am forced to move on without her. But I first have to find out if she feels the same before I worry about that.

I was waiting for Octavia the next day in the entrance hall today. I had something in mind to help me find out if my love is requited.

“Good morning, Prince Golden,” Octavia said as she entered the castle. “Is there anything you would like to hear today?”

“Actually, I thought I would play something for you today,” I said as we walked down the hallway leading to the music room.

“You play?”

“Of course. My father loved the piano and I felt a connection to the instrument when I first put my fingers on the keys.”

“I’m sorry to learn about your father. I’ve been told that he was a great leader and I’m sure he would have done an even better job raising you.”

“Thank you, Octavia. I’m glad there are ponies out there that know of my father’s legacy. I plan to be just as great as a leader as he was, but I don’t have to worry about that for a while.”

“So, can I make a request?”

“Only after I finish my song.”

We reached the room where Octavia plays for me. Her cello was replaced with a piano and the seat I usually sit in was moved next to the performer’s seat. We took our seats and I prepared for my performance. I pressed one of the keys and smiled as I heard the sound of this beautiful instrument.

I took some time to consider what to play beforehand. I remember my mom telling me about a song my dad would play for her. She said the song was a love story. It starts out about a stallion seeing a mare and the feelings of his first love. It then jumps to the first date and shows his nervousness and later the excitement of his first kiss.

Like Octavia, I got lost in the music. I think she would agree when I say there is something liberating about playing an instrument. Having all of your thoughts and feeling are communicated without words and only those who truly understand you know what you’re saying. There are times where you just want to ignore the rest of the world and keep playing whatever you want. But I can’t ignore the world right now because Octavia is in it.

Octavia applauded when I finished. I turned to her and smiled as I saw her smiling too. I wanted to ask her if she liked, but she lunged forward and planted her lips against mine. The kiss was exactly like the song described, but even better than I remembered. There was a perfect spark between us that was like no other. It didn’t even feel this good when I kissed Angel. In that one kiss, I knew that she loved me too and that we were destined to be together.

“I guess you liked it,” I said when our lips parted.

“I can’t believe I’m in love with a prince. And I’m overjoyed to know that you love me too.”

“Octavia, I’ve never loved anyone more than I love you. You inspired me to finish that song and all I want to do is play that song for you over and over again. I want you by my side forever.”

“And I want to be by your side forever. I’ve never felt love until I met you and it’s a feeling I never want to forget.”

“There a problem with our love,” I said knowing we had to talk about it at some point. “You’re not an alicorn.”

“How is that a problem?” She asked with plenty of concern.

“Alicorns never die of natural causes. You are will age and your body will eventually fail you. I can’t bear to watch you die while I continue to suffer a life without you.”

“You’re saying we can never be together, aren’t you?”

“Not with a price. Follow me.”

I led Octavia to the room she attempted to clean the first day we met. The only way to legally enter the room is with a member of the royal family and only for ceremonial reasons. In other words, I’m only breaking half a law by taking Octavia in here.

The only lighting in the room comes from the fountain. The only thing that can be seen is the fountain, the light blue, glowing liquid flowing through it, and a chalice. There isn’t a single sound in the room. Not even the sound of the liquid or the echoes of the hall outside. This is one of the most isolating place in Equestria and houses one of my family’s darkest secrets.

“What is this place?” Octavia asked as I closed the door behind her.

“A place of legend,” I responded. “I believe you grew up calling it ‘The Fountain of Youth’.”

“It’s real?” Octavia shouted in excitement. She covered her mouth when she thought there was a chance somepony heard her.

“Relax. No pony can hear us. It’s real but not in the way you know it. Tell me, what have you heard about it?”

“According to legend, the fountain is located an overgrown jungle, as the plants around it drink from it. It’s said that anything that drinks from it will be granted a youthful body, mind, and spirit. The only problem is you must drink from it every 30 moons or else you will revert back to whatever form you should be. Ponies have gone mad looking for it and some by trying to find it again.”

“Almost none of that is true. The truth is my grandfather from nine generations back led a team of alicorns to find the fountain. The only difference is that it only takes one drink and the pony is granted immortality for the rest of their life. He believed that no pony should hold the power of immortality, so he and the other alicorn teleported the fountain to this castle. Little did they know using magic on a legend causes you to become a part of that legend. They didn’t just use magic on the fountain. The fountain used its magic on them.”

“That’s why you’re immortal…” Octavia said realizing what the price was.

“A few generations back, my grandmother fell in love with a pegasus, but was in the same situation we are in. The pegasus drank from that chalice and the two are still alive to this day. Since then we have saved this for only for those who we cannot bare to live without. My mother made my brother drink from it, as she couldn’t even think about a life without the three of us. Now, I ask you to do the same. Before you drink, however, you must consider the possibilities of immortality. Your friends and family will die around you and there is nothing you can do about it. You must face this heartbreak over and over again and it might break you.”

“But…you’ll be there to help me, right?”

“Of course I will. Any heart break you suffer, I will be there for you and help you through it. You don’t have to make a decision now and I’ll understand if you decide against it, but please-”

“I’ll do it.” She said.

“Are you sure? This is a major decision and in fairness you have only known me for a short amount of time.”

“I’ve known you for much longer, Golden. Do you remember when you were thirteen and you met a little mare at the gala?”

“You were the mare who was crying in the hallway because your best friend moved to Ponyville.”

“You told me that one day I would make a new friend and that one will make me feel great again. You said that friend might not make me feel the same way, but that just means it’s a different kind of friendship and one that you will treasure just as much. Do you remember what we did next?”

“We spent the rest of the night together talking. I even stole you an extra piece of cake to make you feel better.”

“That’s why I first developed a crush on you. You did whatever you needed to so I would feel better. You didn’t even know me, I was just some filly crying at a party and you went out of your way so a stranger would feel better.

“My mother always told me that I would know when I found the perfect stallion for me. She told me never let that colt go and never do anything to hurt them. She said that I would do insane things for him, but I would never regret it. I love you so much, Golden. I don’t care who knows about it. If I had to choose between you and my cello, I would choose you any day. If you asked me to marry you right now, I would say ‘yes’ before you could finish the question. I know this is a big step, but if everything you’re saying is true and you will love me forever, than I’m willing to do this for you.”

“Will you marry me?” A smile came across her face and she pulled me into another kiss.

“Of course I will.”

“I’m over the moon to hear you say that, but please don’t drink now. Once the marriage is announced you will be asked to drink and you do not want to know what happens if you drink twice.”

“Okay, but please don’t keep me waiting.”

Octavia and I were able to sneak out of the room without anypony seeing. We spent the rest of the day in the music room until her time was up. I had to tell my mom about Octavia and how I had to found a mare that I loved. I busted into the throne room to find Cadence with a somber look.

“Cadence,” I said, “where’s mom?”

“Golden, mom is sick. She’s really sick and she needs you to take over for…well we don’t know how long.”

“What do you mean? What’s wrong with her?”

“We’re not completely sure, but…” Cadence tried to hold back tears, but ultimately failing. I hugged my sister as tight as I could. “There’s a chance that she can enter an endless cycle of life and death.”

“She won’t, Cadence. I promise I will do anything to make her better. Until then, be by her side and help her get healthy.”

“I will, but can you come by her room sometime tonight to check on her? I’m sure she would love to see you.”

“Of course I will. I love you, Cadence.”

“I love you too,” Cadence said as she left the room.

I whistled for my pet phoenix. I found Philomena in the castle garden when I was seven. She was only a baby and we couldn’t find her mother. My mom let me take her in and nurse her back to health. When it was time to release the phoenix, she didn’t want to leave and became attached to me. I named her Philomena because I liked the sound of it. Since then she has been a loyal bird and a great friend. She always knows when something is wrong with me and will always pull pranks on the guards to try and make me laugh.

I wrote a letter to Octavia telling her about my mom and how I’m taking her place until she is better. I asked her to come to the ceremony announcing and making my temporary leadership official. There, after all the papers were signed, I would announce our engagement.

I spent the next hour thinking about this. All I wanted to be the leader of Equestria with a mare that I loved by my side. Today, I got just that. I found a mare that not only loves me, but also doesn’t care about my title. She didn’t care that I was a prince, only that I was kind. And now I have the opportunity to live up to my father’s name. I have the chance to be as great as a leader as he was and I know that I can. But all of this at the cost of my mother’s life. No, it’s not worth it. Nothing is worth my mother’s life. I would rather never lead Equestria than have her die.

I left to see my mother, but when I opened the door to the hallway, but just as I reached for the knob, the door opened. On the other side was Princess Desert Blossom who was surprised to see me.

“There you are,” she said when she realized I was on the other side of the door, “I’ve been looking for you.”

“I’m sorry, Princess, but I have an important matter to attend to,” I said as I tried to get past her.

“Actually, that’s why I was looking for you. My father asked to see you.”

“Tell him that this is a little more important than whatever he needs.”

“He said you would say that, so he wanted me to tell you that your mother’s life may depend on it.”

While I wanted to see my mom, I promised Cadence that I would do anything to save our mother’s life. If the king of Saddle Aribia has something that could do that, I must meet with him. The Princess led me to a board room where her father was waiting.

“Prince Golden,” the king said when I entered, “I am sorry to hear about your mother.”

“She’ll be alright, hopefully after this conversation. You said that you might have something that could help her.”

“I have brought you this,” he said as he opened a box on the table and showed me its contents. Inside was a single orange flower.

“What is this?”

“This is the Nunu Flower. Have you ever head of it?”

“I’ve heard of the name in a story I read when I was younger, but no description was given.”

“It is said that this flower, if prepared properly, can heal anypony from any ailment. It’s even brought ponies back to life.”

“Thank you so much for this.” I tried to take the box from him, but he had a firm grip on it.

“Not so fast, prince,” he said after closing the box. “This flower is a legend in Saddle Aribia. Very few know that it exist and even fewer have ever seen it. I’m sure Equestria has its own legends that turn out to be true.”

“Where is this going?”

“I know of your immortality and I know you can grant that upon anypony. Admit it, prince, you have the fountain of youth.”

“So what if we do? Even if we know where it is, you must drink from it every 30 moons or else face a fate worse than death, so the legend goes.”

“I am no fool. I know that it is here and one only needs a single drink to live many lifetimes.”

“Why do you want to be immortal anyway? Do you not understand how difficult it would be to watch all of your friends and family die?”

“I am the king who save Saddle Aribia from raiders. I am the king that gave ponies a home and inspired them to make the land great again. My people need me and they will always need me.”

“Even if we did have a fountain of youth and we allowed some non-alicorn ponies to drink from it, what makes you think you can even get to it? I’m sure we would have some laws to limit its access only to the royal family.”

“Then marry my daughter.”

“What?” I shouted.

“If you marry my daughter than she becomes a part of the royal family and has access to your immortality. I’ll make you deal: marry my daughter and I’ll give you the flower.”

I was shocked that he would even ask a thing like that. He was asking me to be with someone that I had no romantic feelings for. Plus, he’s playing with my mom’s life, but what other option do I have? Cadence said the doctors have no idea how long it would take for her to get better. She even said there is a chance that my mom can die. This might be my only opportunity to save her, and I promised Cadence I would do anything to help her.

“I’ll do it,” I said after thinking it over.

“Wonderful!” The king said with an evil grin. “You will announce your marriage tomorrow and grant Desert’s immortality soon after.”

“Not so fast. I’ll give you access to the fountain only after I get the flower. I imagine that I would only get the flower when you get the fountain.”

“Fine, we’ll get what we want after the wedding, deal?”

“Deal.”

I left the room sicken by his smile. I had to fulfill my promise to Cadence and went to see my mom. She was sleeping when I go to her room, so I tried to be as quiet as possible. I asked her what she would do if she was in this situation. Would she give these people what they wanted if Cadence or Blueblood or I were sick? Would she make different demands? I started to wonder I was the one to take over and not Cadence. She’s just as great of leader as I am. I then started to wonder if I be a good leader.

Walking back to my room, I started to wonder how I got here. What if I had never talked to Octavia? Would I feel better about marrying Desert? I certainly wouldn’t have to worry about what she is going to do. What if I never wanted to try and live up to my father’s name? I wouldn’t have been in a position to decide between my mother’s life and my happiness. A knock on my door interrupted my train of thought.

“May I enter,” Blueblood said.

“I would prefer to be alone, Blueblood.”

“Please, it’s important. I need to talk to somepony about mother.”

“Alright. What are you feeling?”

“I’m afraid, Golden. I’m afraid that we’re going to lose her and I don’t know if I’m ready for that.”

“Neither am I and I’m sure Cadence isn’t. We have doctors working as hard as they can and they’re going to help her.”

“You know I’ve always been grateful I was born into this family. If we were born into any other family, even one of the same social class, I’m sure our parents wouldn’t care about me.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m not an alicorn. You and Caide are born for greatness. You have an infinite lifetimes to do great things for the ponies around you, but I don’t. If mother didn’t make me drink from the fountain I don’t know what would have happened.”

“She would have loved you just the same.”

“Would she? You know, I was always jealous of you. Mother always wanted you to become a leader, so she devoted more time and effort to you. I always thought she loves you more because she had more invested in you. Meanwhile, I’m here to figure everything out for myself.”

“I think you did a pretty good job for figuring things out for yourself. I mean, besides the whole maid outfit thing.”

“Sorry about that. I might have had a little too much to drink one night and my drunken personality thought it would have been funny. I guess a maid found it and a note the next day and thought I was serious.”

“I guess you have to do something to entertain yourself, but you really could do more.”

“I know I can. This whole thing with mother made me realize it’s time to grow up. When she gets better, I will ask her for more responsibilities and do more around the castle to help in any way I can.”

"What made you want to change?”

“In one of my drunken stupors, I tried the maid thing again. I did everything I could to get her to wear it, even promising her a large amount of bits. The next morning I realized how much of a mistake it was and tried to find the mare. I couldn’t find the outfit and I couldn’t remember the mare’s face so I assumed she quit and I couldn’t apologize. I am now the stallion that treated her like an object. I don’t want to be that pony and realized I needed to change.

“I think you’re already on your way,” I said with a smile. “Alright, I’m pretty tired and I have a big day tomorrow.”

“Okay, good night brother. I enjoyed this talk.”

“Good night. And I’m always open to talk whenever you want.”

My talk with Blueblood didn’t really relive my stress and I went to sleep uneasy. I woke up the next morning knowing how tough today was going to be. In the span of an hour I will become the leader of Equestria, become engaged to a mare that I don’t love, and break the heart of the one that I do. I wanted nothing more than to go back to sleep and have somepony else take my place for the day. But that wasn’t an option.

I went through the motions of getting ready. I soon found myself in a study trying to figure out what I was going to say to the people of Equestria. Just thinking about mentioning my marriage. I dreaded seeing Octavia when I told her that I was marring a mare I don’t love.

“Hey,” Cadence said as she entered the room. “Are you ready for your big day?”

“I guess,” I sighed.

“What’s wrong?” I had to think how to approach this question. In the slices between us, Cadence came up to me and hugged me, knowing I would need it.

“How’s mom doing?”

“Not good. I don’t think she would be able to make it today. I’m sorry Golden.”

“It’s probably for the best. It won’t be my finest moment and I would rather not have her see it.”

“What are you taking about? This is what you wanted. Sure it’s only temporary and you would probably like it if nothing was wrong with mom, but you’re going to become the leader of Equestria.”

“I’m in love, Cadence. I’m in love with the cello player I introduced you to. I love her more than I’ve loved any other pony and there is nothing I want to do more than to go out there and tell all of Equestria. And the best part is she loves me too. She told me that she loves me as much as I love her and she doesn’t care that I’m a prince. We love each other so much that I’ve already asked her to marry me. She even knew about the fountain and said she would drink if I was the pony to help her through her grief.”

“That’s so sweet. I told you your heart already found somepony it trusts. I can already tell that your love is pure and it’s the same I love in mom when she talks about dad. So, you announce the marriage today and we can start planning the wedding by tomorrow. Plus, I’m sure this good news would be just what she needs to get better.”

“It’s not that simple. The Saddle Arabian king has a flower that can save mom, but he won’t give it to me unless he becomes immortal.”

“You have to say ‘no’. I don’t care what he has, he can’t become immortal unless he is a member of the royal family.”

“That’s just it, he wants me to marry Desert. If I marry her, her family becomes members of the royal family which gives them access to the fountain and we get the flower.”

“But you’re miserable because you’re not with the mare you love. You can’t do this, Golden.”

“I have to. I promised you that I would do anything to save mom.”

“We’ll find another way. We have our best doctors working on it and they can figure out what’s wrong and find a cure. Plus, mom wouldn’t want you to do this. She would want you to be happy and-”

“Cadence,” I said as I put my hands on her shoulders to calm her down, “its fine. I’ll be happy so long as I have you, mom, and Blueblood. But there is something you can do for me. Find the cello player and lead her here. Her name is Octavia and I feel like I owe her an explanation.”

“I will, but make sure you think it through before you announce anything. And remember, the greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.”

Cadence left the room, leaving me to my thoughts again. I took heart what she said and then I knew what I had to do.

Shining came to get me when it was time for the ceremony to begin. He led me to the throne room, which was filled with ponies from all over Canterlot. The room erupted a round of applause as I entered. I walked down the center isle and looked at all the ponies here. Of course, Octavia was there with her parents who I’m hoping she didn’t say anything to. On the other side towards the front is the king and Desert with a devious grin on the king’s face.

The audience died down when the officiator started talking. He said something about times changing and a change of leadership was needed. There was nothing wrong with keeping my mom as a leader, but she believes her time is over and must pass on the torch. It then hit me, this wasn’t temporary. My mom is officially stepping down and I’m taking her place today. He then started talking about the achievements. He talked about the diplomatic missions I have been on and the visits to small towns or villages. Then he read a statement from Twilight talking about how I helped her with her magic. Finally I signed a few papers and it was official. I was the leader of Equestria. The final part of the ceremony was my address to the people of Equestria.

“People of Equestria, I am sorry this ceremony comes at a low point for my family. My first promise is that I will not hide anything from you, including my family life. My mother, Princess Celestia, has fallen ill with an unknown sickness. We are doing everything we can to make her well again and I am positive they will cure her. I also know how many business are failing and families are losing their homes. I know there are ponies out there who have it so much worse than I. My second promise is to end the recession and bring Equestria back to where it was.

“My mother believes when everything in your life goes wrong, make something go right. I have fallen in love with a mare and I would do anything for her. If she were to ask me to step down as leader of this great land, I would do it and I know she would do the same for me. I have never loved a mare more than I love this mare, so my third promise is to her. I promise to never leave your side and to be there whenever you need it. Octavia Melody, will you marry me?”

Almost everypony in the room erupted in murmurs. I looked over at Desert and her father, who were smiling and filled with rage respectively. Ponies from newspapers all across Equestria were asking all sorts of questions, the biggest one being who Octavia actually is. Everypony went quiet as Octavia stood up and made her way to the front.

“I will,” she said when she reached the front. We kissed each other and the room erupted in applause. There were some ponies still trying to ask us question, but they were drowned out by the noise.

“If there are no further matters to discuss,” I said when mine and Octavia’s lips parted, “I would like to get to work on helping my mother.”

Octavia and I walked out of the room and back to my study. Octavia was smiling the entire time. When we reached the study, I asked Octavia to find her parents so I could meet them. The truth is I didn’t want her to be there for the confrontation that was about to happen.

“You ignorant child,” the Saddle Aribia king said as he busted in the door. “Do you realize what you have done?”

“I chose love,” I said.

“You have not only doomed your mother, but you’ve defied a king and destroyed his land. I could declare a war on you and your people will throw me a parade.”

“Do you know what you did? You decided to play with not just my mother’s life, but the life of a beloved princess. I could build a dungeon, throw you in it, and no pony would care.”

“I gave you the choice to save your own mother and all you had to do is marry my daughter, but you chose your own wants over your mother.”

“I think he made the right choice,” Celestia said as she entered the room. She looked completely fine. If I didn’t see her last night, I would have believed she was never on the precipice of death.

“How?” The king asked with his jaw on the ground.

“Because of me,” Desert said. “You had no right to use his mother as a bargaining chip. Of course he would do anything to save her and you took advantage of that. Plus, did you even consider that I don’t love him. I want to marry somepony I love not somepony I have to. I stole the flower, prepared the tea, and give it to the princess before the ceremony.”

“We will talk about this when we get home,” the king said. He stormed out in a fit of rage, not even waiting for his daughter.

“Thank you for having me,” Desert said. “You have a lovely city and I’m honored to be a guest here. I hope to return soon to see the changes you have made, Prince Golden.”

Desert left the room, leaving only me and my mother. The first thing I did was hug her tight.

“I was so afraid of losing you,” I said.

“You shouldn’t have,” she said with a smile. “A good leader never worries about just one pony.”

“But dad would have and he was a great leader.”

“True,” she said with a chuckle. “So, are you ready to take on this responsibility? It’s a pretty big step up.”

“If you think I’m ready than I’ll lead Equestria and give it everything I’ve got.”

Cadence, Blueblood, Octavia, and her parents walked into the room shortly after. Octavia’s parents told me how she has been raving about a boy that she has been going crazy for. They’ve never seen their daughter like this and they were overjoyed that she found her one true love.

The changes Blueblood said he wanted to make had already started happening. He introduced himself to Octavia like a gentleman. She would have been angry with him for making her wear that outfit, but the whole thing brought us together and no pony really saw her wear it. As he wanted, I gave him most of my old responsibilities. He did a pretty good job at them and finally saw the stallion he wanted to be.

Cadence eventually confessed her love to Shining Armor. He responded by asking her on a date and eventually for her hand in marriage. Cadence has never been happier than when she is with him and it filled me with joy to see her that happy. Sometime after their wedding, I had to say good bye to my sister and my friend, as they went to live in the Crystal Empire. They still come back to Canterlot with their daughter every now and then.

The king returned to his land discouraged. He continued to trade with Equestria, but only because he had to, not because he wanted to. One of my fears was a declaration of war at any moment, but it never came. I was able to breathe again when I heard his daughter took his place and she wanted open communication between our kingdoms. Under Queen Desert Blossom, Saddle Araba became the center of culture. Beautiful buildings and statues were erected, which motivated the ponies to make the place they live even better. Octavia and I travel there every few years to see when the same things and we are blow away every time.

Princess Celestia took her extra time to take on a few more students. Each were unique and special in their own way. She asked me to take on Twilight’s lessons, but not because she took on too many new students. According to Celestia, Twilight needs a certain mentor must meet certain requirements that only the leader of Equestria could meet. She loved watching their skills blossom and watching them realize their true potential. She also spent time with the new additions to our family.

Octavia and I married a few months later and it was the happiest day of my life. She never let being a princess get to her, however. She was always humble and generous with the power. Her biggest motion was to bring the arts to children. After getting approval from a committee, Octavia was able to buy new instruments, refurbish school theaters, and fund art related clubs all across Equestria.

Our love never died or even faded. Of course there were somethings we didn’t agree on and we had some fights here and there, but whatever anger we felt towards each other was overshadowed by our love. Some ponies may have said we loved each other too much, so we brought three kids into the world to make up for it. Our first daughter came at a bit of a surprise to us, but we were happy just the same. We had our first son almost three years later and our youngest daughter two years after that. The five of us, along with my mother, Octavia’s parents, Cadence’s family, and Blueblood, make one big happy family and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Comments ( 16 )

I love this story as well as Mother Celestia

That was very good :twilightsmile:

6631720 Mmmmm tasty guards with a side of cake white walker

this was a beautifull story!
it would have been amazing if this was a story on his own with more details and chapters, but this was amazing anyway!
good job

6632553

That just made my day. :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

:ajsmug:6633283 No prob, that guy was really irking me.

:ajbemused:6747703 oh just admit you wrote the wrong number.

It's a cute story. A little fanfic-y in the sense that Golden is interacting with fan favorites. But I still like it.

6747753
Oh no, I do. I totally realize it's the wrong number. It's a little fun for me to try and justify the mistake. I think I put five because I already knew I wanted to add Spits and I got ahead of myself. Thanks for catching it.

6747790 yeah I knew what you were doing. I am guilty of those things too, just wanted to be a smart ass

6920239
I don't know what chart you're taking about but I can describe them. They are bipeds, covered in fur, and have hands (and some other human parts). Their feet are still hooves (basically you can switch feet and hooves) and they still use terms like calling there hair on top of their heads "mane". Oh, and I'm going to leave it up to you to decide if they have tails. I never mention a tail and it's never been asked, so I guess people assumed they didn't have them. I like to picture them without tails, but whatever you think is fine. Unicorns have horns on their foreheads, Pegasi have wings on their backs, alicorns have both. If neither are mentioned assume earth pony.

More importantly, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN RECOMMENDING THIS STORY?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It's still mind blowing to me that even 50 people read this. So whoever gave you the recommendation give them a big thanks from me. I hope you enjoy it and if you don't please tell me why. This was my first story and I'm still trying to improve. Oh and feel free to point out any mistakes because I didn't start out with editors and even when people where helping, some things slipped through.

6924655 It would definitely add to the daww factor, using child speech.

7206085
Okay, all valid arguments. I wrote this trying to find a style I like and I knew going in and coming out, it wasn't going to be great. I highly value your opinion and I'm not asking you like it.

The only thing is you didn't need to add the drink bleach. Like that one actually hurt me as a person.

7508690

It's tagged antro... I call them ponies because they are more pony like than human.

well i believe i favorited this story motnhs ago and was going through said list and noticed i hadnt read it yet... so i quickly downloaded it and finished it within a couple days as i wasnt too busy, and ill be damned if you didnt some how manage to make me rethink points in my life, you just made me take a step back and take it all in with a new perspective. thanks for the great story i hope you continue your work on completing the sequel as well

9611542
WAIT can we talk about this like gentleman?
.......
......
.....
...
and by talking i mean killing blue ball with fire ... does that sound like "talk like a gentleman?"

Login or register to comment