• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,458 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,458

Chapter 12: Departure

I thought that Blueblood would stay at the gala that night. All I wanted was one day that I had to think about Blueblood, that’s it. When I saw him take Angel outside, I became furious. I considered going to Captain Iron Side’s heavy bag and hitting it a few times. That thought was almost immediately dismissed by the thought of just hitting Blueblood. I tried making my way to the door, but fighting your way through a crowed of dancing ponies is extremely hard. Even when I did make it out, there were ponies that stopped by Fancy Pants.

“Great party, old sport,” he said while stepping in front of me. Fancy Pants is extremely social and never misses an opportunity to talk to somepony, especially Canterlot elite.

“Sorry, Fancy Pants, but I…”

“I mean you really have out done yourself this time.”

“Fancy, I don’t have time…”

“You know, you should throw parties like this more often.”

“I really need to go,” I said after finally pushing past him. “I’m sorry. I’ll talk to you later.”

I ran into an empty hallway, but I head their voices. I was too angry to care about what they were saying and I just ran towards the voices. When I found them, Blueblood was dragging Angel somewhere.

“Let go of her Blueblood!” I shouted as I ran towards them.

“Stay out of this, porter!” He shouted back. “This doesn’t involve you!”

“If it involves her it involves me!”

“Please,” Angel said, “Both of you stop!”

“Oh no!” Blueblood said. If his coat was any other color, it would be white with rage. “He didn’t back off so this is what the porter gets.”

“For the last damn time, I am not a porter!”

“Either way, you don’t need to be part of this. Why don’t you just go back to your little party.”

“First off, it’s your sister’s party. It could have been your party too if you didn’t do stuff like this. Second, I already told you. If it involves her, it involves me.”

“Why? All you are to her is a little filly crush. This is all the time you two will have together. Within a week, she’ll forget all about you. Don’t believe me? Angel, what was the name of your last colt-friend?” Angel didn’t respond. I’m positive that it was because she was in shock of the whole thing “It was Tom Buckhanan.”

“I don’t believe you. Angel and I have something that you can never understand.”

“You think it’s something that I can’t understand? What makes you think that Angel and I haven’t experienced that same thing?”

“Because she doesn’t love you!” I screamed at the top of my lungs. “And she never has.” There was a moment of silence between all of us. “And she never will. Do you want to know why, Blueblood? It’s because all you are to her is a means to an end. The only reason why she pretended to be with you is so she can come to Canterlot. Now she doesn’t need you anymore. She has me.”

“Now which one of us is the liar?”

“It’s true. Tell him, Angel.”

Angel didn’t respond. She was almost cowering in fear from us. She was sitting against the wall watching the two of us fight. She looked like she was about to cry, but was afraid to make a sound. It was heartbreaking to watch her down there looking at me in fear. I got down on both knees and started to stroke her cheek.

“Angel, please tell Blueblood what you told me. Tell him that you never loved him. Tell him about the night on the balcony and everything we’ve been through. Tell him that you love me.”

“Please, porter. You’ll never have what Angel and I have. That first night we were together was amazing. I know our first dance was magical for her as it was for me. That’s the one thing that you can’t understand, because she fell in love with me that night.”

“Please say anything Angel. Anything.” She still didn’t respond.

“See. If she loved you, she would side with you. Now come along, Angel.”

“Please, Angel. Just say something. Angel, please just prove him wrong. I love you.”

She still didn’t respond. That was the most heartbreaking thing about this whole encounter. If she would have just said one thing, even if it was just “stop”, there would be some validity in my actions. I would have felt like I fought for something. But she didn’t say anything, she just sat there and continued to look through me in horror.

“Just say it back, Angel. I love you.”

“Like I said, she doesn’t love you. Come along, Angel.”

She didn’t move. It was as if she became a statue and nothing was going to move her. Blueblood walked off thinking Angel was following her, but he never turned around to check. He didn’t care about her, he just didn’t want me to have something he knew that he could never get. We sat in that hallway across from each other in silence for a while, not saying a word to one another. She eventually got up and went to bed. I continued to sit there by myself. I replayed the events in my head over and over again.

I wondered if there was something different I should have done. I thought of all the different things I could have said to Angel to make her talk. I realized that there was nothing I could have done differently. I would always go after Blueblood. I would always have a confrontation with Blueblood. I would always tell Angel that I loved her. Nothing would change and I would always end up in an empty hallway.

“Are you alright,” Cadence said. I didn’t notice her at first, but she didn’t speak up until now.

“How much of that did you hear?”

“All of it.”

“I’m sorry Cadence.”

“For what?”

“I ruined your party.”

“No you didn’t. Blueblood did.”

“No, I did. If I didn’t even talk to Angel, than none of this would be happening. If I never confronted Blueblood that one morning, than she wouldn’t have even considered me as a colt-friend. If I would have never left the party and continued to talk to Fancy Pants, than we wouldn’t be here.”

Cadence gave me a hug, but it was a bit awkward as we were both sitting.

“None of this is your fault. You didn’t fall in love with her. Both of you fell in love with each other. Angel came to you that night in her hour of need and you were there for her. And who knows what would have happened if you didn’t follow them. For all we know, Blueblood could be having his way with her right now. And do you know why you did all of that? It’s because you’re in love. Love does make you do crazy stupid things, but it’s those things take make people believe that you care. Angel went to bed tonight knowing that you care for her and that you love her and that’s all she could really ask for. Sure you may feel like crap now, but that’s what those things do. Don’t think of it as you feeling like crap, think of it as she doesn’t feel like crap. And in the end, isn’t that was love is? It’s not a selfish, spoiled, little brat. It’s definitely not what Blueblood is. It’s putting that one person before yourself. It’s making sure that the other person is happy before making sure you’re happy.”

I took a moment to soak it all in.

“I think you should go to bed, Golden. You need some time just for you to relax.” Cadence helped me to my feet and gave me a proper hug. I hugged her back. The longer we hugged, the better it felt. It felt like the entire burden of the night was lifted off of my back.

“Thanks Cadence. Happy Birthday.”

Cadence went back to enjoy her party. I walked back to my room in silence, thinking about what Cadence said. I thought about going into Angel’s room and talking to her, but decided against it. I just went into my room, changed into my pajamas, and went to bed. I fell asleep thinking that I was going to make sure everything was oaky first thing tomorrow. For now, Cadence was right. I needed some time to myself.

I woke up to the sound of a chariot taking off. I ran to my window to see who was in it, but I was too late. I decided to run to Angel’s room, but I saw a note when I reached the door. I took the note and read it on my bed. Some of the words were smeared by what I think is a tear, but the whole thing was still legible.

Dear Prince Golden Shield

The past months have been the best of my life. I am so bless to have met Cadence and Shining, and everyone else, but you more than the others. I’m sorry that I didn’t speak up last night, as I was thinking about us. If I would have said something last night, than it would have been these four words: I love you too. I’ve had crushes on other colts before, but you are the only one that I have truly loved. I know you feel the same way and that is going to comfort me as I return to school. I hope the knowledge of me loving you will help you through whatever you do. I want our paths to cross again more than I want air. Please, Golden, whatever you do, whoever you meet, you won’t forget me, as I will never forget you. Please take care of yourself.

With much love,

Angel

Reading the letter was the final straw. I broke down crying, but it wasn’t because of Angel, it was because of Blueblood. He had won. He took something that meant the world to me and there was nothing I could do about it.

One by one, my friends came in and read the letter. I asked them not to read it out loud. I had already read it once, and the last thing I wanted was to hear somepony say it. They each tried to comfort me, but none of it helped. The idea that I couldn’t hear Angel’s voice or even see her didn’t help. I didn’t attend dinner for the next three night. All I did was sit in my room and re-read the only book in there The Great Gallopsby. I hated the book afterwards because it reminded me too much of this summer.

It was Sunday, the day before sophomore year. I didn’t even know if I would go to the first day of school. It was about 9:30 at night and I was almost ready to go to sleep. There was a knock at my door.

“I don’t want to talk, Cadence.” I said from my bed.

“Can I please come in?” Celestia said. I didn’t say anything, but that was because my mom knew that she was always welcome in my room. She opened the door and peeked her head in. “Can we talk, Golden”

“Sure.” She took a seat at the end of bed. She was still in her favorite dinner dress. “I now know how you must have felt when you lost your onion farmer.”

“After you told me that you and Angel were dating, I decided to stay out of your mane with this. Cadence told me what happened and I again decided to let you handle this on your own. I now know that is the worst things for me to do. I thought about what I should do and I decided to tell you what happened when I lost the farmer.

“I hired a small group of guards to find him. At first they didn’t find anything. Every year afterwards, I hired another team to find him. I’m not sure if I wanted him back or if I just wanted to know if he was alright. They eventually found him, but I don’t remember exactly when. I dropped everything I was doing and went to him. I didn’t even realize how long it had been. When I finally made it to his farm house, he was on his death bed. He told me that I was just as beautiful as the day we met and the idea that I would come one day, motivated him. His final words were “I love you.” He died knowing that the pony that loved him when he was younger, was willing to seek him out. That’s what I took away from all of this. There is always somepony that loves you and will always be there for you.”

“And how does this apply to my situation?”

“Because that’s who you are to Angel. She may have family and friends back in Fillydelpha, but she’s never had somepony like you. There has never been somepony who loved and cared for her. Whenever she needs to do something that she thinks she can’t, she’ll think of you. You are the one pony who can be there for her, without being there. And that’s the most important thing you can be.”

“So, I have to feel awful?”

“No. All you have to do is keep her in mind and you will always be happy. I’ve never forgotten about the farmer. Every time I feel lost or alone, all I have to do is think about him and I know that he will always be with me.”

I thought about what Celestia said to me. She was right. There were point in the last three days when I thought about Angel and I could have sworn she was there. Every time, I thought about that one night when she slept in my room. For a few moments, I could feel her next to me.

“I didn’t think of it like that.”

“Sometimes it takes someone outside the situation to add a little perspective. Now are you feeling better?”

“Yeah. Thanks, mom.”

“You’re welcome, my little pony. Now, you should probably get ready to go to sleep. School starts tomorrow.” She stood up and walked towards the door.

“Hey, mom,” I said before she left the room.

“Yes,” she said.

“I don’t know if there are times when you don’t feel like a mom, but I want you to know that you are the best mom anypony could ask for. You’re always there for me and Cadence and when one of us falls, you’re always there to pick us up. Whenever either of us are happy, you find a way to make us even happier. I don’t care if you didn’t give birth to me, you’re my mom.”

“Thank you, Golden. Good night,” she said as she left my room with a smile.

I smiled back and put out my lantern. I laid down in my bed and tried to go to sleep. As I started to drift off, I felt somepony kiss my cheek. I tuned to see who it was, but no pony was there. I knew that it was Angel, thinking of me as I was thinking about her.

Author's Note:

A short chapter, but I still think one of the most powerful. I wrote a lot of this at school, and I am really proud of the parts I wrote there.

As always, I hope that you enjoy this chapter because I always enjoy writing them.

If you guys haven't noticed yet, I have a new story out about Rarity and Twilight in our world and I'm have some crazy ideas I'm excited about.

Finally, how do you guys feel about bonus chapters. They would be chapter of things that happened when Golden wasn't around, so they would be told in the third person. I would also write them after I'm done with the story.