• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,457 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,457

Chapter 6: Cutie

All of Equestria was buzzing with the news of Celestia adopting me. By the next morning, all of Canterlot heard. By noon, all of Cloudsdale knew. By the end of the day, even the griffins knew. It’s all anypony talked about for months, even at school. Foals would gather around me, asking me questions I didn’t know the answer to, mainly because I’ve only been a prince for a day. No matter who said what or how far the news spread, my real mom never turned up. I was still sad that I still haven’t met her, but a bit happy that I get to spend more time with Celestia.

I didn’t really like being called a prince, just like how Cadence didn’t like being called a princess. We just really wanted to be seen just like any other pony. Unfortunately, only a few ponies really stopped calling us prince and princess, and that’s because they knew us the best.

Anyway, this part of the story isn’t about the day after, it’s about the next two years. In the second grade, most ponies knew who their real friends were. Everypony liked each other in class, but we it’s not like we hung out in a big group at recess. By the end of the year, the only ponies following us home were Octavia, Vinyl, and Shining. Needless to say, the older we got, the less popular we became.

Now we’re entering the third grade. Remember when I said that it’s rare for a pony to not have their cutie mark when they are in the third grade. That wasn’t a problem for most of us.

Octavia was first. Not just first in our group, but first in our class. The five of us were overjoyed when it happened. Even Celestia wanted to celebrate. She invited our friends and their families to dinner that night. She honored Octavia that night in a style similar that she did when she announced my adoption.

“Ladies and Gentlecolts,” she said that night with Octavia standing next to her, “We are born with a special talent. At some point in our lives, we recognize that special talent and it comes to fruition. Whether it’s painting, exploring, or even just reading, each talent must be nourished in order to make something beautiful. Today, this young filly has discovered her special talent. She has the opportunity to not only make something beautiful, but to bring joy and entertainment to millions each day. Please give a round of applause to Octavia Melody!”

The entire room went wild with ponies clapping. I could see both of her parents with tears in her eyes. Even Vinyl was tearing up, but she wiped it away quickly.

“Enjoy this,” Celestia said to Octavia, “this will be the first of many.”

I should explain. Soprano Symphony, Octavia’s father, really wanted Octavia to get her cutie mark.

“It’s not because I’m an impatient stallion, I just want her to find an instrument.” He told us.

He tried almost every instrument. Flute, piano, violin, trumpet, drums, but none of them caught her interest. She was mastered all of them almost instantly, but she could never really see herself playing it for a long time. Nothing that she tried even came close to her getting her cutie mark. She was so close to saying that she shouldn’t even get into music.

The next day, our school introduced us to a music program. Our class was taken to a room full of instruments and they told us to “find one that calls to you.” I took the trumpet, Cadence took the harp, and Shining took the drums. Vinyl never really did find an instrument, but it was fun watching her trying to play every one in there. It became more of a hobby for the rest of us, but not to Octavia. In the middle of the room, there was a large cello sitting in a stand. She swears that the light hit it just right, and it was shining like a star at night.

While the rest of us were playing away at our instruments, not really making a coherent song, Octavia was busy getting ready to play. When she finally did, the room went silent. Unlike the rest of us, each note slipped silently into the next. Every time she pulled the bow back and forward, another heavenly note came out. Even with her arms stretched to their length, she still played as if she was a professional. When she finally finished, a light started coming out of her neck. The next thing we knew, there was a purple treble clef on the right side of her neck.

We of course celebrated at school, rushed to her house, and told her parents. When Cadence and I got back to the castle, we told Celestia. In the last minute, she invited them for dinner. That now brings us up to dinner and Celestia speech.

Vinyl was next. Because we didn’t know when my actual birthday was, so we just celebrate the day Celestia found me, which was during the summer. It really was a great “birth” day party. Almost every foal in our class showed up to the castle. By the end of the day, only the five of us were left, playing with all the new toys in my room. Cadence and Octavia were really the only playing. My favorite gift was a record player and a set of records Celestia gave me. We played the records and just sat back and enjoyed the music.

“Today was a lot of fun,” Vinyl said while she was leaning back on my bed.

“Yeah, thanks for having us over.” Shining was sitting on the floor near the bed and next to Cadence.

“Don’t thank me, thank my mom.” Cadence snickered as she always does, but none of us paid attention. “And think you, Octavia, for playing that song on your cello for me.”

“It wasn’t a problem at all. I’m just glad that you liked it.”

“Hey, I’m going to get some water,” Vinyl said as she sat up and started getting off the bed, “Does anypony else want something.”

“I’ll take a glass.”

“You got it Shinin...whoa!” Vinyl had got her hoof caught on a rug and tripped. As a reflex, she used her hands to try and break her fall. One hand landed on the floor and the other on the record. This scratched it, but it also made this cool sound. “Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry, Golden. I didn’t mean too…”

“Did you hear that?” I said, interrupting her. “Can you do it again?”

“What? You mean this?” Vinyl started to scratch the record back and forward. This made changed the song and gave it a kick or a little extra spice. We all loved what she was doing and encouraged her to do it with other records. This of course ruined the records, but I found a spell that could fix them. We started dancing to the music that she was making. Vinyl was obviously enjoying herself too, and everypony knew it. We went through the entire stack of records before the light started coming out of her neck. When the light faded, we saw a backwards double quaver on her neck.

When Vinyl’s mom came to pick her up, she wanted to celebrate. She deiced to take Vinyl to the mall and she could have anything she wanted. Her final decision was a pair of sunglasses. She wore those thing every day we saw her. We made jokes saying that they were glued to her face.

Shining Armor got his next. Since the day they met, Shining Armor and Cadence have gotten close. She always called the two of us her two brothers. I’m not sure how he felt about this, but it was obvious to me, Octavia, and Vinyl how he felt about her.

His story starts about half way through second grade. He came to school with a big smile on his face and there was nothing that could bring him down.

“Why are you so happy?” Vinyl asked him.

“I have big news!” He said as he approached us. “My mom and dad are going to have a baby! I’m going to be a big brother!”

Shining Armor had always told us that he wanted to be a big brother. He didn’t care if it was a brother or a sister, he just wanted a sibling. We were happy for him. It’s something that he wanted and we’re glad that he’s going to get it. There’s only one thing that ruined our time.

“Hey little ones,” a dark green pegasus. His name was Lightning Arc, a fifth grader that liked to pick on us. Every morning he likes to make fun of each of us. “You know what Vinyl, I didn’t like those glasses at first, but now that I think about it, they cover your ugly eyes.”

“How dare you speak to her like that,” Octavia said in her defense.

“And now we hear from that annoying voice. Honestly, ‘Tavi’ the only thing more annoying than your voice is that cello of yours.”

“First off,” I said, “no pony calls her ‘Tavi’, not even us. Second, you’re just jealous that she can play an instrument and all you can do is kick clouds.”

“That’s a good one, did your real mom teach you that? Oh, wait, you don’t even know who your real mom is. Why don’t you go crying back to Celestia?”

“That’s Princess Celestia to you,” Cadence said.

“And what do we have here? All powerful alicorn who can’t even get into her aunt’s school. You don’t deserve to be a princess.”

The more he talked, the angrier Shining Armor became. He with each comment, you could physically see his anger grow. Lightning’s comment towards Cadence was the last straw for him. I was angry too, but he acted first.

“That’s enough!” he yelled

“Well look at you. Shin-”

“I don’t want to hear it. Why don’t you just leave us alone? Not just today. Not just this week. Forever!”

“And what are you going to do about it?”

Suddenly, Shining’s horn started to glow. It started growing brighter and brighter and a ball of energy started to form at the end of his horn. Lightning started to move backwards and started flying away.

“Hey look at that, I gotta…” He flew away as fast as he could. From that day, he started to avoid us as if we have the plague. He says he doesn’t know where it came from or what the spell would have done. I think it started because he is protective towards Cadence and he will be protective towards his new brother or sister. There was so much going on that we didn’t even realize that he got his cutie mark, a blue shield with his family’s star and three white stars above it. That leaves me and Cadence.

It’s now that day before third grade and our necks are still bare, or they were this morning.

The five of us were sitting in the grass in Canterlot Park, just enjoying our last day of summer break. It was a nice sunny day with a slight cool breeze. Everypony was there enjoying the day. We were all lying there, looking up at the clouds, when a baseball flew by and landed in the streets.

“A little help!” A colt yelled.

“I got it.” Cadence said to us as she got up. Why she didn’t use her magic, I’ll never know, but I’m glad she didn’t. As she bent down to get the ball, a cart came rushing down street.

“Cadence!” The four of us yelled. She looked up and saw the cart rushing towards her and she froze. We all stood there in horror, not really sure what to do. I thought and wished there was some way for me to get to her in an instant. Out of nowhere, I felt a twinge of magic in my horn. There was a golden flash and I found myself right next to Cadence. I grabbed her and held onto her as hard as I could. There was another golden flash and we were next to our friends again. When the two of us realized that we were safe, we hugged each other harder than ever before. While we were hugging, the light started coming from my neck. When it faded, there was a yellow shield with sabers behind it and a crown above it.

“How did you do that?” Vinyl asked, still in shock.

“I’m not sure. I was thinking of some way to save Cadence and the next thing I knew, that happened.”

“It doesn’t matter now,” Octavia said while giving Cadence a hug. “All we care about is that the both of you are safe.”

“And you got your cutie mark.” Shining Armor said while he was patting my back.

That night, Princess Celestia honored me. Not because I got my cutie mark, but for acts of bravery and cunning in a tight situation. Cadence was openly depress at the foal table that night.

“What’s wrong, darling?” Octavia said. Cadence wasn’t eating, just moving around her pasta with her fork.

“Darling?” Vinyl asked. She even lifted her sunglasses to give her a look.

“I wanted to try it out. Anyway, what’s wrong?”

“All of you have your cutie marks, and we start third grade tomorrow. I feel like such a loser.”

“You’re not a loser, Cadence. You’re one of the nicest sweetest ponies that I’ve ever known.” Shining Armor said.

“Thanks Shining, but what are the other ponies going to say? A princess without a cutie mark? They’re going to have a field day with me.”

“Well, then we’ll be there to tell them off.” Vinyl said. She got angry just thinking about what the other foals were going to say.

“Thanks guys, but their words still hurt.”

“Cadence, you are a one in a million pony,” I said, “and you always will be. You are a princess with five great friends. You are really the only pony in all of Equestria that can say that. You have ponies that love you for who you are and not what they see. That is way more important than any cutie mark.” Cadence gave me a smile and I knew that I lifted her spirits. Whatever cloud was over her head was now gone, which made the rest of us happy.

I had some problems falling a sleep that night because I couldn’t stop thinking about Cadence and how sad she was at dinner. I somehow managed to fall asleep that night. I woke up the next morning and got ready for school. Usually, Cadence and I would be ready at the same time, but today, I was walking to the personal dining room by myself. When Cadence finally came in, she was glowing with excitement. I was wondering why, until I saw it. A light blue heart surrounded by golden lace on her neck.

“How did you…when did you…what?” I was at a loss for words. In about nine hours, Cadence somehow got her cutie mark.

“I don’t know, but I’m not complaining! I got my cutie mark, Golden!” We celebrated a bit and finished our breakfast. We headed out to school with grins on our faces.

Author's Note:

This is why the last chapter was my least favorite. I really wanted to get that chapter out of the way so I could get this one up. Thank you again for still reading. I'm having a great time writing.

I know some of you wanted Vinyl to call her crying liquid pride, but I didn't do it here. Does't mean that I'm never going to use it.

A special thanks to all of you who have been commenting. I do read all of them and I'm glad you are all enjoying the story.

A vary special thanks to Hunter reaper and Thunder Rift. I really do enjoy reading your comments the most. I'm happy that you two are really liking the story.

While writing this note, I realize that I left some pony out of the story, so guess who's coming back.