• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,458 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,458

Chapter 14: Dread

“Oh god!” Cadence said. “Where is he? His room isn’t ready. He has to give me some warning!”

“Relax Cadence, it’s just me,” Angel said. We thought it was a little entertaining to watch her freak out.

“It’s so good to see you,” Cadence said and gave Angel a hug. “What are you doing here?”

“Didn’t you get my letter?”

“I haven’t gotten any letters from you in months. I thought…”

“What? No! Never! It might have been our new mail pony. She’s a bit derpy, but young. Anyway, my dad’s company moved to Canterlot, which means…”

“You’re moving here,” I said. I gave Angel another hug and she hugged me back. Cadence laughed when she saw my horn glow and her wings extend.

“What are you laughing about?” I said, “Do I need to remind you about Homecoming?”

“What happened?” Angel asked. Cadence started to blush as she remembered that night.

“Cadence and Shining were dancing to a slow song. Shining held her close and their horns were glowing and her wings were out.”

“Wait, does that mean that you and Shining are a couple now?”

“We’ve been dating for a few months now.” Cadence was smiling at just the thought of her and Shining.

“Oh my god, that’s amazing!” Angel said. We stayed in the park until sunset, where we had to get ready for dinner. We walked Angel to her new house, which wasn’t too far off from Octavia’s house. Before we kissed good-bye I told her that she was always welcome at the castle.

“Did you do this?” I said to Cadence as we walked home.

“What? No? I mean, it’s not that I haven’t given it thought before, but I didn’t move her father’s company here. I think this might be destiny.”

I smiled at the idea of destiny. Of course, our cutie marks imbedded in us, but I wasn’t thinking of that destiny. I was thinking of the idea that there really is somepony for everypony. It wasn’t until we reached the castle that I realized that I was the happiest that I’ve been since school started. That’s all it took, an hour or two with Angel.

That night, after dinner, Angel and I snuck up to the balcony. It hadn’t dawned on me that I met Angel a year ago today until I saw her looking out to the city. It reminded me of that first night. I remember how she looked out into the city like a little filly looking at a completely full candy jar. She still looks like that. She still sees the amazingness of the city lit up by ponies houses and the street lights. Even if it was completely dark, she would still lookout into the city and think of the sheer number of ponies sleeping, dreaming, hoping.

“Do you know what today is?” I say as I approach her. She turns around and leans against the edge and puts her hands on the rail for support.

“Of course I do. We had our first kiss right here a year ago,” She said “It’s also the day that I realized that you were the one for me.” I turned her back around and but my arms around her. We stood their quietly for a few minutes. We didn’t need to say anything. All we needed was each other. It didn’t matter that I was a prince. It didn’t matter that she was pegasus. It didn’t matter where we were. All that mattered is that we had each other. I know it sounds corny, but it was true. We could have been anywhere today. So long as we had each other, everything was going to be fine.

We did eventually recreate the magic of that night by kissing around the same spot as a year ago. I then walked her home. It was a little weird not walking her back to her room, but I moved on. Recently, Celestia would send a guard with me at night. They tried to keep their distance and hide, but it’s easy to hear two hooves weighed down by armor. We ignored it and moved on. When we got to her door, I gave her one last kiss and she went inside. The path home passed outside Octavia’s house, and she was, of course, waiting for me.

“So, I bet you’re happy,” She said with a slight grin.

“Over the moon,” I said

“Are you going to tell her about us?”

“What about us?”

“How you basically spent the entire school year pretending I was her. How we acted like we were the only two ponies that mattered.”

“That was nothing, Octavia, we both know that.”

“I know, but she doesn’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“When a mare is in love with a colt, they want to be the only mare that colt sees. We want to know that we’re the only mare that you should think about. If it was up to us, than the only contact you would have with another mare was your own mother.”

“That’s not Angel. She knows that I love her. She knows that she doesn’t have to compete for me and that I would die for her. Plus, she knows that we’re just friends and when I explain why we did what we did, she’ll completely understand.”

“If you say so.” Octavia rolled her eyes and went back into her house. I walked home, having to put up with a guard trying to sneak around.

Angel and I made plans to meet each other at the café to catch up. I arrived first and ordered a coffee for me and one for Angel. She snuck up behind me when I was adding the cream and sugar to her drink.

“You remembered how I like my coffee,” She said.

“Of course,” I said as I handed her the coffee and we found a table.

“Alright, you first,” I said, “What happened when ponies at your school found out that you dumped Blueblood?”

“It was amazing. I became the most popular mare in school. The freshmen coming into the school knew who I was. The only thing is that I haven’t seen Blueblood since we got back.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“It would be worse if he didn’t force himself on me. What about you? What did I miss in Canterlot?”

“Well you already know about Cadence and Shining. I broke my leg.”

“How?”

“It was just a Hoofball accident, I was walking around in a week.”

“I’m just glad that you’re fine. Golden, can I ask you something.”

“Of course.”

“You have to promise to be honest.” I saw her hand on the table and I held it. I looked her in the eye with a smile and she knew that I was going to be honest. “What happened between you and Octavia? I noticed how she looked at you at dinner. Something happened between you two.”

I thought about what I was going to say to her and decided on my first instinct: the truth.

“Last year, there was this creep that stalked Octavia. She told him that we were going out so he would stop following her. I’m not going to lie to you, Angel. She kissed me.” Angel drew back a bit in complete shock. “I promise you, it was nothing. I didn’t kiss her back and it meant nothing. Absolutely nothing. You have to believe me.”

“I do trust you,” she said as she gripped my hand a little harder. “I know that you love me and you wouldn’t do anything to hurt me. I don’t know about Octavia. She could have said Shining or some other pony, but she didn’t. She said you. Do you know what that tells me? It tells me that she might have a thing for you. Golden, I wouldn’t ask this unless I needed it. Can you please stop hanging around Octavia?”

“Please don’t do this to me.” I said completely monotone.

“Please, Golden. If she asks, you can throw me under the carriage, you can make me look like a total bitch and it would just be for a few weeks. Just long enough to remind her that you have me.”

I didn’t say anything at first. I couldn’t understand why she would ask me to just ignore Octavia. On one hand, I would do anything for Angel. I would leap out of my window if she asked me to. However, Octavia is one of my closest friends. We’ve been there for each other at our lowest points and applauded each other at our highest.

“Can you let me sleep on it?” I say

“Take all the time you need.” Angel stood up with her coffee. She walked over to me and kissed me on the cheek. “I love you,” she said

“Love you too.” I sat there for half an hour drinking my coffee. I was so lost in thought and didn’t notice that I’ve been out of coffee for about ten minutes. I finally realize that there really is only one pony that can help me.

I walked back to the castle in hopes of finding Cadence. To my luck, Cadence was sitting in the garden with Shining. I didn’t mind sharing with him as well. Since we were the only two colts in our group, Shining and I have become like brothers.

I sat down next to them and explained to them my situation. While talking, I noticed Twilight chasing a butterfly. It reminded me of when Cadence and I were young and we would play in the gardens. Back when nothing was complicated and all we had to do was just be foals.

“Wow,” Shining said in shock, “I’m glad I’m not in your position.”

“Well it’s the one I’m in. I have no idea what to do.”

“It’s a hard place to be,” Cadence said. “Do you gain Angel’s trust, but maybe lose Octavia as a friend, or do you stay loyal to Octavia and maybe lose the mare you love?”

“She said I can blame it all on her so Octavia would know it’s what she wants.”

“Fuck that,” Shining said after making sure that Twilight was out of earshot. She was closer to the gardens hedge maze and couldn’t hear us. Our group doesn’t normally cuss, as we see it as the lowest form of expressing yourself verbally, but Shining seemed to think it was appropriate.

“Shining!” Cadence said. If there was anypony that hated cussing, it was defiantly Cadence.

“Sorry Cadence, but you can’t do that, Golden. In Griffin Hoofball we learn to always have each other’s back. You always have to be there for these ponies or else they won’t be there for you. What if you and Angel do end up breaking up? Then you’ll be out two mares.”

“But he loves her,” Cadence said, “And when you love somepony, you’ll do anything for them. Golden, this is your chance to prove your love to her. It’s only going to be a few weeks and Octavia will understand.”

The amazing thing about Cadence and Shining is that they never argue, No matter what the topic is or how much they differ, they will never argue. I think it’s because they don’t want to argue in public. Given the chance when no pony is watching, they would fight until the sun rises.

“What do you think, Golden?” Cadence said.

“I still have no idea,” I said after a long pause.

I got up and went to my room to listen to my records and think. That’s when I do best thinking is when I’m blasting Bit Jovi. The entire time The Great Gallopsby was sitting there. I haven’t read it since last year. I thought that he was lucky as he never had to choose between his friend and his love. Then I remembered that he was shot and was glad that I wasn’t him.

“Golden, can you turn that down,” Celestia said as she came into my room.

“Sorry, mom,” I said and turned down Wanted Alive or Dead.

“What’s wrong?”

“Who said anything was wrong?”

“The last time you played your music that loud was when you were deciding if you wanted to play Hoofball or Baseball. Now, what’s the choice this time?”

“I…I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Since when don’t you want to talk about it? You always want to talk about your problems with me.”

“I just don’t want to talk about it, mom!” I shouted. It was the first time I’ve ever shouted at my mom. “I don’t always feel like talking to ponies. Sometimes I just want to figure things out on my own.” I noticed that Celestia was a bit shocked. Like I said, I haven’t talked to Celestia like that.

“Alright,” she said, “I’ll leave you alone.” Celestia got up and walked towards the door.

“Wait, mom. I’m sorry. I’m just under a lot of stress and need to deal with it on my own. I’ll mop the hallway for a punishment.”

“It’s alright, Golden. I understand. I can’t say that I was a perfect daughter. There were times when I raised my voice to my mother. I hope you figure it out.”

“Thanks, mom.” She left my room and I was alone to think. I weighed each option in my head and in the end decided on what was the best option.

I skipped dinner and headed to the balcony. I wasn’t sure if what I was about to do was the right decision, but it’s the one I made and I’m going to stick to it. I looked out into the city and up at the moon. I’ve always liked the mare in the moon. I like to think that it’s my real mom watching over me.

“Fancy seeing you here,” Angel said as she snuck up behind me. “Didn’t see you at dinner tonight. Is everything alright?”

“Why do you want me to stay away from Octavia?” I know it seems abrupt and aggressive, but it’s what I had to do.

“Because I’m afraid,” she said. “You’re the princess’s son and your best friend is Princess Cadence. You can have any mare you want, but for some unknown reason, you chose me. Do you know how lucky that makes me feel? I don’t want to lose you, Golden. Late at night, for the past year, I would imagine that you were in my bed and you were holding me. I don’t want to lose you to some mare because you see her more. I’m scared that somepony as beautiful as Octavia would just come by and steal you from me.” She started to cry. I walked over to her and held her close to me.

“I don’t want you to worry about that. I can have any mare, but I don’t want any mare. I want you. I don’t want Octavia, I don’t want any other mare. I love you, Angel and if Cadence has taught me anything, you don’t throw the world love around like it’s a baseball.”

“Do you mean it?”

“Of course I do. And because I love you, I can’t stop hanging out with Octavia. She’s just a friend and that’s all she’ll ever be.”

“Okay,” she said. We spent most of the night there. We talked about all kinds of things until I finally walked her home.

The rest of the summer was like last year, only without the annoyance of Blueblood. It was amazing knowing that we didn’t have to sneak around. We didn’t have to make some excuse to be alone. There were times when she spent the night at the castle. We never did anything, just cuddled.

Compared to last year, Cadence’s party was the best party ever. It didn’t fall on the same day as the gala, but Celestia still let us throw a big party. She didn’t put a limit on it or a cap on our spending. She even said that she would cover any expenses. We took her up on that offer and made it the best party Canterlot has seen. There were ponies talking about it for days, us included.

A few days later Angel, Cadence, Shining, and I were sitting near the hedge maze looking at the statues. There was one that always caught my eye because I thought it was so ugly. It was this thing that looked like a mash up of other animals. Somepony should take a sledgehammer to it.

“No the best part was when Star Heart was dancing,” Shining said, “Who dances like that?”

“The best part…” I began to say. I was interrupted by fanfare. The four of us looked up and saw fleets of carriages flying into the castle. Cadence and I looked at each other.

“You’re 17,” I said.

“You’re 17,” she said.

“What does that mean?” Angel asked.

“I love you,” Cadence and I said to Shining and Angel, respectively. We then ran towards the castle.

I’m not sure why we were running. It wasn’t like we could have stopped it. When a prince or princess turns 17, he or she is eligible for suitors, and they have to choose one. More than likely, that’s those two ponies were going to get married.

“How could we forget?” Cadence said as we ran. “It’s the day we’ve been dreading since we started high school.”

“I know, I know. Hopefully, Celestia will understand that we have Shining and Angel.” I said that, but there was no way I would believe it.

We came into the throne room to find Celestia standing there. She was wearing her favorite dress and her hair was flowing.

“There you two are,” She said, “I was about to send somepony to get you.”

“Mom,” I said out of breath, “we know what this is and please don’t make us go through with it.”

“It’s tradition, Golden.”

“Please Auntie Celestia,” Cadence said, “Why can’t we be happy with the ponies we are with right now?”

“Because it’s what we do. You two are the luckiest ponies in the world, you both know that right? There are ponies out there who would kill to even have the chance of becoming a prince or princess. One of your duties is to keep the royal family alive, and it is tradition that you marry royalty.”

“What about you?” I asked. “Why aren’t you married?”

“It wasn’t by choice. My parents didn’t want a love life to get in the way of my destiny. I don’t have that worry for you two, so I must keep the tradition in any way I can. You two have to look nice, so go get dressed.”

“But mom…” I began to say

“Enough!” Celestia said in her Royal Canterlot Voice. It was something that I’ve read about, but never seen before. Cadence tried it once, but it ended up as just her shouting in the library. It takes years of practice just to get a word out.

“We are your mother, and you will listen to us!”

“Yes ma’am.” Cadence and I said. We hung our heads and walked to our rooms. We reluctantly put on our best clothes and came back to the throne room. We stood on opposite sides of Celestia and quietly waited for our suitors. They came in each with some sort of fanfare or other flashy introduction. Soon the room was filled with ten mares and ten colts. We were told that they would live here for a week and we would have to get to know each of them. At the end of the week, we would have to make our selection. Cadence and I looked at each other. We both knew that this was going to be the longest week we’ve ever had.

Author's Note:

Angel's back! I'm not sure for how long, but she's back for now,

Thank you guys for liking the story as much as you do, otherwise this would be just a word file on my computer.

Fair warning, a part of the next chapter will be from Cadence's POV. You'll be able to skip it easily and it won't really effect the story that much.

Read On!