• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,457 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,457

Chapter 17: Decision

I don’t know how long I was sitting in the hallway. I can’t tell you what I was thinking, because I wasn’t. I just sat there, replaying everything in my head. There was a part of me that wanted to knock on Lavender’s door and spend the night with her, like I did with Angel. Then I thought about Angel. In a second I cheated on her with some girl that I had a crush on when I was nine.

I eventually decided to go back to my room and just face the music. I saw it going one of two ways. Either she yells at me and I never see her again or she asks me if it meant anything and I would say no and we find a way to move on. I’m not really sure which one I wanted, but I deserved the first one.

I got back to my room, took in a deep breath, and opened my door. I was a bit relieved to see that no pony was in my room. I walked over to my desk and saw another note.

Golden,
Thank you for stopping me. I don’t know what I was going to do, but I’m glad that you made sure that I didn’t hurt anypony. Cadence and I went to go look for you, but we don’t think that we’re going to find you. Tell Vyxsin I’m sorry and would like to try to put this night past us.
I Love You
XOXO
Angel

I didn’t read that last part. I just wanted this day to be over, so I tried to go to bed. Despite everything that happened tonight, I fell asleep easily. I had a dream about last summer. The arrival, the balcony, my birthday, Cadence’s birthday, but I was with Lavender instead of Angel.

The next morning I awoke to Celestia petting my head and softly singing.

“Mom?”

“Shhh. It’s alright.”

“That’s my lullaby. You haven’t sung that in years.”

“I know, but I used to sing this to you when you felt lost. Something told me that you need it.”

“Why are you doing this to us?” I said as I sat up.

“Because it’s something that we have to do. I had to do it when I was your age, and it’s something that your children will have to do, but I found a way out. I was hoping that you and Cadence would have figured a way out so you could be with who you want.”

“Well I did something last night that I’m not proud of. Do you remember Lavender?”

“Of course. You wouldn’t stop talking about her. That’s why I invited her, just in case you had to choose somepony I wanted to give you somepony you already had a crush on.”

“I kissed her last night.”

“Did you tell Angel?”

“I haven’t seen her.”

“You have to tell her as soon as possible. She deserves to know.”

“I know. I just feel bad.”

“I know, and it’s going to hurt for a while, but you have to suffer through it. Unfortunately, you made a mistake and you have to play the price.”

“Thanks mom.”

“Sure, sweetie.” She got up and started to walk towards the door. “I almost forgot. You have to make your decision on Friday.”

“That’s in two days. Why?”

“I don’t want to ruin the surprise.”

“Surprise?”

“Love you,” she said as she left my room. I had to admit, it was a little funny.

I got dressed for the day and was about to go to breakfast when something crossed my mind. What would Cadence think? She was with us and took Angel to find me. She will try her hardest to make me talk and I might cave.

I opened my door and found Vyxsin or Lavender about to knock on my door. She was wearing something more concretive. Nothing was showing off or sticking out. In fact one was drawn towards her face. I didn’t notice it until now, but she looks beautiful without make-up.

“Hi, Vyx-Lavender. What are you doing here?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt. I just wanted to say that I’m sorry about last night. I crossed the line and I defiantly said and did some things that I’m not proud of. I promise, Vyxsin is gone. Can we please just please put last night behind us.”

“I don’t know if we want to put everything behind us.” She started to blush, and I just realized what I said.

“Do you mean it?”

“Lavender, I loved writing to you. Out of everypony that sat at that table, you were my favorite, but I never understood why. When you stopped writing to me, it broke my heart. I tried to get you to write back to me and was crushed when I didn’t get anything back.”

“It was because I wanted to hear you. I wanted to be there when you asked about my day. I wanted you to comfort me the second I told you what was wrong.”

“But I can’t now. I was sad and one day I decided that I can’t be sad anymore. A few months later, I met Angel and now we’re together. I’m sorry, Lavender. I’m with Angel,” I said as I walked past her.

“Do you love her?” I stopped and thought about it.

“I’ll see you around.”

I continued to walk down the hallway, thinking about what Cadence would say. I knew that she would tear me apart. If not her, than Angel will.

“Having some problems?” Somepony said behind me. I turned around to see Gildheart.

“You don’t know that half of it,” I said

“Try me. And don’t give me some BS about how you can’t decide which girl to choose, because I think you’ve already made your decision.”

“It’s not that. I have, or had, a marefriend that I thought I loved. I was determined to find a way out of this whole thing because I wanted to be with her. But last night I found out that Vyxsin’s real name is Lavender and she was my first crush. I kissed her last night.”

“And you don’t know what to do now.”

“Any advice?”

“Well, that depends. How much did you like Vyxsin or Lavender or whatever she calls herself? It was apparently strong enough for you to kiss her, but that could have just been some pent up emotions or did you just need closure. Then you have to decide which on you have a stronger attraction to. Either way, you owe your marefriend the truth.”

“Wow, you are pretty insightful for a griffon. No offence.”

“None taken. If a griffon doesn’t devote themselves to strength or aggression, than they focus more on their intellect or the arts. Don’t get me wrong, I can still fight like any other griffon. I just don’t get as angry as easily.”

I was interested in how different Gildheart is. There’s a griffon at my school and he’s known for his anger. We are also taught in Griffon History that griffons have a legendary rage and have started most wars in both griffon and pony history. I decided to pick his surprisingly large brain. Without realizing it, we missed breakfast. Linebacker came by and offered to play Griffon Hoofball. Gildheart decided to go play, but I needed a way to clear my head.

I first thought about doing some laps in the pool. I wondered why I didn’t go swimming more and then I saw The Great Gallopsby and remembered that I thought I was going to be shot. I now realize how ridiculous that was.

I walked out to find Starlight, the twins, and Starney sunbathing. I jumped in, trying to make sure not to get them wet, and started swim back a forth. I lost track of how many I did and just went until I was tired.

“Loving the view, wubby,” Starlight said

“So are we,” The twins said at the same time.

“Seriously, dude. Can you just…okay?” Starney said, but I have no idea what he meant.

“I’m going to get some drinks. Prince Golden can you help me?” Sapphire said.

“Sure.” I dried off and we walked into the kitchen.

“Can you please do me a favor, prince?”

“Please, just call me Golden. I don’t like to think that I’m better than anypony else. Plus, I’ve had some bad experiences with somepony who insists that others call him prince.”

“Can you please do me a favor, Golden?”

“What do you need?”

“Ruby isn’t feeling that, how do I put this, sexy. The only advances she’s gotten are from Starney and Snowy, but they’ve been hitting on everypony.”

“Have they hooked up at all?”

“No, and their lines don’t work either. Anyway, can you just flirt with her a bit? Make her feel like she’s the only pony in the world.”

“I know just what to do.”

We walked back to the pool side and brought the others their drinks. Starney was still trying his awful lines on Ruby and Starlight.

“Ruby,” I said, “I want to show you something I know you’ll love.”

“Okay. Come on, Sapphire.”

“I think I’m going to stay here. I don’t want Starlight to be here alone with Starney. Who know what that girl would do alone with that pony.”

“Are you sure?”

“OMG, I didn’t know a pony could have a third leg,” Starlight said.

“I’m sure.”

Ruby and I walked off, but I wasn’t sure where we were going to go. I thought about what Sapphire was talking about. She wanted me to make Ruby feel like she was the only pony in the world. There was only one place that I could think of.

Just like everypony before her, Ruby is in awe of the view. Even in the day, the view from Canterlot Tower was beautiful.

“This…is…amazing!” She said as she ran towards the edge. I thought about the first time I took Angel there. She too ran towards the edge and was in awe. I was thankful that the tower was too high for an average pegasus to just fly up.

“I know. I like to come up here sometimes and just look out into the city and think of how lucky I am.”

“Does anypony else get to see this view.”

“Just members of the royal family and their guests.”

“I guess that means that I’m something special. Have you ever taken her up here? You know, Angel.”

“We had our first kiss here.”

“Oh. Do you still love her?”

“Your highness,” one of the guards said, “Princess Celestia has asked for you. I have been sent here to escort you personally. The miss may stay up here if she like.”

I didn’t say anything else to Ruby. I just left. If I had the time, I don’t know how I would have answered that question. Angel and I have put so much time and effort into our relationship. We’ve said ‘I love you’ a hundred times each. We’ve survived Blueblood, long distance, even her insecurity. She’s perfect in every way, but all it takes is one other mare and suddenly all of that is gone. Suddenly Angel is replaced by a pony I knew years ago. Suddenly I want to throw the past year out the window.

Celestia didn’t really want to see us. She had me and Cadence meet with a jeweler to have the rings made.

“What happened last night?” Cadence asked me.

“Nothing.”

“You’re hiding something. You didn’t, did you?”

“No! I didn’t sleep with her. I took her to her room, she tried to keep me there, but I found a way out.”

“So why did it take you half an hour to get back to your room?”

“Because I went up to the balcony to think.”

“Think about what?”

“Look Cadence, it was an eventful night and I honestly want to put it behind me. Some things were said, feelings got hurt, ponies got angry. Can we please leave it at that?”

“Alright, fine. So, what are we going to do to convince Auntie Celestia that we shouldn’t be doing this?”

“I don’t know. She seems like she’s on our side, but doesn’t want to call this whole thing off. What’s up with that?”

“I know. It’s not like her to say one thing and then do the complete opposite. She’s always been straight forward with us.”

“She said that she found a way out. Maybe we’re approaching this the wrong way.”

“I got it!” She shouted and then ran out of the room. I wasn’t sure what she was talking about or what she had planned. And then I remembered that I had to tell Angel about last night. It was something I was dreading to do, but it had to be done. I walked back to my room, wrote her a note asking her to come here tonight, and sent Philomena on her way with a treat.

I walked back to the balcony to see if Ruby was still there. She had left and I could see her back at the pool. I decided to stay up there for a while, just biding my time. I eventually went back to my room to get ready for dinner. I thought I heard the fanfare on my way down, but I didn’t see any carriages fly into Canterlot.

Cadence and I got our own table again, but this time there was an extra table with only one chair. The other ponies made it here before Cadence and I started to wonder where she was. She finally ran into the room with a big smile on her face.

“I did it, Golden. I figured out a way out of this whole thing.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Remember how we said that they wanted to be here?”

“Yeah…”

“What if we change that?”

“How?”

“Mares and Gentlecolts,” Cadence said as she stood up, “Prince Golden Shield and I love our families very much. We have decided that if wanted to marry us, you should love our families as much as we do. For that reason I would like you to join me in welcoming, my twin brother, his majesty, the one and only, Prince Blueblood.”

The doors flung open and there he was wearing a tacky white suit that matched his fur color. The room filled with applause and I pulled Cadence back to her chair.

“What are you thinking?” I whispered to her.

“He’s the perfect pony to get these ponies out of here. The mares will hate him because he’s always either hitting on them or he’ll be rude to them. The colts will hate him because what colt doesn’t hate him. They’ll be leaving by the morning.”

“Yeah, but its Blueblood.”

“Suck it up. It’s only for a day and a half.”

“Cadie,” Blueblood said, “I’m glad to see that you’re looking good. As for you prince, I hope you’re well.”

“Hey, you didn’t call me a porter. Thank you Prince Blueblood.”

“Well, I need something out of you. What’s the story of bust over there?” He pointed to Lavender who was sitting with Emerald Chamber, Stardust, Milia, and Gildheart. Those four have started to become close friends and now that Vyxsin has been replaced.

“Don’t even try, Bluey. She wants Golden.”

“We’ll see about that.”

He took his seat at the table, trying to make eye contact with Lavender. I think she noticed and tried her best not to look at him.

“Are you insane?”

“No we’re desperate. After tomorrow, none of them will be here.”

“Yeah, but he thinks I stole Angel from him. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t plotting something right now.”

“Please, it’s Bluey. We both know that he isn’t smart enough to even come up with a complex thought.”

“Alright, but I want him gone as soon as the others leave.”

We didn’t really talk that much that night. We just ate our dinners and deserts and went to our rooms.

“Hey,” Lavender said as I was about to go into my room, “I’ve been trying to find you all day.”

“Please just leave me alone Lavender. I just want to make it to Friday and pretend like none of this ever happened.”

“You don’t mean that.”

“Yes I do. Last night was a complete mistake. I just have to pay the consequences and just get on with my life.”

“Last night wasn’t a mistake. I know it wasn’t and you know it wasn’t.”

“Yes it was. I might have lost the trust of my best friend, who is an expert in love. I defiantly lost Angel’s trust. She’s already insecure and thinks that I’ll leave her for some other pony and now might have lost her all together. And who knows how my other friends will react when they find out. So tell me how it wasn’t a mistake.”

“Because now you have me. I know it wasn’t a mistake because you kissed me as passionately as you could. In an instant, we became one and all of our hopes, passions, fears, anxieties, everything that made us tick. In that one instant we became one and it was beautiful. Everything I wanted from you through sex, I got in one kiss. You love me, don’t you?”

“Please go to bed.”

“Fine. But you know I’m right.” She walked off and I thought I was alone.

“Trouble in paradise?” Blueblood said.

“Leave me alone, Blueblood.”

“Prince Blueblood! What’s the deal with you and her?”

“What do you care?”

“Because if she’s with you, than that means Angel is free. If not, that means I’m getting my swag on.” I got angry and pinned him against the wall across from my room.

“Listen, Blueblood .You are never going to get with Angel. She never loved you and she never will. Even if she was drunk and desperate, she would rather go home alone than with you. You’re not going to touch Lavender. If you do, then I’m going to saw off your horn and shove it in places you don’t want to know.”

“Why do you care so much for these ponies? I could understand if you were attracted to one of them, but that would leave the other one out. So, which one is it?”

I didn’t want to respond. I let him go and went into my room.

“What took you so long?” Angel asked. I had completely forgotten that she was coming. I was just lucky enough that she was sitting on the windowsill and couldn’t hear me through the walls.

“I had to do something.”

“I missed you.” She walked over to me, tossed her arms around my neck, and kissed me. “Did you ever tell Vyxsin that I was sorry?”

“She knows. But there’s something I need to talk to you about.”

“What is it?”

At first I didn’t know how to say it. At first I thought about just blurting it out and get ready for her to slap me. I thought of a better plan. I ease her into the topic, remind her that I love her and that she’s the only pony for me. We might go through a rough patch, but I know our love will be strong enough.

“I kissed Vyxsin.”

So much for my plan. Next I think I’m going to leap off the tower balcony because I make terrible decisions.

“What?” She said after letting what I said process in her mind.

“Last night, I took Vyxsin back to her room. She trapped my in there and talked for a little bit and it turns out that her real name is Lavender. I used to write to her and she was my first real crush. So in the heat of the moment, I kissed her.”

“I can’t believe this.”

“I’m so sorry, Angel.”

“Tell me it didn’t mean anything.”

“What?”

“If you tell me it didn’t mean anything and I believe you, than I can get past it. I can just write it off as a moment of weakness or you trying to get out of a situation. Just please tell me that it didn’t mean anything.”

“I can’t…” I said after a few seconds of silence. Angel burred her head in her hands and started to cry.

“I’m so sorry, Angel. I didn’t mean to hurt you, you know that,” I said as I teared up myself.

“I know, and I should be thankful,” she said through her tears. “Most colts wouldn’t have done what you did. They would have cheated, felt nothing about it, and been on their way. At least you told me instead of me finding out. But I’m still hurt.”

“I know and I’m so sorry.”

We spent some time just crying and hugging each other. It finally came to a point where we stopped, either because we had nothing to cry about anymore or we just couldn’t. We ended up just sitting on my bed starring off to nothing.

“So, that now?” I asked

“I don’t know,” She said with a somber tone. “Any ideas?”

“No.”

“Why don’t we talk about what’s next for us.”

“Okay.”

“Do you love her? Vyxsin or Lavender?”

“No. I mean I don’t think so.”

“It’s either a no or a yes.”

“I feel something for her, but not the same way I felt about you.”

“Felt? So you don’t love me anymore?”

“I didn’t say that.”

“So you do still love me?”

“I didn’t say that. I’m just confused.”

“What are you confused about?”

“Everything. I just feel lost and I have no idea what I’m doing any more. I don’t know why my mom is doing this. I don’t know how my friends will react when they find out what happened. Worst of all, I don’t know what’s going to happen with us.”

“Good, I thought I was the only one.”

“We have to figure out what’s we’re going to do.”

“I know, but I don’t want to.”

“Neither do I.”

“What if we say that we’re taking a break from each other?”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s like an unofficial break up. We can be with other ponies and if we feel like we want to get back together, than we can.”

“I don’t know. Doesn’t that mean that we’re in a grey area?”

“Yeah, but I don’t want to lose you forever. I still feel something for you, but I don’t think we can be together right now. Look it’s all we got. And besides, if we decide that we don’t want to be together later on, than we can break up for real.”

“Okay. I’m fine with that.”

“One last one for the road.”

We kissed one more time before she left. I didn’t really want to be alone, but here I am. I couldn’t believe what just happened. I wanted to go to sleep and get this day over with. I tried to go to sleep for a while. It took me at least half an hour to get to sleep.

I woke up the next day feeling like what happened with Angel was a dream. I know I can’t be thinking about her, at least not right now. I have to think about what was going to happen tomorrow. And then I realized that Blueblood was still here and Cadence was probably going to shove him down their throats.

I still got ready for the day and walked to breakfast. When I entered the room, some of the other ponies were already there chattering away. They turned to me when they saw me enter.

“Prince,” Star Dancer said, “You have to do something about Prince Blueblood. He’s messing up my aura and he brings a negative vibe to this whole place.”

“He told me that I sucked and shouldn’t be allowed to even talk.” Jazz Bass said.

“What’s wrong with those two?” I said when I noticed Emerald and Stardust looking depressed.

“He spoiled the new Doctor Whooves and Daring Do books for them.” Masquerade said.

“Fuck off you white shit!” Night Shade yelled from the hall way. She busted into the room and took a seat. “I swear to god, if any one of you even says one fucking word to me, then I’ll have your fucking head. And if that prick thanks he can get away with this than I’m going to shove my hoof so far up his ass that it’s going to come out of his mouth and I’ll make him taste his own shit.”

“Okay,” I said, “I know that Blueblood is hard to deal with, but you just have to put up with it for one more day. Trust me, the best way to deal with him is to avoid him or just completely ignore him. Besides I have an idea that will keep him occupied all day.”

We waited a bit longer for the right pony to walk through the door. I never thought it would happen, but I was glad to see Chatter Box walk into the room.

“Chatter Box,” I said the second I saw her, “Before you say anything, I have something to tell you. Prince Blueblood said that he wants to know everything about you. If you hurry you might be able to catch him before so you can start early.”

A big smile came across her face. She ran out of the room and went to look for Blueblood. Everypony started to cheer when they realized what I was doing. I even think I saw Night Shade smile just a little bit. Everypony was happy that it started to work as we could vaguely hear Chatter Box started to tell her life story. I felt satisfied and a little proud. Cadence came into the room when the celebration started to die down.

“Can I talk to you, in private” Cadence said to me. We walked out of the room and into the main foyer.

“What’s up?”

“First off.” Cadence smacked me without any warning. “How could you do that? How could you have kissed Vyxsin with your marefriend just around the corner?”

“Ow. How did you find out?”

“Angel came to me last night.”

“I didn’t kiss Vyxsin. I kissed Lavender.”

“You mean that mare you had a crush on when you were seven?”

“Yeah. She created this persona because she believed that if we had sex, I had to marry her. The only problem was that Lavender isn’t that brave, but Vyxsin was. She promised me that Vyxsin’s gone now and she’s going to try and make amends for everything she did.”

“She left that part out. Are you going to be okay?”

“I think so.”

“Well if you need anything, than I’m here.” We hugged and went back to have breakfast. She was a little disappointed that Chatter Box got to Blueblood. The best part about my plan is that even if he yells at her, she’ll start talking about how yelling works or will tell a story about being yelled at.

The day didn’t go the way Cadence had planned because of my interference, but it was still a nice day. I started off by learning T’ai Chi with Star Dancer. Jazz Bass played a free concert for us and things got interesting when I invited Octavia over to play her cello. I spent some time talking to Milia, but that was just so I could hear her rhyming. I went to the café one more time with the twins just to get a coffee, but we really did enjoy ourselves. After dinner, we were treated to a movie night. It was one of mine and Cadence’s favorites. A great story about a mentally challenged colt who turns out to be the key points in some historical events.

I slept pretty easily that night, despite knowing what was going to happen the next day. I tried not to think about it.

I was awoken by Cadence the next day who had to shake me awake.

“Come on, Golden. We have to get ready for today.”

“It has to be 6 in the morning.”

“I know, but the ceremony is at noon and it take four hours to get ready and Auntie Celestia said that there’s a final chance party or something right before it. You have to get up.”

“Fine,” I said as I got up.

“There’s a Velvet Gown original over there. Auntie Celestia wants you to wear it.”

I didn’t look at the outfit. I just walked past Cadence to take a shower. I did look at it when I got back and Velvet Gown failed to disappoint. At first glance it looked like just a normal suit, but as I brought it to the sunlight, a few sewn-in gems started to change colors. The gems continued to change colors as they move from light to light. I spent some time playing with them before I got dressed. A little while after I got dressed, the castle’s mane dressers came in to make sure everything was perfect. By the time I was finished, it was ten and I had to go to that “Last Chance” party.

I knocked on Cadence’s door so we could walk in together. Cadence looked stunning. Her dress a light blue and had gems sewn in it, but her’s didn’t change with the light. Instead, her’s started to shine brighter as the dress moved. Her mane and make-up was done in a traditional Canterlot style, but it still had something that screamed Cadence.

“Wow.”

“I know. Velvet Gown outdid herself this time. Both of us look amazing.”

She grabbed my arm and we walked into the royal dinning room. When we entered, all the other ponies cheered. Most of them were wearing nice outfits, the only exception was Night Shade who wearing torn up jeans and an old T-shirt. We started to socialize a bit, but we never left each other.

“Cheers mates,” Gawain said as he handed us some punch.

“Thank you, Gawain,” Cadence said, but I noticed something different about her.

“Hold on,” I said before she was able to take a drink. “Say his name.”

“Gawain.” There it is again.

“One more time.”

“Why do you want me to say Gawain’s name so many times? I can say his name all day. Gawain, Gawain, Gawain.”

“Cadence, you’re not biting your lip.” She froze when she realized what happened. I took her cup of punch and took in a big whiff. “Milia, come over her and smell this.”

“This smells like a love potion that was stolen from my room.
Gawain took it so he can become the Princess’s groom.”

“You’ve been sneaking it into Cadences drinks all week.”

“This would have been the last drink
One more and the Princess would start to think
That she loves him and would have given him the ring
For her heart would have truly sing.”

“Fine, you caught me. I’ve been slipping a potion to Mi…”

“Don’t you dare finish that name! My name is Cadence, Princess Cadence to you.”

“Or else what? Mi Amora…”

“Guards!” Cadence shouted. They came into the room and held back Gawain. “I want this colt arrested for poisoning a princess.”

“What I did no such thing.”

“I don’t know. You admitted to slipping something into her drinks,” I said.

“It was a love potion that I stole from the zebra.”

“Why would I bring a love potion?
Such a crazy motion.”

“And now you just admitted to larceny, something that will defiantly result in jail time,” Cadence said with a smile. Gawain was dragged away. Cadence dropped the charges later that day, as she was just glad to get rid of him.

“Well that was interesting,” Masquerade said. “About our deal, Cadence.”

“I have to admit that you are a fun pony to be around and you are going to make somepony happy, but that pony isn’t me. I’m sorry, but with Shining in the picture, I can’t see us together. I hope we can still be friends.”

“Don’t worry, Cadence. We made a deal. No harm, no foul. I hope to see you two at my next party.” He slipped on his mask and walked off.

“This is going better than I thought. From my count, I’m only breaking three hearts. It’s either going to be Linebacker, Monologue, Starney, or Jazz. Maybe I can find a way to get those four to turn me down.”

“You still have to choose one don’t you?”

“I did a little more research. We can be turned down, and if all of them say ‘no’, than we’re free. I just need to let Blueblood work his awful magic. What about you? What’s your plan?”

“I’m thinking about just going through with it.”

“What? You and Angel are just going through a break not a full on break up.”

“I know, but what if we do, I wouldn’t have to get married for two more years. A lot can happen in two years.”

“I think you can make it another two years.”

“I cheated on her after one.”

“It was just a kiss.”

“It was more than that. I felt a burning passion from her, like she knew that we needed each other. The only thing is, I don’t know if we do. I felt something that night and it wasn’t something you feel every day.”

“So, you’re going with Lavender?”

“I don’t know. I took a liking to the twins. It was nice to get to know them, and it wasn’t all about sex or becoming princesses or not being single. They just wanted to find somepony that could love them both.”

“Come on, Golden. You’ve lived with me long enough to know that love is between two ponies. You have to give all of your devotion towards that one pony.”

“I know, but they’re different, I mean the same. They’re so similar that they’re like the same pony. It would be like loving the same pony twice.”

“I guess.”

“Then there’s Star Darling. She’s a lot of what I want in a mare. Best of all, she can make me smile just by talking to me.”

“So, I can make you do that.”

“It’s not just that. She can make me smile just by talking.”

“So, your decision is between the old flame, the one brain in two bodies, and the one that makes you smile.”

“Any advice?”

“Yeah, stay with Angel.”

“Seriously, Cadence. I don’t know what I’m doing and I really need my best friend.”

“Follow your heart, Golden. It knows best.”

“Thanks.” We talked a bit more and waited to be called to make our decision. When we were, Cadence and I were separated with the others. We were brought into the room first. There were ponies on either end of the room, chattering away. The applauded us when we entered. I looked forward to see Celestia standing in front of two other alicorns. One, the colt, was as black as the night with a few shimmering white spots that looked like stars. The other, a mare, was white. Her mane was strange. It was like a sunset happening, starting out orange towards her head and getting darker the further down it went

Cadence and I walked down the aisle to where Celestia was standing. She smiled at us, but it looked a little forced.

“Mother, father. This is my son. Golden Shield.”

“Would you look at that,” The colt said, “We have a grandchild.”

“Celestia, why didn’t you tell us sooner?”

“You were traveling the world, mother. I didn’t want to disturb you.”

“Feel free to disturb us when you have news like this.”

“You should have said something, Celestia. We came here with a gift Cadence, but not one for him. Who’s the father?”

“I adopted him. He was lost in the Everfree Forrest. I looked for some sort of family, but when no pony came forward, I decided to take him in.”

The doors suddenly flung open the others came in two straight lines, one for mares one for colts. Celestia quickly turned me and Cadence around and put us on either side of her. Flashes started to go off in the crowd as newspaper photographers took their pictures. Some ponies were chattering about the different ponies that were brought in. I overheard some of the conversations. Most of them were about who they liked or didn’t like. I thought that it was weird, seeing as how they are just judging by looks and knew about them.

“Ladies and Gentlecolt,” Princes Celestia said, “We are gathered here to witness a grand tradition. For the past week, these…nineteen ponies have been trying to win the hearts. Unfortunately, most of these ponies will go home broken hearted, but two lucky ponies will be married in two years. The rings please.”

Another pony came through the door holding a pillow with two ring boxes. He was walking slowly, which was apparently a tradition.

“Only nine for Cadence?” Celestia’s mom said, “Looks like you’re raising her to be just like you.”

“I don’t know what happened to him, mother. There were ten when the week started.”

“She scared him off, like you did to, what was it, seven of them?”

“Mother.”

“Quiet dear.”

The rings finally got to us. Cadence and I took a box and looked at each other. There was a bit of fear in her eyes and wasn’t sure what she was going to do.

“Which one of you wants to go first?” Celestia asked. I looked at Cadence. She was terrified and she obviously didn’t want to go through with any of this.

“I’ll go.” I said.

I took in a big gulp and started to walk towards the mares. I first walked past Night Shade. Although she wasn’t smiling, I could tell that she was happy that I kept walking. So was Milia, but she gave me a nod of approval. Chatter Box was didn’t seem that upset that I didn’t stop in front of her. Star Dancer and Starlight were the first that were visibly upset. Emerald was relieved when I walked by her and I figured out why when she made eye contact with Stardust and smiled.

I stood in between the four ponies that were left. I mouthed sorry and walked towards my decision.

“Wait!” Celestia said before I could even take a step.

“Celestia! What are you doing?”

“Making sure that I don’t end up like you, Mother. You made me do this and something drastic happened. Now I fear that I have done the same with my son. The difference between us is that I know when I’ve gone too far. Now I have to do damage control with my son, something you never did for your daughters.”

“It’s how I met your father and do you see how much we love each other. This is a tradition.”

“And now I’m ending it.” She rushed over to me and hugged me. “You don’t have to do this.”

“Thank you,” I said as I hugged her back.

“I’m sorry everypony, but this is over. Should either Cadence or Golden Shield wish to pursue you, than they will seek you out when they are ready. As for now, they are not making a commitment this young.”

“You cannot do this, Celestia.”

“Yes I can, mother. You are no longer in charge.”

“I am still your mother.”

“And I’m his. I decided what’s best for him. I’ve decided that I shouldn’t be doing this. I’m just sorry that I didn’t realize that sooner.” Celestia didn’t say another word. She just rushed me outside and into the Foyer.

“I’m so sorry,” She said as she hugged me again. “I should have never done this to either you or Cadence. I hope that I haven’t done anything.”

“Its fine,” I said as I hugged her back.

“Are you sure nothing’s wrong?”

“No. Angel and I are going through some problems, but it’s going to be okay.”

“I hope so, I really do.”

We hugged a little longer. Some of the ponies in the room made their way out of the castle, but we just stayed there hugging. Cadence eventually joined us. She told us that the ponies went back to their rooms to pack and she called carriages for each of them. I got a chance to talk to my grandfather. We got along pretty well and he gave me a way to contact him any time I needed to.

After some time, I made my way to the landing area in hopes of catching some of the mares. Most of them left already, but there was a few still there. The first ponies I noticed were the twins, who were just about to take off.

“Hey,” I shouted to them, “I just wanted to say, goodbye and I hope that we meet again.”

“You can be honest with us,” Ruby said.

“You were going to choose us, right?” Sapphire said.

“I think I’m going to keep that secret to myself. What I will say, is that you may see me when I’m ready.”

They smiled and hugged me both, got in their carriage, and flew off.

“Well that was interesting,” Star Darling said.

“So is my life. Thank you for coming.”

“I’m game anytime you want to invite me back. Maybe I’ll just stay next time. That is if you want me to.”

“You know that you’re everything I want in a mare right?”

“I’ll take that as a ‘I’ll see you in two years’”

She kissed me on the cheek and got in her own carriage. I turned around thinking that she was the last one, but then I saw Lavender struggling with her bag. I ran to help her and she smiled at me.

“Thanks,” she said, “I thought I had to pack for two. I’m glad that she’s gone now.”

“She was a little entertaining, at first.”

“Sorry about that. I missed you. I wanted to write to you all for all those years, but I thought about how good it would feel to see you in person.”

“I missed you too and you know they never took back the ring and I still have it in my pocket.”

“Does that mean you were going to choose me?”

“I was thinking about it.”

“While I am flattered, I think your mom was right. I think we should wait until we’re ready. Why don't you try being single for a while? You might find something about yourself that you never knew. We have at least two more years. I will be back and that’s something you can count on.”

I loaded her bag onto the carriage and she kissed me on the cheek.

“One more thing before I go. Vyxsin wanted you to be begging for my flank, do you think you could…” I didn’t let her finish her sentence. I grabbed her by the flank and held her close to me. “Thanks.” I let her go and she too flew off.

I waited until I could no longer see her carriage. When it finally disappeared, I went back inside. I hung my suit up and brought it to the closet. I started to listen to some music.

“Hey,” Cadence said as she let herself in, “So that was interesting.”

“I know. I’m glad it’s over.”

“You and Shining both. He wouldn’t let me go when I went to go see him. I don’t think I’ve ever hear him say ‘I love you’ that many times.”

“That sounds like him.”

“School starts in a week, and you’re going in single.”

“I know. I’m going to be surrounded by mares. I guess this week was good practice.”

“Just out of curiosity, who were you going for?”

“She knows.”

Author's Note:

Well that was fun. I know some of you have some mix emotions, but I think a good story should do that. It should make you feel like you don't know if you want to keep reading.

Thank you guys for reading it. A welcome to anyone that's new and I hope that you enjoy they story. I love reading all of your comments as much as you guys enjoy the story.

I'm a little curious on who you thought Golden picked and who did you want him to pick.

Read On!