• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,457 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,457

Chapter 9: Freshmen

There we were. The five of us about to start an adventure that none of us are prepared for. High School. We all walked in together and found where we get our class schedule. It was amazing how many ponies there were. It was like the dining room, but more spread out. I found my table where, like in first grade, there was a mare sitting on the other side.

“Name please,” she said

“Golden Shield.”

“Golden Shield? As in Prince Golden Shield?” she put her head down as if she was bowing to me. I looked over to Cadence’s line and saw the same thing was happening to her. She looked over at me and rolled her eyes.

“Please, don’t bow. And it’s just Golden Shield.”

“I’m sorry, I’m just not sure how to act. I’ve never been in the presence of a prince.” She started going through a stack of schedules until she pulled out mine. “Enjoy your year.”

After we got our schedules, the five of us met up so we could see what classes we have together. Octavia, Vinyl, and I had first and second period together, while Shining and Cadence shared theirs. Cadence, Octavia, and I had our third period together and Vinyl and Shining had theirs together. I gave Vinyl a little smirk and she mouthed “shut up” to me. I don’t think the others saw us. The five of us all had the same fourth and fifth period together. Only Octavia and I shared our sixth period.

“Well, at least we have lunch, fourth, and fifth together,” Vinyl said as the bell rang.

With the help of a kind eleventh grader, the three of us found our way to the gym for our first class: PE. At first, we were just standing around on the basketball courts with numbers panted on the blacktop. When the teachers came out, they were holding signs with their names on it. We found ours, Coach Back Stroke. She was the coach for the swimming and diving team. She tried transferring those skills to a regular PE class, but it never worked out. She ended up being too strict. I didn’t really mind though and she always liked me.

Our second period was Biology. Our teacher, Mrs. Heart, wasn’t very good. All she would really do was tell us to read a part of the textbook and answer the questions at the end of the section. Octavia, Vinyl, and I were able to finish the work quickly, but it didn’t really feel like learning. It was, however, basically a free “A”, so none of us were really complaining.

Our third period was Language Arts. Octavia and I waited outside the class for Cadence. We stayed outside until about a minute before the bell rang. We were in shock that Cadence would ditch a class, especially on the first day. We went inside and started laughing at what we saw. Cadence made it to the class before us and saved us the seats next to her. It became an inside joke between the three of us, where one of us would save a seat and the other two will just wait.

The teacher, Mr. Paper Back, is a bit older and vary easy going, but he still taught. While he like to joke around with his class, he would still get serious when he needs to. The three of us liked him more than any other teacher.

We had lunch next. Octavia, Cadence, and I found a table and waited for Vinyl and Shining. I started chuckling to myself at just the thought of those two alone. I think Octavia noticed, but she knew when somepony wanted to be discreet and she knew when the perfect time to strike was. Vinyl and Shining finally showed up. They took a seat, and almost immediately Vinyl slammed her head down on the table.

“Ow,” she said with a muffled voice.

“What’s wrong?” Cadence asked

“We got the worst Language Art teacher,” Shining said as he too slammed his head on the table, only he was smart to use his arms to cushion his head.

“It can’t be that bad,” Octavia said while patting Shining back in a comforting way. I was doing the same to Vinyl.

“We have to get some book called The Good Soil and we need to have the first chapter done by Wednesday.”

I read The Good Soil one day when Cadence was sick. I found it dry and the main character a little whiney. If I barely made it through the entire book, I have no idea how far those two will get.

“I think there’s are copies in the library.” Cadence said

“I don’t care if I can get the book,” Vinyl’s voice was still muffled as she didn’t even bother to lift her head to talk, “I just don’t want to read it.”

“You know, I read it.” Vinyl and Shining’s heads shot up and their eye grew with a bit of hope. “I could help you guys out.”

“Will you tell us what happens?!” Vinyl grabbed me and shoved her face into mine. It scared me a little, but it’s what I’ve come to expect of her. I’m not one for ruining books, however, it was such a boring book that I didn’t mind.

“I guess, but I think that you should still read the book. Teachers always ask questions about the little things.”

The rest of lunch was normal. We ate and talked until the bell rang. When it did ring, we walked to our Geometry class. Our teacher turned out to be the only griffon on staff. He was the only one not to freak out over having a prince and or princess in his class. It was a nice change and I think I liked him more for it.

Our fifth period was Griffon/Dragon History. Ponies, as a society, know very little about dragons, so the school system just put the two classes together. I liked our teacher, Mrs. Globe. She was a bit older and softer spoken, but she is easily approachable and always willing to help.

Finally, Octavia and I walked off to our sixth period class, Health. Our teacher was a bit off and eccentric, but he was funny.

“So, what were you laughing about?” Octavia asked after we took our seats. Like I said, Octavia always knew the perfect time to strike.

“Just a joke.”

“Tell it to me.” Octavia knew I was lying, but she’s like a cat playing with its food before it tears it apart. I had to come up with one on the spot and I hoped the she would buy it.

“What did the green grape say to the purple grape?” She didn’t respond, only raised an eyebrow. “Breathe!” I started a laugh, but she could tell it was fake.

“You’re an idiot.”

“I know.”

“So, why were you laughing?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Why? I thought that we were friends and we don’t keep secrets from each other. Plus I told you about Lightning Arc, so you owe me.”

“We are friends, but I can’t tell you.”

“Why?”

“Because I made a promise to…”

“Vinyl. She told you a secret and made threatened to kill you if you said anything.” It always sacred me how she did that.

“How did you know?”

“Because she told it to me too.”

“You forced it out of her, didn’t you?”

She looked at me and we laughed. We both knew of how she is able persuade people with just the right look, which is something that I loved about her. The teacher started the class, but all it was just a get to know each other day. When the bell rang, Octavia and I got out of the class as quickly as we could. We found the other three in front of the school, but there was a yellow pegasus with a mane like fire talking with them.

“Hello,” Octavia said, “Who’s this?”

“Guys, I would like to introduce you to Spitfire. I met her in my sixth period.”

“Hey. What’s up?” She shook our hands almost lazily. Her hands were soft and she was really laid back.

“Octavia,” She said as the two shook hands.

“Hey I know you,” she said as she shook my hand. “You’re Celestia’s kid.”

“Guilty,” I said. I knew just from that small interaction, we were going to be friends.

“Cool, I never thought that I would meet a prince and a princess in the same day.”

“Don’t call them that!” Vinyl said with a bit of an aggressive tone.

“Did I do something wrong?” Spitfire asked me

“Oh, don’t worry about it. Neither of us really liked to be called Prince or Princess. Please just call me Golden.”

“If you guys don’t mind, she’s going to be hanging out with us for a while.”

“Of course not,” Cadence said, “The more the merrier.”

The six of us went to the park and found our favorite tree to sit under. Spitfire laid down and just looked so relaxed. If it wasn’t for her wings and fire mane, she would look as if she was in her element. I didn’t really notice her cutie mark at first, but it looked like her it should have been a hammock.

“There’s no way your special talent is speed,” I said.

“Why not?”

“You look way to laid back to have anything to do with speed,” Cadence said.

“Oh, you are going to love this.” She started to fly off. When she was far enough away, she started flying faster than any of us have ever any pegasus fly. She was flying so fast that a trail of smoke started following her. She spelt out her name in cursive as we watched in awe.

“I don’t like her,” Vinyl said while we were watching Spitfire fly.

“What? How can you not love her?” Shining asked, somewhat offended.

“There’s just something about her that I can’t put my finger on. Besides, what’s wrong with the five we already have?” Octavia and I knew what it really was, but we were able to hide out giggling.

“Just give her a chance. Who knows, maybe you two can become best friends,” Cadence said.

“Any questions?” Spitfire said as she landed gracefully.

“I’m sold,” I said.

“Oh, we almost forgot,” Cadence said as she remembered that Vinyl and Shining had homework, “We need to get you two a book. Want to come along, Spitfire? We’re going to the castle.” She said that last part in a sing-songy way to try and convince her to come.

“Sure, why not. I always wanted to see the inside of the castle. So, what book do you guys have to get?”

The Good Soil,” Shining said with a sigh.

“Oh, I read that one. I hated every part of it.”

“Well read, athletic. If you were a princess, we wouldn’t need Golden anymore,” Octavia said.

We started walking and joking, except for Vinyl who was still didn’t want Spitfire to be there. At the same time, she didn’t want to actually read the book, so she came along.

When we approached the castle, you could hear Spitfire gulp. It reminded me of my first time seeing the castle. Back before I called Celestia mom, before I knew any of the ponies that I now call friends, back when I was afraid of everything. It reminded me of my nightmares and sent a shiver down my spine. Cadence knew what I was like I was thinking about my nightmares, so she started comforting me. I didn’t notice until Cadence brought it to my attention, but I started crying.

“What’s wrong with him?” Spitfire asked.

“Long story,” Cadence said while still comforting me. “He’ll tell you when he’s ready.”

We walked into the main hall of the castle and it was like watching a kid in a candy store. It was mine and Cadence’s favorite things to do. Get dressed for dinner and watch the ponies enter the castle for the first time. They always had the same reaction. Their eyes would grow big, their jaws would drop to the floor, and finally they would look up at the masterfully crafted rotunda. Spitfire was no exception.

“Come on, the library is this way,” Cadence said leading us the long way. She liked to show off the castle whenever we made a new friend, which was few and far apart. I let her have this moment, because she never gets it. Spitfire was still in awe and hand to be dragged by the arm.

She finally broke her trance about five minutes after we reached the library. I didn’t really understand why until today. Everything looked amazing and well crafted. All the detail in just the sculpting on the walls, the craft of each door, even how each room was lighted said something about the designer. I don’t know why I never saw it before, but it was beautiful. I thought that was the reason why I was crying, but it was quickly dismissed.

“Here we go,” Octavia said as she found two copies of the book.

“Alright, Golden this is where…Golden?” Vinyl started looking for me. I was sitting against a book shelf, with my face buried in my hands. Cadence started comforting me, but nothing she did helped.

“Go find Auntie Celestia,” she said. I didn’t say anything, just nodded. I got up and headed straight for the throne room, where I assumed she was.

“Wait Golden,” Vinyl said trying to run after me, “You have to tell us what happens in the first chapter!” That’s the last thing that I heard before I was out of earshot.

I didn’t know why I was crying, but I was. I knew that there was only one pony that could really comfort me. When I had my nightmares and was calling for my mom, there was only one pony on my mind, only one pony that could make me feel happy.


The guards didn’t stop me from entering the throne room. They saw that I needed Celestia more than ever, so they opened the doors. They didn’t even announce me or have the usual fanfare, my tears were enough. She looked over at me and dropped whatever she was doing and started to run towards me. I started to run towards her, and the only sound in the rooms were the clopping of our hooves hitting the hard floor. We hugged in the middle the room. I think it’s the hardest she’s ever held me and it was defiantly the hardest I’ve ever held her.

“What’s wrong?” I didn’t respond. I was crying too hard to even say anything. “Please Golden, tell me. I can’t stand to see you like this.”

“I don’t know,” I said through my tears.

There was a moment of silence as the two of us hugged. I think she mouthed something, but I was too lost in my tears to care. She, like always does, broke the silence. She was singing her lullaby and petting my head again.

“There, now can you tell me what happened?”

“I don’t know. We brought our new friend home, and watching her see the castle for the first time and then I started crying. I’m not sure why and I tried to stop, but I couldn’t. I’m sorry for interrupting you, mom.”

“You could never interrupt me. I will always have time for you.” She gave me a kiss on the forehead, which I found more soothing than anything else.

The doors opened, again without announcement or fanfare. I looked to see Cadence quickly approaching us with her arms outreached. She looked as if she was on the verge of crying herself. I met her half way and gave her a big hug.

“Thank you for always being there for me.” I whispered into her ear.

“I will always be there for you, but you have to make one promise to me. You have to always be there for me.”

“I promise.”

On that day I understood what my cutie mark meant. I am destined to protect ponies, but not just any ponies. I am destined to protect the royal family. It is my sole duty to always be there for my mom and Cadence, like how they have always been there for me.

The rest of the day went as planned. I returned to the library to be greeted by hugs, some more affectionate than others, but I felt their love just the same. While I was gone, Spitfire had been filled in on my full story and helped Vinyl and Shining in return. At the last minute, Spitfire received an invite to dinner, so she stayed. We enjoyed that dinner, because we knew that it was the first of many where of us enjoyed each other’s company.

I just wish the rest of the night went smoothly. For the first time in nine years, I had a nightmare. For some reason, I was a colt again and was being chased by the darkness in the forest. I was running and trying to blast the darkness back with burst of magic. There was nothing that my magic could do. Whenever I blasted the darkness, it would just reform. I again tripped and started calling for my mom. I looked up and Celestia was standing right there. She helped to my feet and the two of us tried to fight off the darkness, but it soon consumed us.

“I love you, mom.” I said before the darkness covered my head. She grabbed me and held me close.

Suddenly, I saw a bright light coming from the darkness. The light was in the shape of a unicorn and was cutting through the darkness. It was blasting off the darkness in every direction, and this time it didn’t return. When it finally reached us, it bent down on its knees and kissed my forehead. I couldn’t look straight at it because it was so bright. I looked up to Celestia and she just nodded her head. I let go of Celestia and the three of us were able to fight off the darkness.

As the darkness retreated back into the forest, the figure got down on its knees again and kissed me on the cheek. Its brightness started to fade, but I couldn’t make out any features. All I could tell is that it was a mare.

“Mom?” I said right before I woke up to Celestia holding me, like she always does.

----------

It’s been months since I had the nightmare. I told everypony about it. I told them that for a while, I got to meet my mom, even if I never saw her face or heard her voice. They were happy for me of course. Now, whenever I think I’m close to a nightmare, she shows up. I could never make out any facial features and she never talked, but just seeing her there made me happy.

Things have been a bit crazy, relationship wise. First, Shining has had a few marefriend. To all of our surprise, Spitfire wasn’t one of them. He tried too, but she said that she didn’t want a relationship right now. Lightning Arc has made numerous attempts to join our group, but you can understand our trepidations. We all knew that he tried because he wanted to get close to Cadence, but she wouldn’t go for it, knowing her views on the whole relationship thing. There were other colts, but she turned them all down just the same. She credited all the attention to her new mane style.

“You’re welcome,” I would say whenever she would bring it up. It was very pretty. No pony could deny that.

It’s now time for the Homecoming Dance. We won the Griffon Hoofball, which is a little more complicated and off over the pony version, game last night against Cloudsdale 30-25. While he is the best on the freshman team, Shining would have loved to play that night. It hurt him a little that he couldn’t, but he still enjoyed himself.

Every year, Homecoming is held in the castle’s gardens, which made it easy for Cadence and I. While Celestia had us and the maids work harder to give the castle an extra shine. The two of us didn’t mind. The more chores we do, the more we get paid. We were tired after it all, but excited for the dance.

Octavia wanted us to come over to her house to get ready for the dance. It would be smarter if we got ready at the castle instead, but Octavia liked to make an entrance. We couldn’t argue. We really couldn’t. Cadence owed her favor that they won’t talk about and she used her puppy dog face on me.

Octavia’s house was extremely impressive. It was three stories tall. The front door opened to a beautiful foyer. The walls were lined with pictures of her parents at recitals, awards they have won, and famous ponies that they have met. The second biggest picture was a wedding picture. It was masterfully done, but it pales in comparison to the largest picture in the room. It was of Octavia, bowing at her first recital. It captures her beauty, grace, and elegance all from one angle. The rest of the house was nothing compared to that one room, but it didn’t need to. The foyer was impressive enough for the rest of the house.

Shining and I were got ready in about ten or fifteen minutes. Octavia, Cadence, and Spitfire were in Octavia’s bedroom still working on their manes. Vinyl was the only one not to show up, but we assumed that he was going to show up to the dance with Bass Drop. Shining and I were waiting in the guest room until the fillies were ready.

“Two glasses of water,” Octavia’s mom said as she handed both of us a glass of water.

“Thanks, Mrs. String,” Shining and I said together before she left the room.

“To us having a great night,” I said

“I’ll drink to that.”

“I have a question for you. How the hell are you single right now?” Shining started laughing when after he heard that. “No, I’m serious. You’ve had a few fillies after you every time you break up with somepony, but here you are with no date.”

“I don’t know, maybe I’m waiting for somepony.”

“Shining.” I had doubt in my voice.

“I mean it. I want to wait for somepony to realize that she wants me.”

“Is it Vinyl?”

“No comment.”

“Spitfire?”

“No comment.”

“Octavia?”

“No comment.”

“It’s Cadence.”

“No comment.”

“Come on, Shining, just ask her. Who knows, you might get lucky and she just might say yes.”

“Golden, we both know that if I did like Cadence, and I’m not saying that I do, and I asked her, she would defiantly say no.”

“You’ll never know if you try.”

We heard a knock at the door and Octavia’s mom calling for her. A little while later, Octavia stuck her head into the room.

“Golden, I need you.” She said. I looked at Shining and he looked confused. I put on my jacket and followed Octavia. She was wearing a purple dress that went down to her knees and a pair of elbow high gloves. Her mane was straightened, but it looked longer and darker.

“Wow, you look amazing.” I said taking in her entire outfit.

“That’s not important right now. Come with me.” She grabbed my arm and started leading me downstairs. I was wondering what was so important, but then I heard it. Vinyl was downstairs sobbing. I ran ahead just to make sure that I was correct. I was, but I wasn’t happy about it. She was sitting in the dining room just crying her eyes out.

“What happened?” I asked Octavia.

“I don’t know, but I need you to find out while I get my make-up done. I’ll be back as soon as I’m done.” As she said that, it hit me that she wasn’t wearing make-up and she still looked stunning.

“Don’t worry.” I told her. She gave me a hug and went back up stairs. “Are you okay, Vinyl?” I said as I got down on my knees in front of her chair.

“Go away, Golden,” She said through her tears. For a moment, I didn’t believe that it was Vinyl. Crying just seemed so out of character for her. She didn’t even refer to it as crying when Octavia was playing. She called it “liquid pride”. It wasn’t liquid pride this time. This time she was crying “I want to talk to Octavia.”

“Vinyl, you know you can tell me anything. Please just talk to me.”

“No! I want to talk to Octavia!” She was crying ever higher than before at this point. I had to think of something quick, I just wish I thought of something else.

“Alright Vinyl, do you remember when I was sick and you told me your secret?” She only nodded her head. “Now it’s my turn. I’m going to tell you a secret that you have to keep. After I tell you this, you’re going to trust me as much as you do Octavia. Then I want you to tell me what happened.” I leaned in and whispered my secret into her ear. It was like I spoke some magic words because she stopped crying the second I started talking. My secret was something that only I know, and I was very good at hiding it.

“Alright,” she said, “I’ll talk. It’s Bass Drop. When I first brought up the idea of going to the dance he didn’t like it. He thought that school dances were just for the dumbest people at the school. I told him that I didn’t really care about the dance itself, I just wanted all of us to hang out. We put off making a decision until today. We got in a big fight and then we broke up.”

I was again in a state of disbelief. Bass Drop has always wanted to make Vinyl happy, even if he didn’t really want to do it. He sat through Octavia’s recitals, put up with our lunch conversations, and even tried to read some books to try and keep up with me and Spitfire. It was all because Vinyl asked him to try and play nice with us. I just never thought that he would get angry over a little dance.

I now knew why she wanted to talk to Octavia. I knew that she was really the only person who could properly comfort her. But, I was here and Octavia was busy.

“Look Vinyl, if he doesn’t want to try, then he doesn’t deserve you. And if you ask me, he just make the biggest mistake of his life.”

“He didn’t dump me. I dumped him.”

“Why? What else happened?”

“He called me an idiot. He said that I had to be the biggest idiot if I chose the dance over him.”

“Vinyl, you are the furthest thing from an idiot. When Spitfire and I are off talking about some book, you are one of the only ponies that can keep up. In class you are the only one of us that really tries their hardest. And the way you can take any song, even ones that you’ve never heard before, and make it something amazing. is a stroke of genius. Vinyl, if anyone calls you an idiot, they are liars.”

Octavia came down in her make up. She saw that Vinyl stopped crying and was happy about that. I filled her in on what happened. She too was shocked. She pushed pass me to give Vinyl a hug.

“Vinyl,” She said while still hugging her, “if you don’t want to go out tonight, we don’t have to go.”

“I didn’t get called an idiot to not go out.”

The three of us laughed and Octavia took Vinyl upstairs to get her ready. When all the fillies we finally finished, we headed out. Octavia was still in her purple dress, but the make-up gave her an extra shine. Spitfire, had a longer blue dress, with a cut at the bottom to let one leg out. Cadence’s dress was long too. It reminded me of Celestia’s favorite dinner dress, mainly because it was of the colors. Vinyl’s dress was a bit more simple. It was white with pink accents and went a little bit below her knees.

We went outside to find an covered, elongated chariot waiting for us. Somepony’s mom sent it to take us to the castle. It was a nice ride and Octavia got her wish, she got to enter with a bang. It dropped us in front of the gate and stepped out onto a red carpet. I walked Cadence and Octavia in and Shining took Vinyl and Spitfire.

“Look at you guys,” Celestia said as she saw us walk up the red carpet, “If only I had a camera.” As a joke, Celestia started trying to embarrass me. I didn’t mind, because I thought it was a little funny. “Hang on, Golden, you have a little smudge on your cheek.” She licked her finger and started rubbing it on my face.

“Mom, stop. You’re embarrassing me.” The other five and anypony behind us started giggling. I didn’t care, mainly because I knew it was a joke.

The gardens looked fantastic. It was decorated with our school’s colors and a few other things to match the 1920’s theme. The ponies already there were obviously having a great time. We immediately jumped in with the fun. We ate, drank, danced and enjoyed ourselves. When it came to the slow dances, Shining and I switched off between the four of them. A butler came out to the six of us with four envelopes. Shining, Spitfire, Octavia, and Vinyl took one. Each one had the same message and key to one of the bed rooms.

Honored Guest,

You are invited to stay the night her at Canterlot Castle. This message comes with a key to your room for the night. If you should chose to stay, your parents will be notified. Should you choose not to stay, please return the key to the butler that gave you this message.

-Princess Celestia

To mine and Cadence’s delight, they all decided to stay. We spent the rest of the night dancing and one by one we all retired to our rooms. First Spitfire, then Shining, then Cadence, and finally, Vinyl.

“Thanks for your help today,” Vinyl said to me before leaving. She gave me a kiss on the cheek before she left.

Octavia and I were sitting at one of the tables.

“I swear, that was a true story,” I said. Octavia was cracking up at the story.

“Oh Golden, this is why I love hanging out with you. You always know how to make me laugh. Well that and you keep away…”

“Hey sweet flank,” some colt said as he started massaging Octavia. She tried to fight him off, but he was persistent, “why don’t we find a maid’s bedroom and go until you’re senseless.”

“Gross,” She said still trying to fight him off.

“Come on, sweetie. You know you want to.”

“Your first mistake was calling me ‘sweet flank’. I’ll give you a hint, not a lot of us fillies like being called that.”

“Don’t be like that.”

“She said no. I suggest you leave before it gets even more embarrassing for you.”

“Oh, I see. You want your V-card stamped by a prince. Whatever. Just remember this when you find out about his ‘short comings’, you had your chance with me.” He walked away and we never saw him again. We laughed about it and it became an inside joke between us.

“Didn’t even look him in the eye. You ma’am are cold blooded.”

“I try.”

We heard the last call for dances. I stood up and offered her my hand. She took it and I lead her to the dance floor. It was a slow song and we started dancing.

“So, I have to ask you something,” Octavia said while we were dancing, “Do you ever feel attracted to me?”

“What? Why would you ask that?”

“I’ll go first if that makes you feel better. I, at one point, had a thing for you.”

“Really?”

“Why do you sound so shocked? You have to know that most of the fillies in our class talk about you.”

“Really?”

“Stop playing dumb.”

“I’m not playing. Why aren’t they all over me like they are with Shining?”

“I don’t know Prince Golden Shield.”

“Just because I’m a prince? No pony even calls me prince. My own mom, the princess herself, doesn't calls me prince.”

“Whether or not you are called a prince, you still are a prince. Do you know how intimidating that is?”

“I guess it would be. Wait, at one point?”

“Besides Vinyl, you are my best friend. If we dated and it didn’t work out, it would be weird between us. You’re friendship is worth way more to me than something that might not last. Alright, it’s your turn. Have you ever felt anything for me?”

“Octavia, you have to be blind and deaf to not feel anything for you. You are so beautiful that I didn’t notice you weren’t wearing make-up today. And not only that, but your voice is as beautiful as your cello. Anypony would be a fool to not fall for you.”

“So, do you still feel the same way?”

“To be honest, no. I felt the same way. You are one of my closest friends and I don’t want to do anything to ruin that. We haven’t even seen the fillies that Shining dated since they broke up. I never want that to happen to us.”

“Will you dip me to just being friends?”

“To just being friends,” I said as I dipped her.

I know that it may seem like lying, but I’m not. Octavia is somepony that I don’t want to lose and I know a relationship would ruin it.

I walked Octavia to her room. When her door shut I realized that Cadence was standing at her door watching us.

“So what happened?” she asked

“Nothing.”

“Come on Golden, level with me. You expect me to believe that you just spent the last ten minutes with somepony as hot as Octavia and you didn’t try anything. I even slipped the DJ a few bits for a slow song for you two”

“Yup. And you have to stop playing match maker.”

“It’s literally my cutie mark.”

“Fair enough. All we did was talk and we realized that neither of us wanted to ruin our friendship. We decided that it would be better if we stayed friends.”

“Fine, but I swear, I will get you two together.”

The rest of the year was normal. Shining dated a lot, and I mean a lot, of other fillies, Spitfire and I joined the hoofball team, Vinyl got over Bass, Octavia was named given first chair in the school’s symphonic band, and Cadence became the sophomore president. It was a productive year, but I’m glad that it’s over.

When the bell rang the six of us rushed to the castle to finally get some r&r. We came through the front door, threw our bags to the side and celebrated. Celestia came down to the lobby.

“Good afternoon, you guys. How do you feel now that the year is over?”

“Liberated.”

“Stress-free.”

“Like a burden has been lifted from my back.”

“Unbelievably happy.”

“Ecstatic!”

“I finally get the chance to relax,” Cadence said, almost falling to her knees.

“That’s good to hear. Oh and Cadence, guess who’s coming to visit for the summer.”

Her eyes grew big and her pupils shrank as she realized who was coming to Canterlot.

“Oh no.”

Author's Note:

Finally done with that. I am really proud of it and I really can't wait to write the rest of their school year, but their summers are going to be interesting as well.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It was fun to right and bounce around ideas. You should see my idea composition note book, there are so many things scribbled out.

Also, my proof-reader had to quit. If there is anyone who wants to take their spot, just send me a message on why I should pick you.