• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,457 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,457

Chapter 5: School

“Did you just call Auntie Celestia ‘mom’?” Cadence asked me after Princess Celestia left. We started walking towards the front gate to the school. There foals of all kinds running around, talking with friends, or just running around. Most of them had their cutie mark, but that was expected. It was rare for a third grader to not have their cutie mark.

“Yeah, I asked her if I could call her my mom last night,” I told her as we continued walking. It took a while for Cadence to process what I told her, but something eventually connected. “She didn’t exactly say ‘yes’, but she called me her son. I took it as her saying that she’ll let me be her foal.”

“That’s so cute, but what are you going to do when they find your real mom?”

“She’s still my mom, but Celestia is too.”

We came up to a table that said “1st” on it. There was a mare behind it and a short line. We tried to find Shining Armor, but we had no luck. I looked carefully at the neck of each pony in line and noticed that no pony had their cutie mark. I pointed this out to Cadence and she sighed in relief.

Cadence always had a thing for having ponies see her in a positive light. She was different enough, seeing as she was an alicorn. The last thing she needed was something, like not having a cutie mark, that made her stand out more than she already does. It’s why she didn’t want ponies to call her a princess. I tried telling her that it doesn’t really matter, but she didn’t listen.

“Name please,” the mare said to us as we got to the front.

“Cadence.”

“Cadence...” She started to look down at a list which I guess had all of our names on it. “Mi Amore Cadenza?”

“Yeah, but most ponies call me Cadence.”

“Okay, but make sure you tell your teacher. Now, you see that big three over there?” She pointed to a white three drawn out in chalk, “When the bell rings, go and stand over there. Next! Name please”

“Golden Shield.”

“Golden…” She while again looking at her list. “Okay, some place as her. When the bell rings, go and stand over at the three. Next!”

Cadence and I were glad that we got the same class. We finally found Shining Armor, but he was standing on the number 1. We wanted to go talk to him, but the bell rang when we first saw him. All the other foals in our class gathered around our number. We were glad to see that none of them had their cutie mark. When our teacher came, she told us to line up and follow her to the classroom.

There were all types of fillies and colts in our class. Tall, short, light weight, heavy set. Ponies with red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, and almost any other color coat. Earth ponies, unicorns, pegasi, and one alicorn. Cadence wanted to try and hide somewhere in the middle. I didn’t want to argue. I wanted to be somewhat of a face in the crowd. No pony really paying attention to me.

Our teacher, Mrs. Star Heart, is extremely nice and understanding. She never pointed out that Cadence and I lived in the castle, but ponies could still tell Cadence was a princess. It’s pretty hard to hide both a pair of wings and a horn. The kids in our class didn’t mind that she was a princess. In fact, they thought it was cool to have a princess in their class. Most of them argued who got to sit next to Cadence in class. Mrs. Star Heart decided to create a seating chart to end the arguments. I was lucky to get a seat next to her. I think it’s because she know I was her best friend.

We made plenty of friends that day. Ponies saw me and Cadence as a “package deal”, sort to speak. Although almost anypony in our class would say they are our friends, but there were only three other ponies that truly cared about us.

First there was Octavia Melody, a light grey earth pony. She is the daughter of pianist Soprano Symphony and violinist Harmonic Strings. One could say that musical talent is her blood. Any instrument that she picked up, she could play almost immediately. We were shocked to find out that she doesn’t have her cutie mark yet.

“I just haven’t found the right instrument,” she would tell anypony that asked. “It took my father over twenty different instruments before he tried the piano.”

The one thing I love about Octavia was that she never let anypony make fun of her. Whenever somepony tried to say something rude to her, she would come back with something even more insulting with a snap of the finger. The best part as that she was able to do it without losing her grace or class.

Next there was Vinyl Scratch, a white unicorn with a blue mane, similar to Shining Armor. She is to Octavia what I am to Cadence. We never saw them apart and they shared all the same friends. I thought it was an odd paring though. Where Octavia was classy and refined, Vinyl was more playful and clownish. At the same time, Vinyl was as quick witted as Octavia, which made everything even more entertaining.

The final one was of course, Shining Armor. Although we didn’t have the same teacher, we still had recess and lunch. He is a true and honest friend. Cadence and I are so grateful that we met these three. The five of us were inseparable, and everypony knew that.

I just wish every other foal acted the same way. The older colts, mainly in the fourth and fifth grade, like to make fun of Cadence. It’s usually some unicorn colt who thinks he’s better than a princess and wants to prove it or a pegasus who thinks they are faster than she is. Most of the time she was able to shrug it off or one of us was able to come to her defense. But let’s get back to the first day of school, or more so the end of the day.

When Cadence and I started walking home, we had an entire mob of first graders following us. It was a little entertaining to me. Foals trying to get next to us so they could talk to us, some foals fining new friends. I wished that Octavia and Vinyl were able to make their way to us, but I soon got my wish. The closer we got to the castle, the fewer foals followed us. Some of them went home and others were too scared to even go near the castle. They said it was all the guards and how they never break their serious look. In the end, it was just the five of us.

“Do you want to come inside?” Cadence said when we got to the castle’s front gate. “Golden Shield could show you around.”

“Sorry guys, but I can’t,” Vinyl said. She was obviously disappointed, as she always wanted to see inside the castle. “My mom said she had a surprise for me after school, so I better get home.”

“And my dad promised to play Hoof Ball with me today,” Shining Armor said.

“My father wants me to try the flute today,” Octavia said with her high class voice I loved so much. “However, my parents did receive and invite to attend dinner tonight, so I guess I’ll see you there.”

The five of us gave each other hugs and the three of them went home. Cadence and I walked into the castle to find Celestia just happen to walk by.

“How was your first day at school?” Celestia said as she gave us a hug.

At this point in our relationship, Cadence and I could finish each other sentences. She started off this time.

“It was so much fun! Today…”

“We met so many ponies, and…”

“We made so many friends. Like…”

“Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody, who’s the daughter…”

“Of Soprano Symphony and Harmonic Strings. And guess what…”

“They’re coming for dinner tonight!”

Celestia always found it entreating when we did this, mainly because it was never planned.

“That’s wonderful to hear. You two can go play, but I want you ready for dinner by six.”

“Okay, Auntie Celestia.”

“Okay, mom.” Cadence never really got over me calling Celestia mom and giggles every time I do. I didn’t care. All I really knew was that Celestia loved me like a son and I loved her.

Dinner that night was the best I’ve ever had since being at the castle. Cadence, Octavia, and I had a blast being the only three foals at the table. There was one thing that did take me by surprise.

After the main course, Celestia came over to the foal table and asked me to stand next to her. I, of course, did what she asked. Cadence and Octavia had looks of shock and confusion on their faces. She didn’t take her seat, but she did grab my hand. With her other hand, she grabbed her fork and started banging it against her glass. A silence came over the crowd as she stopped.

“Ladies and Gentlecolts,” she said with a booming voice that filled the room, “two years ago, I had to make a stop in Ponyvillle for a night. I woke up in the middle of the night to see a bright light in the Everfree Forest. When I went to investigate, I found this small colt calling for his mother. He couldn’t even remember his name, let alone what his mother looked like. I took him back to the city, but to our misfortune, we couldn’t find her. I decided to take him here, Canterlot, with hopes of finding his mother. It’s here where I gave him the name Golden Shield, just by looking into his eyes and seeing him for who he is and who he will become. Again we failed, but neither of us were willing to give up hope.”

I looked out into the crowd. There were ponies with tears in their eyes and others trying to hold back tears as their heard my story. There was one mare openingly sobbing. I looked up at Celestia and I could see that she too was on the verge of crying. I looked into her eyes and I could tell that she was thinking of all the best times we had together. Even mentioning them now made me tear up.

“His first night in Canterlot, I made him a promise that I would do whatever it takes to find his mother. I have since spent as long as I can trying to find this mare. During this time, the two of us have grown closer and closer. Today, I would like to make a very special announcement. I, Princess Celestia, would like to officially adopt Golden Shield. Please help me in welcoming, Prince Golden Shield.”

The crowd clapped and I tugged on Celestia's hand and she leaned down. I gave her the biggest hug I've ever given her and started crying tears of joy.

Author's Note:

Thanks again for continue reading. I understand if this is your least favorite chapter, I didn't like it much either. I really did enjoy writing Celestia's speech and I hope you did too.

A special thank you to the people following me. You are one of my major motivations to keep writing this story and I really do hope that you enjoy it.

Please understand that I'm starting school soon, but I'll write whenever I can.