• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,457 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,457

Chapter 27: Gala

The Grand Galloping Gala is one of the biggest and most famous events in all of Equestria. One of the only nights where ponies from all over Equestria gather and see the beauty of Canterlot and its beautiful castle. The lucky ticket holders even get to meet Princess Celestia. The one night where ponies, who would have never met under any other circumstances, meet and become lifelong friends. A night where new love is born, old love is rekindled, and present lovers share a beautiful night.

It was also extremely boring.

It’s just really ponies enjoying a night out with Canterlot elite. The only real way to have fun is to bring friends and just hang out. At most, you would really get to talk to one or two ponies that you didn’t know and that lifelong friend thing only happens every once in a while. Ponies here rarely leave their circle of friends and/or associates and the only real thing that brings ponies together is the small concert played by four ponies.

This night, however, was going to be different. Cadence and Shining weren’t going to be there, as Cadence was asked to attend a show in Manehatten and she asked Shining to be her personal guard, but Spitfire and Soarin were going to be back in town. Since leaving, the two started an acrobatic flying team called “The Wonderbolts” and the team has since skyrocketed in popularity. There have even been talks of them opening up their own academy.

Not only that, but tonight is going to be the best night ever. After Octavia performs, I’m going to take the stage and ask her to marry me. I’ve been planning for this for a few months now and there is absolutely no way for any of this to go wrong and she’s going to love everything about it. Octavia’s going to get plenty of attention, she’s going to get a lovely story, and she’s even going to love her ring.

Gem out did himself this time. He told me that it took him a while to find something to put in the center of Celestia’s ring. His first intention was to shape an amethyst crystal into Octavia’s cutie mark and reshape the setting to make it fit, but he was suddenly inspired by a package. A few weeks before I asked him to help with the ring, Gem did some work for Prim Hemline. She was so grateful that she sent him a few gems for his own personal use and one of them was a black, transparent diamond. He already had the amethyst formed perfectly and the setting was untouched. Gem worked his magic and encased the amethyst into the diamond and gave it a bit of a glow and when the sun hits the ring just right, you can see Octavia’s cutie mark shining through it.

I went to work that day promising Octavia that we would meet up before she had to perform. I made sure to take the ring with me so she wouldn’t accidently stumble across it, taking extra precaution by putting a cloaking spell over it and walking to work alone. There was a bit of skip in my step and smile on my face as there was nothing that could bring me down.

“Porter,” Nothing said the second I took a seat at my desk, “My tux hasn’t arrived yet. See to it that I get it by 3 o’clock.” Velvet Gown had made special suits and dresses for the castle staff, royal guards, and Princess Celestia, but it appears no pony had told her about Blueblood.

I wasn’t on real good terms with Blueblood recently. I know we’re never on good terms, but he did something that really pissed me off. Octavia wanted to surprise me one day, so she came to the castle and took me out to lunch. I asked her to wait until I finished some paperwork which was really just reading a few things and making sure that I wasn’t about to sign anything that meant we were going to war. When I did finish, Blueblood was hitting on Octavia outside my office. Luckily, she was repulsed by Blueblood and shot him down. Since then, however, he’s has always asked me about her.

“I’ll see to it,” I said, trying to get him out of my office as quickly as I could.

“Oh and about that mare, Octave, do you know her bra size?”

“First, her name is Octavia. Second, get out.”

“What’s wrong, Porter?”

“You’re hitting on my marefriend, I’ve told you that about a hundred times.”

“I don’t see a ring on her finger.”

“There is. I gave it to her senior year when we went to prom. She never takes it off.”

“So it’s not a wedding ring, which means that she is still available. You know what I say? No ring, no commitment.”

“That makes absolutely no sense. This is the last time I’m going to tell you. Octavia is my marefriend. Back off or else I’ll make you back off.”

“I get it. You just don’t anypony evading on your harem.”

“My what?”

“Don’t act like you don’t have a harem. How many times have you slept with that DJ or that fashion designer? I bet you gave it hard to one of them last night.”

“You’re a pig.”

“That’s not a no…”

“No, I didn’t sleep with Vinyl or Coco. They’re my friends. Now leave me alone.”

“Fine, but how about a little wager. First one to sleep with the cellist will be exclusively her’s.”

“Blueblood, some colt already tried that when we were in high school and it did not end pretty for him. Besides, she is disgusted by you.”

“So, then take the bet. If she is as disgusted by me as you say she is then it’s an easy victory.”

“Blueblood, I have work to do. Go bother someone else.”

He said something under his breath, but I didn’t really care. I quickly sent word to the castle tailor to find something for him and say it was from Velvet, as he wouldn’t even think to look for a violet G. I started working, which started with assigning guards for tonight. As a rite of passage, all first years must be on guard tonight. Seeing as how only eight made it through the last summer training session, I had to decide who was guarding the city tonight. I started looking for the ponies I knew had no interest in the gala. Luckily, there are always a few that volunteer and others that take the job because a bonus is offered tonight, however, all guards are given two free tickets. A guard, for the most part, won’t even use them and will gladly trade them in for the extra bits.

While I was working, Philomena came in and dropped a letter on my desk that was from Cadence sent from Manehatten. I was always grateful for having Philomena around because she was always there for me. I taught her to respond to a spell and she built her endurance so she could fly for miles and miles with no break. She has also recently started to pull pranks with her molting cycles and annoying my guards. I would have told her to stop, but I find it way too entertaining.

I gave Philomena a treat and opened the letter.

Dear Golden Shield,

Shining made me promise to wait until we got back to Canterlot, but I’m just too excited. I begged and begged and he told me that I could at the very least tell you. Shining proposed to me! I know, I can’t believe it either. We were at the performance of the 100th casting of “Spector of the Opera” and when the show ended, the pony playing The Spector called attention to our box. That’s when Shining got down on a knee, pulled out the felt box and asked me to marry him. Of course I said “Yes!” I couldn’t stop saying that magical three letter word. Not only that, but I’ve might of heard a rumor back in Canterlot.

I know you’re about to ask Octavia the same question. I know that she will be as excited as I was and it is going to be just as amazing of a moment. The second we get back to Canterlot you have to tell me the story. Oh, and tell Octavia that I cannot wait to plan our weddings together. This is going to be the best experiences of our lives.

With Much Love and Wishing You the Best of Luck
Princess Cadence

I smiled as I read the letter. Shining had told me his plans shortly after I failed to get her parent’s blessing. I told him that I had also planned to ask my marefriend to marry me and we got a little worried. The last thing we wanted was to have our weddings compete and our marefriends try and outdo each other. Then we remembered that they became extremely good friends since graduation and would want to go through this together.

While I was happy for Cadence, I still had to get some work done before the gala. I did actually get a good amount done before my suit arrived at my office and there wasn’t anything real fancy about it. The only thing that stands out is the violet G, and you had to be looking for that. I did a little more looking and found the inside of the jacket was lined with a gold silk. I smiled because Velvet tried to make it a little more personal. I did a little more searching and came across a pocket. This one was inside the jacket and completely hidden. If I didn’t do a little more searching, I probably wouldn’t have found it. I reached in and found a note.

Princess Celestia told me about your plan. This pocket is the perfect size for a felt box and completely hidden so you can show off the inside of the jacket. Rooting for you.

-VG

So apparently every pony except for Octavia had heard of my plans. I couldn’t be mad. They were just trying to help. I pulled the box out of my pocket and put it in the jacket. I looked over and saw one last pile of early applications for the spring training session. I never figured out why the previous captains never accepted applications year-round. Now I’m reading applications for about a fourth of the day once every other week, but I would rather be doing that then spending a whole day on it. On the other hand, this did mean that we would have to keep track of the accepted ponies

Anyway, I looked at the stack of applications and decided they could wait. They’re not going to get their letters until Hearth's Warming anyway. I changed into my suit, taking a final look to make sure the box was hidden. Velvet truly knows clothing as you couldn’t even see the box even if you’re looking for it.

There was only about an hour to an hour and a half before the guests were scheduled to arrive. I took a quick look at the schedule and saw that the ponies playing tonight were rehearsing in the main hall. I decided to surprise Octavia and watch her practice.

The quartet was made up with a cellist, of course, a pianist, a tuba player, and a harpist. The pianist was Concerto, which would have made me feel uncomfortable, but he had changed. I know in high school, I compared him to Blueblood. He has proven me wrong on all accounts and I’m proud to admit that I was wrong. When he was shut down by Octavia, he took a long look at himself. He saw how he was acting and didn’t like it. He apologized to me and Octavia for the way he acted and said that if he was going to win her heart, he was willing to wait for her. He waited for a few years and realized that we weren’t going break up anytime soon and moved on. He did find somepony else and the two are happy. We’ve even double dated with them.

The tuba player was named Beauty Brass. A relatively new and unknown in Canterlot’s music scene as this was Beauty’s first real concert because she plays the tuba which most ponies will argue has a too “unique” sound to have a solo concert. While this did discourage her a little, Beauty never gave up and tried to find any opportunity to play. Princess Celestia found her on the streets and believed her sound was perfect with the other two ponies that already confirmed their appearance. I believe this is what she needs to get her foot in the door because her tuba sounds perfect with the others.

Finally, there was Parish Nandermane, the harpist. He seemed to have the biggest ego of the group, but some might argue that he deserves it. Last year alone, he was named Pony Magazine’s sexist stallion alive, their second best classical musician, and one of their ponies to watch next year. Mares wanted him and stallions wanted to be him. Inviting him was almost a no brainer and he instantly accepted.

Octavia, however, stole the show. At first, Princess Celestia struggled with the fourth pony to round off the quartet. She considered violins, flutes, clarinets, and a few other instruments, but didn’t even come close to considering a cello. I suggested to invite Octavia, but she didn’t think a cello would work and I had to beg her to give her a try and even offered to reimburse everypony for their tickets if I was wrong. However, Octavia blew the door off the hinges and her cello worked perfectly with the piano, tuba, and harp.

Her performance wasn’t what made ponies want to watch her, however. It was her dress. Another Velvet Gown original, she wanted to take a risk on this dress, which made both Princess Celestia and myself uneasy. It worked out, however, and it is her best work. The dress both offers and encourages Octavia to move freely and play her heart out, even incorporating her now signature pink bow tie. It’s infused with magic and responds to the music and her movement. Her dress would actually change color to reflect her mood and the mood of the song, which made the show itself something that will definitely draw attention.

When I entered the room, Octavia was lost in her own music. When she did open her eyes and saw me watching her, she smiled and started playing a little more upbeat tone. When it came to her solo, her dress changed to show her happiness and both her dress and piece were beautiful. When they finished playing, Octavia put her cello in its stand, got off the stage as fast as she could, and ran to give me a hug. When she reached me, I picked her up and gave her a spin before giving her a kiss.

“You look fantastic,” she said when our lips parted.

“You know, you say that so much that it’s started to lose all meaning.” Octavia smiled and pulled me into a kiss.

“Awww,” Beauty said.

“Get a room,” Parish said.

“Go kiss your mirror,” Concerto said.

“How long have you two been married?” Beauty asked.

“Oh, we’re not married,” Octavia said. She sounded a little disappointed and wished that she could have answered a different way.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to start anything. I was just thought you were married because Octavia wears that ring and you can just feel how much you two love each other.”

“It’s fine,” Octavia said, this time sounding more comfortable with her responses. “I know that Golden loves me and we will be together no matter what. It doesn’t matter if we have a ring or title, we love each other.”

“That’s sweet. I hope that I can find somepony who loves me like how you love your coltfriend.”

“Are we here to socialize or to play?” Parish said.

“Let them enjoy each other’s company,” Concerto’s marefriend said. She apparently sneaked in while we talking. She was wearing a strapless dress that was mostly a light blue and a bit of black to support her breasts.

Acoustic Scale is a musician but not like the other ponies in this room. She plays the guitar and preforms mostly on the street. She says that she doesn’t need to be paid to reinforce her position in the music career. She first met Concerto when she was playing on the street and something about her caught his attention and he watched her play for hours. This went on for days, without the two of them saying a word, only smiling at each other. Concerto finally asked her on a date. He was a again captivated by her. He asked her on a second date and then a third, making them what they are today.

“It’s good to see you Acoustic, but he’s right. They need to practice.”

Acoustic and I walked out of the main room and started to catch up. I learned that she moved in with Concerto and they have been going strong with no break up in sight. As we were talking, ponies dressed their best started to line up. I looked out of a window and saw the sun start to lower and the moon start to take its place. Nightingale walked by seeming happy seeing as how he had to work the nights and had to miss the gala.

I advised Acoustic to go get in line before it got too long. As her son and the prince of Equestria, I had to stand with Princess Celestia and greet the guests, or at least I had to for the first half hour or so. She was the main attraction, not me.

I walked to the entrance hall and found Celestia at the top of a set of stairs. She was wearing Velvet’s Dress, which was an reimagining of her favorite dress. The dress, combined with her smile, was warm and inviting and told you that nothing bad will happen. I smiled back and took my place next to her.

“You look handsome,” she said.

“Thanks mom,” I said still smiling.

“Did Velvet do something special for your surprise?”

I opened up the jacket, pulled out the felt box, and handed it to her. She opened it and covered her mouth at the beauty of the ring.

“It’s beautiful,” She said as she closed the box and handed it back to me. “Octavia is going to love it.”

“You haven’t seen the best part. When the light hits it just right, her cutie mark appears in the ring. I really want to thank you mom.”

“Golden, you’ve thanked me since the day I found you.”

“I know, but I wouldn’t be the stallion I am today if it wasn’t for you. I’m not talking about finding me either. You raised me to be the pony strong enough to take on the role of Captain of the Royal Guard. You raised the pony that Octavia loves and a pony that can love her like no other. If it wasn’t for you, I could have ended up like Blueblood.”

“I would start crying and hug you, but the doors are about to open and I can’t ruin my make-up.”

“I know you would.”

The doors opened and ponies started to flood into the entrance. There were ponies from every walk of life from every corner of Equestria. I sometimes wonder how some ponies buy their tickets or who they knew that could get them a ticket. Soon after the doors opened, ponies started to line up just to be greeted by Princess Celestia. There was every type of pony, personality, and dressed up color coat.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight said after some time.

“Twilight! It is so lovely to see my star student.”

“Oh, I’m so excited to be here! We have so much to catch up on.”

“Well, I want you right by my side the entire evening, so we’ll have plenty of time together.”

“That’s just what I was hoping you’d say.”

“Don’t I get a hug?” I said with a smile. It’s only been a few months and she’s grown so much.

“Sorry, Golden,” she said as we hugged. “I was so excited to see Princess Celestia, I didn’t even see you. How have you been? How’s Cadence and my brother?”

“They’re doing fine. I think you should stay around Canterlot until they get back.”

“I wish I could, but my friend Applejack asked for my help with her apple farm’s budget. What about you and Octavia? Are you two still a couple?”

“They are,” Celestia said. “In fact, isn’t there something that you have to attend to, Golden?”

“Oh right! I have to go Twi, but we’ll catch up later,” I walked to the main hall where ponies were socializing.

“Well look at what we have here,” a familiar voice said as I entered the main hall.

“How dare you show your Canterlot abandoning face around here,” I said to the voice’s owner.

“You’re just jealous because I made it out of this town and became famous, while you’re stuck here giving kids warnings for breaking petty laws.”

“I’m captain now. I could throw you in jail for any reason I want and no pony would question it.”

“You wouldn’t dare.”

“Try me.”

We got into each other’s face, exchanging intimidating looks. I broke first and started laughing.

“Yes!” Spitfire said with a smile. “I win.”

“How have you been?” I asked as I hugged her. “I’ve heard so much about the Wonderbolts since you started it.”

“Yeah, we’re becoming a household name. We’ve even been talking about opening up our own academy to train ponies who want to join. What about you? Are you still with our rising star?”

“No, I broke up with Vinyl a while ago,” I said jokingly, “but Octavia and I are going strong. In fact…” I looked around to make sure that no pony was looking at us. When I was sure that we were unwatched, I showed her the box.

“Are you serious? You’re really going to ask her?”

“Right after they perform, I’m going to ask her in front of every pony.”

“She is going to love that. Looks like Soarn’ wants me to meet somepony. Later Golden. Oh, and I’ll send the happy couple tickets to the Wonderbolt’s derby in a few months,” Spitfire walked off. I smiled as I thought back all the good times we had together.

“How did you do that,” a rainbow maned mare asked me. She was in my face and looked desperate.

“You’re one of Twilight’s friends. Rainbow Dash, right?”

“Yeah, but how did you get to talk to Spitfire?”

“Don’t you remember me? We went on quest to save Princess Celestia.”

“I remember who you are. Golden Shield. Now, how did you get a chance to talk to Spitfire?”

“We’re old friends. She just wanted to do a little bit of catching up.”

“So you don’t have a secret. Alright, thanks anyway.”

“Wait, if you want to talk to Spitfire, just play it cool. Don’t approach her like you did with me and you’ll do fine.”

“Play it cool, got it. Thanks. Now I know why Twilight talks about you all the time.”

Rainbow Dash walked away and I started blushing a bit. I know she made me an honorary BBBFF, but she talks about me all the time? I was flattered, but I needed to stay focused. Staying focused was easier said than done, mainly because of another one of Twilight’s friends, Pinkie Pie I think, was bouncing around and singing. She seemed to think that the gala was some sort of big party with dancing and birthday cake. She was unfortunately shut down by everypony. Too bad. Her version of the gala seemed for fun.

I tried to ignore her and watch Octavia play. I loved watching her play and she loved it when I watched. She would always get lost her in own music and start going off on unrehearsed musical tangents. Octavia would close her eyes, play as if she was possessed, and open her eyes when she was done. She would always look at me first and smile and then the whole cycle would repeat.

“Beautiful set,” a mare said.

“Yeah,” I said, completely mesmerized by the music.

“So, Golden how have you been?”

“Yeah,” I said, still mesmerized.

“I’m carrying your child.”

“What?” I looked over and saw Star Darling sitting at the same table as me.

“Good, you’re not a mindless zombie.”

“Star,” I said with a smile, “what are you doing here?”

“Same as you, enjoying the show. How have you been? Last I heard, you and Octavia started dating.”

“Yeah, we’ve been dating for six years now.”

“Six years? And you haven’t asked the question?”

“No. Neither of us have been ready to really settle down, but I think that’s about to change. What about you? Are you still with that really nice guy?”

“No, we broke up. He did actually ask me to marry him, but I found him with Starlight Secret. You remember her, right?”

“Like totally.”

“Please don’t do that. Anyway, I needed a fresh start, so I moved to Canterlot. As a going away present, the twins got me a ticket to the gala.”

“Wait, you moved to Canterlot?”

“Still unpacking. I’m at 195 Glop Lane, apartment 3C if you want to help.”

“You’re kidding. I’m in 2A.”

“Well, I have to drop by sometime.”

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie took the stage. She whispered something into each of the ponies’ ears and then stepped up to the microphone. She started to sing some rendition of Pony Pokey. The lyrics seemed a bit weird, like they were pertaining to specific situations. I looked over at Octavia and I could see was annoyed. While she didn’t mind playing other ponies’ music, but she liked to add her own spice to it. I saw the face she made when she was about to be swept away by the music, but then Pinkie Pie grabbed her arm, made her play faster, and then knocked her over.

“Octy!” I shouted as I ran onto the stage, “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” she said as I helped her up, “but I don’t think my cello is.” She picked it up and started to examine it. “No! This can’t be happening.”

“What’s wrong?” Beauty asked. “Oh.” The cello fell imperfectly so one of the strings broke. To make matters worse, Pinkie Pie had accidently stepped on the bow, breaking it in two.

“Nonononono, I can’t play with this.”

“It’s okay, Octy. We can find another one and get you a new bow.”

“I don’t want a new one. This is my cello and another one won’t sound the same.”

“Okay, what if we get you a new string?”

“It would take some time to restring and then hours to tune it to perfection. I’m sorry everypony, I cannot play anymore tonight.”

“It’s just as well,” Concerto said, “look.” He pointed to Pinkie Pie who had moved their instruments and replaced them with a DJ station. She started blasting something you would hear at Vinyl’s club. And that’s when things started to take a turn for the worse.

First Pinkie Pie jumped off the stage, which launched a cake that another of Twilight’s friends brought in into the air, which was going to hit Blueblood and yet another one of Twilight’s friends. Blueblood grabbed Rarity, or I think her name was Rarity, and used her as a shield. This caused Rarity to go off and pretty much describe Blueblood perfectly. She ended up splashing frosting on him which caused him to back into a statue and caused it to fall. Rainbow Dash, ignoring my earlier advice, ran to catch the statue and save a few ponies. The statute, however, was too heavy and caused her to stumble around and knock over some pillars and the statue split in two anyway. Celestia and Twilight then entered the room to see the damage that was done. Just when we thought it couldn’t get any worse, the ground started to rumble and the animals in the gardens busted into the main room with Twilight’s final friend yelling at them.

The whole thing was chaotic. There were ponies and animals running around everywhere. I had to make sure that everypony was taken care of, but I also had to make sure Octavia and Star were safe. I looked around and saw a clear path from the stage to the door the animals came through.

“Run to that door!” I said to the quartet and Star, “Go to your homes and don’t worry about your instruments. I’ll make sure they’re safe. Get out of here as fast as you can!” They didn’t question me and just ran to the door. Octavia didn’t want to leave at first, but I told her that it wasn’t safe here and kissed her.

I jumped off the stage and tried to direct the ponies to their nearest exit, but there were still animals running amuck in the main hall. I looked around for anypony to help. I luckily didn’t see Celestia which probably means she made it out safely and I did see Nightingale trying to do the same thing, but we had to deal with the animals.

“Night!” I shouted to get his attention. “Maneuver 8?”

“Maneuver 8!” He said after taking a quick look around. Nightingale took off and started gathering the birds together so they would fly in one big circle. I did the same with the animals on the ground, but I used my teleportation spell.

“Guards!” We called out as all the animals were running and flying in circles. “Stand and fly in a circle around the animals.” It was still pretty chaotic, but they listened. “Make a hole to the door.” Again, the guards listened and our plan worked. The animals ran straight for the door and out of the castle.

“Good job boys,” Nightingale said, “I’m giving each of you a small bonus. We make a good team,” Nightingale said as he landed next to me.

“Yeah, but something doesn’t feel right.”

“I feel it too. It’s like somepony is still in danger.”

We walked out into the hallway and there was no pony. Besides a few guards who still felt the rush of what just happened, all the guests had left. There was an eerie silence that filled the castle, and then it was broken by a faint scream.

“Octy,” I said. I took off towards the direction of the scream and Nightingale followed. I ran as fast as I could, faster than I ever ran before. The screams got louder and louder until they stopped, but I got what I needed to find her.

Blueblood’s door was locked and wouldn’t budge. I tried kicking it a few times, but it was no good.

“Together!” Nightingale said as he got to the door. “On three. One…two…three!” We both threw ourselves at the door and it gave way.

Inside, we found Octavia unconscious on Blueblood’s bed while he kissed and groped her and making his way down her body. The worst part of it was the welt on Octavia’s head. I was beyond furious at Blueblood and there was no way that he was going to get away with this.

“Blueblood!” I screamed and pulled him off her. “What the fuck are you doing?”

“I planned to get laid tonight and that’s what I’m going to do. If that purple maned bitch isn’t going to fuck me, then she will do just fine.”

“You were going to rape her!”

“You call it rape, I call it persuasion.”

All common sense was thrown out the window. I balled my hand into a fist and threw a fist. I aimed for where he hit Octavia, trying to give him a matching welt. Fortunately for him, Nightingale caught my fist.

“Hold on there,” Nightingale said. “What would punching him solve?”

“Let me go Night. It’s what he deserves!”

“Maybe, but not from you. I know he’s been pissing you off since the day you met him. I know he did and was going to do something awful to your marefriend, and I know he deserves to be knocked out, but you’re captain now. You have a responsibility to be more outstanding than the normal citizen.”

“Fine,” I said while I put my fist down. “You’re still under arrest.” I spun Blueblood around, put his arms behind his back, and bound his hands together.

“I can’t let you do that either.”

“He has to be dealt with, Night.”

“You have a conflict of interest.”

“What are you talking about?”

“He attacked your marefriend, of course you want him to be put away. “

“Ha, there is nothing you can do to me, Porter.”

“You are still under arrest. You assaulted a mare and then tried to rape her. Did you honestly think you would get away with that?”

“But, he can’t arrest me. There’s a conflict of interest.”

“He can’t arrest you, but I can.”

“What?”

“When there is a conflict of interest, the next highest ranking guard or captain makes all decisions. Blueblood, you are under arrest. Guards!” It was a little nice to see Blueblood taken away by the guards, but I had bigger things to deal with.

I rush to the bedside and held Octavia’s hand. She was out cold. I will never forgive Blueblood for this.

“Somepony get The Doctor!”

“Already here, Golden.” The Doctor said as he entered the room.

“How?”

“Philomena. She told me that Octavia was in trouble and need a doctor. Did I forget to mention that I speak phoenix?”

“Good girl.”

The Doctor started to work his magic. He did his test figuring out what was wrong with her. He said something in phoenix and Philomena started to cry on Octavia’s welt. It started going down. He explained that phoenix tears can heal external wounds and he needed the welt to go away before he could continue. I held her hand the entire time and every so often she would squeeze. Octavia is a fighter.

“Magical blast to the head. It was the equivalent of being punched fifteen times by an ametur boxer. I have to be careful or else she will lose memories. First we need to move her to the infirmary.”

“I’ll carry her,” Nightingale said.

“No, she needs me.”

I picked her up making sure to support her head. I kept a certain way so that if she did wake up, I would be the first pony she sees. She didn’t wake up the entire walk or while I placed her on the bed in the infirmary.

“Golden!” Vinyl said as she rushed into the room, “Nightingale caught me up on what happened. How is she doing?”

“Stable for now,” The Doctor said. “I’m going to do something that should help her. She needs somepony to help her remember who she is.”

“Vinyl, grab her other hand.” Vinyl didn’t question it. She ran over to the other side of the bed and grabbed her hand.

“Octy, Vinyl is here. She’s holding your other hand.” Then something beautiful happened. She squeezed our hands.

“She can hear you!” Vinyl said. “Octy, it’s me. Can you hear me? Did you feel that one?”

“No.”

“She can hear me too.”

“Good, she’s still with us. Octavia, I’m going to do something. I want you to concentrate on Golden and Vinyl. Clear your mind about everything else. Only Golden Shield and Vinyl Scratch.”

“I got a squeeze,” I said.

“Me too,” Vinyl said.

“Alright. Allons-y!” The Doctor started to rub Octavia’s head where she was hit. He did this for about half an hour and then moved to the other side. He again did this for thirty minutes and finally to the top of her head. “Okay, now I need you two to do something for her. Dig deep in your heart and tell her what you really think.”

“Octavia. It’s Vinyl. I need you. You keep me grounded and inspire me to do better. Seeing how you love everything you do makes me want to do make my music better. Because of you, I started putting classical music remixes into my sets. You’re my best friend and you get me like no other pony. Without you, I wouldn’t know what I would so with myself. Please Octavia, I need you. I love you like a sister.”

“Golden,” The Doctor said.

“Octavia, you are one of the strongest, smartest, most independent, and most beautiful pony I’ve ever known. Even right now, I can’t help but to be in awe of you. Why you’ve chosen me, I’ll never know, but I’m glad that you did. The first time we kissed, in Applewood, I felt something amazing between us. I realized that I didn’t want to live my life without you. I couldn’t live without you. I can’t even picture a world without you. I love you Octavia and I want you to marry me. Please wake up.”

There wasn’t a response. She laid there not doing anything. She even stopped squeezing. The Doctor felt for a heartbeat and shook his head. I started to cry. She couldn’t die. She wasn’t ready.

“I’m sorry, Golden, Vinyl. I am so, so sorry.”

“No, she can’t!” Vinyl said.

“Yes…” Octavia said faintly.

“Did you hear that?” I asked.

“Hear what?” The Doctor asked

“Yes…” she said again.

“She’s talking. Octavia is alive!” Vinyl said

“I guess her heart actually skipped a few beats.”

“Yes…Golden. Yes.”

“’Yes’ to what?” Vinyl asked.

Just then Octavia opened her eyes and smiled at me.

“You’re serious, right Golden? You want me to marry you? ”

“Yes I’m serious. I was going to wait until after you performed and then ask you in front of everypony. Octavia Melody, will you marry me?” I pulled out the ring and presented it to her.

“Yes, Golden. Yes! Yes! Yes! A million times yes.”

I put the ring on her finger and kissed her. It was just as amazing and magical as the first time we kissed in that bed in Applewood. It wasn’t what I originally imagined, but it was perfect

“Are you crying?” The Doctor asked Vinyl.

“Shut up! My best friends just got engaged. I can cry if I want.”

The Doctor wanted to keep Octavia there for another day, just to be safe. I only left her side once to represent her in Blueblood’s trial. It wasn’t much of a case and he ended up pleading guilty. Nightingale was allowed to pick his punishment. First he is to spend 20 months confined to his room in complete isolation. He was to have zero contact with anypony, his food was even going to be teleported in. Then he is to spend another six months under a silence spell. It was exactly what I wanted.

That night Octavia and I walked back to our apartment for the first time as fiancés. Octavia wanted to put the ugliest parts of the night behind her, so she changed the story. I now carried her out of the main hall, said that I didn’t want to live without her, and asked her once it was safe. She loved the ring and really loved how it looked in the sunlight. She loved how I planned everything out and went to the ends of the earth just to get a blessing. Most of all, she loved how I could take what should have been the worst night of her life and made it perfect.

Author's Note:

Que the fireworks, Mother Celestia is 1 Year Old. To celebrate, I worked hard on this chapter and it is one of my favorites.

I really want to thank my editors, but the most thanks go to everyone who takes the time to read this story. If it wasn't for you, then there was no way that is story would have made it to a year. Thank you guys so much.