• Published 3rd Aug 2013
  • 13,457 Views, 556 Comments

Mother Celestia - jl7895



Princess Celestia becomes the adoptive mother of a young colt. But where did he come from and what happens when he learns the truth?

  • ...
48
 556
 13,457

Chapter 19: Talk

We were outside, just talking about us. We could feel the cool night breeze, which I think helped a little. In an instant, it was like Angel and I were in our own world. It felt as if there was no pony to disturb us and nothing that wanted us. That’s all there was. Just us.

“Where do you want to start?” Angel asked.

“I first want to say that I missed calling you my marefriend.”

“You did?”

“That’s not all. I missed holding you. I missed our inside jokes. But most of all, I missed just being near you.”

“I missed you too, but I also miss my friends in Filydelphia.”

“So we’re just friends now,” I said with a little trepidation.

“I didn’t say that. I just meant that we’re not where we need to be for us to be a couple.”

“We can get there.”

“Do you want to get there?” I hesitated, mainly because I didn’t know how to answer honestly. “That’s what I thought. Golden, if you can’t answer that then how can I trust you again.”

“We can find a way. There’s always a chance.”

“But I don’t want to find a way. I want to see the way and I want to know that I can wake up and know that you love me.”

“Isn’t that what love is? Taking a leap of faith?”

“Yeah a leap of faith, not a leap off a cliff onto jagged rocks. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Who’s to say you won’t cheat on me again.”

“It’s was one kiss in the heat of the moment. I wasn’t thinking straight and I promise that it won’t happen again.”

“I didn’t kiss Blueblood that night when he pulled out that condom. I was faithful to you and this is how you repay me?”

“It was just one kiss.”

“Well I didn’t kiss my foalhood crush.”

“What?”

“When I was back in Fillydelpha, a colt I had a crush on when I was eight asked me out. I could have said yes and dated him for a year. I could have slept with him and you would be none the wiser, but I didn’t.”

“And I appreciate it, but you have to know that I could have been with a lot of mares while you were gone. I didn’t because I loved you.”

There it was. The whole reason why I kissed Lavender and why we were fighting right now. It was silent between us and the tension could be cut with a knife. I was just as shocked as she was about what I just said. She was the first to speak up.

“So you don’t love me anymore.”

I didn’t know what to say next. There was nothing I could say that would make it okay.

“I’m sorry Angel.” She started to cry a bit, but nothing as bad was when I first told her about what happened with me and Lavender.

“I understand, a little. It’s just that I’ve spent so much of my time and energy towards us and then you just say that you don’t love me anymore.”

“I know, but…wait, do you still love me?”

“Why would you even say that?”

“Because I told you that I missed you as a marefriend and you told me that you miss me like just any of your other friends. Do you still love me?”

“I can’t say that I can.”

“When did you realize it?” I asked after a few moments of silence.

“When I saw you hugging Lavender right before you teleported. That was the longest second of my life and I had to watch you hug her the entire time. I felt something between you two. I didn’t want to believe it at first, so I didn’t. I played it off as you trying to protect me from doing something I would regret. I knew that I was right when you told me that you kissed her. You suddenly just became another pony to me.”

“I think we know what’s next.” I said. We both started to cry and we hugged each other one last time before we made it official.

We walked back into the party and went our separate ways. I found my friends sitting on at a table looking like they’re having a good time. I didn’t want to interrupt that, but Cadence saw the numb expression on my face. She hugged me as she realized what happened and took me back to their table.

“What happened?” Spitfire asked.

“Angel and I made it official. We broke-up.”

“I’m sorry Golden,” Octavia said.

“How do you feel?” Shining asked me.

“You know what? I’m fine. I was almost expecting it.”

“Are you sure?” Vinyl asked, “I thought you would be a lot more broken up.”

“You thought or you were hoping?”

“It’s just that I never get to see you really cry. Just once for me?”

“Not in your life.”

The rest of the night was pretty fun. I didn’t think about what just happened and tried to focus on the party. Again, Cadence and Shining tried their best not to act like a couple around me. I would have told them that it was okay, but it was pretty funny watching their prolonged eye contact. When the party ended, we walked Octavia, Spitfire, and Vinyl to their homes. When we finally got to the castle, Cadence and Shining couldn’t hold it in anymore and kissed. I ended up laughing because their horns were glowing and Cadence’s wings were extended. I always thought that there was something funny about the fact that Cadence had a glowing horn and extended wings when she’s in love.

“I’m sorry about that,” Cadence said as we walked back to our rooms.

“I keep telling you guys that I’m fine. You and Shining and can show your affection around me.”

“Are you sure you’re fine? You really shouldn’t be.”

“Why?”

“Because you loved her. Not only that. But you fell in love with her the second you saw her. Golden, you almost punched Blueblood for her.”

“In fairness, I would have almost punched Blueblood period.”

“Either way, you spent so much of your time and energy towards that relationship and then you just ended it. Most ponies would be crushed or devastated. They wouldn’t have fun at a party, especially when they just broke up with their marefriend at that party”

“I think it was a long time coming. We talked about it a little when I told her about what happened. By then I think I was falling out of love with her.”

“Well if you need anything, I’ll always be here for you,” She said and then closed her door.

I know I should be broken up about this whole thing, but I’m not. I think it’s because Lavender was right, I need to be single for a while. I can’t have anything more than a platonic relationship right now because I can only give out platonic love. For once in two years, I had no real desires and it feels great. I went to bed with a smile on my face because I felt this good.

There was a banging on my door the next morning that woke me up. It wouldn’t stop until I opened it. Vinyl was on the other side with a bit of a worried look on her face.

“We need to talk.”

“It’s 7 AM the first day of summer,” I said still half asleep.

“I know, get dressed. I’ll buy you coffee.”

“You have money?”

“Shut up, this is serious.”

I’ve never seen Vinyl like this. Usually she’s usually vary laid back and doesn’t care about a lot of things. Either way she was buying coffee and it’s way too early to try and argue. I got dressed like she said and we walked to the café. We ordered our drinks and found a table, although the latter part wasn’t that hard.

“You want a good pick-me-up? Drink some black coffee. So, why are we up so early?”

“It’s Octavia.”

“Is she okay?”

“She’s fine, for now. Look I don’t think I need to tell you that she likes you. I mean really likes you.”

“Please, we’re just friends. We talked about this freshmen year. Neither one of us want to ruin a friendship with something that might not last.”

“God damn it, you’re blind. You honestly think that sophomore year was just some why to get some creep off her back? What about her transferring to your Language Arts class? And have you noticed how she always wants to sit next to you? She’s playing a bigger game and she wins when she can call you hers. And now that you’re officially single, she has a way to win.”

“Octavia has always been straight forward with me. That’s our unspoken agreement and the testament to our friendship’s strength. Sure, we may have hidden agendas, but if one asks, the other will tell, especially when it comes to something like this.”

“No offence, Golden, but you don’t know anything. Octavia has always had big plans for everything and there’s nothing she loves more than seeing everything play out the way she wants it to. Look, I’m not asking you to stop hanging around Octavia or anything, just be careful what you say around her. Oh, and take this.”

Vinyl took out an untied pink bow tie and gave it to me. I took some time to really look at it. It was the one I gave to Octavia the night she couldn’t preform her first concert.

“This is the bow tie I gave to Octavia.”

“I know. She’s been carrying it around like a security blanket. I snagged it from her when we were getting ready for that party last night.”

“I gave it to her so she would always know that I will be there for her. She needs this.”

“Just take it and don’t give it back to her. Please Golden, it’s for her own good.”

“Why do care so much?”

“Because she’s my best friend and I don’t want to see her get hurt. And to be completely honest, I thought you looked cute with the girl in the garden.”

“So, now you’re meddling in my love life? I’ll see you around, Vinyl. Thanks for the coffee.” I walked back to the castle, finishing my drink on the way. I decided to go up to the balcony to think, like I always do. I was surprised to see Cadence up there when I got there, as I’ve never even thought of Cadence being up here.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“You’re always talking about how you do some of your best thinking up here, so I thought I should try it out.”

“What are you thinking about?”

“Should I break-up with Shining?”

“What? No. Absolutely not. How could you even think of something like that?”

“I was thinking about you and Angel and how you two just fell out of love. Just a year ago, you two were madly in love. I would have place good money on you two getting married. But in an instant, all that didn’t matter and you were just friends. The worst part is that I could actually see the love fade. I started thinking, if it could happen between you two, who’s to say it can’t happen to me and Shining.”

“Because we weren’t meant to be. Something small came in-between us and we let it become this big whole thing. When Shining became a quarterback, you made sure that no mare came between you two. Not only that, but if a mare did, you would have made sure that it didn’t become a big thing. I can’t say I did the same thing. I brought Angel to the castle knowing full well that Vyxsin might pull something.”

“Thanks, Golden. So why are you here?”

“Vinyl thinks that Octavia has a crush on me.”

“Well obviously.”

“Not you too.”

“Think about it Golden. Sophomore year when she was ‘pretending’ to go out with you, why you? Shining and I weren’t going out until the end of the year. She could have explained it to me and I would have been completely fine with it.”

“What should I do?”

“Well she hasn’t brought it up yet, so I wouldn’t say anything about it. If on the off chance that she does say something, I would be honest with her. How do you feel?”

“She’s one of my closest friends and I don’t want to do anything to ruin that.”

“She’s lucky to have a friend like you. I think we all are.”

“I think I’m the lucky one. I mean, I could have been a different pony.”

“What do you mean?”

“What if I could remember my real mom? What if I never left her? What if Celestia never found me in the Everfree Forrest? What if somepony claimed me at Ponyville or here? There was a chance that you and I could have never met. I guess the only good thing would be that I would have never met Blueblood, but that wouldn’t have made up for not knowing you. Everything had to be just right or else none of this would have happened.”

Cadence and I stayed up there and talked for a bit longer. The rest of the day was normal. Well normal compared to the last two summers. Most of it was spent doing what we would do after school. We did spend a little more time with Twilight this summer. She was excited to start her third year as Princess Celestia personal student.

Octavia didn’t bring up any of her feelings. I gave back the bow tie the next day and told her that I found it on the last day of school. She blushed a bit and told me that she was carrying it around to boost her confidence. I asked her how she felt about me and I got the answer I expected. Like I’ve been saying, she didn’t want to ruin a long last friendship for something that could die in a second. However, Vinyl still tried her best to keep us apart. Octavia and I quickly figured out what she was trying to do, so we messed with her a little. We would play hoofsies to an obvious point, or she would insist on sitting next to me at dinner. We really made her jump through hoops to make her keep us apart.

I still couldn’t shake the feeling of how lucky I was. Everything had to fall perfectly in place for me to live this life. If just one thing happened differently, there was a chance that I could have ended as smug as Blueblood.

I woke up one morning and realized that it was my last first day of school.

Author's Note:

I am so sorry. I thought about it for a while and figured it was just their time. I hope this doesn't ruin the story and you keep reading.

I am really grateful that all of you have been reading and giving me your feedback. I love reading what you guys are saying and I hope that you loved reading the story.

Next chapter is their last one in high school and I have been so excited for this.